The "Turn Up The Radio" Video Thread

No Madonna song right now- regardless of perceived quality or lack thereof- would be a big hit.

not true but it would have to be out of this world amazingness

tumblr_m2jr5rE5gm1qmepluo1_500.gif

Damn she looks stunning here.

In anycase wasnt there a rumor that they were looking to use the song for some kind of ad campaign? I hope so to give it some kind of exposure.

^those campaigns have only little if any impact to the songs success

time for a live tv performance

I want to see her do something amazing at the VMA's!!!!!

Will she be in the area around that time?

I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see her on Alan Carr: Chatty Man, could you imagine her face when he offers her a drink!!!!! LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I would love to see that too. I imagine those two would have a right laugh!

^those campaigns have only little if any impact to the songs success

Depends also. We Are Young took off big time because of a commercial.

^And fun. was a relatively new act. Madonna's been around almost 30 years; she's not going to have people discover her out of the blue.

Like I said, at this moment in time, a biug hit is not likely to happen. Maybe with a lead single from the next album- but in the USA, I would not expect much more than a GMAYL-size hit.

^NEW Madonna songs. :) Hard to tell how an older song would do if released as brand-new in this day and age.One thing we do know- Madonna would still be an almost 54-year-old female.

Not everyone knows what new Madonna sounds like. Most of the time people think it's a different or new artist when they hear a new M song.

I do wonder, what the "non-traditional promo" approach will be for this single.

I could see advertisements that read "GET READY TO TURN UP THE RADIO JULY 12TH" or something cheesy like that. Do hope they televise a live performance on some kind of talk show.

New Madonna doesn't sound all too different from "old" Madonna, though. :) That's not even the point, though. Like some other acts, there's a stigma attached for some, regardless of the music.

Your a fan.

I'm a fan.

The general public on the other hand, haven't really heard her music in like 10 years. It doesn't sound the same to them.

Again, your a fan. I'm a fan. We know her music. The general public, doesn't.

:)

She needs to release something different than generic dance to score a hit. Girl Gone Wild was a terrible move as it was nothing new. Sure, they loved it in Italy and Finland, but I can totally see why "Masterpiece" got some attention. Also, something like "I Fucked Up" or "Im a Sinner" could make her look cool again.

Cher scored big with "Believe", I don't see why Madonna can't with the right song that connects with the times and people.

The general U.S. public would know songs like "Hung Up" and "4 Minutes," even though the former wasn't a huge U.S. radio hit.

"Believe" was a worldwide fluke; the USA was the last territory for it to conquer. Cher never had the kind of success that Madonna had, either, so that album was huge for her.

whoopie- I'm talking as someone who has followed the charts for well more than two decades, trends, all of that; I'm not just talking out of my arse. :)

who cares if its a hit or not.

as long as you like it and enjoy it and makes you happy.

Well, Madonna clearly cares. If not she'd just release whatever the fuck she wanted instead of the most mediocre songs on the album just because they sound "in".

Only gays and girls who are friends with gays know Hung Up.

In the US maybe, but in the UK and probably Europe, it's incredibly well known. It's right up their with Music and Vogue.

As for singles, Madonna's said that she's no good at choosing them and we know how much influence the record company have had in the past. I can see why they went for what they did but as we know, it's backfired.

TUTR is a safe third single and does just sound like third single material. Safe pop. With the release seeming to tie in with her live shows in the UK and hopefully everything being released together, it could just nudge it into the top 40. However, if it bombed, it wouldn't surprise me now. The album's concept has fizzled away and there's no real interest in the project.

didnt it go number 1 in like 4o odd countries, I'd say it was Madonna's most famous (non 80s) song to non fans! When it came out it was EVERYWHERE!!!!

America.

America.

America.

Look at my location. NJ. Which is in the USA.

The conversation was between HolidayGuy (who is also a resident of the US) and I.

This was an A and B conversation, so C your way out.

All a song needs is exposure and people have to like it. Stick TUTR in an ad and people might like what they hear. (personally I dont think the song has enough kick, but thats just me) We Are Young becoming a huge hit had nothing to do with them being a new act. It could have been sung by people in their 60s and the reaction from people would have been the same. People litterally flooded to the web to find out who the hell sung that song during the Super Bowl spots and started downloading it. If people like a song they dont give a shit about age.

Madonna could have scored another huge hit with the intitial exposure GMAYL got, but the song blew and most people thought so. It didnt flop because of her age. It flopped because it was a crap lead single.

It barely made an impact in the US (yeah it went to #7, thnx to sales), unless you watched TRL.

TRL was still a big deal back then. I forgot all about that until you mentioned it. It might be "forgotten" by the general public, but even though radio didn't play it much, it was hard not to be aware of the song. And for much longer than GMAYL. One thing I'm surprised about is that dance radio (like KTU in NYC) doesn't play it today. They played it quite a bit in 2005, and if it was going to survive as a "known" Madonna single, AC and dance radio would be how. But I guess not.

TRL was still a big deal back then. I forgot all about that until you mentioned it. It might be "forgotten" by the general public, but even though radio didn't play it much, it was hard not to be aware of the song. And for much longer than GMAYL. One thing I'm surprised about is that dance radio (like KTU in NYC) doesn't play it today. They played it quite a bit in 2005, and if it was going to survive as a "known" Madonna single, AC and dance radio would be how. But I guess not.

The same with 4 Minutes also. I used to hear Music and Dont Tell Me alot also.

There used to be a time a few years ago when I couldnt turn the radio on without hearing an old Madonna classic, but ever since 2010 hit I hardly hear her on the radio anymore. KTU used to be Madonna central and its rare to even hear her on there. Even when they do all 90s weekends (they used to do all 80s weekends up till 2 years ago) they dont even play any of Madonna's 90s hits.

This song has the potential if it is handled correctly. It is not a generic song at all in my opinion and it is by far the right song for the radio with a great melody, hook and an upbeat fun song. As much as I love Love Spent or any other great tracks from MDNA, this is made for radio. GGW and GMAYL were fan songs and TUTR is in my opinion a universally appealing.

I played this to my family( from my parents to my nieces and in-laws) and they loved it so much that they repeatedly ask me to play it again so my little nieces can sing along with it from the top of their lungs. At first no one even knew it was Madonna and who cares, they enjoy it.

My family is not the general public but they are the world to me.

If people like a song they dont give a shit about age.

Madonna could have scored another huge hit with the intitial exposure GMAYL got, but the song blew and most people thought so. It didnt flop because of her age. It flopped because it was a crap lead single.

Thank YOU!!

I'm saying this since the beggining of this era. The flops have nothing to do with her age. It was all GMAYL fault, the song didn't connected with the public (even with the fans!). i'm not denying ageism we know exist, specially with her because of her success, but the age issue has more to do with her general public image than her music. For the public she's old since ray of light but that didn't stop radio to play her songs. GMAYL failed, let's hope TUTR become a hit, there's everything to be in my opinion.

I loved adreeyen idea about the olympics, but she doesn't need to tie with the event. If the song makes a boom throughout the games season, it can be a huge hit without being olympics official song. This happens every fucking world cup here in Brazil, always a song becomes a hit just because make people come together. And I believe TUTR can do this.

Impact is measured by more than airplay, though- HU was a No. 1 sales hit (scanning 1.2m or so- pretty darn good for a 2005 release, when digital sales were lower), so it had a decent impact.

Some of the most known songs weren't huge chart hits. The HU video also probably is remembered, even in the USA. It was nominated for Video of the Year at the VMAs, after all (back when the VMAs meant a little more more than they do now).