Am I the only one who loves 'Best friend'?

karbatal

I've read some threads and 'Best friend' is not getting the love it deserves! I love the song, how it grows, the lyrics... The only thing i don't like is Madonna's voice, it's too robotic and filtered. If this song had been recorded like Falling Free it would be one of her best ballads ever.

The way you put it, I can see it being good. Unfortunately, that sounds like a complete makeover - the production doesn't work for the song too well (although it's a great production) and indeed her voice is just terrible. It might be interesting to hear a demo or earlier recording of it.

Other than that, I have to say that I don't listen to it much. Love the ending.

Yes! It was my instant favorite on the album after "Girl Gone Wild" and "Gang Bang". I love it!

Edited by tomwiggz

I live for it specially the chorus..classic Madonna..I even like the minimallistic production..I wish the track list would have been better it would have worked well within the context of the album

• 2 weeks later...

11.) The annoyingly amplified drum machine and intermitent electronic beeps ruin what could've been a very passionate ballad. If the instrumentation consisted of spanish guitar, keyboards, synths and violins prominently, Best Friend would be standing proud with the likes of You'll See, Love Don't Live Here Anymore or The Power Of Goodbye. Does this happen when club remixers attempt at down-tempo numbers? Madonna's chorus vocals remind you of her singing back in the early days when her attacks were raw and unabashed. The blending of voices from 2:20 onwards ("I lost my very best friend. Not gonna candy coat it and I don't want to pretend...") put in mind how she did it then in Bad Girl. The stumble in production notwithstanding, this is very tasteful. I'll be desperate for a trip-hop mix of this track!

This very much describes my feelings about the song. The composition as such isn't bad, but the production kills it.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Not4Pussies

it could be, but i think it's mostly about Guy.

she refers to Guy as her best friend often.

listen to Incredible. very telling.

i still think I Fucked Up could be about Guy but it's probably mostly about Jesus Luz

Its not main track material (Like Beautiful Killer) but I like it.

For whatever reason when I sing it I switch up the lyrics and say..

"I miss your brain, the way you think.

But I don't miss the way you used to stink."

• 3 weeks later...

The lyrics are what make the song

and your quote is wrong

it's 'But I dont miss the way you used to drink..'

Guest bluejean

:lmao: Hilarious.

I don't get the hype about Beautiful Killer, I much much prefer Best Friend.

I don't mind it, there are parts that i definately dig, but thrn there is something there musically that bothers me, i guess i realised even more live as an interlude, it is the toilet break moment 4 sure, the only one for me

:lmao: Hilarious.

I don't get the hype about Beautiful Killer, I much much prefer Best Friend.

There's a hype for Beautiful Killer?

I think Beautiful Killer is OK, nothing to be hyped about though, but it is a safe 'madonna sounding' song which is pleasant to the ear. Much better than the dreadful 'B-day song', 'Im a Sinner', 'Some Girls' and 'Superstar'.

But Best Friend is just flawless, the lyrics seem really honest which is a rarity in Madonna songs, I can see why some people might dislike the production, maybe a stringed ballad type alternate version could have helped for them to see the genius of Best Friend.

No I like 'Best Friend' and esp the interlude mixed w/ 'Heartbeat.' I like that a lot, it's very pretty. Want a (good) studio version PRONTO

• 6 months later...