William Orbit's Thoughts on MDNA

karbatal

This lame ass conversation (seriously, I can't believe we're still talking about this 30 years into her career) reminds me of that awesome interview with Sigsworth, Joe Henry, Madonna and Mirwais discussing their COLLABORATION aka Music on KCRW back in the day. Madonna starts off by saying something like "I really want to talk about the music, not about how much my baby weighs or that nonsense."

I'm sure if people actually asked her about the music, about the process, how it all comes together, we wouldn't be having this conversation. Instead everyone asks her and talks about her hands, her cheeks, her sex life and Lady Gaga.

Madonna isn't some genius musician and that's not why any of us like her. She has vision and the bitch knows exactly what she wants. That's why most of her producers create magic with her and mediocre shit without her.

Guest Not4Pussies

This lame ass conversation (seriously, I can't believe we're still talking about this 30 years into her career) reminds me of that awesome interview with Sigsworth, Joe Henry, Madonna and Mirwais discussing their COLLABORATION aka Music on KCRW back in the day. Madonna starts off by saying something like "I really want to talk about the music, not about how much my baby weighs or that nonsense."

I'm sure if people actually asked her about the music, about the process, how it all comes together, we wouldn't be having this conversation. Instead everyone asks her and talks about her hands, her cheeks, her sex life and Lady Gaga.

Madonna isn't some genius musician and that's not why any of us like her. She has vision and the bitch knows exactly what she wants. That's why most of her producers create magic with her and mediocre shit without her.

word!

very true. just look at that radio interview she did with that guy who is a Madonna fan for MDNA. he asked her about the music. you could clearly hear her being into the topic and answering the questions with depth and ease.

is there anywhere I can hear that Music interview?

Guest Not4Pussies

Wow thank you so much Raulito.

I'm still going to eat your pussy.

not before i beat you to it Miguelito.

I've actually met the handsomeness. :inlove:

Guest Not4Pussies

Here you go sir http://www.kcrw.com/music/programs/gz/gz001007madonna_and_the_maki?searchterm=madonna+mirwais

Could you please send me the interview you're talking about? :D

here you go: http://www.madonnarama.com/posts-en/2012/03/19/madonna-interview-by-larry-flick-sirius/

you may have listened to it already.

and thanx. you need to come to LA soon. me quiero tomar unos tequilas contigo mientras escuchamos a Chavela Vargas.

Guest Not4Pussies

Whatever whore! I'll stick my toe in yours.

nothing goes up my ass, but for you maybe...

Here you go sir http://www.kcrw.com/music/programs/gz/gz001007madonna_and_the_maki?searchterm=madonna+mirwais

Could you please send me the interview you're talking about? :D

Oh, thanks for that! I think maybe I listened to this online a long while ago ... love hearing it again, though!

I think maybe Isaac was referring to the Larry Flick interview?

Here's a link to Madonna's interview:

And also to William Orbit's MDNA interview with Flick:

I love how gushing Orbit is talking about Madonna here... and I don't think that's changed. He clearly loves the artist and musician that she is, even if he is questioning the business sense of the machine around her at the moment. It's possible he'll change his mind again after the tour is finished at the end of 2013. :wink: (I also have to wonder -- why isn't he busy with tour rehearsals right now? In the past, he was involved in DWT, Mirwais was involved in RIT, etc. I'm surprised if he wasn't engaged as a consultant during any part of the early band/music rehearsals.)

Guest Not4Pussies

Oh! You beat me to that by just a minute there... haha! Glad I guessed correctly, though.

haha, yeah. thanx though.

haha, yeah. thanx though.

Oh, you're welcome ... The William Orbit interview is honestly worth a listen for anyone who hasn't yet -- especially appropriate in this thread. I think I quoted it in another thread (in the general section) -- he just goes on and on about how unique her voice is in technical terms. So nice to hear him play knight to the Queen.

Thanks señoritas!

I actually heard the Orbit interview a few days ago. Doesn't he say that he and Madonna just sat around for a while playing guitars and that's how some of the songs from MDNA were born?

Thanks señoritas!

I actually heard the Orbit interview a few days ago. Doesn't he say that he and Madonna just sat around for a while playing guitars and that's how some of the songs from MDNA were born?

Well, he explained that each song was deconstructed on guitar and adjusted to fit her vocal strengths.

He also said she "creates arcs of melody" and connects the dots in different ways because she "sees what nobody else can see." And, in discussing "Gang Bang," he noted her nearly one-take recording of it *AND* writing of it "top to tail." Now, I know we have heard "Bang Bang Boom" and we know of Priscilla and Mika's contribution to that demo/song, but we don't know Madonna didn't write a lot of the lyrics that ended up in the final "Gang Bang," either. It could have been the melody of the original that was very Mika/Priscilla (and, well, tbh, you can hear that -- we don't know who originated which lyrics, because that's less obvious). So it was a little odd to hear him say she "wrote" Gang Bang on the fly "top to tail" but that's what he said, so... Ha! Take that!

He also said at the end of the interview that he was pressed for time on this project, that there wasn't enough time "because of her commitments, but what are you gonna do?" So, that's also been fairly consistent. He's praised her musicianship, but lamented the lack of time.

OK, I haven´t read all the answers here, and i don´t even know what happened exactly, but I know a few things:

A- if you respect/love/like a person, you don´t write a coment like that on facebook, he should have told her personally.

B-The album is marvellous

C-some songs are...Kylie circa "Rythm of love", you can see what was meant to happen with the songs, but they lack of something (GGW for example, it´s a good but not great song, not a good enough lead single

D-What is the real involvement of madonna in her music? because this makes her look like an artist that simply changes a little bit the melody or the lyrics and that´s it

E-is the album rushed? I don´t think so.In fact, WO wasn´t thinking that when it was released two months ago.some songs, I think, are meant to sound as they sound, like Birdthay song: it´s not meant to be a super production

F-Chris brown??? that really hurt!

G-Yes, the promotion and everything around the album was/is rushed.She seemed without interest on the project.She always lefts the music to one side when it´s about promotion, and wastes her time with all the stupid things she likes to do in her spare time.of course, she likes them, so it´s not a problem for me if she has hobbies, good for her, but her main JOB is the music.Or should be the music, not the colognes or smirnoff...

H-I hope they´ll fix everything

• 2 weeks later...

Heard that song Orbit gave to Chris Brown which was meant to be so amazing and the best songs from the MDNA sessions or whatever he said. The song is utter shit. Chris Brownturd can keep it.

thend :)

Heard that song Orbit gave to Chris Brown which was meant to be so amazing and the best songs from the MDNA sessions or whatever he said. The song is utter shit. Chris Brownturd can keep it.

thend :)

My thoughts exactly. I can't even believe he said it. I think William is just butt hurt.