Will the MDNA Tour outgross Sticky and Sweet?

Apples388

I think they are taking the current economy in2 account + it's a stock owned company so when all is said and doe the press release will read that it was

'wildly successful taking in far more than expected' which is always good spin on things...

I'm sure the $350 million number included Live Nation's expectations for Australia. It's really easy to estimate a tour's gross even before it begins. It's not as large as Sticky's total, but it's still a huge number.

The don't even included South America o.o

True.

Plus, my insider from FLASH Entertainment in the UAE tells me Madonna is thus far the only act they've ever had to actually have 2 shows in Abu Dhabi rather than just the one. And that even though the 2nd date is not sold out yet they are selling well and will probably sell out soon.

Guest jamesshot

The CEO of Live Nation already said it will end up grossing $350 million.

Sticky grossed $408m.

If I remember correctly, estimates for SST kept changing as well. Even when they had a good estimate of the number of dates. So it is entirely possible they don't want to overestimate the gross for fear of the Roger Friedman's of the world would classify it as underperforming.

She is going to end up playing more dates than SST with higher ticket prices so I don't understand how she could make less $$$$.

If I remember correctly, estimates for SST kept changing as well. Even when they had a good estimate of the number of dates. So it is entirely possible they don't want to overestimate the gross for fear of the Roger Friedman's of the world would classify it as underperforming.

She is going to end up playing more dates than SST with higher ticket prices so I don't understand how she could make less $$$$.

She had several massive shows in 2008 & 2009 though that were 60k+. It seems on the MDNA Tour she has one in Canada (65k?) & one in Rio (supposedly 90k if tickets sell out)? It seems that several stadiums this time have sold/have a ticket availability in the 40k range (or low 50k range). She's also doing more US dates & almost all of them are arenas (save for Yankee Stadium), whereas last time she had several stadiums (LA, Detroit, San Diego, Miami, Houston?). I just hope that she at least matches the $342m that Arthur Fogel projected (I hope he was being conservative & not over-blowing S Am & Oz expectations) & that perhaps Australia does better than expected & they add at least some shows in Japan. I'm not sure how she would do in S Korea, Philippines, Hong Kong & elsewhere, especially the places where Gaga couldn't sell out (esp if M's prices are higher).

perhaps Australia does better than expected & they add at least some shows in Japan. I'm not sure how she would do in S Korea, Philippines, Hong Kong & elsewhere, especially the places where Gaga couldn't sell out (esp if M's prices are higher).

Gaga's top ticket price in Manila is $350, lowest is around $45... sold out two shows (today and tomorrow) with 16,000 capacity per show...

if MADONNA goes to places she's never been before, oie, you can bet, people will pay top dollar just to see her...

Gaga's top ticket price in Manila is $350, lowest is around $45... sold out two shows (today and tomorrow) with 16,000 capacity per show...

if MADONNA goes to places she's never been before, oie, you can bet, people will pay top dollar just to see her...

her second show is only half sold out.. (*awaits gsm to jump on me*)

Here's the recent Gaga boxscore of the MBT from Japan

1 Lady Gaga, Zedd Saitama Super Arena

Saitama, Japan

May 10, 12-13, 2012

$18,339,701

96,550 /

3 /

$312.75, $112.59

Live Nation Global Touring/Creativeman

Japan is a HUGE market.

Madonna will be very stupid if she'll skip it for the second time in a row :thumbsdown:

Edited by Her Madgesty

I think there is a pattern. With each tour she is grossing more. And it will all end with the inevitable billion dollar farewell tour 2016 - 2018

:thumbsup:

DWT 2001 - 3 months - $75m

RIT 2004 - 3 and a half months - $125m

CT 2006 - 4 months - $195m

S&S 2008/2009 - 6 months - $408m

Now THAT's a hell of a pattern.

If she did 12-month plus tours ala Rolling Stones, U2 etc she'd eat them all for breakfast.

Even if in the end there shouldn't be the rumoured long overdue Australasian leg in 2013 she could still very well outgross the previous tour, unlike somebody was guessing here, since we have to take into account that ticket prices are higher on average everywhere and she's playing way more outdoor gigs (I mean 2 NY stadium shows and then a third NY gig at MSG?). She was granted that Quebec open air venue (a first-time the artist is given the grounds and allowed to charge people for the performance, and she sold 70k tickets for that so far).

I also believe that figure LN gave over a month ago is a cautionary figure, lower than the real one (just in case)

Plus this time around she's doing more US dates (can you believe she's doing DWT total number of dates just throughout the US!) Of course she'll get there regardless. Actually with an Australasian leg she could instead achieve even more than just outgrossing S&S

i.e.#1 ALL TIME

I don't think most people and worse most fans realise the genius of a live performer selling so well 2 months before the new material is even out ... from somebody who tours regularly every 2-3 years and who's been playing at the very top for 30 years. That shouldn't be taken for granted. That's just brilliant.

She's the only woman within the music industry (or any industry) who's achieved so much and then you get people having a fit because Donna Summer wasn't inducted and Madonna instead was ... (Not that the induction per se means something anyway).

Of course that would be over 100 dates and I am not sure she has the patience for that size of a tour. Of course, with the abject commercial failure of W.E., I am not sure what she has going on after the tour. Is she really going to invest that much time in another film only to have it lose money?

I think she's going to be busy with another film project between the end of this tour and the next album/tour venture. Of course it will be on a much smaller scale compared to W.E . . . I doubt that she's going to spend anywhere close to $20m of her own money on something it's not likely to see some financial return. $500m a year or not.

But it will be a good thing that she'll explore more film-making wise. They are all side projects that in a way or another end up contributing to her music career. Her film career instead will be vastly revalued when she's gone (except BOE and TNBT, those are just bad).

W.E. for a first time full-length feature film from a *newcomer* isn't the mess some part of the press was so keen to portray as

I think she's going to be busy with another film project between the end of this tour and the next album/tour venture. Of course it will be on a much smaller scale compared to W.E . . . I doubt that she's going to spend anywhere close to $20m of her own money on something it's not likely to see some financial return. $500m a year or not.

But it will be a good thing that she'll explore more film-making wise. They are all side projects that in a way or another end up contributing to her music career. Her film career instead will be vastly revalued when she's gone (except BOE and TNBT, those are just bad).

W.E. for a first time full-length feature film from a *newcomer* isn't the mess some part of the press was so keen to portray as

I know, GOD, I'm always going to bitter about that. I felt like I was on another dimension. It was just unreal bulllshit, but whatever, I bought my bundle copy.

She better milk her duds for all they're worth this round.

AUSTRALIAN LEG.

ASIAN LEG.

ANTARCTICAN LEG.

coming spring 2013. :wow:

She better milk her duds for all they're worth this round.

AUSTRALIAN LEG.

ASIAN LEG.

ANTARCTICAN LEG.

coming spring 2013. :wow:

I'm sorry, but when I see your name + LEG, I still have some good reactions in my body. :drool:

Are all of the shows sold out? It may be a stupid question, but I am just wondering how the tour is doing...

No. But I believe it's doing very well.

Guest jamesshot

Are all of the shows sold out? It may be a stupid question, but I am just wondering how the tour is doing...

No, they aren't. But only 30,000 tix left for the US dates as reported a few weeks ago. Not bad for really high prices, economic uncertainty, her touring frequency, her lack of a new hit song and such. And the US is doing much better than Europe as far as the economy yet she is doing just fine there. Everyone expects Madonna to instantly sell out her shows but that is just an extremely unrealistic expectation given all the above I mentioned and virtually nobody can do that anyway. She is on target to, likely, sell out all shows.