Billboard Boxscore Thread: MDNA Tour grosses $232.9 million so far

MadFan

I think that she might've sold more for a particular date(s), but as long as the expected number is met, then that's what's reported. I think that happened in Russia for SST. There were 50-55kk people there, but the box office number was less than 30k probably because that's the expected sell out number.

I think Madonna and Live Nation's egoes wouldn't allow them to post lower-than-actual sales figures.

However, that would explain the low box office numbers of, for instance, Copenhagen and Berlin.

I've already accounted for Copenhagen, but Berlin is another case: the arena was packed on both nights, and with a capacity of 17,000, a total attendance of 25,000 for two shows seems very low.

wow they are fucking impressive numbers. 50 million from 14 shows is insane. once again, LEAGUE OF HER OWN

Indeed!

I think most of us take Madonna's success as s touring act for granted.

While she isn't selling as many tickets in Europe as she did 3-4 years ago, NO OTHER solo artists even comes close to such box office figures!

I think that she might've sold more for a particular date(s), but as long as the expected number is met, then that's what's reported. I think that happened in Russia for SST. There were 50-55kk people there, but the box office number was less than 30k probably because that's the expected sell out number.

Till the official box scores come out, theres a lots of guessing going on. Any number you read before the box scores is likely an informed guess.

As for the sellouts, the promoter can report any capacity number they want. They do this for everyone, though.

This tour will be a big success, but likely won't break any records.

sorry but Barcelona´s numbers are not true.They weren´t 30.000 people there

I think that's 33,000 for 2 nights though. So that would put it at about 16,000-17,000 per night.

I think that's 33,000 for 2 nights though. So that would put it at about 16,000-17,000 per night.

mmm, that could be...anyways, not a sold out, but pretty packed.san Jordi ´s capacity is a little bit higher than 20.000 I think

This is not going to happen until the inevitable Farewell Tour a.k.a. The Billion Dollar Tour.

Yes the Farewell Tour will be a billion dollar tour but by the time that happens, say, 10 years from now, it won't be the first billion dollar tour. I don't understand why U2 grosses nearly double M's tours. Madonna is a bigger name and the only name I know in that group is, ugh, Bono. If any of the other band members walked down the street I wouldn't know who the hell they are.

The Rolling Stones I can understand but not U2. Frankly, I find their numbers suspicious.

Edited by Sloane

Yes the Farewell Tour will be a billion dollar tour but by the time that happens, say, 10 years from now, it won't be the first billion dollar tour. I don't understand why U2 grosses nearly double M's tours. Madonna is a bigger name and the only name I know in that group is, ugh, Bono. If any of the other band members walked down the street I wouldn't know who the hell they are.

The Rolling Stones I can understand but not U2. Frankly, I find their numbers suspicious.

They play a lot more shows than her though per tour and their prices are cheaper. Also, they are a rock band so their demographic is slightly wider and they don't have the controversies. I wouldn't call their numbers suspicious.

Madonna is doing great. Let's just stick to that.

This tour will be a big success, but likely won't break any records.

I'm going to quote this not because I give a shit about your opinion but because first, I want to highlight your negative crap and trolling and second, because I want you to see this a few months from now when the MDNA Tour total boxscore breaks the Sticky and Sweet record.

I don't understand why U2 grosses nearly double M's tours.

On their latest tour, they played only stadiums. And with their 360 setup, they had a much larger average attendance per show.

Furthermore, they made subtantial changes to the setlist between different legs of the tour, and never play the exactly same setlist two nights in a row.

The length of their tours is another factor. In 2012, Madonna will do 87 shows over the span of 7 months. In comparison, on their latest tour, U2 did 110 shows over the span of 2 years: they had a 9-month break after the 2nd leg, 2-month breaks after the 3rd and 4th legs, and 1-month breaks after the 5th and 6th legs.

Live Nation already said this tour will gross $350 million when it comes to an end.

How could they possibly know that though. Australia isn't even on sale. That was just a ballpark estimate and it could very well be conservative. Keep in mind the number of shows this time (already higher than S&S) and the higher ticket prices; Europe's moderate success isn't exactly the most reliable gauge on how this tour will do. 350 million is in the bag, but it would be bizarre if this tour grosses that much lower than S&S given how long and high budget it is in comparison.

How could they possibly know that though. Australia isn't even on sale. That was just a ballpark estimate and it could very well be conservative. Keep in mind the number of shows this time (already higher than S&S) and the higher ticket prices; Europe's moderate success isn't exactly the most reliable gauge on how this tour will do. 350 million is in the bag, but it would be bizarre if this tour grosses that much lower than S&S given how long and high budget it is in comparison.

That was the estiamte that the CEO of Live Nation gave. It's really easy to figure out what a tour is going to make if you know how many tickets were already sold and what you expect them to sale. I'm also sure they know to a 90% confidence level what the gross from Australia will be, even without one ticket being sold. It's their business - they MUST be able to forecast this stuff.

SS made $408 million. She was pulling in $10-15 million in some cities. That's not going to happen this time around (except in Australia). This tour will make around $350 million - maybe it will break $400 million. Still great numbers.

It might not be happening in Europe (those over 10 million grosses), but it might happen elsewhere this time around, some of it here in America no less. I mean 2 dates at Yankee Stadium?! And keep in mind she's sold close to 700,000 tickets just in the USA alone, which is more than she's ever sold, if I remember correctly. That's gonna be pretty big for her.

i m sure we re gonna have some pacific like (Indonesia and Malesia) dates with australia...there is japan to and why the hell not south corea??? it is time to conquer that market to! there will be more surprises for sure after this year.

I'm going to quote this not because I give a shit about your opinion but because first, I want to highlight your negative crap and trolling and second, because I want you to see this a few months from now when the MDNA Tour total boxscore breaks the Sticky and Sweet record.

You can quote me. I wasn't being negative, I was being realistic. Based on the dates and the early box scores, it does not look like she will top s&s. I hope you are right and I'm wrong. MDNA is a much better tour. This is the tour that shoud be seen by everyone, not s&s.

Regarless, like I said, it will be a very successful tour, just likely not enough to break her own record. She might though if she adds more dates, as is, it does not look likely.

It's what I like doing, I'm always looking at everyone's box scores. I probably pay more attention to box scores than anyone else in this entire forum.

You're ultrasensitive when it comes to Madonna. An objective opinion is better than a loon opinion that doesn't look at things realistically.

If she add Asia then this tour will definitely break S & S record not to mention that she already sold out in most of her America's dates and once Australia is announced this may very well be her biggest tour so far

If she add Asia then this tour will definitely break S & S record not to mention that she already sold out in most of her America's dates and once Australia is announced this may very well be her biggest tour so far

With Australia & Asia, breaking her own record does look likely. As is, not so much.

Madonna-$49,545,712.00 / 417,448 from 14 shows. (Based on above figures)

Bifida-$43,910,405.00 / 313,329 from 16 High School Reviews.

+$5,635,262.00 for Madonna

+104,119 tickets sold for Madonna

Hmmmm...please don't yell at me but is this spectacular touring business? Granted the numbers are huge by regular music star standards, but S&S's first 14 shows in Europe did like $100 million and that was just two years after she did a tour there. Granted, attendance (and the economy) were much better then. Maybe that's it.