The "Turn Up The Radio" Video Thread

Guest bluejean

I don't believe Chicago was an option. She may have secured the role at some stage but circumstances changed on both sides and I don't believe she would have turned that role down for anything. Perhaps she was already committed to something else when it finally got the green light.

Sunset Boulevard, he said Madonna refused it but who knows why. I still believe she may consider it down the track depending on when its made, if it doesn't conflict with another project. But as we know her desire to be recognised as an actress has faded quite alot so she may not bother.

Madonna was attached to an earlier version of Chicago in the early '90s with Goldie Hawn. The version of Chicago that was ultimately made had a different distributor, different producers, different director, etc. I don't think Madonna was ever involved.

Is there any news or rumors at all about the premiere of video and release of single to radio will be? Should be if it's suppose to be mid- July? I'm ready already.

Nightshade- what's this about "Paradise (Not For Me)"? Madge co-wrote it with Mirawis- did someone else do a demo or something?

EDIT: I checked the Genesis Timeline. I see there were comments about the pre-existence, but nothing in the timeline about using another female vocalist.

I could be remembering incorrectly, however I thought I had read that she didn't change anything about the song. Could have just been the music part, however it was a completed track prior to her involvement because it was pretty much finished when they met.

There was a finished version of the song, but I find it extremely unlikely Madonna didn't change anything about it at all. Especially since she has a writing credit. I bet it was originally in French and she added some English, or else was originally in English and Madonna added some French. Although I admit that is TOTAL conjecture on my part.

What I think is that the story gets confused about this song because it was included on Mirwais' Production album and then also appeared on Madonna's Music album virtually unchanged (except for one transition measure changing slightly). The story was that she loved it so much and he loved it so much that they both couldn't bear to part with it... but I doubt that the earlier version was identical. Again, just my own biased opinion.

I don't believe Chicago was an option. She may have secured the role at some stage but circumstances changed on both sides and I don't believe she would have turned that role down for anything. Perhaps she was already committed to something else when it finally got the green light.

Sunset Boulevard, he said Madonna refused it but who knows why. I still believe she may consider it down the track depending on when its made, if it doesn't conflict with another project. But as we know her desire to be recognised as an actress has faded quite alot so she may not bother.

Madonna was attached to an earlier version of Chicago in the early '90s with Goldie Hawn. The version of Chicago that was ultimately made had a different distributor, different producers, different director, etc. I don't think Madonna was ever involved.

Yes, yes, this has been discussed (almost ad nauseum) in other threads. I know she was attached and then detached from the film. But still, in some ways, it was a "bird in hand" and then got away. (Same with the "50 Violins" movie that became Meryl's "Music of My Heart"...) Madonna's pretty powerful and has a lot of financial resources to draw from; if she wanted to make sure a film got made, she could have ponied up some cash herself. And let's not forget that Chicago was a Miramax venture -- and M has some close ties with Harvey Weinstein, obviously. He's usually an ally for her; I'm surprised he didn't help lobby her cause for the role when Rob Marshall got the directing gig.

Not to be too picky, vocalism, but it was actually late 90s -- 1999, in fact, when Madonna had the part and Goldie Hawn was to play Roxie. The director (Nicholas someone?) got rid of Goldie (because she was "too old" supposedly) and Madonna quit out of solidarity. (I imagine, in theory, this would have been shooting during the period that she filmed TNBT, had the film actually eventuated in reality.) The director had no cast, so he couldn't make a movie. And it fell through, until Rob Marshall "auditioned" with Miramax to do Rent -- but he pitched his idea/concept for Chicago, and they liked it so much they gave that project to him instead. Production (either rehearsals or filming -- I can't remember which) started in September 2001 for Chicago -- so it was only two years after Madonna had the role. It's not like it was ancient history at that point. (For ancient history, you can go back to the mid-80s, when Fosse was supposed to direct it himself and was clear that he wanted to cast Madonna. But then he passed away and no one wanted to touch it for over a decade. I presume that, back then, Madonna was to play Roxie rather than Velma, but that's a guess on my part...) So, yes, to bluejean's point -- M was committed to other projects in both cases -- the Madonna-Hawn cast could have happened when she filmed TNBT; the Marshall-directed Chicago was filmed while Madonna wrapped up the DWT and then shipped off to Malta to film Swept Away. It may be true that she was never considered by Marshall for the film, but I really, really doubt that. If she had the role earlier, he would have been well aware and would have at least thought about her for two minutes. I know the audition process was extensive before he decided on Catherine and Renee, but it's silly to think that Madonna wouldn't have even crossed his mind. Harvey would have told him the history when they discussed the project, no doubt.

To be clear, I'm not blaming Madonna for letting it get away... I'm just saying it was a missed opportunity. She pursued it and lost. Doesn't mean it's her fault, but it's still a disappointment from a career standpoint.

AND ... I'm really sorry we keep hijacking this thread about TUTR. Carry on ... we can discuss movies in the General Discussion thread(s) if there's yet more to talk about.

EDIT:

Here are some options:

Movies Madonna might have been in: http://forums.madonnanation.com/index.php?showtopic=39879&st=0&p=1288387entry1288387

"I'd like to [tour] after I do Chicago:" http://forums.madonnanation.com/index.php?showtopic=39964

(Every year I inevitably end up ranting about this in an Oscar thread or Golden Globes thread ... >sigh< I'm such a broken record!)

As for the video, wasn't it mentioned pages ago that it might premiere on 12th July? That would make sense. She's in the UK the following week and I think there's some attempt at trying to stimulate some interest in the project here.

There was a finished version of the song, but I find it extremely unlikely Madonna didn't change anything about it at all. Especially since she has a writing credit. I bet it was originally in French and she added some English, or else was originally in English and Madonna added some French. Although I admit that is TOTAL conjecture on my part.

What I think is that the story gets confused about this song because it was included on Mirwais' Production album and then also appeared on Madonna's Music album virtually unchanged (except for one transition measure changing slightly). The story was that she loved it so much and he loved it so much that they both couldn't bear to part with it... but I doubt that the earlier version was identical. Again, just my own biased opinion.

Yes, yes, this has been discussed (almost ad nauseum) in other threads. I know she was attached and then detached from the film. But still, in some ways, it was a "bird in hand" and then got away. (Same with the "50 Violins" movie that became Meryl's "Music of My Heart"...) Madonna's pretty powerful and has a lot of financial resources to draw from; if she wanted to make sure a film got made, she could have ponied up some cash herself. And let's not forget that Chicago was a Miramax venture -- and M has some close ties with Harvey Weinstein, obviously. He's usually an ally for her; I'm surprised he didn't help lobby her cause for the role when Rob Marshall got the directing gig.

Not to be too picky, vocalism, but it was actually late 90s -- 1999, in fact, when Madonna had the part and Goldie Hawn was to play Roxie. The director (Nicholas someone?) got rid of Goldie (because she was "too old" supposedly) and Madonna quit out of solidarity. (I imagine, in theory, this would have been shooting during the period that she filmed TNBT, had the film actually eventuated in reality.) The director had no cast, so he couldn't make a movie. And it fell through, until Rob Marshall "auditioned" with Miramax to do Rent -- but he pitched his idea/concept for Chicago, and they liked it so much they gave that project to him instead. Production (either rehearsals or filming -- I can't remember which) started in September 2001 for Chicago -- so it was only two years after Madonna had the role. It's not like it was ancient history at that point. (For ancient history, you can go back to the mid-80s, when Fosse was supposed to direct it himself and was clear that he wanted to cast Madonna. But then he passed away and no one wanted to touch it for over a decade. I presume that, back then, Madonna was to play Roxie rather than Velma, but that's a guess on my part...) So, yes, to bluejean's point -- M was committed to other projects in both cases -- the Madonna-Hawn cast could have happened when she filmed TNBT; the Marshall-directed Chicago was filmed while Madonna wrapped up the DWT and then shipped off to Malta to film Swept Away. It may be true that she was never considered by Marshall for the film, but I really, really doubt that. If she had the role earlier, he would have been well aware and would have at least thought about her for two minutes. I know the audition process was extensive before he decided on Catherine and Renee, but it's silly to think that Madonna wouldn't have even crossed his mind. Harvey would have told him the history when they discussed the project, no doubt.

To be clear, I'm not blaming Madonna for letting it get away... I'm just saying it was a missed opportunity. She pursued it and lost. Doesn't mean it's her fault, but it's still a disappointment from a career standpoint.

AND ... I'm really sorry we keep hijacking this thread about TUTR. Carry on ... we can discuss movies in the General Discussion thread(s) if there's yet more to talk about.

EDIT:

Here are some options:

Movies Madonna might have been in: http://forums.madonn...7

"I'd like to [tour] after I do Chicago:" http://forums.madonn...showtopic=39964

(Every year I inevitably end up ranting about this in an Oscar thread or Golden Globes thread ... >sigh< I'm such a broken record!)

Sorry, I momentarily confused Madonna's comment about no longer doing a film with Demi Moore in the early '90s because Demi had gotten pregnant. You're right. The Chicago rumors started in '97 right after Evita. Harvey Weinstein wanted Madonna and Goldie. It started to come together in 1998 and they were supposed to start shooting in 1999, but then things started to fall apart. They finally found a director, but then they kept losing actors and producers. Madonna eventually decided to do TNBT instead. I doubt Goldie's age was a factor. These things usually come down to scripts, directors, and money. It's easy to say "Oh, Madonna walked away because of XYZ," but it's usually more of an issue of timing. All of the pieces have to be in place. Chicago wasn't ready to go, and Madonna couldn't wait around twiddling her thumbs. I doubt it was very dramatic.

And yeah, I'm sure Rob Marshall thought of Madonna, but by 2001, a lot can happen in two years and her film career was back in the dumps. I doubt she was ever seriously considered. They likely wanted younger, fresher actors, and Catherine and Renee were exactly that. It's a shame, really, especially since David Fincher was rumored to be attached to the Madonna/Goldie version. Can you imagine that? Sigh.

And that's my opinion about the 'biggest misses' of her career question. I'd say Chicago is her biggest missed opportunity. Looking at the Oscar acclaim garnered by the film once it was eventually made, you can see that would have been better for her film career, even if she wouldn't have been nominated and won like Catherine Zeta-Jones. But just in terms of her Fosse connections and her perfect fit for the Velma character/look, and the themes of the musical, it was a perfect vehicle/era for M. Oh well. Too bad she missed out on that... In terms of her music career, Madonna's 'misses' all have their silver linings and hidden fan gems (in terms of reviled albums). But her acting career is an area where she could always use more accolades or success, so that's why I'd say Chicago was the one that got away. But this is a topic for another thread -- and I believe it's been discussed recently in two separate threads in the General Discussion area.

+1

Guest bluejean

July 12th would be good but it seems a little soon. I seem to recall videos in the past taking way longer to edit than afew weeks.

July 12th would be good but it seems a little soon. I seem to recall videos in the past taking way longer to edit than afew weeks.

I suppose it all depends on release dates. Previously, record releases would have to be planned a lot further in advance. Now a new release can go straight to download and a video be posted to a Facebook site without so much involvement from external parties which would drastically reduce production times.

Guest bluejean

I suppose it all depends on release dates. Previously, record releases would have to be planned a lot further in advance. Now a new release can go straight to download and a video be posted to a Facebook site without so much involvement from external parties which would drastically reduce production times.

I know, I was thinking that as well. But how much time was there between us hearing about the GGW video being shot and it being released?

I doubt it was very dramatic.

And yeah, I'm sure Rob Marshall thought of Madonna, but by 2001, a lot can happen in two years and her film career was back in the dumps. I doubt she was ever seriously considered. They likely wanted younger, fresher actors, and Catherine and Renee were exactly that. It's a shame, really, especially since David Fincher was rumored to be attached to the Madonna/Goldie version. Can you imagine that? Sigh.

I had never heard about Fincher being attached! :dramatic: But ... yeah, you're right. I doubt it was dramatic, too. The 'quitting in solidarity' and 'too old' thing were probably just sensationalized a bit for that bio. (Maybe it was Goldie's bio? I didn't actually read the book -- just an excerpt online. So I don't remember what the source was.)

I know, I was thinking that as well. But how much time was there between us hearing about the GGW video being shot and it being released?

If memory serves, they shot it the weekend of the Oscars, right? I thought M was in L.A. for the Oscars and it was shot there. But I could be wrong.

I imagine there was a lot of post-production work with GGW with the affects etc. TUTR looks like it will be more a straightforward video without the special effects. Mid-July still makes sense as she's smack bang in the middle of her European tour. Any later than that and there just will be zero interest.

Just saw a tweet this morning saying that TUTR radio is released 5th August.

Summer is almost over then :(

They've been thinking of ways to mess up every release and this was the best idea. Other ideas were do a remix with the basquish group and another one to make a duet with Marie Le Penn

Perhaps the video will be released earlier to build hype

They've been thinking of ways to mess up every release and this was the best idea. Other ideas were do a remix with the basquish group and another one to make a duet with Marie Le Penn

:laugh:

Perhaps the video will be released earlier in the hope that people will check out the album?

jajajajajaª!madonna sounding in all the Herriko tabernas!

Where will she be on her tour by then?

*edit*

Just checked. She'll be between Ukraine and Russia then onto Finland/Norway/Switzerland so at least she's still in Europe.

Good work Interscope. Drop the single when she has finished the UK leg of her tour. That will give people enough time to forget all about the song, and not bother buying it on August 5. I swear we could get together and run a better campaign than this! As a side note, has everyone seen the new HD-ish full concert (spoiler alert for those who don't want to see it)? I saw it here http://wearethefilter.blogspot.com.au/2012/07/madonnas-australian-tour-announcement.html but it is on youtube too. TUTR is better than I thought it would be, but still wish it wasn't a 'guitar' song :(

how could interscope get it so wrong? when u really think about it...how many other artists are on their record label and doing amazingly well?

so why are they fucking up madonna's album/singles so bad?????

I'm sure there's a good reason for an August release. I doubt they'll just have the single out in July and the video out next month. It's all gonna come out the same time.