So when can we expect the first lot of Boxscores?

Apples388

ok wait wait wait ... which shows didnt she sell out on the CT and S&S tour!??!?!

CT: Prague (99 %)

S&S: Sevilla (82%)

It should not matter if she sells out or not. As long as the show has been successful. Madonna is the only artist I know who can sell 40,000+ tickets to a single concert and this still be viewed as a negative because there were empty parts of the stadium. Here in Scotland she has sold 42,000+ tickets for a single show (at last report), probably more now. I don't know of any other woman in music who could do that at this point in Scotland, but for some reason if there is an empty block or two in Murrayfield I know some parts of the media will focus on that and it will be reported as less than successful.

Out of interest does anyone know how many tickets for Murrayfield have been sold?

Guest andifeel

Prague didnt reach technical sellout status on CT.

Seville didnt reach technicall sellout on S&S.

Lots of S&S dates were technical sellouts even though the venue was under capacity, e.g. Cardiff has an actual capacity of 58,000 for concerts. The technical sellout figure was set at 30,000. They sold 33,000 so it was reported as a 33,000 sellout. Comps and papering cant be counted towards the sellout figure, and almost 10,000 tickets were comped or papered meaning there were 43.000 in the building.

Hope that makes sense x

Edited by andifeel

Prague didnt reach technical sellout status on CT.

Seville didnt reach technicall sellout on S&S.

Lots of S&S dates were technical sellouts even though the venue was under capacity, e.g. Cardiff has an actual capacity of 58,000 for concerts. The technical sellout figure was set at 30,000. They sold 33,000 so it was reported as a 33,000 sellout. Comps and papering cant be counted towards the sellout figure, and almost 10,000 tickets were comped or papered meaning there were 43.000 in the building.

Hope that makes sense x

I'm afraid it doesn't make any sense at all.

Sorry, someone like Madonna who even charges celebrity friends and journalists (Hello Mr Friedman!) wont give away 10.000 tickets just to make an arena or stadium look full. I have never heard about such practise when it comes to Madonna. Don't remember any reports that make this claim. If this was true, the media would have had a field day about it. Why should they keep quiet about it?

Guest andifeel

I'm afraid it doesn't make any sense at all.

Sorry, someone like Madonna who even charges celebrity friends and journalists (Hello Mr Friedman!) wont give away 10.000 tickets just to make an arena or stadium look full. I have never heard about such practise when it comes to Madonna. Don't remember any reports that make this claim. If this was true, the media would have had a field day about it. Why should they keep quiet about it?

They didnt keep quiet about it. It was in the press in Wales the next day.

It's perfectly normal practice. It doesnt take much effort to give 1000s of tickets away to radio stations, internet offers, press etc etc to fill the venues up. Here in the UK it's common place - whilst people wont have paid for tickets, they will still be in the venue spending money on food, drinks and merchandise.

Hope this is useful information to you. x

They didnt keep quiet about it. It was in the press in Wales the next day.

It's perfectly normal practice. It doesnt take much effort to give 1000s of tickets away to radio stations, internet offers, press etc etc to fill the venues up. Here in the UK it's common place - whilst people wont have paid for tickets, they will still be in the venue spending money on food, drinks and merchandise.

Hope this is useful information to you. x

You were talking about 10.000 tickets in your first post. That's a huge number. And what might be common pratice for some acts is uncommon for Madonna. As I said, I have never heard about something like this. I even did a little search on the web since you said it was in the welsh press back then. Couldn't find any article about it. In addition I don't get what this has to do with food and drinks. This is money the venue is making not the artist. And the venue is not the production that sells the tickets. They can only give those tickets away they have been given by the production. But this is a rather small number. Usually those tickets are passed to the venues most important customers. Companies that rent those VIP boxes for an insane amount of money. Once again why should Madonna care if an arena or stadium appears to be half empty as long as the budgeted number of tickets are sold and enough revenues generated to make an expected profit. Any further ticket sold makes the profit rise. Any ticket given away for free doesn't do anything for her. You see, she simply has no motivation to set allotments of complimentary tickets.

My question would be if the "actual capacity" of 58,000 is based on her specific tour or on the general safety standards for a "full" venue... Because every act's stage/set-up would create different sight-lines, etc. For U2, with the 360 stage, obviously they could seat 360, but a tour like Madonna's is very visually-based and would not have sufficient visibility for those seated 'behind' the stage.

Not trying to be overly critical. Just curious if that figure you're referencing is reflecting that or accounting for that.

(And, welcome to the forum! Please don't let our protective instincts for Madonna -- which might make some skeptical -- make you feel unwelcome here.)

Sorry, someone like Madonna who even charges celebrity friends and journalists (Hello Mr Friedman!) wont give away 10.000 tickets just to make an arena or stadium look full.

I also found this unusual. I have a friend who was working for MTV in NYC at the time of the Confessions Tour. No one at the network was given free tickets -- although they were given access to purchase (at full price) tickets. He didn't go -- but his wife and I went (with tickets I purchased through ICON). I took both him and his wife to Sticky & Sweet at Madison Square Garden (by which time he was working for VH1 instead of MTV), and he had a terrific time. :) I felt glad I could take both of them to their first Madonna shows.

But, yeah. Anecdotally, you don't hear much about comp tickets to Madonna at all. I suppose there may be an exception or two in her history at huge venues.

Guest andifeel

Im a newbie to this forum (I usually only use it to promote the Madonna UK Launch Parties) however i'm well known on the Icon & Tribe boards.

I just thought i'd join in a chat over hear. Im completely correct in what I said about S&S Wales - and ironically enough several thousand tickets have been comped for the Rome date tonight, if you scout around the forums you'll see many have had emails.

In future i'll stay quiet and keep my input to these forums as solely keeping friends here updated with the Launch parties (www.madonnafanparty.co.uk).

All the best xx

Guest andifeel

You were talking about 10.000 tickets in your first post. That's a huge number. And what might be common pratice for some acts is uncommon for Madonna. As I said, I have never heard about something like this. I even did a little search on the web since you said it was in the welsh press back then. Couldn't find any article about it. In addition I don't get what this has to do with food and drinks. This is money the venue is making not the artist. And the venue is not the production that sells the tickets. They can only give those tickets away they have been given by the production. But this is a rather small number. Usually those tickets are passed to the venues most important customers. Companies that rent those VIP boxes for an insane amount of money. Once again why should Madonna care if an arena or stadium appears to be half empty as long as the budgeted number of tickets are sold and enough revenues generated to make an expected profit. Any further ticket sold makes the profit rise. Any ticket given away for free doesn't do anything for her. You see, she simply has no motivation to set allotments of complimentary tickets.

I see your points however you couldnt be more incorrect in most of the points you make. Have a chat with some Livenation staff or AEG. It's a really interesting way of working that they have. The promoters commit to a certain 'sell' at the merchandise and concession (food and drink) stands too in some venues - for example, the O2 in London dont take a cut, but Wembley do - therefore in Wembleys' case its always best to fill the venue with comps.

x

Im just amazed that she seems like she is going to sellout Yankee Stadium 2xs over along with Madison Square Garden on top of it. Shows no matter how hard it is for Madonna to score new hits in America, her name still draws a large ass crowd.

Im just amazed that she seems like she is going to sellout Yankee Stadium 2xs over along with Madison Square Garden on top of it. Shows no matter how hard it is for Madonna to score new hits in America, her name still draws a large ass crowd.

Amen

I was always surprised at the S&S Cardiff boxscore as the stadium looked much fuller than reported. If you consider how many people attended CT in Cardiff, it did not look much different.

Giving away tickets to gigs that have lots of empty seats is good business sense. If it shifted a couple of extra thousand tour books, t-shirts etc, that can add up to a lot of extra revenue for artist.

Giving away tickets to gigs that have lots of empty seats is good business sense. If it shifted a couple of extra thousand tour books, t-shirts etc, that can add up to a lot of extra revenue for artist.

BUT this isn't necessarily true. Usually people who get stuff for free do not generate any additional revenues. Whereas people who already paid 350 dollars for a ticket don't care if they spend another 30 on a tourbook or a t-shirt. The perspective of both of those customers are totally different. The person who did not spend any money in the first place thinks 30 bucks is quite expensive. The person who paid top dollar does not have this impression since 30 dollars is just a small fraction of the ticket price. For them this 30 dollars is a bargain. It's all about psychology.

BUT this isn't necessarily true. Usually people who get stuff for free do not generate any additional revenues. Whereas people who already paid 350 dollars for a ticket don't care if they spend another 30 on a tourbook or a t-shirt. The perspective of both of those customers are totally different. The person who did not spend any money in the first place thinks 30 bucks is quite expensive. The person who paid top dollar does not have this impression since 30 dollars is just a small fraction of the ticket price. For them this 30 dollars is a bargain. It's all about psychology.

Some of those people will have generated some revenue, and some would be impressed enough to pay to see her in the future.

who the hell r they giving away 10,000 tickets too!?!?!? !LOL in such short ass notice????

say rome sold 40,000 tixs months ago, holds 72, 000, minus whatever it is for the stage setup and however many tickets sold

..and so i'm a psycho...cause after spending 300 euro for rome and at least 200 for florence (considering for that transport nad hotel) i really have no intention to spend anything more except the tour book....if i find one.... :smile:

CT: Prague (99 %)

S&S: Sevilla (82%)

I was at CT in Prague, Im sure youre right but when I was there the queue was huge and people were banging on the window to get tickets. It was sold out. There were a couple of people outside selling the tickets for twice the price and there was nearly a riot from people trying to buy them! There was even posters in the windows of bars in town (In Prague 1 and Prague 2) saying that they had spare tickets for the sold out concert and to go in and ask about the price.

Guys, andifeel is very knowledgeable and well respected when it comes to Madonna - don't let his "newbie" status put you off. I know I'm not the most prolific or highly regarded member here, but I hope my word counts for something :)

I see your points however you couldnt be more incorrect in most of the points you make. Have a chat with some Livenation staff or AEG. It's a really interesting way of working that they have. The promoters commit to a certain 'sell' at the merchandise and concession (food and drink) stands too in some venues - for example, the O2 in London dont take a cut, but Wembley do - therefore in Wembleys' case its always best to fill the venue with comps.

x

Hello Andifeel....

Please don't let these idiots who think they know everything put you off posting here, as I for one am VERY interested in what you have to say...and believe you...

Most of these people that criticise are still pissed of that Madonna didnt accept their application for part of the management team.

Im a newbie to this forum (I usually only use it to promote the Madonna UK Launch Parties) however i'm well known on the Icon & Tribe boards.

I just thought i'd join in a chat over hear. Im completely correct in what I said about S&S Wales - and ironically enough several thousand tickets have been comped for the Rome date tonight, if you scout around the forums you'll see many have had emails.

In future i'll stay quiet and keep my input to these forums as solely keeping friends here updated with the Launch parties (www.madonnafanparty.co.uk).

All the best xx

please keep posting, I think your contributions are very informative

i just figured, she uses half the staduim due to her large ass stage, so it makes sense the italy shows venue of 72, 000 is sold out (say) 45,000

i hear all european dates are sold out, so meh

(i just am mistrusting of all newbies since their posts consist of cutting up or bitching about madonna)