Am I the only one who loves 'Best friend'?

karbatal

I've read some threads and 'Best friend' is not getting the love it deserves! I love the song, how it grows, the lyrics... The only thing i don't like is Madonna's voice, it's too robotic and filtered. If this song had been recorded like Falling Free it would be one of her best ballads ever.

I love it too. Love the way she's belting out

Still I have no regrets

Cause I survived all the biggest test

I cannot lie and I won't pretend

But I feel like I lost my very best friend (around the 1:40 mark)

That part sounds very old school Madonna imo. :inlove:

My only complaint would be the early 2000s sounding production

I don't get the absolute hate for it really. Not perfect but a good album song and very good reflection of her relationship with Guy. People only seem to concentrate on the angry ones

I didn't like it the first 3 listens. I felt it was too Hard Candy and then somehow it grew on me and now I love it! :wow:

And it does end the album perfectly. its so sad that it had to end

I don't hate it either. In fact, I absolutely love the main chorus:

"Still/And Yet... I have no regrets

Cause I survived the biggest test

But I feel like I lost my very best friend"

I just don't really like the over all production of the song.

I don't hate it either. In fact, I absolutely love the main chorus:

"Still/And Yet... I have no regrets

Cause I survived the biggest test

But I feel like I lost my very best friend"

I just don't really like the over all production of the song.

Her worst reused lyrics ever, I hate this song.

The production is a little grating for me, however the lyrical content is pretty good and I enjoy this much more than say "Bday Song."

The production is a little grating for me, however the lyrical content is pretty good and I enjoy this much more than say "Bday Song."

Yes, that's how I feel. I do think several great songs have been marred by bad production over the last fifteen years.

I like this song a lot. I've been surprised by all the hate for it as well. I think it's better than I Fucked Up, which I don't like at all. I just don't think the lyrics flow very well. On Best Friend, I love her vocals. It sounds very classic Madonna. The song could have been on Bedtime Stories.

I love this song, never had a problem with it. Only track on MDNA I dislike is I fucked Up and Superstar just draaaags.

11.) The annoyingly amplified drum machine and intermitent electronic beeps ruin what could've been a very passionate ballad. If the instrumentation consisted of spanish guitar, keyboards, synths and violins prominently, Best Friend would be standing proud with the likes of You'll See, Love Don't Live Here Anymore or The Power Of Goodbye. Does this happen when club remixers attempt at down-tempo numbers? Madonna's chorus vocals remind you of her singing back in the early days when her attacks were raw and unabashed. The blending of voices from 2:20 onwards ("I lost my very best friend. Not gonna candy coat it and I don't want to pretend...") put in mind how she did it then in Bad Girl. The stumble in production notwithstanding, this is very tasteful. I'll be desperate for a trip-hop mix of this track!

Vocals: 2, Production: 1, Lyrics: 2, Chorus Strength: 2, Mainstream Appeal: 2 = (9/10)

other tracks on http://mymonumentalicons.blogspot.com/2012/05/madonna-mdna-album-performance-review.html