WTF Happened...? To all or any momentum...

agclef

^I agree. GGW is/was not fresh.

GMAYL still sounds like the obvious hit on the album, even if some of her fans dislike it much. I like the fact that it is different.

1. Masterpiece

2. GMAYL/ Superbowl single in the America

2. Turn Up the Radio / real first single worldwide with performance in the Grammys

3. many choices here..

I couldn't be happier with this era. We got Superbowl, simply the best and most entertaining thing she has ever done. It was staged immaculately, she was dressed incredibly and it proved all the critics wrong also. We also got a top 10 single out of it. In January we got some great television interviews like Graham Norton, Anderson Cooper, Cynthia McFaddon and Jay Leno. MDNA was a fantastic album and a true return to form that came with great album and single artwork as well. The GGW video was absolutely stunning and we got to see her dance again in a video with a troupe of dancers behind her and last but not least, the best tour she has ever done! Tightly choreographed, sexy, daring, controversial and sold out all over the world!

Who cares about the general public,that shouldn't affect how you feel about this era.

Exactly!

I wish they'd release a "single mix" of "Turn Up The Radio." The song has potential, but I'm not too fond of the production. I find the intro annoying.

You know, now that you mention it, it can use a little sumpin', sumpin' - and her voice is too doubled up on it.

No doubt this has been mentioned, but I think the rot set in with Celery. That was handled SO ineptly and was the perfect chance to reconnect with the public and remind them of her legacy, talk about a missed opportunity. That would have set up MDNA nicely, but was so half arsed like the album prior and might as well not have existed and it's really a long 4 year gap between albums.

Her albums are/should be events, not solely a means to tour or hawk a perfume.

I'm a Madonna fan for her recorded music and it sucks when it gets treated as an afterthought or as the least important ball in the air amid a swarm of merchandising crap.

No doubt this has been mentioned, but I think the rot set in with Celery. That was handled SO ineptly and was the perfect chance to reconnect with the public and remind them of her legacy, talk about a missed opportunity..

:lol: @ Celery.

I agree though Hard Candy certainly left a bad taste for many and it seemed to just keep getting worse.

A lot of MDNA proves she can obviously still write and record great songs but she sounds fucking bored on the rent-a-hit's she's used lately. It's clearly not going to score a significant hit for her so she may as well just focus on making an album based entirely on her own instincts and collaborative creativity. Doing so without trying to simultaneously a) direct and promote a film b) launch a fragrance c) launch multiple clothing and accessory lines d) meet a deadline for a major television event performance could make for her next masterwork.

And next time let's utilize a little "traditional" promo, eh?

Her albums are/should be events, not solely a means to tour or hawk a perfume.

I'm a Madonna fan for her recorded music and it sucks when it gets treated as an afterthought or as the least important ball in the air amid a swarm of merchandising crap.

:lol: @ Celery.

I agree though Hard Candy certainly left a bad taste for many and it seemed to just keep getting worse.

A lot of MDNA proves she can obviously still write and record great songs but she sounds fucking bored on the rent-a-hit's she's used lately. It's clearly not going to score a significant hit for her so she may as well just focus on making an album based entirely on her own instincts and collaborative creativity. Doing so without trying to simultaneously a) direct and promote a film b) launch a fragrance c) launch multiple clothing and accessory lines d) meet a deadline for a major television event performance could make for her next masterwork.

And next time let's utilize a little "traditional" promo, eh?

It won't matter -- the next album will flop, too. Let's all come to terms with the fact that she's not going to be posting huge numbers anymore.

1) The music market is very different today. Albums are dead. Singles are the new kind -- and Madonna and / or her management team don't seem to have caught on yet.

2) There are other, bigger stars out there today. (See: GaGa.) Those stars will suck the air out of the room for the next release, just as they did with this one -- and with "Hard Candy."

Madonna fans just need to get past the fact that she's not going to be wracking up many more (if any) number ones. She's past her prime. Lionness in winter.

Let's celebrate the incredible career she has and be thankful that she's still producing great music, even if it isn't selling. Honestly now, "MDNA" is fantastic. Be thankful it's not another "Turd Candy" and let's hope that the next one is just as good, or better -- regardless of its sales.

Madonna fans just need to get past the fact that she's not going to be wracking up many more (if any) number ones. She's past her prime. Lionness in winter.

Maybe, but did anyone expect her renassence at 40yo with ROL? Did anyone expect a number1 dance hit at 42yo with Music? Did anyone expect a major comeback at 47yo with the worldwide acclaimed COAD?

She has been old forever by now but bitch has surprised us many times before. I think its still possible as long as she cares to sing.

Maybe, but did anyone expect her renassence at 40yo with ROL? Did anyone expect a number1 dance hit at 42yo with Music? Did anyone expect a major comeback at 47yo with the worldwide acclaimed COAD?

She has been old forever by now but bitch has surprised us many times before. I think its still possible as long as she cares to sing.

:clap:

With her skills, it is indeed still possible. Other artists, I's say no but she's the smartest and best and when that timing is right and her gut tells her to go a certain direction that reinvents her sound and image to the right magnitude, it becomes more successful then these last two eras for example. I do love this era much more than the previous one. MDNA is pretty awesome with or without the hits or the public going crazy over it. It's still a huge response to have so many people still go see her and then she forces MDNA down their throats! :lol:

hunty, lady gimmick wont sell as much as her last record (states or worldwide), even if it was sold for 99 cents, ur right though - no one will sell

madonna only has a couple more albums to go, then its over say goodbye. hopefully shes smart enough to do it fast (like rihanna)....but she will always have a prescence in the industry with anything she does. most of these so called acts or fartists today will not.

She needs to stop releasing stuff like Girl Gone Wild and trying to compete with Rihanna/Gaga/Katy Perry and explore a new genre, not rehash what's already on the charts by acts kids can relate more to. Move on from kids, focus on the 25-65 age groups please... re-record American Life or something!

She needs to stop releasing stuff like Girl Gone Wild and trying to compete with Rihanna/Gaga/Katy Perry and explore a new genre, not rehash what's already on the charts by acts kids can relate more to. Move on from kids, focus on the 25-65 age groups please... re-record American Life or something!

Oh please no!! The songs she hasn't released as singles from MDNA show what she's capable of. Making non commercial single release choices accompanied by strong visuals could expose her to a new group who may not have paid attention to her before. If MDNA is her "divorce" album after Guy, then that means next album we should get a 56 year old Madonna doing the "Erotica" of her 50's! ;) Bring it on I say!! Demonna channeling Dita...HELL YEAH!

while on another madonna forum, one fan states she is irrelevant because her album/single flopped and no one is talking about her.

i guess the bigger question here is whether or not madonna's momentum matters. Does she still have relevancy in pop culture?

Her album and singles aren't burning up the charts but she's definitely being talked about. During S&S tour she was making headlines for wrong reasons like alleged affairs, divorce etc. This time she's making it for her artistic expression and social views. Madonna isn't popular with the Rhianna, Justin Bieber, Katy Perry and Lady Gaga crowd (for the most part) but anyone who would call her irrelevant has a very narrow and dare I say young minded view of what makes a pop culture figure "relevant". If it's the fan forum I think it is that doesn't surprise me in the least though.

Madonna has been through all the "phases" of popularity at this point. Where she is right now in 2012, is a place any young pop star can only dream of being when they are her age. Let's face it, the woman never has to release another album again and she'll still sell out stadiums and arenas around the world. That is something a lot of current artists can't do now, at their "peak". But if you REALLY want to break it down, she is going to end the year with one of the top selling albums in the world. No, it's not 15 million copies like ROL but she's keeping up amongst the newer (and older) competition. Also GMAYL was a mediocre sized hit not a giant sized flop.

Even if she's past the stage where she can do it consistently, I think Madonna will have at least one more critically-acclaimed, mega-selling (by today's standards) album and number one hit in her lifetime. MDNA isn't a bad album at all, but I think Madonna can (and will) do much better next time.

I wish they'd release a "single mix" of "Turn Up The Radio." The song has potential, but I'm not too fond of the production. I find the intro annoying.

The intro reminds me of Supertramp's "Dreamer". Yeah, I wish they'd release single mixes for the songs like they used to do. Then at least you have some real motivation to buy the song since you're not just re-purchasing the album track or buying a collection of remixes that sound nothing like the original.

...I'm still (probably in the minority here) waiting for her to do more adult-oriented pop, ala "You'll See", "Masterpiece" fits the bill nicely, but would like an entire album in that genre - she's MADONNA for crying out loud, she competing with herself basically because she has done it all!!!

Yes, I think everyone expected a comeback in 1998. She was, at this time, still the biggest star in the world. She had a string of global top 10 hits throughout the mid-90s, she starred in a near-universally-acclaimed movie, and the birth of her daughter was the decade's biggest celebrity news story, other than the death of Princess Di. She was set-up for a big comeback -- and she delivered.

Yes, I think everyone expected a big dance tune in 2000. No one expected to sound like underground French club music, but it was clear she was ready to have some fun after "ROL."

The only legitimate comeback of her career was "Confessions" because, other than "American Life," she never stopped being the biggest name in the music industry.

I haven't heard a new Madonna song on my local radio stations since 4 Minutes.

I think she has huge album potential in her still though. She doesn't HAVE to, her legacy is already in the books. But she could definitely do it if she focused. I agree she needs to not worry about competing with today's pop tartlets and do something beyond. I'd never count her out.

She needs at least one more hit to increase here internet presence if she wants to promote her music only via this

10 mil likes is nothing/Rihanna has 60 mil

She needs at least one more hit to increase here internet presence if she wants to promote her music only via this

10 mil likes is nothing/Rihanna has 60 mil

Meh! Gaga has the most followers on Twitter but she couldn't get a No.1 in the UK from her last album. GaGa and Rihanna work their asses off with personal appearances to keep themselves in the spotlight. Beyonce's last album was bombing until she appeared at Glastonbury and was seen on TV. Coldplay's single Paradise was tanking until they appeared on X-Factor.

Radio and tv appearances may be old skool but they work way better than the internet as you're forcing your product on an audience who wouldn't go out and search for it by themselves but may like it.

Agree, but if Gaga releases her new single tommorow and doin nothing except facebook/twitter

she will have instantly 10 times more views and downloads.

Hope Madonna will do some (or last) tv perfofrmances to fix it