Billboard Boxscore Thread: MDNA Tour grosses $232.9 million so far

MadFan

If thats the case then all these numbers we're getting are totally meaningless. Are you sure what you're saying is correct? For all we know, sticky and sweet grossed half a billion...

Why cant they just provide real numbers? Soundscan should take over this shit...

Live Nation Denmark reported ticket sales of 40,000 to Danish media, but only 29,000 were reported to Billboard.

Similarly, some venues were so packed that LN must have underreported attendance figures to Billboard.

Honestly, I don't want her to do that anymore. What about releasing an album, touring, take a break and start a new era in a year or two?

Breaking the Sticky & Sweet record NOW will make her upcoming tours look unsuccessful. Save the best for last and go out with a GANG BANG. :clap:

Just leave the basic bitches touring for years to match her numbers. It won't last. Remember, Xtina just has two pretty successful tours and now it's all a distant past. The same will happen to Gorgon, mark my words.

I agree. I think she doesn't desperate need to break that record. I love to see her performing and i would go to all of her shows but i can see that she has already saturate some markets. Can you imagine if she had toured during all the 90's? She probably wouldn't have this figures today.

Second leg with a MDNA deluxe re-issue with some new songs.

Otherwise, I can't imagine her extending this album's lifespan another year. And it would give her an excuse to touch on those few European cities she's so obsessed with one more time.

The venues do count attendance with the counter device when you enter the venue. So, the reported figure probably isn't far off of that, even if that's not how they come up with the numbers (they wouldn't do it for nothing, after all). You simply cannot go by the pre-tour hype and the figures that are thrown out there.

Really? How do you explain then the fact that for the S&S Nice Charles Ehrman stadium gig we got a 42,000 figure and the same venue with MDNA has a 29,000 reported figure when both shows were totally packed in the same measure, with more than sufficient photographic evidence of that?

424184_4577497322455_37248949_n.jpg

29K people is a LOT. Not having attended either show, I can't comment on whether there were 13K more people that attended the S&S show.

But, as said, a number of the Euro shows, at the same venues, were higher for S&S than for MDNA.

Guys, the number that Live Nation posts is the number of tickets sold. That means that there were more people in attendance than those numbers. They could have been complimentary giveaways, radio station giveaways, etc. They don't count as tickets sold.

29K people is a LOT. Not having attended either show, I can't comment on whether there were 13K more people that attended the S&S show.

But, as said, a number of the Euro shows, at the same venues, were higher for S&S than for MDNA.

Well I attended the MDNA Nice show and I can guarantee you not a single more person would have fit into that stadium. So how could anyone explain that according to these BB reports, there were 13,000 people more attending the show back in 2008? It is only possible if that 29,000 figure for this year was given by LN as their expected selling figure back in February. And that's what they set out to do as a rule for every show of any tour before any ticket is even put on sale. They probably expected to sell less this time around due to the crisis, but if you check that thread Scrapple made, you will find generous photographic evidence that EACH MDNA gig was in fact so far sold out.

OT... I don't see numbers from the Caca show in Sofia... Apparently flopped real hard, nevertheless she announced another date for December, what's wrong in her brain?

$489,708 with 8,705 people in attendance.

Could you imagine Madonna pulling those lackluster numbers, to say the least? It is kind of like really??

Live Nation is bound to report correct and accurate figures. Incorrect figures could even raise suspicion of attempting tax fraud. It is absolutely impossible that Live Nation would report an inaccurate figure, let alone to the degree you're implying. Plus, why would Live Nation promote one of their major artists under value? There is no such thing as Billboard not allowing any reports over the initial expectation of a sell-out or stuff like that. This claim will be proven wrong when Pollstar will publish the identical boxscores in their year end charts. Just because some figures are not as huge as some fans expected doesn’t mean that the boxscores are wrong.

Look at Nice, it’s perfectly possible that there were in fact 12,000 people less in attendance than last tour. We’re dealing with a venue that can look packed no matter if there are 29,000 people or 55,000 people. The picture you’re providing is not of any proof that there were more than 29,000 people. Look at this picture from U2’s Vertigo tour: http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/9858/nikaia.jpg

Your picture is only a tiny part of the large field. Just because this photograph depicts a crowd of people doesn’t mean that the whole field was as crowded as four years ago. A few thousand people less on each side and in the back would be enough to cover the discrepancy of 10,000 people without making the field look any less crowded. Also, if you look at the crowd panorama minutes before the show, the stands don’t look that packed... Additionally, as mentioned above, total attendance might not equal the total amount of tickets sold to 100%, as there are some possibilities of ticket give-aways. I’m not implying that it was a flop, what I’m saying is that it’s perfectly possible that there were 29,000 people even if the venue was packed. If you're in the middle of a standing crowd, of course it looks like not a single additional person would have fit on the field ;)

Yankee Stadium has a maximum capacity of around 40,000 people for concerts. The highest boxscore reported for Yankee Stadium in the last few years was 41,762 for Big 4 Festival in 2011. It’s a baseball stadium with a relatively tiny field, so what can you expect?

Live Nation is bound to report correct and accurate figures. Incorrect figures could even raise suspicion of attempting tax fraud. It is absolutely impossible that Live Nation would report an inaccurate figure, let alone to the degree you're implying. Plus, why would Live Nation promote one of their major artists under value? There is no such thing as Billboard not allowing any reports over the initial expectation of a sell-out or stuff like that. This claim will be proven wrong when Pollstar will publish the identical boxscores in their year end charts. Just because some figures are not as huge as some fans expected doesn’t mean that the boxscores are wrong.

Look at Nice, it’s perfectly possible that there were in fact 12,000 people less in attendance than last tour. We’re dealing with a venue that can look packed no matter if there are 29,000 people or 55,000 people. The picture you’re providing is not of any proof that there were more than 29,000 people. Look at this picture from U2’s Vertigo tour: http://img31.imagesh...9858/nikaia.jpg

Your picture is only a tiny part of the large field. Just because this photograph depicts a crowd of people doesn’t mean that the whole field was as crowded as four years ago. A few thousand people less on each side and in the back would be enough to cover the discrepancy of 10,000 people without making the field look any less crowded. Also, if you look at the crowd panorama minutes before the show, the stands don’t look that packed... Additionally, as mentioned above, total attendance might not equal the total amount of tickets sold to 100%, as there are some possibilities of ticket give-aways. I’m not implying that it was a flop, what I’m saying is that it’s perfectly possible that there were 29,000 people even if the venue was packed. If you're in the middle of a standing crowd, of course it looks like not a single additional person would have fit on the field ;)

Yankee Stadium has a maximum capacity of around 40,000 people for concerts. The highest boxscore reported for Yankee Stadium in the last few years was 41,762 for Big 4 Festival in 2011. It’s a baseball stadium with a relatively tiny field, so what can you expect?

No No No dear

HolidayGuy incognito? :1251:

Look Mr Boogie will re-explain it all over again for you.

Hope you then understand it

It seems silly to get hung up on numbers like this. Fact is the tour is a huge success and will play to more than 2 million fans and gross probably 350,000,000 when all is said and done. madonna will once again stand above the rest as the greatest entertainer of our time. who cares how many people were in Nice.

No No No dear

HolidayGuy incognito? :1251:

Look Mr Boogie will re-explain it all over again for you.

Hope you then understand it

What he's saying makes a lot of sense truth be told. He is right about Yankee Stadium. The field is extremely small. There's an entire section of it that can't even be touched (baseball diamond). I was there twice. And if he is right about the 40,000 capacity... then it just makes it even more amazing that Madonna filled it to the brim twice and she's going to have even MORE love from NYC at MSG. She could be playing to over 115,000 people in NYC when all is said and done.

If she did 29,000 for Nice then she did 29,000. Whatever. Gaga bombed there. Perhaps the market for concerts is just crap there.

And HolidayGuy is not ridiculous enough to create an alias :lol:

^Thank you, 12. :)

I go by the released figures, as should all, and that's all there should be to the matter.

I also believe that the counter isn't there just for the sake of, "Oh, let's count how many people walk through the door.' I'm sure SOMETHING is done with that info.

Now, if one wants to debate whether something's an actual sellout or not- that's always going to vary, based on the fact that for some acts, the stage setup is bigger, leaving fewer seats put up for sale- and for others, seats don't sell. Just like when they report shows as sellouts when tickets were on sale for a matter of minutes. No matter how hot an act is, no way thousands and thousands of tickets would be sold that fast. Only what they choose to put up for sale- and they report it as an "instant sellout."

In the end, the only sure thing is that the MDNA Tour is a smashing success, on multiple counts.

In the end, the only sure thing is that the MDNA Tour is a smashing success, on multiple counts.

True dat. The U.S. finally delivers a death punch in box office scores, where as last time Europe was the heavy hitter.

this topic of questioning whether it is really SOLD OUT or NOT deserves a MEGA MANSON... will you guys just let it be? There's no point in contradicting it... I wonder what kind of satisfaction or happiness you get with it...

this topic of questioning whether it is really SOLD OUT or NOT deserves a MEGA MANSON... will you guys just let it be? There's no point in contradicting it... I wonder what kind of satisfaction or happiness you get with it...

+1

The Tour is doing amazing, the show is great, Madonna is alive and still givin' us new music and performing live... As I fan I am happy and completely satisfied with that.