So when can we expect the first lot of Boxscores?

Apples388

I am not sure there is a rhyme or reason to when they are posted. However, Sticky & Sweet's first dates weren't posted until the entire first (European) leg was done. They posted pretty much all the Europe dates at once...about 6 weeks after the tour started in August 2008.

Also, I bet Abu Dhabi is listed as TWO sell-outs, even if (in reality) the second one wasn't. You know how Live Nation is...

It's a shame my sister no longer works at Flash (the local organisers for he Abu Dhabi gigs), she would have known the figures by now.

I can always ask her to enquire from her previous work colleagues.

I am confident the Tel Aviv show was sold out; as is Istanbul.

Abu Dhabi is so tricky. The first one definitely sold out initially in 30 minutes; but then they released extra tickets nearer the date because after the venue renovation more space became available - does that mean if they didn't all sell, the show isn't a sellout? The 2nd date is even trickier because that one definitely did not sell out for a long time, which is why they started advertising these "package deals" for spa weekends, flights etc. bundled with the gig. They were relying also on word of mouth from the first gig to give the 2nd shoe the final push to selling out but we just can't tell for sure.

Abu Dhabi is so tricky. The first one definitely sold out initially in 30 minutes; but then they released extra tickets nearer the date because after the venue renovation more space became available - does that mean if they didn't all sell, the show isn't a sellout? The 2nd date is even trickier because that one definitely did not sell out for a long time, which is why they started advertising these "package deals" for spa weekends, flights etc. bundled with the gig. They were relying also on word of mouth from the first gig to give the 2nd shoe the final push to selling out but we just can't tell for sure.

You were at both shows, right? Did it look like less people at the second one? I still think Live Nation will list them as sell outs. Their math is completely arbitrary in my opinion.

You were at both shows, right? Did it look like less people at the second one? I still think Live Nation will list them as sell outs. Their math is completely arbitrary in my opinion.

The "arena" is made up of three sections: Golden Circle; General Standing and Reserved Seating. On both nights the Reserved Seating looked full.

I was in the Golden Triangle on the first show but I could see that both the Golden Circle and General Standing were full.

I was in the General Standing on the 2nd show and it looked full but a bit 'roomier' than the first show.

It's difficult to tell though because it's not seated like an arena and you don't have seats all around except for the floor standing area in a stadium. It's just a horrible, odd venue. :lmao:

Where's John Draper?

RooRoo those two Abu Dhabi shows were BAT Barcelona all over again!! I wish you were there. You would have LOVED it too.

We need a documentary for this show.

"I on the other hand was NOT in the mood for Arabs in HEAT."

I do love a bit of HumidHair

this tour needs a documentary!!

I'm toying with Birmingham but I want a good seat

I think the promoter sets an allotment with a fixed number of tickets before sales start. If this amount of tickets is sold the show is officially sold out. Now people will say this is cheating and if this was true the promoter could say the fixed number is 5000 tickets in a 60000 seat stadium and it would be called "sold out". But people fail to realize that usually the original allotment mainly works as a target for the productions revenue management. This is the number they have to achieve to generate enough revenue to cover all costs and finally reach the budgeted profit. Selling less does not necessarily mean there is a loss, Usually it will be just less profitable. Of course, if sales are really bad and you are in danger to miss the break even point this might end up with a cancellation. The reason cited "production issues".

I do love a bit of HumidHair

this tour needs a documentary!!

I'm toying with Birmingham but I want a good seat

You could always get Gold Circle for Hyde Park and stay overnight in a sleeping bag in the hope you'll get front row for Golden Circle and then get picked for Golden Triangle!

I think the promoter sets an allotment with a fixed number of tickets before sales start. If this amount of tickets is sold the show is officially sold out. Now people will say this is cheating and if this was true the promoter could say the fixed number is 5000 tickets in a 60000 seat stadium and it would be called "sold out". But people fail to realize that usually the original allotment mainly works as a target for the productions revenue management. This is the number they have to achieve to generate enough revenue to cover all costs and finally reach the budgeted profit. Selling less does not necessarily mean there is a loss, Usually it will be just less profitable. Of course, if sales are really bad and you are in danger to miss the break even point this might end up with a cancellation. The reason cited "production issues".

That is definitely true. Which is why the first Abu Dhabi show was quickly labelled as a sellout - because all those allocated seats were sold in 30 minutes. My sister told me for a fact that the arena houses 30,000 maximum capacity. They put 25,000 tickets forward for sale for Madonna and they all sold out in 30 minutes.

The second show did not sell those 25,000 tickets up until she stopped working for Flash (about 3 months ago).

You could always get Gold Circle for Hyde Park and stay overnight in a sleeping bag in the hope you'll get front row for Golden Circle and then get picked for Golden Triangle!

Ugh I have general standing for Hyde Park bless a girl at work got them as a surprise. I didn't hae the heart to say I only go near the front.

That's why I want Birmingham I may scout eBay nearer the time for one ticket

I'd quite like Birmingham as well as it is an arena but I've spent so much money on this tour already. :(

It's Madonna. She's worth it. Let's go together in full costume.

*ends up in Mama makeup outfit*

Raiders of the Lost Ark is correct about the projected "sell out" figures. It's the industry standard. Even if a concert is still selling tickets at the door after the artist has gone on stage, as long as they've reached the predetermined sales figure (determined well before a single ticket goes on sale), the show is an official sell out and is reported as such. All touring companies operate this way. Madonna is one of the only artists on the planet who comes anywhere near close to selling out every date on an arena/stadium tour. Some claim that Live Nation fudge the figures and lower projected sell out figures when they realise that tickets aren't selling as well as they had hoped, but this is untrue. If it were easy to change figures, the Seville and Blane Castle dates on the previous two tours would have been listed as sell outs, too.

I don't think it depends merely on Live Nation otherwise the whole Billboard Boxscore thing would be kind of pointless to begin with, especially if you have to compile a list of highest-grossing tours based on such record material. We could then make such assumptions for pretty much any other act signed to LN or other companies and LN has quite a number of high profile names under its belt

Raiders of the Lost Ark is correct about the projected "sell out" figures. It's the industry standard. Even if a concert is still selling tickets at the door after the artist has gone on stage, as long as they've reached the predetermined sales figure (determined well before a single ticket goes on sale), the show is an official sell out and is reported as such. All touring companies operate this way. Madonna is one of the only artists on the planet who comes anywhere near close to selling out every date on an arena/stadium tour. Some claim that Live Nation fudge the figures and lower projected sell out figures when they realise that tickets aren't selling as well as they had hoped, but this is untrue. If it were easy to change figures, the Seville and Blane Castle dates on the previous two tours would have been listed as sell outs, too.

Thank you :thumbsup:

I have a feeling it'll look like this:

Madonna, Tel Aviv

1/1

Madonna, Abu Dhabi

1/2

Madonna, Istanbul

1/1

:(

My predictions: all dates sell-outs minus a couple (at 85%) over a number of 100+ gigs

this will be her first nonsellout tour in decades?

She didn't sell out Confessions, Sticky and Sweet or Sticky and Sweet 2.0. The only officially completely sold out tours have been DW and RIT.

It's Madonna. She's worth it. Let's go together in full costume.

*ends up in Mama makeup outfit*

There are 2 really good seats on gumtree for Birmingham block D (near enough front block) £300 for the pair. Im not sure how safe Gumtree is though.

She didn't sell out Confessions, Sticky and Sweet or Sticky and Sweet 2.0. The only officially completely sold out tours have been DW and RIT.

The Sloane Castle date in Re-Invention didn't sell out.

There are 2 really good seats on gumtree for Birmingham block D (near enough front block) £300 for the pair. Im not sure how safe Gumtree is though.

Eh. Dodgy!

The Sloane Castle date in Re-Invention didn't sell out.

Damn! I got my tours mixed up and thought the castle date was during CT. Flop fan! :) Thanks for the correction! That means she's only ever officially sold out ONE tour. Still, she's only had one date per tour not sell out since 2001, so she hasn't done too badly at all! :)