Martin Solveig on Madonna: she took the lead

elijah

I wished she had just done the entire album with Orbit and scrapped the Solveig tracks except for Turn Up the Radio and I Don't Give A or relegated the whole lot to the bonus disc.

William orbit out of sheer love and respect for Madonna would have just helmed the project if she were so hard up for time and kept quiet about it. It would have been a labour of love for him, he is one talented guy. I love his work with Madonna.

We would never have known the extent of her involvement or lack of if it, had just been him producing.

I agree. The project energized something in him. Madonna's involvement in his life dramatically shifted his career and he's ready for prime time again. Love Spent and Falling Free of examples he really wanted to make a substantial work.

Guest bluejean

Run the World (Girls) isn't generic R&B/Pop nor End of Time, Ring the Alarm, or Deja vu. I know you don't like her but your dismissal of her as one of the generic chicks is plain wrong.

An opinion can't be wrong. She's a great singer/performer but I don't think she's some incredible artist. I doubt she writes her songs.

An opinion can't be wrong. She's a great singer/performer but I don't think she's some incredible artist. I doubt she writes her songs.

They are when flippantly dismissive. You don't have to think she's anything special but generic/basic she's not.

Guest bluejean

They are when flippantly dismissive. You don't have to think she's anything special but generic/basic she's not.

I do think she's special, she's a great singer and superstar performer who has done some great songs. She hasn't done anything that strikes me as someone who would go off and work with Mirwais. She's never done anything left of field or daring at all musically. She's a mainstream rnb/pop artist which is perfectly okay. Mariah Carey and even Whitney Houston are/were similar. And I like them too.

I do think she's special, she's a great singer and superstar performer who has done some great songs. She hasn't done anything that strikes me as someone who would go off and work with Mirwais. She's never done anything left of field or daring at all musically. She's a mainstream rnb/pop artist which is perfectly okay. Mariah Carey and even Whitney Houston are/were similar. And I like them too.

Reductive.

While lovely, Love Spent seems a bit too Mumford & Sons, just like Falling Free is a bit too Enya. I really like them, but there's nothing forward (or unique) about Orbit's work anymore. I'm a Sinner doesn't even have the "loveliness" of those two and is a rehash of Run, Beautiful Stranger, and Amazing. He keeps making the same songs over and over. I would not want a whole album with him. It's time to move on.

While Gang Bang and I'm Addicted are not exactly revolutionary, they seem more progressive and forward than anything Orbit did on MDNA. The Chris Brown song he was banging on about is somewhat mediocre, imo. Demolition Crew seem exciting, except for Best Friend.

I do have an issue with the songs Demo tends to work on. It seems like her voice is often in the background and/or drowned out by the music, which seems "louder" and more in the forefront.

While lovely, Love Spent seems a bit too Mumford & Sons, just like Falling Free is a bit too Enya. I really like them, but there's nothing forward (or unique) about Orbit's work anymore. I'm a Sinner doesn't even have the "loveliness" of those two and is a rehash of Run, Beautiful Stranger, and Amazing. He keeps making the same songs over and over. I would not want a whole album with him. It's time to move on.

While Gang Bang and I'm Addicted are not exactly revolutionary, they seem more progressive and forward than anything Orbit did on MDNA. The Chris Brown song he was banging on about is somewhat mediocre, imo. Demolition Crew seem exciting, except for Best Friend.

I do have an issue with the songs Demo tends to work on. It seems like her voice is often in the background and/or drowned out by the music, which seems "louder" and more in the forefront.

The Dems are just following Jam and Lewis protocol. :lol:

I agree. Orbit's songs are beautiful and great, yet the production could be tightened up or switched quite a bit on all of his tracks. Falling Free could go places as opposed to staying as a Disney instrumental (minus the genius bridge, one of my fave moments). Love Spent is too short, the bridge is too short, the Hung Up reference seems unintentional and cheap. I'm A Sinner's chorus was fun the first 20 times.

And that Chris Brown song is dreadful.

Well for starters, Madonna herself said it was her favourite song on the album.

Ok, that might be a reason but that doesn't mean it is popular.

And everyone I've spoken to who are casual fans love the song. A friend who isn't even a Madonna fan at the mention of Madonna said "I love her new song Gang Bang." It's a well liked song. Remember they played the snippet on a US radio station and the announcer said the reaction was overwhelmingly positive and his opinion was "If this was released as a single it would be huge."

I am inclined to agree with you that if this song got some decent exposure, it might have been a hit, but I don't know how Madonna would know this and therefore work with the Demolition Crew again based on private conjecture. If she does indeed love it (and she appears to), I do think that is a better reasoning for her working with them.

I still have a hunch she'll come back with something very pop-oriented. I think if the Demo Crew comes back, their involvement will be minimal.

I love Orbit's work on this record, but I think he's done (and that is probably for the best). He crafts a beautiful song, but he really doesn't bring anything fresh or new to the table anymore.

zzzzzzzz at ANYthing GMAYCRUD Solveibooger (or zzzOrbit has to say) LOL. Mirwais or even Babyface lol would be like Pat Leonard bout now compared to these clowns who spun some whacked/sh*t beats for M!!

Guest bluejean

Reductive.

Feel free to post evidence of Beyonce being some amazing innovator who writes her own songs and is heavily involved in the production process as Madonna is. And sorry but Run The World is a very bland song.

Feel free to post evidence of Beyonce being some amazing innovator who writes her own songs and is heavily involved in the production process as Madonna is. And sorry but Run The World is a very bland song.

You don't hear it in her production you can't hear it.

I love Orbit's work on this record, but I think he's done (and that is probably for the best). He crafts a beautiful song, but he really doesn't bring anything fresh or new to the table anymore.

I like his work on MDNA and i love his work on ROL, but he really does have his own signature sound that isn't really fresh anymore, he's good, and it's not "dated per se, but it's just so expected, you know? It was a nice return collab between the two of them on MDNA, but i wouldn't be sad to see him go and never come back again.

Martin is complete rubbish and i hope she stays away from him for the rest of her life. He's about 10% good, that's it. He's given her some of the worst songs of her career this era, and sadly, they were exposed to the public as the face of this project. This era was gonna flop regardless, but we could have at least had a good singles release from this album to give it some sort of life. Instead we get Give Me A bucket, which is dross, Girl Gone Wild, which i really like but it's very "typical" of her and Turn Down The Radio, a hookless song with one of her most uninspired music videos ever.

Imagine if Gang Bang, I'm Addicted, Beautiful Killer and Some Girls were singles!!!! with the look of the GGW being used in them all :inlove:

I'd personally love to see Mirwais come back, not sure how it would work, his sound is even more particular than Orbit's so it could seem very "been there down that", but he at least injects some sort of testosterone into his productions. Demolition Crew would be another good one as well i guess, they seem to have a pretty good idea of how to turn an utter shit demo into something interesting. Maybe something from Sleigh Bells as well, just not as heavy, i do like their style, but it does cause headaches at times :lol:

As for Beyonce, she's shown signs of thinking outside her usual box, she was working with Sleigh Bells at one point [but it fell through], and she's hinted at different directions with songs like Diva and Run The World, but she's never TRULY been innovative or "interesting" beyond minor influences here and there. Her work always tends to become urban/pop at the end of the day.

She's been carved and shaped too much as an "all ages" act with her fake tears and Vegas hand waves, i doubt she'll ever truly do something against the grain to shock her fans, which is a shame because she's the best live performer we have and her voice is really versatile.

I still wish she'd lose her mind and do a full rock album, after seeing her sing SEX ON FIRE, she'd rip that shit up so hard. Even an M.I.A. type record would be interesting to see, Run The World times 10.

Stuff like her 'B'DAY' album and '4' are certainly not what is heavily featured on the charts, however the music itself is just modern motwon-ish dancey music, it's just Tina Turner 2012 really.

I think it did a fantastic job on the album, putting some fresh dance hook into Madonna's pop. Turn Up The Radio is perfection.

I like GMAYL too. BK is a really good song.

The guy is smart and cool, I like him a lot !

Martin is complete rubbish and i hope she stays away from him for the rest of her life. He's about 10% good, that's it. He's given her some of the worst songs of her career this era, and sadly, they were exposed to the public as the face of this project. This era was gonna flop regardless, but we could have at least had ....

Really? What makes you say that with such conviction?

Beyonce has really tried hard to branch out but let's face it, she's basically Rihanna with better vox, so she's pretty much at the mercy of her hitmakers at any given time.

She's not. Aside from blackness and recording music they're opposite. You believe Single Ladies is a hit behind its producer? I doubt anyone else would've recorded it the same way. They'd change the tempo because as it stands it's very Beyoncé.

That goes for anyone. Would anyone else have made Rude Boy or What's My Name a hit? Often times these songwriters go into the studio to write a song to cater to someone's image. That's why Britney maintains a consistent vibe with her music despite hardly having a hand in any of it.

I feel a little bit sorry for him. So he had the unique chance to work with the biggest star on the planet and he/they decided to release GMAYL as the first single which was quite a flop. I also remember when he raved on twitter about this new cool song he just finished called "B-day song". A few weeks later Madonna decided to put in on the special edition of the album instead of the regular album and decided to end the album with 4 Orbit tracks. One of his very good songs (Beautiful Killer) also never got a chance to shine (not on regular album, not performed on tour). :( Poor Marty.

Always the brides maid never the bride...

Always supporting never the star...

on and on...

Beyonce has really tried hard to branch out but let's face it, she's basically Rihanna with better vox, so she's pretty much at the mercy of her hitmakers at any given time.

I really hope Beyaki would retire. B' Day was good, after that :boring:

I'm really glad that RTW flopped

What didn't you like about RTW?

Actually I liked the song. Im glad it flopped because it was showing that the beyonce machine was coming to a hault. I don't know why but she's been irritating me last few years. Guess its the overexposure and all her whole dumb sweet souther girl persona when she's off stage/sexual sasha fierceness on stage.

Actually I liked the song. Im glad it flopped because it was showing that the beyonce machine was coming to a hault. I don't know why but she's been irritating me last few years. Guess its the overexposure and all her whole dumb sweet souther girl persona when she's off stage/sexual sasha fierceness on stage.

CUBB mentioned Beyoncé being an "all ages act". I don't resent her going for Michael Jackson massive appeal.

Beyonce is manufactured and generic like Rihanna. The only difference is she can sing and dance. The end.

No. That's fine you don't take her seriously but you're adding nothing right now except white noise.

Guest bluejean

I do take her seriously, I take her for what she is. A great singer/performer that has a team of people writing generic pop/rnb songs for her many of which are great.