Martin Solveig on Madonna: she took the lead

elijah

Madonna was listed as Executive Producer for the Timbaland/Timberlake collaborations on HC, and co-producer for everything with Pharrell. Madonna and Stuart Price discussed the direction she wanted to take for her next album after "Confessions". He actually suggested that she get in touch with those three, because she liked their music and he didn't work in that particular style. Of course, he didn't think she should be going in that direction, but ultimately, he encouraged her to go with her gut.

Oh so she tried to get Stuart to make music like theirs? :lol: That would have been awful, so glad he has more of a spine than that.

No, it wasn't like that at all. They were discussing what she wanted to do next musically (Madonna apparently wasn't sure what style she wanted to do), and Stuart asked her who she liked listening to at the moment. She said that she really liked what Timbaland and Timberlake were doing, as well as Pharrell. Stuart then asked her why she didn't contact them to see if they'd be interested in collaborating (it wasn't a case of Madonna saying, "I want us to produce something that sounds like what they're doing" - Stuart explained to the interviewer that he knew he wouldn't be able to produce anything in that vein, which is why he suggested that Madonna contact them).

No "Madonna trying to get Stuart to do something in a certain style", no "Stuart having a spine" - it was just a simple case of Stuart asking her whose music she liked and then suggesting that she work with them :)

Speaking of Stuart, he really doesn't seem to have done much at all in terms of song writing since he worked with Madonna, has he? He did a few tracks with Kylie, but I can't recall anything else of note that he's done (remixes and production aside). Come to think of it, Timbaland and Pharrell haven't done anything major since HC (Timberlake has put his music career on the backbench, so it's not really fare to mention him). Interesting...

well, with the exception of pat leonard and joe henry, not a lot of songwriter/producer have done anything major, and as much as i'm uninterested in HC, i think pharell has done some of his best work with her, and he's gone to the madonna sound and not viceversa... this says a lot of the songwriting and producing skills of Madonna..

Guest bluejean

Speaking of Stuart, he really doesn't seem to have done much at all in terms of song writing since he worked with Madonna, has he? He did a few tracks with Kylie, but I can't recall anything else of note that he's done (remixes and production aside). Come to think of it, Timbaland and Pharrell haven't done anything major since HC (Timberlake has put his music career on the backbench, so it's not really fare to mention him). Interesting...

He worked with Seal and Scissor Sisters, neither were very successful though I don't think.

Oh and btw I just googled him to see what else he's done in terms of producing and I had no idea he produced Take That's Progress/Progressed album and EP. That explains why it sounded so good!

As for Timbaland and Pharrel, I think that is really just a result of the fact Madonna worked with them at the end of their popularity.

I know he's produced quite a lot of material, but I was asking whether he had had a hand in writing any of it. I've just had a look and he's got a few writing credits on Seal's and The Killers' albums, but nothing that is well known. As loomer said, he's a really well-respected and versatile producer, but as a songwriter, he's really only had success with his Madonna collaborations.

Guest bluejean

I know he's produced quite a lot of material, but I was asking whether he had had a hand in writing any of it. I've just had a look and he's got a few writing credits on Seal's and The Killers' albums, but nothing that is well known. As loomer said, he's a really well-respected and versatile producer, but as a songwriter, he's really only had success with his Madonna collaborations.

Oh Seal and Scissor Sisters, that was my answer to your question I just didn't explain myself properly.

I think it would be fair to assume writing pop songs isn't his strong point, prior to Madonna he was more of a remixer/producer wasn't he. And yes, he is a very well respected producer. The difference between him and alot of these "DJ remixers/producers" imo is that he has a classical background.

• 1 month later...