Birmingham, July 19

badaboom

I think it's great to have so many newbies here! There's been a real influx with the concert and it's great. I started to feel like Madonna fans were becoming a rare breed these last few months so the more the merrier. Shame about that shitty comment towards you all.

Glad to see you enjoyed the Birmingham show.

This. Why there's so many rude comments when it comes to newbies? When i first came on this forum, i also got rude answers for just stating my opinion. Some olders members need to te remember they've been newbies too and i'm sure they wouldn't appreciated to be called out for their opinion back then.

My +1 for the show mentioned a 'Carta' he talked to at a previous show. He's the very tall chap standing next to me. Super guy from Germany. I'm wondering if you are the same 'Carta'. If so, it's a small Madonna world! This same guy got to sing into the mike during 'Open your Heart' and got to touch the Queen's hand. Alas, I didn't have such luck.

No, that's not the same Carta. The Carta in here is from Australia - I met him at the Copenhagen show.

Guys it was a misunderstanding from my part as Ive already explained and its sorted with the ones concerned. There is no problem whatsoever. Can we move on now? Thanks.

PS.I think Ive always been very sympathetic and friendly with every single person here (maybe with the exception of GimmeSomeMo) and since Ive already apologized.. I don't think I deserve some of the comments Im getting at me now either.

Guys it was a misunderstanding from my part as Ive already explained and its sorted with the ones concerned. There is no problem whatsoever. Can we move on now? Thanks.

PS.I think Ive always been very sympathetic and friendly with every single person here (maybe with the exception of GimmeSomeMo) and since Ive already apologized.. I don't think I deserve some of the comments Im getting at me now either.

NO!!! u will be punished!!! :hornybig:

btw...where's GSM??

another great set of photos barababoom!!! i've you any of the JML part with the screens open?

unfortunately not. i remember looking up at the time thinking 'wtf - that doesn't look right' b/c they were angled and you go see right through between the gaps.

i had seen the show from the side before so initially i thought that that's how the screens were meant to be - to allow the people at the sides to view it properly. it was only afterwards when reading online that i realised that this was a fuck up.

badaboom's pics and review was probably the most enjoyable read I've had of all the MDNA concert reviews. Thanks for sharing, your seats were to DIE FOR. The pic of Brahim bowing to M beats most "professional" shots.

So.... finally got to see the gig at Birmingham NIA and I was very much impressed. I have barely seen any you tube of clips as I didn't want to know what to expect. For me, my fave gigs have been Blonde Ambition, Drowned World and Confessions.

And while it doesn't match up to those, for the most part, it's incredibly entertaining.

Opening Prayer /Girl Gone Wild 9/10

Incredibly dramatic opening, great choreography, gorgeous set... I don't really like the song, but in the context of the performance it worked well.

Revolver 9/10

I'm biased as I'm in the minority of people who like this song for what it is - a great trashy pop tune. Fitted in perfectly with the theme, loved the backdrop screens, despite much of the audience not knowing this track, it went down a storm. Loved it.

Gang Bang 5/10

Again, I still love this track, the performance felt flat. Her running around shooting a few blokes with a dull screen of bloody images behind her. It was only later in the show did she apologise that the whole motel set had broken. So I can only judge on what I've seen and I'm going to look on YouTube later to see what I missed.

Papa Don’t Preach 7/10

Far too brief - a verse and a chorus and I think and then more performance than anything. Although the performance was darkly enjoyable. Just needed a bit more music than theatrics.

Hung Up 7/10

WHile most of the Abba sample's been stripped from it, it did work nicely and a billion times better than the Sticky and Sweet version. Again, would have been nice had it gone on longer.

I Don’t Give A 9/10

She strapped on the guitar again, which most of us don't like, but it wasn't too distracting. Dark, almost satanic like, lovely backdrops, huge, deafening finale. Fantastic.

Express Yourself / Born This Way 9/10

I must admit I was completely lost by the 'storyline' at this point and why she suddenly became a majorette. But it was fantastic to hear such a classic again, and not destroyed with some new mix. Real crowd pleaser.

Turn Up The Radio 4/10

STraight forward guitar performance of a mediocre track. Not bad but no ideas behind it.

Give Me All Your Luvin’ 9/10

HATE this track big time. But a new mix stopped it being fluffy crap; fantastic dance routines, loved the drummers coming out of the sky... one of the most unexpected highlights of the night.

Open Your Heart 7/10

Hmmm... one of my favourite Madonna tracks stripped down and with a melody changed. I enjoyed it, but wouldn't want this to be her new La Isla Bonita where she piles a load of immigrants together and makes them play orange boxes every tour. Nice finale to it. A good one off, now leave it alone luv or go back to the original.

Masterpiece 8/10

Goregously sang, another unexpected highlight. Respect to the backing singers who gave it some oomph. Dull backdrop of WE clips though.

Vogue 10/10

Again, very little dicking around with the original; sounded and looked as fresh as it did when it came out 22 years ago. Wonderful staging; couldnt take my eyes off it.

Candy Shop 3/10

First time I sat down for the whole show. A dull version, uninterestingly staged, plodded on. Daft choice of song and fitted in nowhere. Better suited to Sticky and Sweet.

Human Nature 4/10

The lull after Candy Shop really continued here. Boring performance, she struggled with the vocals and sounded a little out of tune to me. Another song that needs to go back in the loft.

Like A Virgin 4/10

This stripped down version worked really well for the first verse and chorus. But unlike Papa Don't Preach where it ended prematurely, this dragged on for the whole song. Indulgent and killed off the pace of the night.

I’m Addicted 6/10

One of my favourite tracks from MDNA, I couldn't help feel disappointed by the staging of this. But I have read there were technical issues with this too, so I'll give it the benefit of the doubt and check YouTube. It just lacked excitement. The arrangement was faithful to the album version though.

I’m A Sinner 6/10

Not a huge fan of this song, but it was perfectly pleasant. More filler than thriller.

Like A Prayer 10/10

Wowza. An extended version fo the Immaculate Collection mix. For those disappointed with the Sticky and Sweet version, this was fucking amazing. So great to hear a gospel choir on stage and for her to belt it out with all her might. Stunning.

Celebration 8/10

What the song lacks in originality, it made up for in effort, staging and choreography. Benny Benassi's mix makes the song much darker, and after past concert finales, it lacked warmth. But it was juxtaposed by a colourful stage and tight choreography.

Verdict

Who's That Girl was the first madonna gig I ever went to and I've seen every tour since. Sticky and Sweet was the first Madonna gig I left before the end.

MDNA is not one of the best, but it's far from terrible. Those of you who've only seen clips on the internet simply cannot judge it without being there. It has to be seen, and I'm sure its better in small arenas that stadiums.

The third quarter really lets the whole thing down, and it could have done with at least two of the MDNA tracks being replaced by oldies for a more balanced feel.

But I thoroughly enjoyed it.

A friend from work went to the B'ham gig with her sister. Neither has seen Madonna live before and both of them loved it! My friend was really impressed.

A friend from work went to the B'ham gig with her sister. Neither has seen Madonna live before and both of them loved it! My friend was really impressed.

so they'kk buy MDNA? :superman:

I think as a first Madonna gig to go to, it would be hard not to be impressed.

But she only half expected to be. She was surprised at just how good she was. She thought she sang, moved and looked better than she imagined.

• 2 months later...