WTF Happened...? To all or any momentum...

agclef

I can see her doing a concert like the Confessions Tour for many years

Me too. There are parts that maybe in the future she can't do, like that crazy dance in LIWB or the difficul part in Like a Virgin, but the rest... She can go and be the owner of the horses (Future Lover) she can be in a cross, she can play the guitar, and she can enjoy herself all the time.

So that means that she can do a very different show but simply use dancers and imaginery so she doesn't have to move too much. You know, Bruce Springsteen is touring and giving 3 hours concerts. Madonna can too if she simply doesn't have to dance a lot.

The more organic and relaxed she gets, the more she will be out there enjoying herself. The more botoxed and obsessed with youth she gets, the least time she has. So she'd better start accepting the fact and taking advantage of it. The world needs a 50 something Madonna expressing herself, not a big cheeked woman trying to behave as if Rihanna was her older sister.

Guest Not4Pussies

Some of you really underestimate her. Feels like some of yoh actually wish she retire. Yes shes getting older and the music and tours are gonna be released less but she's still gonna go at it as long as she can. She's fucking Madonna.

Me too. There are parts that maybe in the future she can't do, like that crazy dance in LIWB or the difficul part in Like a Virgin, but the rest... She can go and be the owner of the horses (Future Lover) she can be in a cross, she can play the guitar, and she can enjoy herself all the time.

So that means that she can do a very different show but simply use dancers and imaginery so she doesn't have to move too much. You know, Bruce Springsteen is touring and giving 3 hours concerts. Madonna can too if she simply doesn't have to dance a lot.

The MDNA Tour looks much more phisically challenging than Confessions Tour. So for at least more 10 years i can totally see Madonna jumping up and down, rolling on the floor, doing intricate choreography and singing on top of it. She is a true athlete.

In a matter of fact, i believe the guitar inclusions on her shows are only there to give her a little rest to be able to perform the grueling dance numbers at her age, masquerading her aging process meanwhile.

She can definitely do it. In "Future Lovers" from Confessions, the choreography is movement, not really dancing per se. And that's one of her best live numbers, if not the best. Point is, that number is not very aerobic but visually stunning. I've always thought she's wasting too much energy dancing her ass off on stage when her movements, if professionally choreographed, can be highly entertaining and a delight to watch. It's what you call star quality and she's got it.

• 3 weeks later...

What I find hard to understand about this era is this: Madonna always seems to indicate that she detests being reminded by many of her old classic hits. But surely she must know that the only way she can make us pay attention to her new songs is by making them big hits i.e. promotion. Remember Frozen on the National Lottery show 1998 in the UK...made it a huge first week no.1.

But GMAYL (which I personally think is as catchy as hell and a good choice for a single) had zero promotion here. And she hasn't bothered to promote any of the subsequent singles. I don't understand what she is trying to achieve by this. Does she forever want to be known only for her old songs? If not, then just make a completely non-commerical album and have done (which I would personally love). It's no use just blaming that idiot Oseary, Madonna herself knows what to do. Yes maybe the huge tour buzz she gets makes her think she's invincible. But how long will she be able to perform unknown songs on tour all the time and get away with it?

(OK one factor maybe Madonna didn't expect was the utter bastards at radio 1 banning her and that clearly has had a big impact

I've refused to listen to Radio 1 ever since. )

There's also a billboard featuring her MDNA cover on Times Square...

Random that it's mixed in with the Killers and the Beatles covers as well, not to mention timing wise...I don't think anyone would even recognize its her anyway... :confused:

She can definitely do it. In "Future Lovers" from Confessions, the choreography is movement, not really dancing per se. And that's one of her best live numbers, if not the best. Point is, that number is not very aerobic but visually stunning. I've always thought she's wasting too much energy dancing her ass off on stage when her movements, if professionally choreographed, can be highly entertaining and a delight to watch. It's what you call star quality and she's got it.

I agree. A lot of the more 'enthusiastic' cheoreography isn't that interesting to watch. Like A Virgin on Confessions was stunning and all she did was writhe around on the saddle. A lot of the earlier tours had fun, interesting choreography too.

Now we have to endure a parade of youngsters doing street dancing that has no relation to a song and often doesn't seem to be in time.

As for promotion, I'll say it again, so many people think Social Media will allow them to promote a project with minimal effort to the broadest audience but it doesn't work. Even her fans didn't buy the singles. There was just no engagement.

Well, the album returned to the U.S. albums charts because of the tour. Not SMASHING, but it's a positive, at least.

I was pleasantly surprised at its American sales.. at least it went gold/500K... not bad at all in today's climate, especially someone called irrelevant.. and not far off Hard Candy.

A disaster would be the 300K and below region I suppose which MANY people get now.

UK sales do seem absymal but I don't care, as long as she's doing well in either the US or UK I'm happy, plus got a rare top 10 single.. :tigger: if she bombs everywhere then well no.

What I find hard to understand about this era is this: Madonna always seems to indicate that she detests being reminded by many of her old classic hits. But surely she must know that the only way she can make us pay attention to her new songs is by making them big hits i.e. promotion. Remember Frozen on the National Lottery show 1998 in the UK...made it a huge first week no.1.

But GMAYL (which I personally think is as catchy as hell and a good choice for a single) had zero promotion here. And she hasn't bothered to promote any of the subsequent singles. I don't understand what she is trying to achieve by this. Does she forever want to be known only for her old songs? If not, then just make a completely non-commerical album and have done (which I would personally love). It's no use just blaming that idiot Oseary, Madonna herself knows what to do. Yes maybe the huge tour buzz she gets makes her think she's invincible. But how long will she be able to perform unknown songs on tour all the time and get away with it?

(OK one factor maybe Madonna didn't expect was the utter bastards at radio 1 banning her and that clearly has had a big impact

I've refused to listen to Radio 1 ever since. )

I don't really remember where i read but G.Oseary said that the tour was meant to present the new songs to her audience, so they must think that her name alone would make people go the shows and hopefully be exposed for the new songs to boost the album sales. Of course it didn't really work like that.

I don't really remember where i read but G.Oseary said that the tour was meant to present the new songs to her audience, so they must think that her name alone would make people go the shows and hopefully be exposed for the new songs to boost the album sales. Of course it didn't really work like that.

Anyone who went to that tour and came out moaning as all the casuals I saw seemed to deserved what they got - it was CALLED the MDNA tour, you get what you pay for. If you didn't know the album and expected wall to wall hits, tough titty.

And could it not be possible that M didn't have the charts in mind and just made an album for the fans and the one she wanted to make? That IS the type of music they tend to like, plus music she likes. Although it did have young sounding music like the current pop charts, so what, maybe she just happens to like that and wasn't chasing sales.

(OK one factor maybe Madonna didn't expect was the utter bastards at radio 1 banning her and that clearly has had a big impact I've refused to listen to Radio 1 ever since. )

I don't think she had any expectations or even knew/cared about R1. She would be acutely aware more than any of us that now she's 67 things won't be the same. It's been like this for a while now for her and she's well used to it; after you hit 40 as a woman in showbiz you'd might as well be dead. You won't get all the perks of yore and be treated the same, that's for sure - Mariblah Scary almost committed suicide over it after she found out the hard way. :rotfl:

Live concerts are generally there to support a new album. That's common sense. Every artist does it but as soon as as you have a decent back catalogue, people want the hits. It's a catch 22 that only a few artists experience and even fewer that have a career as long as M's.

But still Oseary has been completely misguided in his promotion, not even servicing remixes to the clubs to build interest. All singles were pretty much DOA. Just look what happened to TUTR - it seemed to go down well live but people, after hearing it once, don't remember it after the concert and the song bombed.

He should have done a Moby and licenced it to every corporate! That turned Play into a massive hit.

Anyone who went to that tour and came out moaning as all the casuals I saw seemed to deserved what they got - it was CALLED the MDNA tour, you get what you pay for. If you didn't know the album and expected wall to wall hits, tough titty.

Yes of course, but for her team to expect the tour to magically skyrocket the album sales is a bit too much right?

Tours can promote albuns in a limited degree but are more likely to succeed in promoting the artist as a performer. They are not usually the main marketing tools for album sales, much less for singles sales.

put it this way, the album was done, then the tour came along

and revived it just a tiny little bit

enough to push it back into the top tears of the 200 album charts

whereas, if there were no tour, would it have sold that much in that time frame?

lol tit for taint ladies and homosexuals, tit for taint

I'm pleasantly surprised the tour had any effect.. top 100 is not bad cause now catalog albums are included (you know, ones that actually like sell for real). I don't think Lard Candy recharted during SS did it? Not as significant as that anyway. It seems like a measure of how she's more loved in a way. :dramatic:

Yes of course, but for her team to expect the tour to magically skyrocket the album sales is a bit too much right?

Tours can promote albuns in a limited degree but are more likely to succeed in promoting the artist as a performer. They are not usually the main marketing tools for album sales, much less for singles sales.

Absolutely. "Non traditional promo" innit. :crazy::rotfl::rolleyes: