9 August - St. Petersburg

Msig

So Russia has laws against gays?

I thought the US was the only extremely homophopic country in the world. :confused:

I wish that were true. I could name about 10 countries off the top of my head that you are not allowed to visit.

Nicki Richards@nickirichards

Gonna Stand Up and sing loud and proud for everybody tonight here in St. Petersburg. Can you say TOLERANCE, Boys and Girls??!!

So Russia has laws against gays?

I thought the US was the only extremely homophopic country in the world. :confused:

The majority of countries in the world are homophobic... The US is some of the very few countries where gays can get married. In some states...

I wish that were true. I could name about 10 countries off the top of my head that you are not allowed to visit.

You can visit. My boyfriend and I holiday all the time in countries where being gay is illegal and have been to Egypt, India (when it was illegal), Sri Lanka, Gambia, Senegal, Bahrain etc where homosexuality is outlawed. I feel we must visit such places as it helps normalise it for the people who live in these places, and they see we are not what their government portrays us to be. I have had nothing but tolerance and acceptance all over the world, and the only place I have ever experienced homophobia on holiday was in Key West of all places.

Please remember the USA had a ban on HIV positive people entering the country until very recently. This was just as backwards as outdated anti-homosexual laws.

Madonna's first venue in St. Petersburg to be sprayed with holy water

http://www.kyivpost.com/content/russia-and-former-soviet-union/madonnas-first-venue-in-st-petersburg-to-be-sprayed-with-holy-water-311297.html

St. Petersburg - Activists from the Trade Union of Russian Citizens are planning to continue a series of lone protests against Madonna's concert in St. Petersburg, the public movement told Interfax.

"At first we were planning to hold protests outside the Sports and Concert Complex (where her performance will take place), but we dropped this idea because representatives from the LGBT movement will be protesting there. We have decided to go to Dvortsovaya Square tonight," the source said.

It was here that Madonna gave her first performance in St. Petersburg a few years ago, he said. "The time has come to consecrate this place. We have invited a priest to spray holy water onto Dvortsovaya Square," the source said.

The Trade Union of Russian Citizens believes that Madonna has turned its ideas into political demonstrations, having become "an ideological weapon of the West," the source said. "We are against the genocide of morality and ethics. Foreigners have no right to dictate the rules of life to us," the spokesman said.

Madonna is performing in St. Petersburg on Thursday. The show is due to begin on the stage of the Petersburgsky Sports and Concert Complex at 2000 Moscow time. Madonna will sing songs from her new album M.D.N.A. as part of her world tour.

During her performance in Moscow on August 7, Madonna spoke in support of the arrested members of the Pussy Riot punk band. Also, the singer wrote on her Facebook page that during her performance in St. Petersburg she will touch upon the problem of gay rights violations in the city, which banned "propaganda" promoting homosexuality and pedophilia to minors.

Activists from St. Petersburg-based public movements Narodny Sbor and the Trade Union of Russian Citizens held protests against Madonna's concert on the eve of her performance. The U.S. Consulate General warned citizens of a possible physical threat at the pop star's concert. Diplomats urged concert goers to be mindful of their personal safety. Security at the concert will be provided by 350 police officers.

:lmao:

Russia's Deputy Prime Minister just called her an ex-whore on twitter. Just reported on BBC Radio 2 News. According to BBC he used the strongest insulting word that can be possibly used in Russia.

He only used the first letter (б), but every Russian speaker understands what he meant. The word is - блядь.

It's one of the nastiest curses in Russian, if not THE nastiest. It basically means a "slut" or a "whore".

https://twitter.com/rogozin

Russia's Deputy Prime Minister just called her an ex-whore on twitter. Just reported on BBC Radio 2 News. According to BBC he used the strongest insulting word that can be possibly used in Russia.

How dare he call her an ex-whore!

She still is. And proud of it.

Guest ditaluver

On Queerty, one fan wrote the following: "Madonna should be sued for trying to copy Lady Gaga again. She is jumping on Mother Monster's gay rights activism and it is unfair to all of Lady Gaga's little monsters."

Twitter user @JasonStefani tweets, "I hope they shoot Madonna off stage for trying to stand up for gay rights. She is just copying Lady Gaga. It is an insult!"

It will be interesting to see how Madonna's show plays out today. We will keep you updated.

On Queerty, one fan wrote the following: "Madonna should be sued for trying to copy Lady Gaga again. She is jumping on Mother Monster's gay rights activism and it is unfair to all of Lady Gaga's little monsters."

Twitter user @JasonStefani tweets, "I hope they shoot Madonna off stage for trying to stand up for gay rights. She is just copying Lady Gaga. It is an insult!"

It will be interesting to see how Madonna's show plays out today. We will keep you updated.

see her fans are ugly

Pussy Riot has stepped in for Madonna on twitter, as they wrote (from Russian): "it's not clear to us why the self-critical tweet of Deputy Prime Minister is seen as a reference to Madonna". :rotfl: :rotfl:

https://twitter.com/...587297373802499

That is hilarious. I'm officially a fan of theirs now.

Sending positive vibes and love to St. Petersburg.

Can't wait for updates.