A Fearless Madonna Stands Against Repression Amidst Warnings

realityisalways

Novelist Anne Rice commented today about Madonna and her support for the jailed band Pussy Riot. She saluted her and defended her in multiple postings on her facebook page:

"Madonna's a beautiful soul. But oh, how the world fears the sexually liberated woman. And what cynicism and hate are aimed at her. She has always cared about human rights, about human freedom, about freedom of expression, about freedom for artists. She's brave and beautiful. I love her ... Madonna has always had great courage. She has always stood for something. She has always cared about others. She is a beautiful soul ... She's a great popular artist, a giant. And she is good at heart and knows the value of love. I applaud her for her immense courage in always standing up for freedom of expression, for freedom for women, for never forgetting to care about others ... The world fears and hates the sexually liberated and independent woman. Madonna receives a lot of abuse. ---- But she goes right on creating, being free, standing up for gays, being a talented and wonderful artist. What a career she has had! She stands for something. She's brave ... Madonna has been a huge source of good for the gay community. She's a stalwart champion of gay rights and always has been. She is always standing up for gays. She's a beautiful performer. She's truly liberated and truly creative and free ... Again, I salute Madonna for her bravery and for her beauty and for all she has accomplished for human rights in her long and history making career. She's made so many wonderful rock videos; she stands for something. I salute her for speaking up for gays, and for supporting Pussy Riot."

:megamanson: at the bolded part :electropop:

Madonna Sued: Russian Anti-Gay Groups Sue Pop Star For Over $10 Million

Posted: 08/18/2012 1:48 pm Updated: 08/18/2012 7:23 pm

Anti-gay groups in Russia have sued Madonna for more than $10 million for "moral damage suffered by St. Petersburg residents" during a recent concert in the city, according to Reuters and a report from Ria Novosti, Russia's state news agency.

Alexander Pochuyev, a lawyer representing one of the suing parties, told Ria Novosti that attendees of the concert and those who have seen videos of her performance have suffered "psychological stress and emotional shock" because of her "promotion of homosexuality." Pochuyev also said that the pop star "trampled down" an Orthodox cross.

According to Human Rights Watch, the parliament of St. Petersburg earlier this year passed a law that bans “propaganda of sodomy, lesbianism, bisexualism and transgenderism, and pedophilia to minors.”

In March, Madonna called the law a "ridiculous atrocity" and said on her Facebook page that she'd speak about it during her upcoming show.

During her August 9 concert, the singer, who turned 54 last week, told the audience that she was "here to say that the gay community and gay people here and all around the world have the same rights to be treated with dignity, with respect, with tolerance, with compassion, with love," according to a video

As she was speaking, members of the audience

with the words "NO FEAR" written across them.

She also asked members of the 25,000 person crowd to hold up their arms "to show your love and appreciation of the gay community."

"Maybe someone does not see the link but after Madonna's concert maybe some boy becomes gay, some girl becomes lesbian, fewer children are born as a result and this big country cannot defend its borders - for me it causes moral suffering," Alexei Kolotkov, one of the people who filed the suit, said, according to Reuters.

The gay community in Russia has suffered a series of setbacks recently. Moscow, Russia's capital and largest city, last week banned gay pride parades for 100 years.

This is not Madonna's first brush with controversy during her international tour, dubbed MDNA. The singer sparked outrage last month at a concert in Paris when she showed a video depicting the leader of the far-right National Front party with a swastika on her forehead.

WATCH: Madonna's Full St. Petersburg Speech:

I really wish I knew where this "stomping on the cross" accusation was coming from. I think that part alone is what has some people siding against her.. It's in every story I've read but it's a lie is it not?

Novelist Anne Rice commented today about Madonna and her support for the jailed band Pussy Riot. She saluted her and defended her in multiple postings on her facebook page:

"Madonna's a beautiful soul. But oh, how the world fears the sexually liberated woman. And what cynicism and hate are aimed at her. She has always cared about human rights, about human freedom, about freedom of expression, about freedom for artists. She's brave and beautiful. I love her ... Madonna has always had great courage. She has always stood for something. She has always cared about others. She is a beautiful soul ... She's a great popular artist, a giant. And she is good at heart and knows the value of love. I applaud her for her immense courage in always standing up for freedom of expression, for freedom for women, for never forgetting to care about others ... The world fears and hates the sexually liberated and independent woman. Madonna receives a lot of abuse. ---- But she goes right on creating, being free, standing up for gays, being a talented and wonderful artist. What a career she has had! She stands for something. She's brave ... Madonna has been a huge source of good for the gay community. She's a stalwart champion of gay rights and always has been. She is always standing up for gays. She's a beautiful performer. She's truly liberated and truly creative and free ... Again, I salute Madonna for her bravery and for her beauty and for all she has accomplished for human rights in her long and history making career. She's made so many wonderful rock videos; she stands for something. I salute her for speaking up for gays, and for supporting Pussy Riot."

:bow:

I really wish I knew where this "stomping on the cross" accusation was coming from. I think that part alone is what has some people siding against her.. It's in every story I've read but it's a lie is it not?

I keep reading this, too, and it is unsettling ... I saw other people question this in another thread, but no one seems to have responded definitively. I was wondering if they're referring to the part in "Gang Bang" where she uses the horizontal beam of the cross on the motel room wall to get a higher vantage point ... ? I don't know ... that's hardly an "orthodox" cross, though.

Reading those comments on the USA Today site is hurtful. :( I know I should just ignore all the comments on articles -- but it's just so discouraging and disheartening. Even if someone had a legitimate disagreement with her stance, I don't see why people can't voice that without the usual vitriol and venom. It's a good thing Madonna's made of heartier stuff than I am, I guess.

I saw a comment posted saying perhaps the people suing M alluded that her gay rights speech and "propaganda" were so offensive to them that it FELT like she was stomping on the cross? As in, she didn't literally do it, it was just a figure of speech. And the news agencies picking up the story thought they did mean it literally and reported it mistakenly? Idk but that needs to be corrected.

^ Yeah, agreed. Even if it "felt" like that, it's not what she did, and it's being reported as such.

With the way her official post-sentence statement reads (i.e., that she leaves room for someone to disagree with Pussy Riot's choice of venue as inappropriate), I doubt she would so blatantly offend the church there by a gesture like that. Yes, she's opposed the authority of the church in the past, but I don't think she intends to offend the FAITH of Christians in general (as well as those of other faith backgrounds). She just encourages them to follow the teachings whole-heartedly -- that is, the 'spirit of the law' rather than just the 'letter of the law.' Hence her invocation of the "love your neighbor as yourself" summarization of many religions.

• 3 months later...

OMG I get goosebumps thinking back at that month.

It seems so long ago. what a journey this tour has been.