Billboard Boxscore Thread: MDNA Tour grosses $232.9 million so far

MadFan

To me it feels pretty obvious that they planned a second leg all along. Madonna isn't played on the radio anymore, her albuns are not selling as much as before, lately she has no big hits and no Grammy nominations, she is also no media darling either. The only thing that can't be touched is her touring machine. Currently she is the biggest touring act out there and nothing can touch that unless the public stops going to her shows. Besides everything else, they want to proudly garantee that Madonna is the biggest performer of all time. That keeps her name very vivid out there till she resurrects her music relevancy with an unexpected global hit (if that is even possible by now).

To me it feels pretty obvious that they planned a second leg all along. Madonna isn't played on the radio anymore, her albuns are not selling as much as before, lately she has no big hits and no Grammy nominations, she is also no media darling either. The only thing that can't be touched is her touring machine. Currently she is the biggest touring act out there and nothing can touch that unless the public stops going to her shows. Besides everything else, they want to proudly garantee that Madonna is the biggest performer of all time. That keeps her name very vivid out there till she resurrects her music relevancy with an unexpected global hit (if that is even possible by now).

Obvious... are we missing something? I don't understand the connection you're trying to make between Madonna touring, a second leg, and all those other negative opinions you made?

To me it feels pretty obvious that they planned a second leg all along. Madonna isn't played on the radio anymore, her albuns are not selling as much as before, lately she has no big hits and no Grammys nominations, she is also no media darling. The only thing that can't be touched is her touring machine. Currently she is the biggest touring act out there and nothing can touch that unless the public stops going to her shows. They want to proudly garantee that besides everything else Madonna is the biggest performer of all time. That keeps her name very vivid out there till she resurrects her music relevancy with an unexpected global hit (if that is even possible by now).

Actually her studio albums still sell pretty much in line with any other acts' efforts out there, old or new. If you think, Adele aside (a temporary exception) top selling albums for 2012 are in the range of 2 - 2.5m copies and she has sold around 1,6m MDNA copies, in her 30th year no less, I wouldn't qualify that as "her albums don't sell anymore that's why she tours". All of her albums from ROL onwards, meaning post 40 have been either Top 10 or Top 15 best-selling titles. Considering it's been 14 years since that, I think that's pretty outstanding.

If she'll add a second leg it's only because it'll make her even richer and in a short span of time and to break the records she already holds. She sold 300m copies and no one is buying music anymore, her success isn't measured on cd sales these days, and that goes for the new generations as well.

Anyway BRING ON the second 50-gig leg, Australia, Asia, South Africa and a repeat of select European and North American markets (MDNA London O2) :dramatic:

Obvious... are we missing something? I don't understand the connection you're trying to make between Madonna touring, a second leg, and all those other negative opinions you made?

Negative opinions? Those things are a fact and not a matter of opinion. She is earning money and keeping her name out there because of touring! Why they wouldn't do a second leg to surf in this wave and make it last? Currently she is not being played on the radio and so has no big hits going on to keep her name out there. They found in touring a niche where she is untouchable right now. She is mainly a touring act now and there is no shame to accept that. She can keep her name out there extending her tours till she reinvents the wheel and manages to have a huge hit again if this is possible.

Actually her studio albums still sell pretty much in line with any other acts' efforts out there, old or new. If you think, Adele aside (a temporary exception) top selling albums for 2012 are in the range of 2 - 2.5m copies and she has sold around 1,6m MDNA copies, in her 30th year no less, I wouldn't qualify that as "her albums don't sell anymore that's why she tours". All of her albums from ROL onwards, meaning post 40 have been either TOP 10 or TOP15 best-selling titles. Considering it's been 14 years since that, I think that's pretty outstanding.

If she'll add a second leg it's only because it'll make her even richer and in a short span of time and to break the records she already holds. She sold 300m copies and no one is buying music anymore, her success isn't measured on cd sales these days, and that goes for the new generations as well.

Anyway BRING ON the second 50-gig leg, Australia, Asia, South Africa and a repeat of select European and North American markets (MDNA London O2) :dramatic:/>

Her albuns are not selling as much as before as everyone else but besides that unlike the younger competitors she is not scoring any hits lately. If she sells less albuns but still manages to score huge global hits that's ok, it would be a Rihanna situation, but she is selling less and less like every other artist and PLUS not scoring hits to keep it current. The touring machine is where she is above everything else and can keep her name rolling until she finds a way to reconect with the public scoring the desired big hits.

Negative opinions? Those things are a fact and not a matter of opinion. She is earning money and keeping her name out there because of touring! Why they wouldn't do a second leg to surf in this wave and make it last? Currently she is not being played on the radio and so has no big hits going on to keep her name out there. They found in touring a niche where she is untouchable right now. She is mainly a touring act now and there is no shame to accept that. She can keep her name out there extending her tours till she reinvents the wheel and manages to have a huge hit again if this is possible.

The point Nessie is that Radio is hardly a key factor these days. It's all about You Tube, free, accessible or cheap content, and the ability an act has in getting brand endorsements, for the music industry in particular it's all bout touring now. People seem to forget that 5 years ago, at age 49 she signed a $120m (doesn't happen to any other pop star half her age, let alone her age), that deal, not for nothing is called a 360 Deal whose primary focus is clearly stated as TOURING/Endorsements/Merchandising.

You can't say she had a proper hit song this year, equally as no one could say that a Top 10 or Top 15 studio album at her age and after 3 decades is to be considered a poor performance. Madonna isn't keen on touring because she supposedly has to make up for something.

Her albuns are not selling as much as before as everyone else but besides that unlike the younger competitors she is not scoring any hits lately. If she sells less albuns but still manages to score huge global hits that's ok, it would be a Rihanna situation, but she is selling less and less like every other artist and PLUS not scoring hits to keep it current. The touring machine is where she is above everything else and can keep her name rolling until she finds a way to reconect with the public scoring the desired big hits.

But I don't think she has to reconnect with anyone when at her age she managed to score the biggest TV audience ever. Bigger than the actual event it was a part of. Currently MDNA is a Top 10 seller worldwide, so at 54 and being pop music, I just don't understand this conversation. For a musician it doesn't get much better really, an international best-selling record and the top tour of the year, she'll be 60 in six years time Dios mìo. It's really baffling when you hear about * needing to reconnect*. Just think that she's probably made $100m for herself with all the various endorsements she had for the album and the tour, that's not counting Ticket sales, Merchandising, her fashion lines, TV rights and DVD licensing.

Do you think that all the brands associated with the Album promotion and the Tour would have sought out a deal with her if they didn't see her as someone who's connected with the public?

Defo my dream 2nd leg would be to start in Japan, do some Asian gigs, then down to Oz, then do a few shows in Europe some big ass stadium gigs and knock S&S off the no1 grossing spot

I would love if your scenario became a reality!

Oh my I wouldn't mind an O2 date seeing this show in an arena would be perfect as would triangle, I mean, I deserve it.

But would she really just do europe again?

Oh my I wouldn't mind an O2 date seeing this show in an arena would be perfect as would triangle, I mean, I deserve it.

But would she really just do europe again?

I think if she's really about to add a second leg, you can bet she'll add at least a dozen European markets, in arenas though and with pricier tickets. Add 30 stadium gigs in Australasia of course. She could do June, July and August so the kids can travel with her :gent:

But I don't think she has to reconnect with anyone when at her age you score the biggest TV audience ever. Bigger than the actual event it was a part of. Currently MDNA is a Top 10 seller worldwide so at 54 pop music I don't understand this conversation. I mean it doesn't get much better really, an international best-seller and the top tour of the year, she'll be 60 in six years Dios mìo. It's really baffling when you hear about * needing to reconnect*. Just think that she's probably made $100m for herself with all the various endorsements she had for the album and the tour, that's not counting Ticket sales, Merchandising, her fashion lines, TV rights and DVD licensing.

Do you think that all the brands associated with the Album promotion and the Tour would have agreed to a deal with her if they didn't see her as someone who's connected with the public?

Those endorsements in the public view means shit if she doesn't have big hits in their heads. Sadly that's how things goes for people. We know all about that because we are loons but unless she scores big hits she can't keep on track with the general audience that motivates the investments on those endorsements. If currently she is making her money touring and if that keeps her name out there i say she should explore it to the max. It's a way to keep her name rolling without the need of her music being played. In the end of the MDNA era she could have no big hits but she would have the highest grossing tour ever by a solo artist and that would mean something very positive in the public view.

If she does a second leg and neglects Australia... it will be the end of it :lmao:/>

If she'll add a second leg, I think it would pretty foolish of them to skip Australia AGAIN.

I think that dancer's tweet is pretty vague. I don't see any 2nd leg info yet, although it was around Christmas 2008 that S&S Part 2 was being rumored.

I guess if she does opt for a new leg, she will go where she wants to go, but the money would definitely be better in Australia and Asia than in Europe again. How many dates could she possibly sell-out in Europe? Her numbers were significantly lower this time in that region. I just don't get it if she pushes a whole new leg on a continent with obvious sales fatigue. Sure, London and Rome could probably bring the love, but I am not sure about very many other places.

I think that dancer's tweet is pretty vague. I don't see any 2nd leg info yet, although it was around Christmas 2008 that S&S Part 2 was being rumored.

I guess if she does opt for a new leg, she will go where she wants to go, but the money would definitely be better in Australia and Asia than in Europe again. How many dates could she possibly sell-out in Europe? Her numbers were significantly lower this time in that region. I just don't get it if she pushes a whole new leg on a continent with obvious sales fatigue. Sure, London and Rome could probably bring the love, but I am not sure about very many other places.

if she would play in exact same cities in europe again, it have to be only arenas this time.

if she would play in exact same cities in europe again, it have to be only arenas this time.

Yeah. I wish she'd just spend two months in Australia. Lord knows she could pull in a large mint.

If, IF there is a 2nd leg and she doesn't go to at least one neglected area that's dying for her, I won't understand it. Beyond the fans, beyond the logistics, think of the sheer money and sell outs that are easily awaiting her in these areas. Even by doing just a handful of dates. She doesn't have to do months. It's guaranteed supply and demand success, just sitting there waiting for her.

Let's face it (tastications), if she plays Japan & Oz she'll break the S&S record. Add a series of Euro arena dates to that and she's gonna be looking at $500 million mark.

But let us reiterate once more, the tour will end in December 2012 so please do not keep going on about a 2nd dates when there is absolutely zero suggestion of it.

I have this theory that the second leg of S&S was to make up for the $$ she lost in her divorce. The record breaking was just a bonus. She herself said that being on tour and uber busy kept her sanity. Now there's no need to do it so I don't think we'll have MDNA2. In fact, she seems to have been dreading being on tour since the 2nd or 3rd show; yes, she still loves the stage and gives it all but on every interview she mentions how tired she is and how she hasn't done anything fun for a while.

I tend to think that Madonna is a creator more than a performer. I think she enjoys the conceptualization and preparation of a tour. Once it's created and she's performed a few times she is ready to come up with something else. She moves on. I bet she must be dying to write an album or make a movie or write a book... having to do the same show on tour for all these months must be driving her crazy.

Yes, she gets bored easily. It's the same reason why she never released 7 or 8 singles from her '80s albums (when she could easily have); or why she never had super-long tours until very recently; or obviously the fact that she reinvents her image etc.

We love her because of it so let's not blame her if she's bored of doing the same show for the past 7 months and wants to end it. Some fans are too obsessive with numbers. Now that they can't obsess over chart stats because she's no longer a chart darling they have picked tour stats. Oy vey!

Let's face it (tastications), if she plays Japan & Oz she'll break the S&S record. Add a series of Euro arena dates to that and she's gonna be looking at $500 million mark.

But let us reiterate once more, the tour will end in December 2012 so please do not keep going on about a 2nd dates when there is absolutely zero suggestion of it.

I think she is done with the tour already. She is not even playing LAV/LS anymore...it's clear she wants to end it asap!