Billboard Boxscore Thread: MDNA Tour grosses $232.9 million so far

MadFan

Huge numbers, considering she milked the European market with S&S. I had a lot of friends going because they wanted to experience a Madonna tour. Also, we should take into account that she visited some cities for the first time in years or for the very first time.

I went to Madrid's concert back then and it was ALL OVER the media, every TV channel was there and lots of celebrities, so it was seen like this huge summer event...it was her first time there in almost 20 years!

Huge numbers, considering she milked the European market with S&S. I had a lot of friends going because they wanted to experience a Madonna tour. Also, we should take into account that she visited some cities for the first time in years or for the very first time.

I went to Madrid's concert back then and it was ALL OVER the media, every TV channel was there and lots of celebrities, so it was seen like this huge summer event...it was her first time there in almost 20 years!

Exactly! Just think that over half of the European gigs last time around were markets she was performing in for the very first time. Eastern Europe anyone? Half of the second leg in 2009 was basically the Madonna first ever in Eastern Europe. And despite not being rich countries she raked in considerable money from them. And even for MDNA, $3m for a concert in Poland is huge considering the financial profile of that country and the general living conditions

Exactly! Just think that over half of the European gigs last time around were markets she was performing in for the very first time. Eastern Europe anyone? Half of the second leg in 2009 was basically the Madonna first ever in Eastern Europe. And despite not being rich countries she raked in considerable money from them. And even for MDNA, $3m for a concert in Poland is huge considering the financial profile of that country and the general living conditions

She's doing great! This time around she's visiting a lot of US cities she hasn't since almost The Virgin Tour!! I think a lot of Americans are doing what Europeans did with S&S: watching The Queen live for the very first time!

So having said that, I'm not worried at all about her Boxscore numbers...she'll probably have the biggest tour of 2012 by the end of the year.

Rihanna is not even half her age and she's taking in 2/3 of MDNA's revenue so far with three times as many dates ..... Gaga compared to other females is doing visibly better and hasn't been out for that long ok, but she's still far from Madonna's average gross per date. Whereas Esther being 30 years older and with 3 decades of work behind her, is always 100 miles ahead of them (let's not even mention her female contemporaries), she is the only woman belonging in the top 5 club of touring names.

The numbers speak volumes. Madonna is unparalleled as a touring force when it comes to vision, stamina and work ethic, and she has been consistent with this throughout her career. Even if MDNA doesn't top S&S, it's going to be great seeing her detractors with jaws dropped when they see what she is still capable of pulling off. Go Madonna! :clap:

And WTF is the Russian top price?

The Moscow top price was underreported to/by Billboard: it was actually $6161!!!

It was only 10 tickets, but they were all sold!

yes she will be the biggest this year, but u'll see once next year rolls around

but like u all said - at least we have this year!!! its been amazing

Can't you stop being so negative? It's pointless, really. Let's just be happy that she's doing great!

i think a lot of people are going to see her for the first time on this tour (mostly in the US) because of the Super Bowl

my sister and her husband want to go see M in LA in Oct

they are not fans. they just really liked her Super Bowl halftime performance.

especially my brother in law who told me his eyes were glued to the screen

and he had no idea how good of a performer M was. now they want to see her live in concert for

the sole experience.

nice to read this... let's just hope they are not hoping for an 80s dominated setlist...

u knonw bitch is gonna SLAY it on her farewell tour.

oh gawd, all hell will break loose if she announces a farewell tour... high ticket prices will be eaten up relentless... let's just hope they have the sense to scour thru every corner of the Earth...

oh gawd, all hell will break loose if she announces a farewell tour... high ticket prices will be eaten up relentless... let's just hope they have the sense to scour thru every corner of the Earth...

I doubt very much she would ever announce such a thing

People are freaking out with the bloody boxscores, sorry but that kind of ultracontrol looks insecure and childish. I trust Madonna with or without sell outs, and i love her to bits wether she finishes 1st, 2nd or what ever, MDNA is amazing and that's a fact. Period

SOLD OUT?

tumblr_m2sulhESSD1qg9lud.gif

Let's get one thing straight, everyone loves their "Sold Out". But the truth is, most euro gigs did NOT sell out.

Wether it's a technical sellout or not, I don't care. But obviously "Sold Out" doesn't mean what it used 2

mean, & we all know it means :D So let's not pretend.

They way these figures r presented is very 'Mariah Carey is the best selling female artist of all time' :fag:

"Sold out" has never meant actually sold out; it's always been the number of tickets put up for sale. I mean, anyone who would believe that thousands upon thousands of tickets would sell out in minutes? Child, please.

And, concert capacity have always been dependent on stage set up and such. That's why one acts' capacity will be lower than another's (for that reason and closing off sections because they didn't sell).

"Sold out" has never meant actually sold out; it's always been the number of tickets put up for sale. I mean, anyone who would believe that thousands upon thousands of tickets would sell out in minutes? Child, please.

And, concert capacity have always been dependent on stage set up and such. That's why one acts' capacity will be lower than another's (for that reason and closing off sections because they didn't sell).

Girl please, sold out means, 'shit I couldn't c the concert cuz tickets were all gone'.

In Brussels 4 instance a few thousand tickest were still availabe before the gig, this wasn't an estimate, nor dependant on the stage set up

but confirmed by the local LN branch and teleticketservice as 'NOT SOLD OUT'.

Don't spin that shit dizzy now. :fag:

Girl please, sold out means, 'shit I couldn't c the concert cuz tickets were all gone'.

In Brussels 4 instance a few thousand tickest were still availabe before the gig, this wasn't an estimate, nor dependant on the stage set up

NO JUST NO sorry, the fact that tickets were still available doesn't mean anything. Viagogo anyone. Madonna's making cash off Viagogo purchases too. It's just a biz model. Show me evidence that any of those gigs might have not sold out. Have u seen footage and pics from the EU dates? Not one piece of evidence that suggests not having sold out every freaking date. The venues were different when she did repeat location shows compared to Sticky and anyway again the attendance figure they reported for Nice for instance is way lower than the actual people that were present in that stadium.

I was there believe me and there wasn't one single spot empty. Now that stadium holds up to 45,000 people (it's not even a huge stadium) but the thing is that the promoter sets up a figure of tickets they expect to sell before any tickets is even on sale yet and that figure doesn't correspond to the actual capacity figure. If they sell all of that allocated figure it is considered a sold-out event but in the end a lot more people ended up showing than the BB number indicates. She did 44,000 in attendance at Charles Ehrman 4 years ago so the figure they reported must be lower since Charles Ehrman stadium in Nice was as full as 4 years ago.

yeah right as LN of all people would confirm that one of the MDNA shows wasn't sold out

:lmao: sorry but

I'm not talking about viagogo, I'm talking about the official 1st hand ticket outlet. Local promoters have always been honest with the media here. There’s still a lot of the same people from ‘The Rox’ and ‘Sound & Vision’ from before LN bought the company. They don’t care about overall LN strategy. And fact is, complete blocks of seats in top price category in Brussels were empty.

You can ‘NO’ all u want, It’s really not about what u choose 2 believe, or what u like.

I'm not talking about viagogo, I'm talking about the official 1st hand ticket outlet. Local promoters have always been honest with the media here. There’s still a lot of the same people from ‘The Rox’ and ‘Sound & Vision’ from before LN bought the company. They don’t care about overall LN strategy. And fact is, complete blocks of seats in top price category in Brussels were empty.

You can ‘NO’ all u want, It’s really not about what u choose 2 believe, or what u like.

Well S&S figures must be wrong too then. They still come from LN and Billboard. Whatever

I know. It's about a bunch of people that have to see failure or poor performance or lesser performance when there is absolutely a shred of indication of that in sight. Next

I know. It's about a bunch of people that have to see failure or poor performance or lesser performance when there is absolutely a shred of indication of that in sight. Next

+ 1 Next Next

Who fucking cares???!

She still made 115 MILLION dollars from just 33 shows!!!! whats with the complaining? god

Well S&S figures must be wrong too then. They still come from LN and Billboard. Whatever

I'm not talking about the revenue, I'm just saying the way the amount of tickets that were sold r being reported as sold out is 'manipulated'.

It's not a big deal, but I don't see why people should get so upset over it when someone wants 2 point that out. Such cultlike behaviour.

I love the bitch & went 2 many shows, why on earth would I wanna c her fail? :confused:

I'm not talking about the revenue, I'm just saying the way the amount of tickets that were sold r being reported as sold out is 'manipulated'.

It's not a big deal, but I don't see why people should get so upset over it when someone wants 2 point that out. Such cultlike behaviour.

I love the bitch & went 2 many shows, why on earth would I wanna c her fail? :confused:

It just seems like your focusing on this minor factor instead of the fact that she's still making a lot of money!

sorry for snapping

Who fucking cares???!

She still made 115 MILLION dollars from just 33 shows!!!! whats with the complaining? god

Bitch I'm not complaining, I don't care how much money she makes. I won't get a dime from that.

Be fucking serious. I'm just talking stats, y'all acting like priests where someone brings up peadophelia in the church.

It just seems like your focusing on this minor factor instead of the fact that she's still making a lot of money!

sorry for snapping

Sorry 4 snapping back, C above post. :kiss2:

its not bout being negative its bout reality, so eat it bitch

anyway, ya i'm happy with the tour cuz its the best thing she has ever done live - i just wish she would want to top herself because that is really her true competition.....she doesnt feel the need to, fine. this tour still rocks the socks off sticky and sweet ANYDAY (i hate that tour)

Someone mentioned that the media reported attendance of 70 000 in Kiev. This could actually be true. Live Nation had to provide figures to Billboard before a single ticket went on sale - they had to report how many tickets they expected to sell at each venue. In Kiev, they expected to sell 31 000 or whatever it was. The figure reported by the media would have come from the venue itself, since they know how many people went through the gates. Live Nation, though, can only report to Billboard how many tickets were sold based on the reported estimate they provided. Any sales above that figure go unreported - this is the way the industry works.

In reality, there were probably 70 000 people at the show in Kiev, but Live Nation grossly underestimated how many tickets they would be able to sell. They still pocket the money, but they can't report the revenue or the attendance numbers above the 31 000 they had projected.

I remember back in 1993, Madonna's Brisbane concert was reported as having "sold out" in a few hours. To increase my chances of getting a Gold Circle ticket, I sent in a fax order (such a quaint concept these days, isn't it?!). The next week, I received a regular ticket from them right at the very back of the stadium, with a letter informing me that the Gold Circle was completely sold out by the time they reached my ticket order, and they were sending "the next best ticket available". A guy I worked with at the time decided on the day of the concert that he wanted to go, and he was able to buy a Gold Circle ticket on the night. There were also a couple of rows of spare seats at the side of the Gold Circle, which irritated other friends of mine who had tried to buy them months before the concert, but were told they were sold out.

My point is that even 20 years ago, "sold out" didn't mean that every seat in the venue was full.

Acko - I still LOVE that pic!! It's stunning!!