Do you like the inclusion of "Born This Way"?

MadFan

139 members have voted

1. 1. ?

Wasn't the song released on a Friday, the Grammys were like on a Saturday or Sunday (where she thanked Whitney Houston while dressed in BAT attire & pulling some BAT moves), then she was on Leno's show I think some days after. On Leno's show is where she made the email comments. Liz's comment came maybe a few days after that, no? I think during that same week following the Grammys is when Laurieann was throwing shade at M & her BAT on CNN because some guy was saying there were similarities--I don't know if this was before the Leno interview.

It wasn't until a while after that Laurieann made the comments in the LA Times stating they ripped off M on purpose & that she should be bitter about it. I think that DJ Whiteshadow also made comments about how there weren't similarities & blowing smoke up LG's ass as if she had invented pop music (was he the one that said that people have flashes on their faces because of LG?)?

Um, you lost me there. I guess you're the Gaga-Hater King :bow: congratulations

Exactly.

Anyway, if she HAD to include that piece of shit on her hit song she should just leave at that and not put She's Not Me there. I would be okay with that. But for now i can't. :thumbsdown:

:thumbsup: Madonna crossed the line with that one. Unnecessary...she should just leave the question in the air.

As I said in another thread, Gaga should be thanking her lucky stars that Madonna is paying her this back handed compliment because, really, she had every right to sue that motherfucking copycat piece of corporate privileged shit for plagiarism.

Even her former creative director CRAPPYanne Gibson admitted to copying M for CaCa's sake...

"“Listen, [Madonna] should be bitter because I did it on purpose,” Gibson said, “and you can quote me. I did it on purpose because for all those kids who believe that you can’t, I wanted to let them feel that you can.” LA Times

Where as awhile back when she was on GAG's payroll she denied it.

Magaret Cho: It's the exact same song. I mean, it is the exact same song. Exactly the same!

:thumbsup::lmao:

LUV HER!

“Whether it’s an homage or a smack in the face or just being funny, I don’t know,” said Liz Rosenberg, Madonna’s spokeswoman. “People can decide what it means. Madonna isn’t one to explain herself.”

:bow::clap:

"Whether it's an homage or a smack in the face or just being funny, I don't know," said Liz Rosenberg, Madonna's spokeswoman. "People can decide what it means. Madonna isn't one to explain herself."

source?

“Whether it’s an homage or a smack in the face or just being funny, I don’t know,” said Liz Rosenberg, Madonna’s spokeswoman. “People can decide what it means. Madonna isn’t one to explain herself.”

:chuckle:

Now let's stop over analyzing and enjoy the show!

:bow:

Guest jamesshot

I think one thing is clear, to me at least, and that is Madonna clearly knows Gaga is not really a fan of hers. Gaga has a way of praising Madonna yet also getting in subtle digs and back handed compliments. Gaga feels superior to Madonna and she seems to try and show her up. Just reading different interviews Gaga has given throughout the years I've always felt she feels she is better than Madonna. She is that delusional and full of herself. This kind of full frontal slam of Gaga by Madonna makes me think Madonna knows something we don't and is using this opportunity to let Gaga knows she isn't fooled by her.

I'll still enjoy watching it in Dallas, New Orleans and maybe Houston!

more like a smack in the face to me. job well done!

I think one thing is clear, to me at least, and that is Madonna clearly knows Gaga is not really a fan of hers. Gaga has a way of praising Madonna yet also getting in subtle digs and back handed compliments. Gaga feels superior to Madonna and she seems to try and show her up. Just reading different interviews Gaga has given throughout the years I've always felt she feels she is better than Madonna. She is that delusional and full of herself. This kind of full frontal slam of Gaga by Madonna makes me think Madonna knows something we don't and is using this opportunity to let Gaga knows she isn't fooled by her.

Totally agree. That's why i always laugh when Gaga fans are saying that Gaga is always "so nice" to Madonna :lmao:

The more I think about that, the more I agree. Gaga has taken things Madonna has done and just added onto them as a way of "out-doing" Madonna. Take the cone bra for example, Gaga took that and said "Hey! let me fix this to where sparks shoot out. WAY MORE MEMORABLE!" Look at the attempted kiss with Britney. "Madonna did kiss Britney.....but I'm going to do it DRESSED AS A GUY"

Even though we all seen what happened there. :lmao:

The more I think about that, the more I agree. Gaga has taken things Madonna has done and just added onto them as a way of "out-doing" Madonna. Take the cone bra for example, Gaga took that and said "Hey! let me fix this to where sparks shoot out. WAY MORE MEMORABLE!" Look at the attempted kiss with Britney. "Madonna did kiss Britney.....but I'm going to do it DRESSED AS A GUY"

Even though we all seen what happened there. :lmao:

the whole plan seems to be obvious. just make her a young madonna with a conventionally better voice. that's it.

working with steven klein, trying to be "arty". after playful and non pretentious videos out of nowhere she's "deep" a bit bizarre..i wouldnt be surprised if she'll go gypsie or basque at one point too.

i also dont believe for a second that gaga likes britney, but she licks her ass because she doesnt have madonna's balls. (or she doesnt know better, poor thing)

Some of the hate on this thread is really upsetting to see. I don't think Madonna or Gaga would be pleased, as both of their shows have such strong anti-hate, anti-conflict messages.

Madonna doesn't think Gaga ripped her off. In the "20/20" interview, when asked if it feels like a rip-off, she says, "No, because she's she and I'm me."

I also would like to call your attention to this video (watch at 0:58 - 1:17). Madonna has borrowed from many artists herself, too. I don't think any art is completely "original." Everyone gets inspiration from something/someone/somewhere. There's nothing wrong with that.

[media=]

Madonna has said that she feels flattered by Gaga's references to her in her work and would even consider doing a duet with her. I feel all art is open for interpretation, so this might not be a diss like most people are saying. And Gaga hasn't denied Madonna's influence on her work, she even thanked her in the booklet of her first album. They are both talented, strong, smart women and there is no need for this fan war. If you don't like someone's music, that's fine. But hatred is unnecessary. As Madonna said opening night, we all need to treat each other with respect.

Edited by MrMojoRisin

Guest FrozenEyes

um, I actually remember reading an interview where fernando shaded madonna really a lot.. or i think it was fernando anyway. one of the btw producers.

No that was the dj white shadow pric. Fernando hasn't said much of anything. He was asked recently about EY/BTW/SNM performance. He said Madonna's really cool and the queen of pop. And said that he thinks it's awesome she's performing his song on tour and that he'll receive some royalties each time Madonna sings one of his songs.

I wish she wouldn't do it. I mean is She's Not Me really necessary? I'm sure it's just to garner more media attention at this point for the tour, but it just takes some of the focus away. Oh well! it's obviously what she wants, so have at it!

Guest Not4Pussies

If you listen closely at the way M talks about Gaga in this years Graham interview, she refers to liking Gaga in the past tense. It's also very clear after Alejandro and BTW, Madonna doesn't really embrace Gaga like she embraces Britney.

No that was the dj white shadow pric. Fernando hasn't said much of anything. He was asked recently about EY/BTW/SNM performance. He said Madonna's really cool and the queen of pop. And said that he thinks it's awesome she's performing his song on tour and that he'll receive some royalties each time Madonna sings one of his songs.

I wish she wouldn't do it. I mean is She's Not Me really necessary? I'm sure it's just to garner more media attention at this point for the tour, but it just takes some of the focus away. Oh well! it's obviously what she wants, so have at it!

Yes that aint no news in the Madonna world right. She did it for publicity and it worked of course. Maybe she doesn't mind to pay those royalties.

Guest bluejean

Liz Rosernberg is so full of it. Of course she knows the truth behind it all, she's like Madonna's mother practically.

Pure speculation but I do think something may have happened behind the scenes that we don't know about. Madonna's attitude toward Gaga seemed to change from Alejandro onward. I suspect alot of it is to do with the way Gaga a) started blantantly copying Madonna from that video onward and b) has been working with EVERYONE Madonna has worked with from JPG, to Akerland and now that Tracy Anderson whom Madonna ditched afew years back. I really think there's abit of a catty war going between them with words going back and fourth between co-workers. I mean seems abit suss Madonna had a falling out with Tracy Anderson and now Gaga is training with her. Next Gaga will be hanging out with Guy Ritchie or Rupert Everett.

Wasn't the song released on a Friday, the Grammys were like on a Saturday or Sunday (where she thanked Whitney Houston while dressed in BAT attire & pulling some BAT moves), then she was on Leno's show I think some days after. On Leno's show is where she made the email comments. Liz's comment came maybe a few days after that, no? I think during that same week following the Grammys is when Laurieann was throwing shade at M & her BAT on CNN because some guy was saying there were similarities--I don't know if this was before the Leno interview.

It wasn't until a while after that Laurieann made the comments in the LA Times stating they ripped off M on purpose & that she should be bitter about it. I think that DJ Whiteshadow also made comments about how there weren't similarities & blowing smoke up LG's ass as if she had invented pop music (was he the one that said that people have flashes on their faces because of LG?)?

Yes, this is very close to how I recall the events... Laurieann Gibson was on CNN with some moderator who was covering the Grammys (so it aired very quickly after the Grammys performance of Born This Way -- like, the same night of, if not within 24 hours). The other person providing commentary was Keith Caulfield of Billboard magazine (and well-known Madonna fan/chart expert). Keith was asked his opinion by the moderator, and he indicated there were clear nods/winks to Blond Ambition-era Madonna, specifically the ponytail and the Like A Prayer-esque choreography. Laurieann attacked him and wouldn't even let him get a word in edgewise after that -- she vehemently denied the references were there, and she paid lip service "Of course, everyone loves Madonna, but this is MESSAGE music, 'you're on the right track, baby, you're born this way.' " WELL OKAY THEN. (As if "Express Yourself" was NOT message music?!) And she also had a "Freudian slip" -- calling it "Bland" Ambition, but quickly catching herself and correctly saying Blond. It was all just very transparent.

Then came the Leno interview. And the stone-cold silence from M's camp about it for days.

(The Whitney Houston mention came during her acceptance speech at the Grammys that night, I thought.)

DJ Whiteshadow made the "guess someone didn't take her old lady meds" and other nasty unrepeatables on Twitter after Madonna's "reductive" comment heard 'round the world. He was asked about it on video by Keith Caulfield, and he back-pedaled a bit but not much.

Sorry for copying'n'pasting -- I know you can all check wikipedia for yourselves -- but this is what wikipedia has to say under the critical reception for the song (in particular the paragraphs devoted to commenting on Madonna's influences):

Many critics noted similarities between "Born This Way" and Madonna's 1989 song, "Express Yourself". Popjustice website pointed out the influence of other Madonna songs like "Deeper and Deeper" (1992) and "Vogue" (1990).[48] Rob Sheffield of Rolling Stone acknowledged the influences of Madonna but pointed out that they would not overshadow the song, as it "[summed] up all the complex Gaga mythos, all her politics and Catholic angst and smeared lipstick, in one brilliant pop blast."[49] Caryn Ganz, while writing for Yahoo! Music, criticized "Born This Way", stating that the song was "overworked, overwrought, noisy, cheesy, and very, very derivative." She specifically noted the similarities to songs like "When Love Takes Over" (2010), "Waterfalls" (1995), and three of Madonna's songs: "Express Yourself", "Ray of Light" (1998), and "Vogue".[50] Megan Friedman from Time and Marissa Moss from The Huffington Post summarized their reaction as "mixed", due to the similarities they found with "Express Yourself".[26][51] Neil McCormick of The Daily Telegraph noted that the imitative nature of the song would affect perceptions of Gaga's artistry, since "Born This Way" was "[basically] a reworking of Madonna's 'Express Yourself' with a touch of 'Vogue', which is a bit too much Madonna for someone who is trying to establish her own identity as the, er, new Madonna."[52]

"I certainly think [Gaga] references me a lot in her work," Madonna said in the ABC interview. "And sometimes I think it's amusing and flattering and well-done. When I heard ['Born This Way'] on the radio … I said, 'that sounds very familiar." [53]

Ann Powers of the Los Angeles Times concluded that "Born This Way" had an entirely different message from the Madonna songs it was being compared to and further defended it by saying, "Whether its sound comes too close to one or another Madonna song seems beside the point; what current pop hit doesn't go green by recycling something familiar?"[54].Gaga herself addressed the comparisons on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, explaining that she had received an e-mail from Madonna's representatives, who had mentioned their support for "Born This Way". If the Queen says it shall be, then it shall be," she added.[55] CNN later reported that Madonna's representatives were not aware that the singer, or her team, had sent Gaga an e-mail regarding the situation.[56] Two months later, while getting interviewed by NME magazine, Gaga further addressed the comparisons to "Express Yourself":

"Why would I try to put out a song and think I'm getting one over everybody? That's retarded. I will look in your eyes and tell you that I'm not dumb enough or moronic enough to think that you are dumb or moronic enough not to see that I would have stolen a melody. If you put the songs next to each other, side by side, the only similarities are the
chord progression
. It's the same one that has been in disco music for the last 50 years. Just because I'm the first fucking artist in 25 years to think of putting it on Top 40 radio, it doesn't mean I'm a plagiarist, it means I'm fucking smart. Sorry."
[57]

When interviewed by ABC News in 2012, Madonna was asked about the similarities between "Born This Way" and "Express Yourself", stating: "When I heard ['Born This Way'] on the radio ... I said, 'that sounds very familiar' ... It felt reductive." She also came to report to The Newsweek Daily Beast Company what she had in mind when she heard "Born This Way": "I thought, 'What a wonderful way to redo my song'. I mean, I recognised the chord changes. I thought it was… interesting."[58]

Liz Rosernberg is so full of it. Of course she knows the truth behind it all, she's like Madonna's mother practically.

Pure speculation but I do think something may have happened behind the scenes that we don't know about. Madonna's attitude toward Gaga seemed to change from Alejandro onward. I suspect alot of it is to do with the way Gaga a) started blantantly copying Madonna from that video onward and b) has been working with EVERYONE Madonna has worked with from JPG, to Akerland and now that Tracy Anderson whom Madonna ditched afew years back. I really think there's abit of a catty war going between them with words going back and fourth between co-workers. I mean seems abit suss Madonna had a falling out with Tracy Anderson and now Gaga is training with her. Next Gaga will be hanging out with Guy Ritchie or Rupert Everett.

:laugh: She's already supposedly hanging out w M's ex-bff, Gwyneth Paltrow. Since Tracy is close to Gwyneth, I guess that makes sense. Kind of interesting that both were previously very close to M & are now catty toward her, & now they're supposedly "close" to LG. She also had Tony (M's dresser) work with her on her previous tour (he's on the MDNAT instead of the BTWB now) and got Steven Klein (M's right-hand gay/bff), plus some other people from SST worked on one of her last videos. It's like she's going through lists of people M has worked with :laugh: She went after Momma Makeup & other people too. I just think it's kind of weird that not only she goes after people that have been associated with or worked with M, but has tried to recreate things M has done w them (like the JPG spanking pics & the BAT look with Momma Makeup).

I wouldn't be surprised if probably something must've happened for M to change how she talked about LG & viewed her. I mean, there was a while where M was inviting LG to private parties & things like that, so she was probably fond of her. She only had nice things to say about LG up until recently. Klein worked on Alejandro, I wonder what LG told him (if anything) & if he told M. I thought maybe Klein was out of the picture because M started working w Mert & Marcus a lot after the leaks, but he was seen with M right before the tour started so I guess they're still close (though he worked on a commercial w LG & some projection thing for her current tour). The way LG sometimes talks about him it's as if he's her bff too, or maybe that's just her usual fake kissing up. LOL. :popcorn2: Wasn't M asked about LG being obsessed with her & M said she wasn't sure whether it was genuine or not during the Venice interviews? That was after the BTW drama & the email incident.

http://pawsdownlittl...57423/semiotics

tumblr_m4yb8dUEON1r8n7f7o1_500.jpg

Semiotics

Little monsters probably never even heard the word “semiotics” in their lives - much less do they know its meaning.

But let’s take a look at something very few people noticed last night:

The moment MADONNA starts singing BTW, the video behind her shows little monsters eating canned food.

Brilliant!

But that’s not all.

The labels in those cans are David Bowie’s iconic lighting bolt and Madonna’s iconic conical bra and ponytail.

BRILLIANT!

Meaning: Little monsters are being fed mass-produced canned food with contents that come from Bowie to Madonna. Now think of Imitation crab meat.

These very few seconds have more meaning than the entire BTW Ball.

Madonna, always brilliant. As usual, you’ve got to keep your eyes opened to see the myriad of content a Madonna show has.

I can imagine little monsters googling the word “semiotics” now

Edited by Msig

http://pawsdownlittl...57423/semiotics

tumblr_m4yb8dUEON1r8n7f7o1_500.jpg

Semiotics

Little monsters probably never even heard the word “semiotics” in their lives - much less do they know its meaning.

But let’s take a look at something very few people noticed last night:

The moment MADONNA starts singing BTW, the video behind her shows little monsters eating canned food.

Brilliant!

But that’s not all.

The labels in those cans are David Bowie’s iconic lighting bolt and Madonna’s iconic conical bra and ponytail.

BRILLIANT!

Meaning: Little monsters are being fed mass-produced canned food with contents that come from Bowie to Madonna. Now think of Imitation crab meat.

These very few seconds have more meaning than the entire BTW Ball.

Madonna, always brilliant. As usual, you’ve got to keep your eyes opened to see the myriad of content a Madonna show has.

I can imagine little monsters googling the word “semiotics” now

It's completely obvious. Madonna has every right to make a statement on it and she's done so perfectly. Succinct, to the point and great to watch! I know the Gaga fans are feeling shit because they can't pretend that it isn't happening now. I've been saying it for four or five years. The world is finally catching up. :queenbitch: