WTF Happened...? To all or any momentum...

agclef

I'm pleasantly surprised the tour had any effect.. top 100 is not bad cause now catalog albums are included (you know, ones that actually like sell for real). I don't think Lard Candy recharted during SS did it? Not as significant as that anyway. It seems like a measure of how she's more loved in a way. :dramatic:

Lard Candy was still charting on the Top 200 when the first leg of S&S came to the U.S.

S&S kept it charting until the tour left the United States. So, in a sense, the tour kept that album alive a little longer as well.

I bet they don't use "non traditional promo" next time given how they fucked up MDNA

meh, at least this way she wont be oversaturated from too much TELEVISION & MAGAZINES

Yes of course, but for her team to expect the tour to magically skyrocket the album sales is a bit too much right?

Tours can promote albuns in a limited degree but are more likely to succeed in promoting the artist as a performer. They are not usually the main marketing tools for album sales, much less for singles sales.

Much to the dissatisfaction of fans, I think that is what it's about these days. Promoting the Madonna "brand" not so much JUST the album or JUST the perfume etc. If that was their goal then they have indeed had a phenomenal year. I truly think most of us here (including myself) with our wish lists of ways to promote the album etc are a step behind the game.

Lard Candy was still charting on the Top 200 when the first leg of S&S came to the U.S.

S&S kept it charting until the tour left the United States. So, in a sense, the tour kept that album alive a little longer as well.

Same thing happened with COADF too. It hung around and when the tour was done it almost immediately fell off the charts. So the tours do help the albums to at least maintain.

I bet they don't use "non traditional promo" next time given how they fucked up MDNA

The question is, what exactly did they do that was 'non-traditional'? From what I can see, the only difference between this time and previous campaigns was that M couldn't be arsed to do any tv or radio promo. All faith seemed to be put in the tour.

I guess a big part of it was fans might have already d/l the various singles off certain sources thus they are not getting the albums... it kinda puzzles me still why (for. example - shania twain's come on over have good sales VS madonna's ray of light) it seemed like every other week, there are ppl buying her records... and she's a country artist... ???

..But still Oseary has been completely misguided in his promotion, not even servicing remixes to the clubs to build interest..

Yes! This was completely missing this era for the first time ever in her career. wtf. It's always been that remixes were the first thing to come out, now they come out months after the single (has flopped). It's like they're begging ppl to just download. I had cash-in-hand to buy GAYLUV remixes — I was soooo exicited — but none were to be found! All I spent this era was the MDNA CD. I'm gonna buy a T-shirt when she comes to Detroit. That's it. Such a missed opportunity. It's like they didn't want my money, which is fine in the end bc the remixes stunk anyway; not even Nissim could save TUTR.

This new promo is butt.

Sorry I got more to say...

I've actually stopped collecting her physical vinyl remixes (since HC) because they consistently put out the weaker remixes. Bootleg stuff is starting to be much better (Shit I'd have no Gang Bang represented if I waited for anything physical & official). I was bummed for a minute to end a 30-year hobby, but then realized my mp3 collection is much more diverse and more suited to what I want, not any label. If they want to just let free stuff fly all over the place and ignore physical product, well, whatever then I guess. I could care less if M makes another penny in this business or what her placement is on the charts. What's odd is that they don't seem to care either.

Maybe it's because she thinks most ordinary fans are not that interested in remixes. I understand you love remixes, but personally remixes are of no interest to me. I find them rather boring to be honest. I almost always prefer the album version.

Remixes tend to be more marketed to dj's who are buying them to play in their sets not regular fans. Most dj's today don't play cd's anymore, they play things in a digital format on a USB drive.

Maybe it's because she thinks most ordinary fans are not that interested in remixes. I understand you love remixes, but personally remixes are of no interest to me. I find them rather boring to be honest. I almost always prefer the album version.

Remixes tend to be more marketed to dj's who are buying them to play in their sets not regular fans. Most dj's today don't play cd's anymore, they play things in a digital format on a USB drive.

Yes I know a lot of fans don't care about remixes, but there are also ones who do. Her remixes always sold like hotcakes and this was as late as HC era. I don't understand why they're fiddling with something that was never broken. Getting mixes into clubs has always been a key part of promo; her work is geared for that environment. She's been about clubs from the very beginning (Everybody) and to change that for this "new promo" is bizarre. Now, it seems, they just throw a single out there and wait for it to chart. Get the song in clubs, at least, cuz the radio ain't gonna play it.

Get a massive club hit w/ a great remix and the radio is less likely to ignore it. Isn't that how it worked for Cher's 'Believe?" idk I'm not a Cher fan, just sayin'

And true, many of the DJs weren't regular fans. But they were still BUYING.

But weren't the songs serviced to dj's and clubs? Didn't the singles from MDNA still do quite well on the club charts? There are a lot of songs that do great in clubs, but don't ever get played on the radio or cross over to become pop hits. Increasingly it seems the club audience has become separate from the pop radio audience.

But weren't the songs serviced to dj's and clubs? Didn't the singles from MDNA still do quite well on the club charts? There are a lot of songs that do great in clubs, but don't ever get played on the radio or cross over to become pop hits. Increasingly it seems the club audience has become separate from the pop radio audience.

The MDNA remixes weren't sent to clubs before the single were released, certainly not GMAYL. Stuart Price was playing the Hung Up dub mix months before we even knew Madonna had a new single coming out. I remember someone here coming back from a club going on about a track with an Abba sample and the lyric 'time goes by so slowly' sounding like Madonna. The excitement was amazing.

The charts are awash with dance pop/dance music which will have gained exposure in clubs. I really like GMAYL now. I think had they given it time for people to get to know it, it could have done so much better. Same with the other songs although GGW was a bad choice for release anyway.

The recent batch of remixes were all quite samey and generally butchered the original versions with bad electro pop.

The recent batch of remixes were all quite samey and generally butchered the original versions with bad electro pop.

The mixes for MDNA have been atrocious. I don't know who selects the mixing teams. I think she needs to get straightfoward extended versions done these days. MDNA is already dance - there isn't a lot the remixers can do to add more energy or euphoria to the tracks.

I loved the Groove Armada mixes for Music but she has never used them again. I liked the Love Profusion mixes as well. She needs mixers who are clever and not ones that just add lots of bpm.

From Pulse:

Remixer/producer Klimis Ioannidis who has usually been right about industry happenings related to Madonna said today at DJRicoMixshow that "Further promotion on MDNA has ended. Don't expect anything else to come out of this album."

From Pulse:

Remixer/producer Klimis Ioannidis who has usually been right about industry happenings related to Madonna said today at DJRicoMixshow that "Further promotion on MDNA has ended. Don't expect anything else to come out of this album."

I believe that this is sadly true. Our dream Gang Bang video is the stage version played at each show.....

The mixes for MDNA have been atrocious. I don't know who selects the mixing teams. I think she needs to get straightfoward extended versions done these days. MDNA is already dance - there isn't a lot the remixers can do to add more energy or euphoria to the tracks.

I loved the Groove Armada mixes for Music but she has never used them again. I liked the Love Profusion mixes as well. She needs mixers who are clever and not ones that just add lots of bpm.

Thank god I never wasted any time listening then. :fag: Alright so I once played the instantly forgettable "Smirnoff" edition on my iPod :snore: enough to put me off for life!

Yet you are still here...

1299775119_pouring-water-through-nose.gif

So not liking some shitty recent remixes (a common sentiment! did you read the last couple of posts?) is now a crime with the Madonna police?

Listen newbie/alias, the bigger question is why YOU are still here. I mean it's well established that you're basically a useless POS who no one has any respect for, so you don't get to talk to me like that. So realityisabsent, take your witless gifs and crawl back to whatever cesspit you came from, k?

So not liking some shitty recent remixes (a common sentiment! did you read the last couple of posts?) is now a crime with the Madonna police?

Listen newbie/alias, the bigger question is why YOU are still here. I mean it's well established that you're basically a useless POS who no one has any respect for, so you don't get to talk to me like that. So realityisabsent, take your witless gifs and crawl back to whatever cesspit you came from, k?

tumblr_lorx7zCoec1ql9l8xo1_400.gif

2) the album should have been released the day after the SuperBowl. I think it would have had MASSIVE sales. And I don't get why they didn't. And it's not just about the sales, but the publicity and her being back in full force (I mean HELLO?? the most watched moment in American television history? the positive next day reviews? again, you can't get better than that). I'm sure the album was finished by that date and she knew almost 3 months before that she would perform there. Why waste this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity? :dazed: After that she wouldn't even had to do any other kind of promotion.

The saddest and most frustrating part about this whole thing is that the album is SO INCREDIBLY GOOD!!! :rant:

I do not agree with this completely though... we have to remember MDNA was made available for PRE-ORDER in iTunes shortly after the SuperBowl performance... they did a good strategy of launching a 1st single and the MDNA Pre-orders through the Superbowl... although there were no physical copies yet, it was available through iTunes which is like 80% of the online market... GMAYL was just a perfect song tied-in with the Superbowl... The problem really was the follow-through promo and dare i mention again that just when GMAYL was about to hit #1 in iTunes US then it disappeared for whatever reason then never regained the momentum...

The problem with MADONNA is conversion of promo into actual sales... even other HOT ARTISTS like Rihanna ang Lady Gaga suffers from that... Remember, Millions of Twitter and Facebook followers yet measly album sales and half empty concert venues...

I do agree that the album is INCREDIBLY GOOD like a COADF level!

Pre-ordering does not equal buying. People had to wait almost a month and a half to get their hands on the album. All they could buy was that lame GMAYL song, which is practically non-existent compared to the rest of the album. And a month and a half is A LOT in nowadays pop world.

Madonna (and I can't stress that enough) will never-ever have that kind of tremendous exposure again. I bet everybody was talking about Madonna's show the next day. A new (fantastic) album surely wouldn't have hurt would have sold like hot cakes. A MAJOR missed opportunity if u ax me.

And as of GMAYL...sorry, but that song is terrible. It may be perfect for promoting an American football match, but it's not a good song (especially for Madonna's standards).