June 24 - Coimbra (Portugal)

Brisy_Boy

They are probably 2 stages for Arenas and 2 stages for Stadiums...

Streets near the Stadium are already with security control since Monday!!!

More pictures from the stage assemblage in Portugal

484312_353758538030945_1596845255_n.jpg

181315_353758598030939_1368960179_n.jpg

550498_353758418030957_563405955_n.jpg

601222_353758528030946_301612958_n.jpg

The Portuguese stage is the same from Tel Aviv! Checked this picture yesterday at the Coimbra Stadium:

196058_354272667979532_667427365_n.jpg

401944_354273294646136_2135587022_n.jpg

179154_354272374646228_2095672730_n.jpg

Yesterday some of her dancers were seen partying at Oporto. She is expected to stay at Oporto and there was rumour she was arriving today to visit some wine "caves" there.

She is doing newspapers covers already! :D

428516_3628989158274_1164454161_n.jpg

The concert is not sold out yet.

It's quite complicated that it will be sold out when tickets are priced from 45 to 170 euros.

U2 did sold out in Coimbra in 2010 with tickets priced from 30 to 100 euros. But Economy was quite different then, The crise was only starting!

Coimbra is a quite small Universitary city with around 150.000 inhabitants. There is not even a 5 star Hotel there...

Oporto, the second larges city in Portugal and the surround area have around 1 million people is 100 kms from Coimbra.

Lisbon, the capital have 3,5 million in the surround area and concentrates 55% of the consuming power. its 200 kms from Coimbra. You pay at least 60 euros (but usually more) to travel to Coimbra and comeback. You have 3 hours travelling to go plus to come back. Lots of people that would go to the concert in Lisbon won't go to Coimbra as their money won't be enough.

Portugal is a country with 10 million people.

The minimum salary in Portugal is 475 euros a month. 1,5 million of Portuguese live with that or less than that as sometimes they do half-time jobs only. The average salary in Portugal is 677 euros a month. That's a little more than 8000 euros per year!!!

Economy now is quite bad in Portugal with 15% unemployement (it was 7% in 2010) and people paying extra taxes (around 15% more per year!!!) due to banks faillures and politics corruption!!!

Even food consume is down 10%.... other goods that are not essencial are selling around 60% less than they were in 2010 with Cars, CDs and DVDs being some of the goods with the biggest falls. The crise is really huge here! Crime was low in 2010 but grew up 350% to 2012 as many people don't have what to eat and they don't get help from the goverment as well. The situation is quite dramatic.

85% of the families in Portugal live right now with less than 500 euros per person per month. It's quite complicated to even eat properly, pay the rent, water, electricity, natural gas, clothes, etc only with that amount of money!

I spend at least 600 euros per months on food myself and can't imagine how can't those people survive!

On the other hand a few people connected to this government and previous ones on public companies receiving salaries around 2 million euros a year + profit shares... It's completely obscene! Even last week the Financial Times did a huge article about corruption in Portugal and how the goverment was robbing the poor to get the riches richer!

All this explains what is going on here. Is quite huge the concert being at 40.000 tickets sold. I know a lot of big fans that were only able to buy the 45 euros tickets as they knew they would have to pay at least 60 euros on transports to go see her (at least that plus food, water... whatever extra expenses). I'm not very confident on the merchandising selling very well here also. I will buy the tour book but as me most Portuguese saw their income reduced bettween 10% to 20% plus their taxes going up. That translates in a lot less money in their pockets to spend in extras!

^^^ this really puts things into perspective. People sometimes forget that and take all these sold outs for granted. Sometimes it's not just about the popularity of an artist to make sure a concert sells. Especially when you charge prices like Madonna. I'm surprised to see that U2 were selling at this relatively low prices. I have always thought their tickets were just as expensive if not even more expensive than Madonnas. The fact that under all those circumstances she is still able to generate huge numbers just shows once again what a powerhouse she is, no matter if she is the IT girl at the moment or not. Having a sold out show is nice and all but it's not everything. Yes , the press might make an issue about it and will spin this into something negative but noone that is involved with the production will complain if a show is making 5 million plus.

First people that arrived to the entrance quee this morning ;)

600517_3024402267874_1955771217_n.jpg

Tomorrow morning I'm leaving Lisbon so I can arrive to the Stadium around lunch time!

I'll post most news that I still can today and tomorrow before leaving my home at 8 AM but I'm sure I will only post lot's more things after the concert and returning from Coimbra. Probably Monday later in the afternoon.

Some new Golden Circle entrances. There are already around 100 persons in each of the other two entrances:

556486_3125030379444_579127238_n.jpg

550597_3125041579724_1028813888_n.jpg

Boa viagem e diverte-te, brisy_boy

Obrigado hyper!! ;)

Estás onde? Também vais?

^^^ this really puts things into perspective. People sometimes forget that and take all these sold outs for granted. Sometimes it's not just about the popularity of an artist to make sure a concert sells. Especially when you charge prices like Madonna. I'm surprised to see that U2 were selling at this relatively low prices. I have always thought their tickets were just as expensive if not even more expensive than Madonnas.

Well, just remember that U2 could sell seating 360, so they can get more people in, which means they can reduce the price of the ticket and still make as much. The sight lines on a production like Madonna's reduces the number of tickets they can sell. Also, while the stage for U2 was obviously huge and very expensive, Madonna also has additional production expenses that U2 doesn't have (i.e., dancers, more band, more costumers, more make-up, etc.). The very theatrical nature of her show, combined with her insistence on high production values, requires a higher ticket cost to be profitable in general. I'm not saying Madonna and Live Nation don't make a significant profit. (And Madonna doesn't have to split her portion four ways, as U2 would need to do for Bono-Edge-Clayton-Mullen...) But I was having this conversation with someone here who couldn't justify paying for a Madonna ticket. I was trying to explain that there are reasons her tickets aren't exactly "bargain price." There is a risk involved of not selling out (though it is likely), and her productions are so expensive, so they have to be sure they're going to cover those costs.

Well, just remember that U2 could sell seating 360, so they can get more people in, which means they can reduce the price of the ticket and still make as much. The sight lines on a production like Madonna's reduces the number of tickets they can sell. Also, while the stage for U2 was obviously huge and very expensive, Madonna also has additional production expenses that U2 doesn't have (i.e., dancers, more band, more costumers, more make-up, etc.). The very theatrical nature of her show, combined with her insistence on high production values, requires a higher ticket cost to be profitable in general. I'm not saying Madonna and Live Nation don't make a significant profit. (And Madonna doesn't have to split her portion four ways, as U2 would need to do for Bono-Edge-Clayton-Mullen...) But I was having this conversation with someone here who couldn't justify paying for a Madonna ticket. I was trying to explain that there are reasons her tickets aren't exactly "bargain price." There is a risk involved of not selling out (though it is likely), and her productions are so expensive, so they have to be sure they're going to cover those costs.

True but in Coimbra there were only more 3.000 places available for U2 than for Madonna MDNA so not such a huge difference while the price difference was huge.