The "Turn Up The Radio" Video Thread

Well, Madonna's going through a "shitlist" period. Something tells me if GMAYL and GGW had been relatively bigger hits than they were, this reviewer might have been nicer. But honestly, even though I think this song is harmless fun with a decent hook, they may have a point about it.

Well, EW liked the GGW video, I think ... now that I recall. (Well, it was perhaps on the "Must List" or something... this review was from the music section...)

I don't know how I feel about the validity of their statements. I mean... it's not really often that dance pop is DEEP and PROFOUND. So the complaint about the lyrics isn't really all that damning. (I remember a review of COADF complaining that "How High?" was a downer -- "who wants to think about such questions [as 'should i carry on?' and 'will it matter when i'm gone?'] with a glow stick in your mouth, love?" or something like that...)

As far as the NPR comment ... that's obviously hyperbole. And I know, Nightshade, that you were a fan of the Sunday Girl demo. I guess it's just Solveig's style lends itself better to a girl-ish vocal with a kind of detached delivery (like Dragonette tends to provide).

I know some think the song lacks any personality, let alone any of M's personality, but when I first heard it, there were parts lyrically that reminded me of "Vogue" (as, I think, Pud pointed out). There's a tinge of sadness hinted at (by her desire to escape and not talk about 'something you don't need to know,' and the intro about the world getting you down and nothing going your way) in the song, too, which is something Madonna's very good at conveying... celebrating joy of life and music, but with an underlying sadness. [/juxtaposition]

Anyway. I'm a little on the fence about it. It's summery. When the album first came out, a lot of reviewers/critics were saying this was the perfect summer single. I won't call it flavorless or bland. It perhaps doesn't exactly BOIL OVER from heat, but it's light, airy, sunny, breezy, frothy. You know. The way summer pop is supposed to be sometimes. The theme is uplifting and exuberant ('there's a glow of a distant light') -- despite its sad underbelly, it's not depressing.

I guess I just think that's unnecessarily harsh. It may not be an "A" or an "A-" even ... but it's not a "C" to me, either. Given what else is on the radio these days anyway.

Guest bluejean

The vocals on this song are good. I can grasp the reviewers point about it being dull, that is quite a harsh way of putting and they are clearly jumping on the bangwagon of bagging Madonna. It's a good song and I enjoy it but its kind of a weaker version of Jump. It has no hope of being a hit imo. Sorry to be negative but even when I 1st heard that 3 song sampler I felt GGW was the stronger song.

Unfortunately I'm starting to suspect that this was always one of those albums that didn't have a big hit in the 1st place (like American Life). The only one I think had potential was GGW but although it was catchy something about it didn't work for the public. I think the whole problem starts with the fact the album was done in a rush and although they've produced some solid songs they haven't done enough to ensure its success. And by that I don't mean promotion or picking the right singles, I mean making sure there are hit songs to begin with.

Oh well. There's always next album :lol:

I don't know how I feel about the validity of their statements. I mean... it's not really often that dance pop is DEEP and PROFOUND. So the complaint about the lyrics isn't really all that damning. (I remember a review of COADF complaining that "How High?" was a downer -- "who wants to think about such questions [as 'should i carry on?' and 'will it matter when i'm gone?'] with a glow stick in your mouth, love?" or something like that...)

They did? Goddam whores. I love that song.

As far as the NPR comment ... that's obviously hyperbole. And I know, Nightshade, that you were a fan of the Sunday Girl demo. I guess it's just Solveig's style lends itself better to a girl-ish vocal with a kind of detached delivery (like Dragonette tends to provide).

I think it would've been an awesome track if she'd just copied Sunday Girl's delivery and vocal style (and kept the cheerleader chants in that song). I know that's probably not Madonna's preference but she reportedly copied Ingrid Chavez's vocal for "Justify My Love" and I think she changed very little about "Paradise (Not For Me)" so it's not like she hasn't done it before. I think what we did get is a decent track and probably the most easily accessible and pleasing on the album, but as others have said, something does feel missing. Maybe you're right and for me it is just that innocent girlish vocal of Sunday Girl that sounds so full of pure exuberance...Madonna sounds a little like she's sleepwalking through this song's lyrics (IMO).

I know some think the song lacks any personality, let alone any of M's personality, but when I first heard it, there were parts lyrically that reminded me of "Vogue" (as, I think, Pud pointed out). There's a tinge of sadness hinted at (by her desire to escape and not talk about 'something you don't need to know,' and the intro about the world getting you down and nothing going your way) in the song, too, which is something Madonna's very good at conveying... celebrating joy of life and music, but with an underlying sadness. [/juxtaposition]

Anyway. I'm a little on the fence about it. It's summery. When the album first came out, a lot of reviewers/critics were saying this was the perfect summer single. I won't call it flavorless or bland. It perhaps doesn't exactly BOIL OVER from heat, but it's light, airy, sunny, breezy, frothy. You know. The way summer pop is supposed to be sometimes. The theme is uplifting and exuberant ('there's a glow of a distant light') -- despite its sad underbelly, it's not depressing.

I guess I just think that's unnecessarily harsh. It may not be an "A" or an "A-" even ... but it's not a "C" to me, either. Given what else is on the radio these days anyway.

I don't think it deserves a C, probably a B+. It is very summery though, I agree. I hope the video captures that too.

If I had to "psycho analyze" it (which seems weird for such a piece of fluff), I'd say it sounds like Madonna is bored of being a pop superstar. I can't imagine how many times she's had to write songs to appeal to a mass audience. Maybe it's become a routine to her? Maybe she feels like this is all she has left and that depresses her to a degree. She knows she'll never be an accepted actress, or probably even a director at this point. She might feel like she has one path now and it's to be what she's always been good at - which isn't a bad thing - but perhaps it does bother a woman so used to expanding her boundaries so successfully. What else is left to be done? Just some thoughts. I know it's just a pop song.

I heard Turn Up the Radio in IKEA in Melbourne today. I couldn't believe my ears. I was with my dad and i was like "they're playing a new Madonna song!" He didn't understand :(

It's a very Ikea Family song. The video would be a family in a car, sun in their faces, all smilies going to Ikea. When they come back home arguiing and the baby being slapped, they can film Love Spent. And when they build the fornitures and it goes wrong and the bookcase collapses, it's time for Gang Bang.

people are complaining TUTR vocals and praising Love Spent vocals?

WTF, Love Spent has the thinnest vocals she has had in years.

TUTR sound like a classic Madonna song which wouldn't be out of place on Immaculate Collection, for example.

I didn't know the EW review was posted in here; I posted it in the other TUTTR thread.

I can see the reviewer's point- it's not a very EXCITING track. I'd probably give it a B- at worst, though.

people are complaining TUTR vocals and praising Love Spent vocals?

WTF, Love Spent has the thinnest vocals she has had in years.

TUTR sound like a classic Madonna song which wouldn't be out of place on Immaculate Collection, for example.

Yeah, but the vox on LS are stylized and she's singing in her upper register, there's Auto-Tune, etc. It seems intentional and it works. TUTR is a sold "B" track. Nothing special, but a solid dance track and would make a great single. I do see their point about the vox though.

Guest bluejean

Maybe since she's announcing the Australian tour around the same time as TUTR coming out it will actually get played on the radio here?

I don't get it that people can be excited about the release of this song as a single. It is weak, corny and will flop b-a-d-l-y. End of the story.

The video however good it will probably not be will not save the song or the album.

Wrong , wrong ,wrong single choices from day one .

And of course Love Spent is MUCH BETTER as a song , melody, lyrics wise etc. Not debatable.

Guest bluejean

Love Spent is not single material at all. I'm not suggesting TUTR is either, it has limited potential but still more than LS imo.

^I agree. Love Spent is spent. However I think the acoustic version could work in some bizarre countries in Europe. It sounds very Balkan or Eurovision.

Love Spent, though a good song wouldnt do a damn thing either.

Gang Bang in my opinion is her last hope to save something from this album. Who gives a shit about the fact that its not radio friendly. They probably will never play her again anyway without payola or a rare fluke.

She needs to make a MARK, and a kickass balls to the wall video (In our dreams directed by Tarantino) would make that mark. People would be talking about it all over the place. It really would be an event moment in pop music.

Guest bluejean

I think it would've been an awesome track if she'd just copied Sunday Girl's delivery and vocal style (and kept the cheerleader chants in that song). I know that's probably not Madonna's preference but she reportedly copied Ingrid Chavez's vocal for "Justify My Love" and I think she changed very little about "Paradise (Not For Me)" so it's not like she hasn't done it before. I think what we did get is a decent track and probably the most easily accessible and pleasing on the album, but as others have said, something does feel missing. Maybe you're right and for me it is just that innocent girlish vocal of Sunday Girl that sounds so full of pure exuberance...Madonna sounds a little like she's sleepwalking through this song's lyrics (IMO).

I don't think it deserves a C, probably a B+. It is very summery though, I agree. I hope the video captures that too.

If I had to "psycho analyze" it (which seems weird for such a piece of fluff), I'd say it sounds like Madonna is bored of being a pop superstar. I can't imagine how many times she's had to write songs to appeal to a mass audience. Maybe it's become a routine to her? Maybe she feels like this is all she has left and that depresses her to a degree. She knows she'll never be an accepted actress, or probably even a director at this point. She might feel like she has one path now and it's to be what she's always been good at - which isn't a bad thing - but perhaps it does bother a woman so used to expanding her boundaries so successfully. What else is left to be done? Just some thoughts. I know it's just a pop song.

I don't think so. It doesn't sound any different to Confessions vocals to me. Although I don't think she laboured over this album like Ray of Light or American Life (or W.E.) I wouldn't say she's bored of doing music but I do think she's become complacent. Certainly more thought, effort and time went into W.E.

Guest Not4Pussies

Guy O said to someone on here at one of the past shows that we will most likely get a Gang Bang live video. Life goes on.

Guy O said to someone on here at one of the past shows that we will most likely get a Gang Bang live video. Life goes on.

If this comes out as true it will be the most missed opportunity in her career. FAKT.

I'm not thinking about sales or charts here. Can you imagine Madonna in a QT video? The photography, te setting, the editing, the violence, the emotions?

It would be a career highlight even for a music career as perfect as her is. Quoting Skin "an event moment in pop music", something everyone will be talking about in decades, like MJ's "thriller".

Guest bluejean

I'd be very surprised if there were a 4th video but if there is it HAS to be for Gang Bang. But yeah, sounds unlikely.

Guest bluejean

something everyone will be talking about in decades, like MJ's "thriller".

That's abit OTT. I think it would gain alot of exposure, but Thriller was groundbreaking for the music video format. And at a career peak for MJ too.

I know this thread is for the video not the song, but I thought I'd just mention that this week's issue of Entertainment Weekly reviewed the single. Not so good. :(

MADONNA "Turn Up the Radio"

Her Madgesty's latest single from MDNA commands us to crank up the FM station, but doesn't give us much reason to. It's flavor-free dance pabulum with vacant lyrics ("I want to escape/With a person just like you") and a blase vocal that would sound more at home on NPR. C -- Adam Markovitz

Ouch. Here's hoping the video can win a second chance for the song. [interesting that they consider this a single ... I mean, has it been released officially in the U.S.? I don't know if any remixes are available on iTunes or anything... I know EW did this with "Masterpiece," though, too. They reviewed it as a "single" -- which, it never really was a single and it wasn't even available yet. I think they reviewed it before the soundtrack was even out. But any press mention is good in that regard, I suppose. I don't recall the grade they gave it -- I think it was a B or a B-. But the tone of the review was much kinder than this one, to be sure.]

Did they lie...?

If this comes out as true it will be the most missed opportunity in her career. FAKT.

Not the most but certainly one of the biggest. Through all her career there were some huge missed opportunities, like not releasing Impressive Instant as a single and refusing the lead part for the Sunset Boulevard movie.

I doubt there will be a QT directed vdo for Gang Bang. That ship has unfortunately sailed . I'll be happy if we get a Live vdo.

Interesting ... I honestly don't remember the Sunday Girl demo very well ... I know I listened to it once back when the rumor started, and I think I saw people talking about it since saying they couldn't find the YouTube link, etc. It wasn't very memorable to me -- but I feel like I know the Solveig template from his collabs with Dragonette. "Hello" -- "Boys and Girls" -- "Big in Japan" -- et al. Personally, while they're cute songs, the vocals are a different style to Madonna's. I don't know if it would work. Maybe the TUTR demo was a slightly different animal.

I'll grant you that M's TUTR doesn't exactly have teeth... it's not fierce, even after the speakers blow. But to me, that works for radio. I'd say it could use a good 12" remix to make a club banger, and maybe it would shift it into a different gear. But I feel it already has more of a depth than most of Solveig's work. It achieves the mood M said she set out for, which was happy, cheerful. But I guess then, if people want to continue to resist the songs SIMPLE charm, they really have a dislike for Solveig's production rather than her vocals. This song isn't going to have her growling like "Rescue Me" or moaning like JML/Erotica... it doesn't really even call for a banshee wail like RoL. I think she turns her own vocals up a notch when she gets to the speakers blowing part -- and that's as much animation as the song really needs production-wise. Maybe I'm wrong... I don't know. [Maybe bluejean's right -- and I'm complacent, too! Haha!]

But thanks for the interesting tidbits about demos for JML and Paradise, Nightshade. [And re: "How High?" -- I don't recall whose review that was, but I remember reading that and thinking, "She's really damned if she does, and damned if she doesn't. No matter what she sings about, there's no pleasing everyone." Personally, I like "How High?" too... good production, catchy songwriting, and good vocals from her. And the message is pretty nuanced, too. It is a little deeper with its existential questions provoked by her experience of fame, wealth, media/societal criticism. But there are shades of meaning to be teased out of the questions -- like "Should I carry on?" and "Was it all worth it? I guess I deserve it..." There's an ambivalence there, and I always find it more interesting when she leaves room for multiple meanings.]

I didn't know the EW review was posted in here; I posted it in the other TUTTR thread.

I can see the reviewer's point- it's not a very EXCITING track. I'd probably give it a B- at worst, though.

No worries, HolidayGuy. In fact, YOU were the one to put the review in the correct thread! I couldn't be bothered to dig out the older thread, which was just laziness on my part. Thanks to you! :thumbsup:

She needs to make a MARK, and a kickass balls to the wall video (In our dreams directed by Tarantino) would make that mark. People would be talking about it all over the place. It really would be an event moment in pop music.

I think you're right in terms of making it an 'event' -- although I acknowledge it's highly, highly unlikely at this point. I'm sure it will be a live video (if at all) with club remixes for singles. (Orbit already admitted he had one -- that Key Club Remix or whatever.) If she really wanted to try to cash in a bit, she could release that (polarizing) "Bang Bang Boom" demo as an additional incentive for the digital single.

Yeah, the Tarantino involvement would certainly make a bigger impact in pop culture. In general, it would be kinda cool if she'd head that direction with videos in the future ... reunions with Romanek and Fincher, who have moved on to film, and collabs with the likes of established film directors and admitted fans Almodovar and Tarantino. That would lend some gravitas to the proceedings and show a level of commitment without turning to bloated, overblown "EPIC" videos like other stars have been doing lately to gain attention for their videos. I'm not saying Madonna couldn't do a good half-hour video of several songs -- a la Kanye -- or even a ten-minute, story-driven video -- a la you-know-who. But it seems those are the music videos that get any attention. Some people overhype them, but even at that, they do seem to fail to satisfy on some levels. ... and that segues to my closing thought about the possibility of a "Gang Bang" video directed by Tarantino: the idea of it may be far more appealing than the end product. It's a good thing I'm not Madonna -- I'm too driven by fear sometimes -- and my fear would be that the video would never live up to people's expectations.

Of course, to some, that might not matter. Just the fact that bazillions of people would watch it on YouTube/VEVO or whatever to see it (even if they will refuse to be impressed by it in the end) would provide added exposure for the album/single and prove M's continued relevance. (I'm not saying I buy into that -- I'm just saying how some might not really care whether it's successful artistically or not ... they'd be satisfied with the marketing angle.)

I don't think so. It doesn't sound any different to Confessions vocals to me. Although I don't think she laboured over this album like Ray of Light or American Life (or W.E.) I wouldn't say she's bored of doing music but I do think she's become complacent. Certainly more thought, effort and time went into W.E.

I don't know that we can really say that. Even if the recording process took less time than RoL or AL, the break between albums has been long enough that her 'effort' cannot be accurately assessed. As we've said in other threads (particulary the Orbit meltdown thread), we know she writes continually, journaling and keeping scraps of ideas for later recording. Just because she wasn't in a studio as long doesn't mean there was less effort.

Not the most but certainly one of the biggest. Through all her career there were some huge missed opportunities, like not releasing Impressive Instant as a single and refusing the lead part for the Sunset Boulevard movie.

I don't recall that she "turned down" Sunset Boulevard. She may have hypothetically offered her opinion that she doesn't like to repeat herself and because she did Evita she might not want to do another film musical written by Andrew Lloyd Webber. But even that was just a temporary reaction -- it's a different musical altogether, and we can all agree (I think) she'd have been better off to do another film musical (Chicago) after Evita, rather than TNBT and Swept Away.

And that's my opinion about the 'biggest misses' of her career question. I'd say Chicago is her biggest missed opportunity. Looking at the Oscar acclaim garnered by the film once it was eventually made, you can see that would have been better for her film career, even if she wouldn't have been nominated and won like Catherine Zeta-Jones. But just in terms of her Fosse connections and her perfect fit for the Velma character/look, and the themes of the musical, it was a perfect vehicle/era for M. Oh well. Too bad she missed out on that... In terms of her music career, Madonna's 'misses' all have their silver linings and hidden fan gems (in terms of reviled albums). But her acting career is an area where she could always use more accolades or success, so that's why I'd say Chicago was the one that got away. But this is a topic for another thread -- and I believe it's been discussed recently in two separate threads in the General Discussion area.

Sunset Boulevard, though, is still a possibility, no? I don't know that production has started on a film version, has it? Maybe I missed an announcement somewhere, though... I imagine that Les Miserables will do well and might get a few long-languishing film musicals green-lighted in the wake of its success (unlike Rock of Ages -- lol!). I think M would be a good fit for Sunset Boulevard, but we'll see...

Guest bluejean

I suspect she'd have to beg and plead for it like she did with Evita. She's not exactly a respected actress these days. Although maybe Andrew Lloyd Webber would be in favour of her? Does he speak highly of her?

I suspect she'd have to beg and plead for it like she did with Evita. She's not exactly a respected actress these days. Although maybe Andrew Lloyd Webber would be in favour of her? Does he speak highly of her?

He does! I definitely recall he saying that she refused the Sunset Boulevard lead role. That wasn't too long ago.

Nightshade- what's this about "Paradise (Not For Me)"? Madge co-wrote it with Mirawis- did someone else do a demo or something?

EDIT: I checked the Genesis Timeline. I see there were comments about the pre-existence, but nothing in the timeline about using another female vocalist.

EDIT: I checked the Genesis Timeline. I see there were comments about the pre-existence, but nothing in the timeline about using another female vocalist.

I could be remembering incorrectly, however I thought I had read that she didn't change anything about the song. Could have just been the music part, however it was a completed track prior to her involvement because it was pretty much finished when they met.