Past-Tours Stories - Share yours here

Je5u5

Not sure if this should be on General Discussion or, since it's tour-related should be here, but I think it would be great to have a thread where we can share our stories from past tours, as the MDNA fever is in full force :)

So why not do it here? Start sharing ;)

Guest MuthaFuka

MuthaFuka at the Who's That Girl Tour, Wembley Stadium, London, 19 August 1987.

It would really fit this story better if it had been the Virgin Tour!

I was a naive, 18 year old virgin, unsure of my sexuality. This was the first concert I ever saw, my first trip to London, and the first time I'd travelled on my own.

The world really was a different place back then. The tickets had been sold at various outlets around the UK one Sunday Morning. I got up at 5am and queued at the box office of the Edinburgh Playhouse theatre for several hours. The ticket cost £17.50, you paid cash and got the ticket there and then. No allocated seat, no tiered prices, it didn't even state whether pitch or seated.

- I remember getting a small fright that morning; the headline of the Sunday Sport (a very trashy UK tabloid) read "Pop's No.1 Fights For Her Life". But it turned out it was about Mel Appleby being diagnosed with cancer. (RIP Mel; I still love and play "Respectable".)

On the day of the concert I arrived at the Stadium around mid-day, bought a bootleg T-Shirt and the official tour-book.

There was no obsessive Health & Safety in those days. Around 5pm the gates opened and everyone piled into the stadium. It was up to you to grab a seat of your choice or go onto the pitch. I ran towards the stage, and was probably had about 6 or so rows of people in front of me.

The crowd was packed tight. The following day there was a news story about a hole in Wembley Stadium and they reckoned an extra 2,000 people had sneaked in. Here I learned a lesson: buy the tour-book after the show. I had to ditch the one I'd bought and buy another one on the way out.

There were 2 support acts. The Bhundu Boys and Hue & Cry. Bhundu Boys played well, but I didn't know who they were. Hue & Cry had recently had a huge hit that year with "Labour of Love" and went down a storm with the crowd.

....Ah, the crowd! -Different time for Madonna. She wasn't the QoL yet, but was the world's No.1 star and everyone wanted to see her. It wasn't a "Madonna audience" at that concert.

It was getting dark by the time the show started, cannot remember the exact time.

I fucking love Open Your Heart, it's still one of my favourite M songs and it's my favourite 12" single of all time. As the first chords blasted out a boy next to me said to his friend "Get ready for the thrill of your life." How right he was!

There was no (or not much anyway) pre-recorded sounds back then. It was a real, solid band and the bass throbbed through the ground.

Her silhouette appeared then the screens went up, and there she was!

(It still never fails to surprise me every time I see her live how she always looks exactly like she does in photos/videos.)

The rest is really all a blur, one of the most exciting 2 hours of my life.

The crowd surged with her.

She moved right, so did we. She moved left, so did we.

She was far more talkative during concerts in those days, at one point she noticed the crowd surging too much and ordered everyone to stand still then take a step back.

Like I said earlier, the crowd was made up of lots of different types of people including some very drunk English soccer fans who were chanting "Get your tits out!". (She had been on the receiving end of this the night before and in Leeds earlier in the week.) When she heard them chanting she stopped to listen. "The tit-song?" she asked, then told them "If I were to get my tits out you wouldn't know what to do!"

I really, really loved the end of Who's That Girl where she's just singing the line "Who's That Girl" over and over, emphasising the words differently each time. She sang Live To Tell really well too. She's so under-rated as a vocalist.

One of the bugging things about being an M-fan is that you end up watching the concert DVD so many times that your memory of the show becomes the recording, not the show you saw. But the vivid images of the time you saw it live that you do remember are special!

Did I say DVD? Like I said, the world really was a different place back then. It was analogue, I re-watched it over and over the following year on VHS!

Edited by MuthaFuka

Great story! :inlove:

You're right about recorded shows becoming your memory. I have a really poor memory in general, so I can barely remember anything of how I felt or what I truly saw at the Girlie Show. Nor of Confessions even though that was more recent. The one thing I remember clearly of the Girlie Show is of waiting to leave for the show only to hear on the radio that it had been cancelled due to poor weather.....thankfully it was rescheduled. I also remember painting a banner on my neighbour's driveway. But the show.....I don't remember anything really :(

Guest Not4Pussies

DWT - Had tickets for the 9/11 show in LA. Got postponed obviously.Ended up seeing the show on 9/15 which ended up being the last show of the tour. Fucking amazing show. Not only was it my first time seeing her live but there was something magical and pure that night.

RIT - After seeing the show 3 times, I decided to get cheap nosebleed tickets with a friend of mine for her Anaheim show. few minutes before the show starts we got moved to the front row!!

the show was about to start. we ran like crazy as the arena got dark and we could hear the beginning sounds of The Beast Within. we were right on the front row. last two seats on the left side. right below where she performed Nothing Fails. this was the closest i had been to Madonna. her ass, her skin and those big eyes that sparkled.

Coachella - long, hot day. oakenfold's beats were torture. got to meet Ulizos (adorable little thing) and saw Pud covered in sunblock,

CT - For her last LA show I took my sister, niece and boyfriend at that time to the concert.

S&S - saw her in LA at Dodger Stadium. right next to the catwalk. i had Fergie sitting behind me. i had better seats than Fergie Ferg.

DWT - Had tickets for the 9/11 show in LA. Got postponed obviously.Ended up seeing the show on 9/15 which ended up being the last show of the tour. Fucking amazing show. Not only was it my first time seeing her live but there was something magical and pure that night.

RIT - After seeing the show 3 times, I decided to get cheap nosebleed tickets with a friend of mine for her Anaheim show. few minutes before the show starts we got moved to the front row!!

the show was about to start. we ran like crazy as the arena got dark and we could hear the beginning sounds of The Beast Within. we were right on the front row. last two seats on the left side. right below where she performed Nothing Fails. this was the closest i had been to Madonna. her ass, her skin and those big eyes that sparkled.

Coachella - long, hot day. oakenfold's beats were torture. got to meet Ulizos (adorable little thing) and saw Pud covered in sunblock,

CT - For her last LA show I took my sister, niece and boyfriend at that time to the concert.

S&S - saw her in LA at Dodger Stadium. right next to the catwalk. i had Fergie sitting behind me. i had better seats than Fergie Ferg.

:inlove:

I was RIGHT there! Do you remember seeing me? S&S is such a blur, I don't remember anything (I wasn't drunk, I promise).

Guest Not4Pussies

:inlove:

I was RIGHT there! Do you remember seeing me? S&S is such a blur, I don't remember anything (I wasn't drunk, I promise).

yes i did see you. you were on my side of the catwalk. you were about 6 rows in front of me.

Tell me more!

For Sticky & Sweet 2008 at the Los Angeles Dodger's Stadium, my 16th birthday present was floor seats with my sister (this was my very first time seeing a Madonna concert live)! After the incredible show, I called up my best friend in Houston to tell her all about it; she told me she was seeing M about a week later when the tour hit her city and that she had an extra ticket for me to join! My parents obligingly bought me a plane ticket to Texas, and this time I was 8 rows from the Queen herself! We locked eyes during Ray of Light, I made it onto the jumb-o-tron immediately after, and managed to rip my silver pleather pants during Like a Prayer. Memories I will NEVER forget ;) Words cannot describe the exxxcitement I feel when the MDNA Tour finally reaches me in October!

IMG_2038.jpg