Martin Solveig on Madonna: she took the lead

elijah

French DJ Martin Solveig says that being Madonna's latest musical boy toy has given him some welcome education and seasoning.

"It's given me a bit more maturity and experience in the process of collaboration with an artist of that level," Solveig, who produced six tracks on Madonna's 2012 release "MDNA" -- including "Beautiful Killer" and "Give Me All Your Luvin' " with Nicki Minaj and M.I.A. -- tells Billboard. He opened for the European leg of Madonna's MDNA Tour and will be on 20 shows in North America.

"Before this I was very, very inexperienced in collaborating with that kind of artist. I realized I was in some ways a little naive. So on a personal level I learned how to make music, not just for myself but really how to work on a collaboration level."

"Hello"

And he's certainly not complaining about the raised profile that's come from the Madonna association.

"It's difficult to really say, but there's a lot happening for me at the moment," Solveig acknowledges. "Of course the fact I collaborated with Madonna is a big deal, but I don't know how much of that is the main thing or the platinum record I had around the world with (2010's) 'Hello' or just the sound I make. It's probably a mix of different things, and I'm trying to stay balanced about everything."

Solveig says the greatest surprise he had in working on "MDNA" was how hands-on Madonna was with the music.

"I had a lot of things in my head, but then I realized it was not going to happen the way I thought -- meaning we were really going to be working together, which is quite unique," he recalls. "A lot of times a singer will just say, 'I like this instrumental' or 'I like this idea' or take a top line and then go work with it. But with Madonna, we worked more old school, really sharing the experience of making music together in a room at the same time. So basically all the plans I had in the first place were gone and she took the lead -- and it was an even better experience."

Madonna's MDNA Tour Hits North America

Now Solveig is hoping to take his own lead and build from the Madonna spotlight. His fourth album, "Smash," is currently being sold via download and comes out physically on Sept. 18, featuring "Hello" as well as other collaborations with "Hello" partner Dragonette along with Bloc Party's Kele Okereke, Dev, Sunday Girl and Idoling.

The 10-song set is built as a "soundtrack" to a series of four short films Solveig created during the past two years, with his music videos using footage from those movies. "It's a bit bizarre as a concept," he notes, "but I'm pretty proud of this. It's a different way of presenting an album."

And Solveig says he hopes to continue meshing film and music together as he moves forward.

"I see myself as a creative person, and I think I want to work as a music producer for the next years and that's what I'm going to keep doing and hopefully work with some more exciting artists like Madonna," he explains. "And then at some point I would love to make the move into the movie industry and direct more short movies or maybe even a feature film. That would be the ultimate dream."

Read more at http://www.billboard.com/news/martin-solveig-feels-smashing-after-madonna-1007904172.story#MZewXlQeldU4171u.99

I feel a little bit sorry for him. So he had the unique chance to work with the biggest star on the planet and he/they decided to release GMAYL as the first single which was quite a flop. I also remember when he raved on twitter about this new cool song he just finished called "B-day song". A few weeks later Madonna decided to put in on the special edition of the album instead of the regular album and decided to end the album with 4 Orbit tracks. One of his very good songs (Beautiful Killer) also never got a chance to shine (not on regular album, not performed on tour). :( Poor Marty.

ATLEAST "I Don't Give A..." Has its time to shine.... That plus BK and TUTR are the best MARTY tracks.

I wonder what his original ideas were for songs....and what ever happened to that supposed leak of a new song they worked on for MDNA?

Guest bluejean

I feel a little bit sorry for him. So he had the unique chance to work with the biggest star on the planet and he/they decided to release GMAYL as the first single which was quite a flop. I also remember when he raved on twitter about this new cool song he just finished called "B-day song". A few weeks later Madonna decided to put in on the special edition of the album instead of the regular album and decided to end the album with 4 Orbit tracks. One of his very good songs (Beautiful Killer) also never got a chance to shine (not on regular album, not performed on tour). :( Poor Marty.

He'll live

FACT nothing produced by him and Madonna is better than "Hello" :)

At least "Beautiful Killer' is good!

It could be the "You'll See" of the tour.

Six of his tracks saw commercial release. MDNA could have been more had Madonna pushed him further to the left. I can't believe how alive William Orbit became on this project. He produced the only classics on the album: Love Spent and Falling Free.

Guest bluejean

The Martin Solveig tracks are the weakest imo. And Orbit the strongest but that isn't surprising, this is the guy who did the Ray of Light album.

I actually really really like the Chris Brown song 'Don't Wake Me Up,' I think Madonna doing that could have been great. A lead single for sure. It's better than GGW or TUTR by miles.

I think he's good at what he does and he seems a nice lad too. Milan and London pre shows with him were great. In Milan he was smiling and enthralled by the crowd a lot more, he obviously felt way more energy from the Milan crowd. Just different crowds, different temperaments . . .

Guest Drowned Bedtime

Often I fantasise about how AWESOME it would have been if Madonna had done "Hello" (as much as I love Dragonette). I think it wouldn't have been *as* big as Hello was due to ageism/blacklisting from radio, but the song is brill.

Guest bluejean

Hmm, I think the fact that the singles flopped mean she probably won't work with him again. She'll be onto something better next album. I can see her working with Demolition Crew next album due to the popularity of Gang Bang. Orbit, I'm not sure. I always felt he was picked as album filler but she ended up liking working with him again more than expected. But maybe the way he's mouthed off online may have turned her off him abit?

I know his letting off steam was too much for everyone else, but Madonna knows he's a serious artist and not a hit-maker looking for the quick buck. I still get chills with the vocal alterations he made on Falling Free.

Hmm, I think the fact that the singles flopped mean she probably won't work with him again. She'll be onto something better next album. I can see her working with Demolition Crew next album due to the popularity of Gang Bang. Orbit, I'm not sure. I always felt he was picked as album filler but she ended up liking working with him again more than expected. But maybe the way he's mouthed off online may have turned her off him abit?

I agree 100%

I'm feeling a Demolition Crew partneship in the works...................................... with a Mirwais touch :wow:

I agree 100%

I'm feeling a Demolition Crew partneship in the works...................................... with a Mirwais touch :wow:

Are you saying they're Mirwais-like or that she'll use them and bring back Mirwais too?

Are you saying they're Mirwais-like or that she'll use them and bring back Mirwais too?

I wish she would bring Mirwais back to do a little work.... but having them as the main producers. What do you think?

I wish she would bring Mirwais back to do a little work.... but having them as the main producers. What do you think?

It would be amazing! Idk if she would come back to Mirwais after AL (remember she said he was too serious and politic), but maybe shes in a new politic ressurgence and with DC production would work out pretty goog. I mean:

Gang Bang

I'm Addicted

Nuff said.

I can see her working with Demolition Crew next album due to the popularity of Gang Bang.

Where is this popular outside this forum? :confused:

I actually think everyone on this project will get the boot. Of course, she still worked with Mirwais after American Life bombed, so who knows? I think Solveig's work is pretty solid, but over time I have grown to love Orbit's work more than his.

As much as I want him back, I'd rather he work with Beyoncé. I want to hear those two mesh.

I actually think everyone on this project will get the boot. Of course, she still worked with Mirwais after American Life bombed, so who knows? I think Solveig's work is pretty solid, but over time I have grown to love Orbit's work more than his.

Martin's work is dated on arrival. Orbit when used properly really is exceptional.

I wished she had just done the entire album with Orbit and scrapped the Solveig tracks except for Turn Up the Radio and I Don't Give A or relegated the whole lot to the bonus disc.

William orbit out of sheer love and respect for Madonna would have just helmed the project if she were so hard up for time and kept quiet about it. It would have been a labour of love for him, he is one talented guy. I love his work with Madonna.

We would never have known the extent of her involvement or lack of if it, had just been him producing.

Guest bluejean

Well for starters, Madonna herself said it was her favourite song on the album. And everyone I've spoken to who are casual fans love the song. A friend who isn't even a Madonna fan at the mention of Madonna said "I love her new song Gang Bang." It's a well liked song. Remember they played the snippet on a US radio station and the announcer said the reaction was overwhelmingly positive and his opinion was "If this was released as a single it would be huge."

Guest bluejean

As much as I want him back, I'd rather he work with Beyoncé. I want to hear those two mesh.

She's generic rnb/pop, she'll never do anything interesting like that. Sweet Dreams was the closest she came. And indeed I think its a shame she did not go more in that direction because it really worked.

I think bringing Mirwais back for Madonna could be interesting. But what is his sound like these days? Has he evolved at all?

Personally I'd rather see her work with new people.

She's generic rnb/pop, she'll never do anything interesting like that. Sweet Dreams was the closest she came. And indeed I think its a shame she did not go more in that direction because it really worked.

Run the World (Girls) isn't generic R&B/Pop nor End of Time, Ring the Alarm, or Deja vu. I know you don't like her but your dismissal of her as one of the generic chicks is plain wrong.