The "Turn Up The Radio" Video Thread

All a song needs is exposure and people have to like it. Stick TUTR in an ad and people might like what they hear. (personally I dont think the song has enough kick, but thats just me) We Are Young becoming a huge hit had nothing to do with them being a new act. It could have been sung by people in their 60s and the reaction from people would have been the same. People litterally flooded to the web to find out who the hell sung that song during the Super Bowl spots and started downloading it. If people like a song they dont give a shit about age.

Madonna could have scored another huge hit with the intitial exposure GMAYL got, but the song blew and most people thought so. It didnt flop because of her age. It flopped because it was a crap lead single.

GMAYL is not crap by any means. Its probably catchiest and most instant hit sounding from the whole album too.

Many people loved and it got decent airtime in Europe.

You might like it, but it's easily the most divisive lead single from a Madonna album, second only to "American Life." It was catchy, but that doesn't make it "good." I don't really know anyone who really liked aside from a handful of critics who reviewed it when it first dropped. And I can name just as many who loathed it. It's just an embarrassment on every level.

Personally, I like MDNA a lot. I still listen to it regularly. And while I'm not a huge fan of "Superstar" or GGW, GMAYL is the ONLY track I never listen to.

The same with 4 Minutes also. I used to hear Music and Dont Tell Me alot also.

There used to be a time a few years ago when I couldnt turn the radio on without hearing an old Madonna classic, but ever since 2010 hit I hardly hear her on the radio anymore. KTU used to be Madonna central and its rare to even hear her on there. Even when they do all 90s weekends (they used to do all 80s weekends up till 2 years ago) they dont even play any of Madonna's 90s hits.

I hear 4M from time to time. Ditto for "Music." I still hear quite a bit of old Madonna, but only on AC stations, where the audience skews older. KTU has changed its formatting quite a bit. It used to be 90% classic dance music, now it's 90% current. That leaves little room for old Madonna songs.

American Life = embarrassing

Me Against The Music = embarrassing

Hey You = embarrassing

GMAYL is just flat. It's neither here nor there, which is damning enough, but I wouldn't call it this humiliating pile of shit. All this hyperbole about it being this career nadir is a little silly IMO.

GMAYL got Madonna some new fans. One of my friends who hated her before said "wow finally she made something likeable, that 60's surf guitars is amazing".

He also sings "Im a different kind of girl" regulary, still.

^ this. i decided the reason why i liked 'gmayl' so much when i first heard it is that it was finally a break in her sound. it was different. don't think it's lead single material and that SHOULD have been 'TUTR' in my opinion. but i still don't hate it. i prefer it to 'ggw.'

Personally, I like MDNA a lot. I still listen to it regularly. And while I'm not a huge fan of "Superstar" or GGW, GMAYL is the ONLY track I never listen to.

+1

This discussion is very interesting. Keep going y'all. :popcorn2:

^ this. i decided the reason why i liked 'gmayl' so much when i first heard it is that it was finally a break in her sound. it was different. don't think it's lead single material and that SHOULD have been 'TUTR' in my opinion. but i still don't hate it. i prefer it to 'ggw.'

+1

I feel GMAYL should've been Superbowl only with TUTR quickly followed. She could've even included pieces of TUTR on Superbowl IN GMAYL.

Then perform TUTR on Grammies a week after Superbowl.

Next single something edgier like I Fucked Up or Im a Sinner.

GGW is only 4th single material.

+1

I feel GMAYL should've been Superbowl only with TUTR quickly followed. She could've even included pieces of TUTR on Superbowl IN GMAYL.

Then perform TUTR on Grammies a week after Superbowl.

Next single something edgier like I Fucked Up or Im a Sinner.

GGW is only 4th single material.

What's wrong with the world?

I think it would've made more sense to have MIA and Nicki on GGW...

Can't wait for this video :) Madonna looks cunt

I think the song will do well hopefully!

GMAYL is not crap by any means. Its probably catchiest and most instant hit sounding from the whole album too.

Are you serious? :mellow: This was her worst performing lead single overall. Sure it went Top 10 in the U.S., but it went to #1 in like two countries. Even "American Life" did better than that.

Many people loved and it got decent airtime in Europe.

Yeah, and only a few of them actually bought it. Despite its decent airplay, it spent like 2 weeks in the Top 10 Euro digital single sales chart. That is NOT a favorable response by the public.

However many months later and I still don't get the deep, seething hate some fans have for GMAYL. Lead single material? Probably not, I can see where it could be annoying to some with the cheers and all but to call it a career low is a little OTT. Hating GMAYL is like hating Lucky Star, True Blue or Cherish, all of which I love, none of which I think are lead single material. GMAYL is just so innocent, non threatening and easy. I don't care how it performed (personally I think other factors played into that), it IS single material. In fact had it NOT been released I'm pretty certain fans would be screaming how it should've been a single. If she took a complete "fuck you" approach to the single releases then YES, Gang Bang (with EPIC Tarantino vid of course) should've been the lead single but I guess the "pop star" in her wanted to play it safe for this albums singles. Perhaps the "non-traditional" promo next album should be releasing songs that sound nothing like singles as singles. :) In a perfect world this would be MDNA singles and they would all be worldwide hits of course:

1. Gang Bang

2. I'm Addicted

3. Love Spent

4. Falling Free

5. Some Girls

who cares if its a hit or not.

as long as you like it and enjoy it and makes you happy.

AMEN! I want her to have a "BELIEVE"-like success somewhere along the way though...

However many months later and I still don't get the deep, seething hate some fans have for GMAYL. Lead single material? Probably not, I can see where it could be annoying to some with the cheers and all but to call it a career low is a little OTT. Hating GMAYL is like hating Lucky Star, True Blue or Cherish, all of which I love, none of which I think are lead single material. GMAYL is just so innocent, non threatening and easy. I don't care how it performed (personally I think other factors played into that), it IS single material. In fact had it NOT been released I'm pretty certain fans would be screaming how it should've been a single. If she took a complete "fuck you" approach to the single releases then YES, Gang Bang (with EPIC Tarantino vid of course) should've been the lead single but I guess the "pop star" in her wanted to play it safe for this albums singles. Perhaps the "non-traditional" promo next album should be releasing songs that sound nothing like singles as singles. :) In a perfect world this would be MDNA singles and they would all be worldwide hits of course:

1. Gang Bang

2. I'm Addicted

3. Love Spent

4. Falling Free

5. Some Girls

my favourites! perfect

I think GMAYL should have been a one-off Superbowl special single to mark M's return to music. It's perfect for that. It just doesn't seem to relate to the rest of the album so keeping it as a one off and perhaps adding it as a b-side to a later single might have re-defined this current period. If you look at the chart placings for it (especially compared to GGW), it did actually perform very well with lots of top ten positions and No. 1 in 6 or so countries.

Guest bluejean

Both The Beatles and Elvis had big hits with unreleased material because decades later people were/are still interested in them. Madonna is no different. If dead people can have #1's Madonna definitely can. She's never short of publicity and will be forever relevant because she's up there with the biggest artists of all time. She just needs a GREAT song.

And great doesn't necessarily just mean catchy either. The production is so important with Madonna because for awhile there she was known as this great innovator bringing underground sounds to pop. A trendsetter. I think that is why people are so turned off by her doing generic stuff, it just feels instantly disappointing. Songs like 4M, GGW and Celebration are good songs but they don't have that Madonna specialness that everyone loves. They could be anyone's songs.

I still maintain 'Gang Bang' would have been a great 1st single.

Both The Beatles and Elvis had big hits with unreleased material because decades later people were/are still interested in them. Madonna is no different. If dead people can have #1's Madonna definitely can. She's never short of publicity and will be forever relevant because she's up there with the biggest artists of all time. She just needs a GREAT song.

And great doesn't necessarily just mean catchy either. The production is so important with Madonna because for awhile there she was known as this great innovator bringing underground sounds to pop. A trendsetter. I think that is why people are so turned off by her doing generic stuff, it just feels instantly disappointing. Songs like 4M, GGW and Celebration are good songs but they don't have that Madonna specialness that everyone loves. They could be anyone's songs.

I still maintain 'Gang Bang' would have been a great 1st single.

However, you normally need ten years between the end of a band and the reinterest in their catalogues. Beatles was about ten years, Abba 82 - 92 release of Gold. Take That also had about a ten year hiatus in the UK and came back stronger than ever. Madonna is probably the most consistent artist is terms of chart performance and length apart from Sir Cliff :)

But yes, still don't know why they bottled it on Gang Bang!

Guest bluejean

However, you normally need ten years between the end of a band and the reinterest in their catalogues. Beatles was about ten years, Abba 82 - 92 release of Gold. Take That also had about a ten year hiatus in the UK and came back stronger than ever. Madonna is probably the most consistent artist is terms of chart performance and length apart from Sir Cliff :)

But yes, still don't know why they bottled it on Gang Bang!

I don't agree about 10 years, I think there are no rules and anything is possible since we're talking about the first and most successful of her kind here.

And yes, you are one of the few who agree with me about gang bang, Instant respect!

I don't agree about 10 years, I think there are no rules and anything is possible since we're talking about the first and most successful of her kind here.

And yes, you are one of the few who agree with me about gang bang, Instant respect!

I still think she could have some more massive hits over the next few years but she needs to release something killer rather than the weak Europop offerings of the last three years. My examples above were move about how an artist's body of work isn't really appreciated until ten years after they retire.

Gang Bang really is the strongest track but they blew it. But loads of people think it should be a single. It's one of the few things that many agree on here!

American Life = embarrassing

Me Against The Music = embarrassing

Hey You = embarrassing

GMAYL is just flat. It's neither here nor there, which is damning enough, but I wouldn't call it this humiliating pile of shit. All this hyperbole about it being this career nadir is a little silly IMO.

This will hopefully serve as an explanation to not just you, but to everyone else on here who doesn't seem to get why some of us dislike the song so much. It's true that it's an innocuous trifle, and maybe not worth hating out of context. If it were just an album track, I'd probably feel the same way about it that I do about "Superstar." Filler. Not very good. But nothing to scream and holler about (GGW is more offensive lyrically and vocally). But, and this is the thing, it's what GMAYL represents that makes it so hateable. Not only was it chosen as the lead single (after it was leaked months earlier to very mixed response, with very little changed), but the lyrics and chant are indicative of overall trends in Madonna's recent output that have disappointed many fans. The obsession with trying to sound/look young and pander to youth, etc.

Regarding the other tracks you mentioned, AL was indeed embarassing. The sound wasn't a big move forward after the Music album, and the lyrics and especially the rap made many people cringe. But she was at least trying to say something, and even if the quality and taste level were in question, you can't dispute that it was Madonna doing whatever the fuck she wanted, saying what she wanted to, without caring about radio or mass acceptance. So while the song might be mediocre and a bad choice for a single, I respect what she was trying to do. I can't say that for GMAYL. (For many of the other songs on MDNA, that's not the case. I like/love most of the album.)

MATM was the beginning of the end in terms of Madonna trying to recapture her youth and popularity. So in that sense, it's embarrassing. The song itself isn't so bad, just her vocals really. And it's really Britney's song, so I don't hate it as much as GMAYL, which was M's first solo single in four years. It should have been another "Frozen," or at least another "Music."

HY: Not a single. A charity one-off. It's pretty bad, but doesn't warrant the same kind of scorn as a terrible lead single that's supposed to usher in a new era for the queen of pop.

I hope that helps explain at least my point of view.

I don't see GMAYL's lyrics as this desperate bid to recapture her youth; they're too vague and simplistic (a la Hung Up) to mean much of anything. If anything, that's GGW's problem (despite it being a better song), and she was far more blatant in her desire to look/sound young circa the Hard Candy era, and I was one of the first people to point that out. She had to start somewhere I guess, earning back her mojo.

But I think this Madonna we see now is different. Right now I think people just have a problem with her dating young dudes and not trying to sugarcoat it, showing off her body confidently, openly slapping Lady Gaga in the balls, and being completely and utterly indifferent to the opinions of others around her. It was easy to give Madonna kudos despite her failures during the American Life/British Wyvern era because she was buckling to humility, dressing frumpy, being a doting wife/mom, and backtracking on her escapades from the early 90s, etc. People liked seeing her that way because it was comfortable for them. Now that she's obviously not interested in being Sugar & Spice, it's easy to call her out and call her desperate, etc. But really, she's just being Madonna, and the conventional attitude she had years ago was the fluke; not this.

Guest Not4Pussies

She always and will always be a bad girl. She will always break the rules. Regarding the singles, I do wish after GMYAL leaked they would've gone with a different song but it seems the song was already made for SB with Nicki and MIA on board. Minaj said in an interview that she already knew she was working with M since July 2011. So I'm thinking GMYAL and Super Bowl were in the works for a while. If they had gone with a different song, performed it in rhe SB it would've been huge. It was all there, but they made mistakes