June 24 - Coimbra (Portugal)

Brisy_Boy

True but in Coimbra there were only more 3.000 places available for U2 than for Madonna MDNA so not such a huge difference while the price difference was huge.

I respect your situation ... I realize things are getting more difficult everywhere. People are struggling to make ends meet, and so luxury items like entertainment are not as high priority, and people don't have the disposable income to spend on things like concert tickets.

3,000 seats, even at U2's lowest tier, would be 90,000 euros according to your numbers... That's 90,000 euros Madonna can't make with her show set-up, so I'm saying she might "need" to make that amount up by charging more for the other seats. And we have no way of knowing what the actual quantity distribution of seat prices is at this point. Obviously, the max price for M would be for the golden circle and front rows, but she does tend to charge more for even the lowest tier of tickets. (I remember in 2001 for DWT, there was still a $45 ticket level. That ticket doesn't exist anymore -- it's $90 now.)

What I can say is that Live Nation does seem to be varying the ticket price ranges based on market -- i.e., the NYC VIP packages cost more than the Pittsburgh ones, but the Pittsburgh ones cost more than another U.S. city, etc. So, some actuary is sitting around making these decisions -- about what breakdowns will maximize profits adusted for the individual market's economy. Obviously in Portugal and in Pittsburgh, she's losing casual fans who can't get the "cheap" ticket and won't pay the top tier rates.

I'd be interested in seeing Madonna's boxscore for this venue vs. U2's 2010 boxscore, just for kicks. May be a while before we can do that, though.

I'd be interested in seeing Madonna's boxscore for this venue vs. U2's 2010 boxscore, just for kicks. May be a while before we can do that, though.

Me too! If I can get it I will post it! ;)

Hope you guys have a great time, just the opening alone makes this tour a career highlight!

Hello everyone! I've been in Coimbra for the last two days, and here are a few facts:

- I've seen no Madonna poster anyewhere, but in 1 bakery where they did have 2 big promo posters and a couple of LP's (You can dance!!!)

- I have not heard a Madonna song anywhere

- I have no seen anything about the concert surrounding the stadium, i've been there and people from TV were interviewing the first fans queeing

- Last night there was kind of a musical event on the city center, with dj's and music all over the place, i haven't hear anyone playing Madonna

- Coimbra is a gorgeous but indeed quite small city, with an impressive University

- Portuguese people are so kind and generous

- Last night Spain beated France, and that was fucking great(sorry frenchies)

- there is a wonderful weather but kind of windy late at night

- I finally hope to see more excitement about the concert today in the venue, and i'm definetely gonna enjoy every second of it!

Hello everyone! I've been in Coimbra for the last two days, and here are a few facts:

- I've seen no Madonna poster anyewhere, ...

Isn't it totally weird? You have heard this from many cities. No promotion whatsoever. I understand this if you have an instant sell out. Why advertise something that is no longer available? But in places you have tickets left? Really weird. Especially when posters doesn't cost much.

Still MDNA jump at #2 on Itunes from nowhere in portugal right now

and see at page 1 that actually the media are mad about Madonna arrival.

This is going to be the biggest concert in Portugal by a foreign act....still some poster wanna make it look like it's a non-event: loosers.

Edited by Her Madgesty

The concert is not sold out yet.

It's quite complicated that it will be sold out when tickets are priced from 45 to 170 euros.

U2 did sold out in Coimbra in 2010 with tickets priced from 30 to 100 euros. But Economy was quite different then, The crise was only starting!

Coimbra is a quite small Universitary city with around 150.000 inhabitants. There is not even a 5 star Hotel there...

Oporto, the second larges city in Portugal and the surround area have around 1 million people is 100 kms from Coimbra.

Lisbon, the capital have 3,5 million in the surround area and concentrates 55% of the consuming power. its 200 kms from Coimbra. You pay at least 60 euros (but usually more) to travel to Coimbra and comeback. You have 3 hours travelling to go plus to come back. Lots of people that would go to the concert in Lisbon won't go to Coimbra as their money won't be enough.

Portugal is a country with 10 million people.

The minimum salary in Portugal is 475 euros a month. 1,5 million of Portuguese live with that or less than that as sometimes they do half-time jobs only. The average salary in Portugal is 677 euros a month. That's a little more than 8000 euros per year!!!

Economy now is quite bad in Portugal with 15% unemployement (it was 7% in 2010) and people paying extra taxes (around 15% more per year!!!) due to banks faillures and politics corruption!!!

Even food consume is down 10%.... other goods that are not essencial are selling around 60% less than they were in 2010 with Cars, CDs and DVDs being some of the goods with the biggest falls. The crise is really huge here! Crime was low in 2010 but grew up 350% to 2012 as many people don't have what to eat and they don't get help from the goverment as well. The situation is quite dramatic.

85% of the families in Portugal live right now with less than 500 euros per person per month. It's quite complicated to even eat properly, pay the rent, water, electricity, natural gas, clothes, etc only with that amount of money!

I spend at least 600 euros per months on food myself and can't imagine how can't those people survive!

On the other hand a few people connected to this government and previous ones on public companies receiving salaries around 2 million euros a year + profit shares... It's completely obscene! Even last week the Financial Times did a huge article about corruption in Portugal and how the goverment was robbing the poor to get the riches richer!

All this explains what is going on here. Is quite huge the concert being at 40.000 tickets sold. I know a lot of big fans that were only able to buy the 45 euros tickets as they knew they would have to pay at least 60 euros on transports to go see her (at least that plus food, water... whatever extra expenses). I'm not very confident on the merchandising selling very well here also. I will buy the tour book but as me most Portuguese saw their income reduced bettween 10% to 20% plus their taxes going up. That translates in a lot less money in their pockets to spend in extras!

170 euros??? The most expensive (non-VIP) Tickets here are 305 Euros (I just looked it up)!!! I honestly had to give up food for a few weeks to buy my tickets :lol:

Anyway, thanks for this! I was wondering how this was going to turn out since I know things are pretty difficult at the moment in Portugal.

I just got home from the show... but I will post a lot tomorrow. Took AMAZING pictures as I was lucky to get inside the Gold Triangle.

Just a few spoiler lines:

- The best Madonna show I've ever been to! Really incredible!

- We saw part of rehersals - Amazing!

- She showed her ass

- She was quite funny and played a lot

- She got the Portuguese flag and sang half a song with it!!!

Some pictures (not mines) before the show.

Outside:

600709_3634239329525_209478408_n.jpg

168796_10151830999820456_1769695520_n.jpg

Soundcheck:

250785_424134490942312_827345960_n.jpg

180219_3355075351074_526385635_n.jpg

8093_3634970267798_775109607_n.jpg

LMAO WTF IS THAT!? lol so this hits the media

anyway, arent the bras she's wearing a part of her collection that is coming out this fall!?!??!?!

That's a toy-hammer, popular at the Oporto parties that took place the night before (where she and her dancers got installed). You're suppose to hit them in someone's head and it will make a funny sound lol

That's right! lol

Martelo de Sao Joao (San John Hammer)

PJ were you there? Where were you at?

That's a toy-hammer, popular at the Oporto parties that took place the night before (where she and her dancers got installed). You're suppose to hit them in someone's head and it will make a funny sound lol

Uhm, wasn't she in London the day before?

New Bra

306936_438176219547085_1535286019_n.jpg

I prefer the old one

That's the same bra she was wearing while she was shooting the TUTR vid

m-MADONNA-620x930c.jpg

I do like it better than the other one.