Can any of the tracks off MDNA compete with madonnas classics?

drunkbysix

I love this album so much and it wasn't one of those Madonna records that I loved but still needed time to grow on me. Even Ray of Light needed time to be digested as I just wasn't quite sure how to take it. I remember being really confused and saying to a mate 'It just sounds like a remix album to me,' and he had to assure me that it was great and I was the bigger Madonna fan of the two and still needed reasurance. When I first heard MDNA it was like love at first sight and then falling in love. Gang Bang just floored me (what a fucking beat), Im Addicted knocked me absolutely flat (like your first drug experience), Turn Up The Radio was an absolute classis on first listen and then Love Spent is seriously one of the highlights of her entire 30 year career to me. Someone put it best when they said she takes that song to the heavens when it switches into the 'Love spent, yeah I'm love spent wondering where it all went' part kicks in. Some Girls got the most spins initially and is still a favourite, that beat just crunches and bull dozes everything in it's wake, what a stomper if ever there was one. Falling Free broke my heart and moved me in the same way that Drowned World/Subsistute For Love did in 1998 and Girl Gone Wild has turned out to be the song that I turn to again and again and again, especially after that incredible opening on the tour. It's true that there is a bit of filler on it, I don't care much for Superstar and feel I Fucked Up should be in it's place and I Don't Give A never really resonated with me either and even though I don't really like Beautiful Killer, that song could easily take it's place on the record. To me it's a perfect pop record and it's very NOW and we need to remind ourselves that we were missing the old Madonna spunk and attitude and she brough it back with gusto this time around and then did so again on tour.

Madonna we have missed you

I love this album so much and it wasn't one of those Madonna records that I loved but still needed time to grow on me. Even Ray of Light needed time to be digested as I just wasn't quite sure how to take it. I remember being really confused and saying to a mate 'It just sounds like a remix album to me,' and he had to assure me that it was great and I was the bigger Madonna fan of the two and still needed reasurance. When I first heard MDNA it was like love at first sight and then falling in love. Gang Bang just floored me (what a fucking beat), Im Addicted knocked me absolutely flat (like your first drug experience), Turn Up The Radio was an absolute classis on first listen and then Love Spent is seriously one of the highlights of her entire 30 year career to me. Someone put it best when they said she takes that song to the heavens when it switches into the 'Love spent, yeah I'm love spent wondering where it all went' part kicks in. Some Girls got the most spins initially and is still a favourite, that beat just crunches and bull dozes everything in it's wake, what a stomper if ever there was one. Falling Free broke my heart and moved me in the same way that Drowned World/Subsistute For Love did in 1998 and Girl Gone Wild has turned out to be the song that I turn to again and again and again, especially after that incredible opening on the tour. It's true that there is a bit of filler on it, I don't care much for Superstar and feel I Fucked Up should be in it's place and I Don't Give A never really resonated with me either and even though I don't really like Beautiful Killer, that song could easily take it's place on the record. To me it's a perfect pop record and it's very NOW and we need to remind ourselves that we were missing the old Madonna spunk and attitude and she brough it back with gusto this time around and then did so again on tour.

Madonna we have missed you

:thumbsup:

TUTR is classic Madonna pop.

Love Spent will hold its own with time.

Masterpiece is a classic Madonna ballad type.

Gang Bang can go the way of Human Nature, a classic less known song.

Falling Free is just beautiful and would hold its own.

I'm afraid everything else will feel dated in a while even though I love IDGA and IAS.

Could I'm Addicted be M's "I Feel Love" and sound futuristic for decades?

"I'm Addicted"? Really? I like the song and see people go on about it here, but I've always found it nothing special. But maybe that's because I'd heard a lot of Benassi's stuff before so it didn't stand out like "Gang Bang" or "Falling Free".

Gang Rape is cool and the most interesting and different, it was described as tuneless in the Scotsman review of the concert, but obviously that's the point.. and the last time she did spoken word was JML/Erotica album and well.. of course it doesn't have Beach Boys style melody, but its atonal menacing sound harkens back to No Wave records.

Falling Free was another I had in mind but I think TUTR and Addicted are my faves. I hate Benny Benassi actually, so was shocked that was him.. to me it's very Bobby Orlando/I Feel Love and sounds a lot like old Hi-NRG records such as Divine, super gay! :dramatic: Though not getting to see her do it in concert (it and bloody LAV of all things were cut) has been a bugbear. :americanlife:

Could I'm Addicted be M's "I Feel Love" and sound futuristic for decades?

No cause it's already redolent of Bobby Orlando Hi-NRG records which did the original harder IFL reboot, so unlike Gang Rape not original at all. That's a tall order though! :shock:

GGW, GB, LS, IA ... And GMAYL could become sort of classic

Honestly i still feel that MDNA is a pretty strong album, but music industry nowadays is quite bizarre, everything fades so fast, appart from Adele!

"I'm Addicted"? Really? I like the song and see people go on about it here, but I've always found it nothing special. But maybe that's because I'd heard a lot of Benassi's stuff before so it didn't stand out like "Gang Bang" or "Falling Free".

I think I'm Addicted is classic Madonna, mainly for the clever wordplay and delivery of the lyrics. It may be very Benassi, but the elements of Madonna are all there, down to the wink to Future Lovers

and nod to Like A Prayer. Any DJ could put their stamp on that song in a remix, but the skeleton of that song is pure Madonna. Its also my favorite on MDNA.

Guest pedrohdi

I think Gang Bang, Love Spent, I'm a Sinner, I'm Addicted, Beautiful Killer, Some Girls, Best Friend, I Don't give a... and I Fucked Up are great pop songs, way better then any top 40 hit around the world. But classic only Love spent, Gang Bang is more like Impressive Instant, it's a classic among fans and collectors.

Edited by pedrohdi

None of them are stand alone classics that compare to her most renowned songs.

The only ones that are memorable or significant are Gang Bang, Beautiful Killer and Falling Free.

YES TURN UP THE RADIO iS PURE POP!

tumblr_m791mkoyuI1qhjm0go1_500.gif

Would have deserved to be a hit. An instant classic to me !!

Some tunes had great potential, for sure... shame on the radios for not following...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Everybody has different feelings about MDNA, but I think most of the songs off the album are pretty amazing. The very diverse songs spread throughout the deluxe makes this one of her more interesting albums. I think there are several songs that stand up to her classics, but it is difficult to compare b/c her classics songs & videos have heavily influenced our current pop culture.