William Orbit's Thoughts on MDNA

karbatal

If it was up to die hard fans, they would pick songs "I'm Addicted" and/or "Gang Bang" as singles, but in truth, they wouldn't connect well with the general population and that's what singles are supposed to do.

You don't know that. GMAYL connected with almost nobody. The fact that pretty much everyone has praised GB and named it one of the highlights on the album says a lot. People (non-fans included) like GB more than GMAYL, let's not kid ourselves.

You don't know that. GMAYL connected with almost nobody. The fact that pretty much everyone has praised GB and named it one of the highlights on the album says a lot. People (non-fans included) like GB more than GMAYL, let's not kid ourselves.

Funny you say that. You're right "let's not kid ourselves". You're basing "everyone" praising GB on whom? Critics and fans? Because those are the people mostly praising it. And please spare me the nonsense... "I played it for my friend (or whomever) and they love it". That very well may be true, but I'm sure that "friend" or whomever aren't really into Top 40 music or what's on the radio either. Mark my words, GB will not resonate with the general public. In fact, many will go "What the fuck?" It's too gritty and violent. It isn't Madonna usual style. Radio won't touch it. "Let's not kid ourselves!"

has a cult following within the base and outside of the base for serious music lovers.

One of the most delusional statements you've EVER made and that's saying a lot :rotfl: No one - and I mean no one remembers that album. It's practically been wiped clean from her resume. Perhaps when she's dead it'll get a mention for being the album that put a dent into her pop culture relevance. Beyond that, no one gives a shit about it. The only people who do are - BIG SURPRISE - us.

]Hope the next album has no commercial aspirations at all: it'll turn out to be the album everyone truly wanted. Not this—late Janet Jackson phase of her recording career.

To qualify as late Janet Jackson-esque, it has to:

1) Be completely and totally slapped together without regard for her fans (MDNA qualifies as at least a solid enough album has her last two - funny how some ppl all of a sudden think Hard Candy is a masterpiece)

2) Be delusional in it's assumption that more= better (MDNA's standard edition has a tight tracklisting)

3) Be detached from reality - so much so that songs featuring blowjob sounds and whispers instead of actual melodies make the cut simply becasue said artist thinks it is "baby making music" (thank god Madonna has never done this)

4) Be offensive in its lack of imagination sonically not to mention visually (Pray tell, how is it that Madonna can manage at 54 to still have such an imagination and skill and yet you compare her to fucking Janet Jackson who never even had one?)

And perhaps you should stop generalizing Madonna fans - most of us love this album. You're sitting this one out, the same way you're the only person with your ass planted on the tumbleweed-infested American Life bench.

The only thing Janet's heinous albums share in common with MDNA is that they feature some very overly commercial cuts meant to snag an audience - and in both cases, the songs simply aren't that compelling. Madonna has released 2 songs that fit the bill (4 Minutes, GMAYL, though I enjoy both). Meanwhile Janet has released, I dunno, a dozen of horrible singles since 2001? That's where it starts and that's where it ends. If you wanna make comparisons, try to make them make sense. And don't embarrass me by saying Gang Bang sounds like Son of A Gun.

PS. Why was it only 24 hours? THANKS A LOT SUEDEY *BABY JESUS CRIES*

No offense but it's rare I've seen you happy with anything she does that wasn't 20 years ago. Nothing wrong with that...just sayin....I doubt she'll knock your socks off ever again the way she used to.

Wrong!! I love and adore the entire Confessions era. Give It 2 Me is in my top 10 Madonna songs. I rather enjoyed American Life and Re-Invention. I could go on and on. Plenty of fans have seen a decline in Madonna inparitcular in the last few years which IMO has slid down hill more rapidly due to bad management. Your post is a perfect example of how people always remember the negative rather than the positive :)

Funny you say that. You're right "let's not kid ourselves". You're basing "everyone" praising GB on whom? Critics and fans? Because those are the people mostly praising it. And please spare me the nonsense... "I played it for my friend (or whomever) and they love it". That very well may be true, but I'm sure that "friend" or whomever aren't really into Top 40 music or what's on the radio either. Mark my words, GB will not resonate with the general public. In fact, many will go "What the fuck?" It's too gritty and violent. It isn't Madonna usual style. Radio won't touch it. "Let's not kid ourselves!"

Radio won't touch it because of its lyrics. But how do you explain the fact that radio barely touched GMAYL? Do you think that song resonated with the audience? If it had, the radio would have gladly played it and it would have sold millions after SB. It didn't. Yes, LET'S NOT KID OURSELVES, GMAYL is one of her weakest songs/singles.

You're basing "everyone" praising GB on whom? Critics and fans? Because those are the people mostly praising it.

Well yes. And since critics aren't necessarily fans, the fact that they unanimously appreciated it is telling.

Wrong!! I love and adore the entire Confessions era. Give It 2 Me is in my top 10 Madonna songs. I rather enjoyed American Life and Re-Invention. I could go on and on. Plenty of fans have seen a decline in Madonna inparitcular in the last few years which IMO has slid down hill more rapidly due to bad management. Your post is a perfect example of how people always remember the negative rather than the positive :)

Why were you so polite in this thread yet downright nasty and insulting when you responded to a similar comment that I made in another thread? Kurt and I certainly aren't the only ones to have noticed your constant negativity, Mad_On_Her. You're renowned for it. Perhaps if you made more positive comments, people would remember them a bit more easily...

Radio won't touch it because of its lyrics. But how do you explain the fact that radio barely touched GMAYL? Do you think that song resonated with the audience? If it had, the radio would have gladly played it and it would have sold millions after SB. It didn't. Yes, LET'S NOT KID OURSELVES, GMAYL is one of her weakest songs/singles.

Well yes. And since critics aren't necessarily fans, the fact that they unanimously appreciated it is telling.

Wait, I am not talking about GMAYL. I'm talking about Gang Bang as a "radio song/single". Those are two totally different type of songs. In fact, GMAYL did get radio exposure. That's how it reached #10. I'm not debating what is or isn't the weakest songs/singles. I'm discussing the fact that radio won't touch Gang Bang. It has nothing to do if I think the song is weak or not. I think Gang Bang is far superior than GMAYL, but that still doesn't mean the song will work on radio and resonate with the general masses. As stated before, the purpose of a single is to appeal to the general masses. This is why most successful entertainers, pick "radio friendly songs". And yes, GMAYL and GIRL GONE WILD are typical radio song.

But if you want to debate why GMAYL (and GGW) isn't being successful on radio... "Let's not kid ourselves"... top 40 radio is geared to a younger audience. Madonna doesn't fit into that audience anymore.

High praise from "critics" doesn't automatically assume the song would be great as a "single" or on "radio". It just means; it's an overwhelming great album song that is highly appreciated. In fact, I do recall reading reviews of the album where a lot of praise went to Gang Bang, but it never was mentioned it would work as a single or on radio.

Let's not kid ourselves none of the songs of this album are gonna be played on the radio, but Gang Bang could have a great video if effort is put into it.

Why were you so polite in this thread yet downright nasty and insulting when you responded to a similar comment that I made in another thread? Kurt and I certainly aren't the only ones to have noticed your constant negativity, Mad_On_Her. You're renowned for it. Perhaps if you made more positive comments, people would remember them a bit more easily...

Carta, my posts arent all negative. Why on earth would I be here if I hated Madonna's guts??? Im honest, theres plenty more that I love than I hate. It frustrates that you inparticular everytime I say something negative pounce on me. To say Im constantly negative is ridiculous as I said in my post you pay more attention to the negative than the positive and thats your problem

One of my friends who listen to a lot of indie listened to MDNA. She said GMAYL was one that stood out :lol:

Ha ha. I think it does but possibly not for good reasons! I actually have really grown to like it but I don't like the instant opening when it launches straight into the song. It needs a longer intro that builds.

Carta, my posts arent all negative. Why on earth would I be here if I hated Madonna's guts??? Im honest, theres plenty more that I love than I hate. It frustrates that you inparticular everytime I say something negative pounce on me. To say Im constantly negative is ridiculous as I said in my post you pay more attention to the negative than the positive and thats your problem

That still doesn't explain why you were downright rude to me, but answered someone else reasonably (Kurt pointed out that you always seem to be negative). I'm glad that there's plenty that you like, but most of it seems to be her older work (Confessions/AL aside). That's fine, but given that most topics/discussions in here centre around her recent work (which you don't like - and again, that's fine!), it's fairly logical that most of your comments are going to come across as negative. I'm sorry for offending you. I still don't believe that I deserved to be called a "moron" or "brainless", though.

William:

To those that are wondering what's going on with my recent MDNA comments. and to set the record straight, once and for all, here's what happened:

I commented on an existing comment thread here on this facebook forum a week or so back. Many of you will recall. And even though there has been interest on this site to read and respond to these opinions, I really should have held back. I made the mistake of putting my thoughts online, when an email would have been more appropriate.

But, there were no 'interviews' (Huffington Post, Daily Mail etc) as has been reported elsewhere. I've not personally seen any of these 'interviews' but can only assume that the content has been cut-and-pasted from the original post then presented as a scoop.

That same day, and on receiving a dismayed email from Guy O, I followed up with a candid and much more to-the-point email back to him. Including a couple of other things that had been troubling me. It was just between us, and not public. As it should be.

I acknowledge that I erred in putting some of my concerns into the public sphere. No ifs and buts. I ought to know by now that even in a remote corner of the internet, if it mentions Madonna, it will be all over the place in seconds.

It's certainly now all off my chest. The (unintended) consequence of all this is that it has stirred up strong opinions right across the spectrum. Some of which require me to swallow hard and take it on the chin. But what's done is done. What's said is said. Although it might reverberate for a little longer in the web universe, such being the nature of the beast.

From my POV, it's same as before, striving onwards with projects, both musical and non-musical. There is so much to take care of, and never enough hours in the day.

Thank you for reading.

Sincerely,

William

Orbit was stupid in his duality of opinions. First the albums great and it's going to set the world on fire and next it's a troubled project. He said too much and to be honest it didn't need to be said even if true.

William:

To those that are wondering what's going on with my recent MDNA comments. and to set the record straight, once and for all, here's what happened:

I commented on an existing comment thread here on this facebook forum a week or so back. Many of you will recall. And even though there has been interest on this site to read and respond to these opinions, I really should have held back. I made the mistake of putting my thoughts online, when an email would have been more appropriate.

But, there were no 'interviews' (Huffington Post, Daily Mail etc) as has been reported elsewhere. I've not personally seen any of these 'interviews' but can only assume that the content has been cut-and-pasted from the original post then presented as a scoop.

That same day, and on receiving a dismayed email from Guy O, I followed up with a candid and much more to-the-point email back to him. Including a couple of other things that had been troubling me. It was just between us, and not public. As it should be.

I acknowledge that I erred in putting some of my concerns into the public sphere. No ifs and buts. I ought to know by now that even in a remote corner of the internet, if it mentions Madonna, it will be all over the place in seconds.

It's certainly now all off my chest. The (unintended) consequence of all this is that it has stirred up strong opinions right across the spectrum. Some of which require me to swallow hard and take it on the chin. But what's done is done. What's said is said. Although it might reverberate for a little longer in the web universe, such being the nature of the beast.

From my POV, it's same as before, striving onwards with projects, both musical and non-musical. There is so much to take care of, and never enough hours in the day.

Thank you for reading.

Sincerely,

William

He shouldn't have to apologize. He wants to work with Madonna again why? Ray of Light and Beautiful Stranger were their peaks together.

He shouldn't have to apologize. He wants to work with Madonna again why? Ray of Light and Beautiful Stranger were their peaks together.

He should have to apologize because what he did was unprofessional and he wasn't to work with Madonna because outside of creating great work together, she's a huge star and anything he does with her will get huge exposure. But there's always Chris Brown and Kreyshawn (however you spell it) I guess.

Considering Madonna worships William, gushed about him during interviews about the album, considers him a close friend, and has given him some of the biggest opportunities of his musical career, it's totally appropriate for him to apologize. It wasn't necessary.

He should have to apologize because what he did was unprofessional and he wasn't to work with Madonna because outside of creating great work together, she's a huge star and anything he does with her will get huge exposure. But there's always Chris Brown and Kreyshawn (however you spell it) I guess.

In Beyoncé threads whenever a producer or songwriter wants to come out against her for her lack of contributes to a hit song you don't go oh they suck for putting her on front street you roll over in laughter because they're shining a light on a fraud but when Madonna gets called out for rushing an album project her collaborator is being unprofessional.

In Beyoncé threads whenever a producer or songwriter wants to come out against her for her lack of contributes to a hit song you don't go oh they suck for putting her on front street you roll over in laughter because they're shining a light on a fraud but when Madonna gets called out for rushing an album project her collaborator is being unprofessional.

Hardly a comparable situation since Madonna a) isn't a fraud and b) didn't exactly deserve William airing out his dirty laundry about the recording process.

I can imagine the call between Beyonce and a producer cheated out of his royalties (if he could ever get through to her)

Producer: So Beyonce, I think you took something that doesn't belong to you and I want it back you thieving skank

Beyonce: *click*

Er I think there's a difference between Beyonce STEALING someone's ROYALTIES and them coming out and saying it and WO being unhappy with the mood during recording. For one, the former is ILLEGAL :manson:

She never stole anyone's money. They were complaining about her being created as co-author of the production and songwriting.

She never stole anyone's money. They were complaining about her being created as co-author of the production and songwriting.

Oh God here we go with the Beyonce stanning again, I preferred you when you thought you were her abandonded red headed stepchild

Hardly a comparable situation since Madonna a) isn't a fraud and b) didn't exactly deserve William airing out his dirty laundry about the recording process.

How many songs has Madonna brought in to producers from scratch? Don't worry, I'll wait. I love Madonna, but she's another co-author (co-producer, co-writer) like all the other females in Pop.

I don't even like this artist but the one thing I know for sure she has over both Madonna and Beyoncé is she writes her own shit from scratch and that's Mariah Carey. Her favor aspect of recording is the songwriting stage.