WTF Happened...? To all or any momentum...

agclef

:lol:

I just hate it when you speak ill of this album. Your reasoning for it is caca. But I do love you.

Do you listen to it straight through? Does it flow well to you as she sequenced it?

Guest bluejean

Or maybe you're just not a fan of her work. That's your opinion. And you're welcome to it. Hell, I don't even really listen to her. I have no interest to. Though, I don't believe she has no interest in making music or lacks passion for it. I'm not saying that artists don't have creative lows, but again that is subjective unless the artist admits to having those times. But this isn't about Rihanna and I'm not going to play the game of bashing other artists because I may not dig their style, music or sound. :thumbsdown:

Well actually, I do like her previous work. I am referring to her CURRENT album, and I am using her as an example to disagree with your statement that you can't imagine any artist slapping an album together and not caring about it or putting their all into it. I can, it happens all the time. They have deadlines to meet and contracts to fulfill, its not always a labour of love and total perfectionism.

Do you listen to it straight through? Does it flow well to you as she sequenced it?

Honestly I'm probably the wrong person to ax that. Sequencing doesn't matter much to me. The songs individually matter more, and the quantity of how many good ones there are on an album. I judge an album based on that. But yes I do listen to it all the way thru.

Well actually, I do like her previous work. I am referring to her CURRENT album, and I am using her as an example to disagree with your statement that you can't imagine any artist slapping an album together and not caring about it or putting their all into it. I can, it happens all the time. They have deadlines to meet and contracts to fulfill, its not always a labour of love and total perfectionism.

But you're only making assumptions she "slapped it together". How can you be sure that she didn't care? In fact, from further reading, it seems she started working on her latest album in February of 2011 and finished it in November. Sorry, but NINE MONTHS... and you think she just "slapped it together". Madonna recorded some of her best albums in less time. Originally, the idea was going to be a "re-issue" of Rhianna's "Loud" album with new tracks, but she obviously felt inspired to create a whole new album of material. Of course, there are plenty of deadlines in any profession and yes even in the music industry. But again, I am not here to debate other artists interest or passion in music since my main argument was based on the claims some think Madonna lacks interest or what not.

Guest Coked Up Baby Boy

Oh good gawd, I can't believe some are actually questioning her "passion" or she's lost interest in making music... WTF??? That's just utter bullshit. Whatever one may think of MDNA, it's obviously one's opinion. Like it or not, it isn't something she half-haphazardly put together without much thought. It's the same with any of her albums. That's just silly. I can't imagine any musician really doing that when they are putting together an album. Obviously, some albums aren't as great as others, but it certainly doesn't mean an artist has lost interest in the music because some fans don't find it to be their best work or because it's not generally accepted by the public. Also, no one spends more than three months rehearsing for a tour which features new music from their latest album, without having some passion or interest. Hell, she's planning to "slackline" while performing. Please, c'mon! "No interest in her music"??? Madonna is about to embark on one of her longest and most likely most expensive and most grossed tour to date. The fact she's taking this tour on the road for more than three months says a lot for her "interest" in her music. This is a woman who has said many times in the past, she quickly tires of performing her old songs. No doubt, it will be grueling for her to keep performing these songs night after night, knowing she's a perfectionist and gets easily bored after performing the same thing over and over.

Say what you want... believe what you want, but to actually think Madonna has "lost interest in making music" is just utter bullshit. Even with the lack of promotion, you can see all the effort and passion she's put in the songs and the videos and surely the tour. Good gawd, some of you are quite mental over this whole idea that she's lost her passion because she isn't out peddling her album on QVC, AMERICAN IDOL, or what not. Even with the lack of promotion, she's still been quite visible and active within the public eye. It may not be up to your standards of how an artist should promote, but people still know she's making music and touring. In the end, her commitments are to touring. And yes, TOURING IS THE ULTIMATE promotion, whether it sells anymore albums or not. TOURING is part of the whole music making process. Has been for years and years... an artist makes an album and then they go out on tour, performing songs from the album. It may not be like the old days where the albums benefit, but these days... especially for Madonna, it's the tour that generates the income.

Honestly, some of you need to quit making all these nonsensical assumptions and just enjoy the music. If an album has to be accepted by the general public or produce top 40 hits, to be a good album, then obviously you've not heard a good album because some of the best albums are not always the biggest selling albums or has produced huge hits.

LORD :rotfl:

Guest bluejean

But you're only making assumptions she "slapped it together". How can you be sure that she didn't care? In fact, from further reading, it seems she started working on her latest album in February of 2011 and finished it in November. Sorry, but NINE MONTHS... and you think she just "slapped it together".

The fact is, artists DO sometimes slap things together and not care about the quality of their output. Maybe Rihanna isn't a good example, maybe she spent 9 months on her shitty album and thought it was really good. It's beside the point.

The fact is, artists DO sometimes slap things together and not care about the quality of their output. Maybe Rihanna isn't a good example, maybe she spent 9 months on her shitty album and thought it was really good. It's beside the point.

:lmao:

if M lost interest in making music, I'm sure HC would be her last album already. Now she'd be making W./E. Sequel already!

Honestly, some of you need to quit making all these nonsensical assumptions and just enjoy the music. If an album has to be accepted by the general public or produce top 40 hits, to be a good album, then obviously you've not heard a good album because some of the best albums are not always the biggest selling albums or has produced huge hits.

Neut, don't you think MDNA deserves all of those above though? M put a lot of work into this album (she wrote 5 breakup songs!), but she and PEOPLE in her camp delivered THIS FUCKIN GREAT ALBUM the wrong way!

:lmao:

Rihanna doesn't even write. She very well could have just been popping in & out of hte studio the entire 9 months between her crazy promo tour to lay down vocals. Which would support his theory. It's a different ballgame when you don't even write your own music.

In the UK, in a way, there's not much the Madonna camp could do. A lot of it comes down to Radio 1 and 2 not playing GMAYL and now GGW. You need that latent exposure and their figures are enormous. However, Radio 1 have removed Madonna from their playlist now like many older artists. GGW has not made it to Radio 2 playlist but it's not due for release until 14th so we'll see but it is doubtful as it's the wrong song for the UK.

But yes, it feels like it was a quick flash and it was gone in three shorts bursts: Superbowl/GMAYL video release / Album release / GGW video. The tour will mean one day's worth of press reviews for a concert and it will be over by July here :(

They struggled to bother with a third single and video for HC. I can't imagine them getting a fourth single from MDNA given the current performance.

Yeah this is her big problem now - her songs just aren't getting played on radio or TV at all over here.

I stick on Chart Show TV and other music channels in the background all the time when I'm doing things - and that's how I end up liking new music. You keep hearing the songs and seeing the videos and before long, something you originally thought was "just ok", you're loving.

I know it form DJing in clubs too - people are asking me for all the things that are getting played to death on the radio or TV - no-one is hearing the Madonna stuff at all so only die-hard Madonna fans are asking for her stuff to be played. I've not seen GGW video ONCE on any TV channel over here. I thought maybe channels like Dance Nation TV might have added it - but no!

As I said before - for the first time ever in the UK - it's like she doesn't have an album out at all.

Guest bluejean

Rihanna doesn't even write. She very well could have just been popping in & out of hte studio the entire 9 months between her crazy promo tour to lay down vocals. Which would support his theory. It's a different ballgame when you don't even write your own music.

That too. Pretty sure she was on tour most of that time actually. Now stop laughing Neurocks, I want a 20 page essay on why I'm wrong :p

All these "FACT" 's are ridiculous people buy what they like and even if it were a 90 year star with a killer first single people would buy it. GMAYL was shit period. EVERYONE knows this aside from some on here.

People with these FACTS on here were saying the same thing about Madonna during American Life "face it guys Madonna is too old and it's all about touring so get used to it" then she came back with Confessions on a Dancefloor with a HUGE hit all around the world. Is Madonna old? YES. Is her days at radio done in the US not around the world? YES.

If her lead off single on MDNA had been great and with the promo it got it would have been huge globally and we wouldn't be talking about this we would be bitching that the second single is bombing at US radio. The only luck she has with US radio is if the lead single is hot if not forget about it. No matter who the artist if the song is great it will get exposure either in sales or airplay it will FIND AN AUDIENCE a la 'Hung Up' in the US. Madonna needs to be great now a days period.

It's about the quality of her music and this time around it was a TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE lead off single even hardcore fans hate it. That is a fact.

:thumbsup:

[Positive note] I'm confident in Madonna. She'll find the right spots or ways to promote the album throughout the year, whether tour or otherwise, and I'll be there soaking it all in. Moreover, I'll see her live. That is WITHOUT A QUESTION what matters most to me. Seeing my idol and inspiration live, in person, performing her timeless classics and amazing new songs.

[bitchy note] That her SuperBowl performance wasn't enough for fans to hold them over until the Girl Gone Wild release and that THAT is not enough until late May speaks to this terrible culture we are living in. If it were for the 18-25yo demographic, bitch would have to put out a new video every month, a new performance on a TV show every other week, and an album every year. Momentum? Didn't all this JUST happen? And isn't a tour ABOUT TO BEGIN?

Ugh.

Who cares if she didn't write the music! It still doesn't mean she didn't put any heart and soul into the project, but that's irrelevant since my main argument is about MADONNA not Rhianna. I just can't believe ANYONE really thinks Madonna just lacked any interest or passion in MDNA. LOL!

Who cares if she didn't write the music! It still doesn't mean she didn't put any heart and soul into the project, but that's irrelevant since my main argument is about MADONNA not Rhianna. I just can't believe ANYONE really thinks Madonna just lacked any interest or passion in MDNA. LOL!

I don't agree either but you were posting your little laughing smileys at Bluejean when he brought up a legit point.

I think passion is a stupid word to use anyway. Obviously she's not going to be in Ray Of Light/Divine Inspiration mode every single time she makes an album. It's just not realistic, as all artists fluctuate in what is inspiring or informing their work at any given point. It's not that easy, mind you. But it doesn't mean they love what they do any less. Was she in SUPER INSPIRATION GROUNDBREAKING MODE when she made True Blue, an album that came at the height of her popularity and the height of her ambitiousness? Or was she just in the mood to make music that propelled her to wanna perform? She can't be pressured to be experimental and GRITTY & RAW with every single album. On MDNA she definitely seemed driven by a lot of anger and defiance and that comes through in the lyrics and the music too. That makes it unique and interesting enough for me. She doesn't have to feel obligated to reinvent the wheel in order to make a compelling album. Confessions is not an original or experimental album in the least, and yet it's considered somewhat of a renaissance record for her. On the flipside, Madonna was extremely driven by this need to SAY things and deep experimentation with American Life, and it wound up being the album that put a wrench in her very consistent momentum.

It's not passion we should be discussing, it's approach. Her approach may have been more experimental on Ray Of Light, and as a result it may be a more accomplished album because of the risk taking that paid off, but it's also not as emotionally varied as say, MDNA or Music. The point is: MDNA is by no means a sidenote album. Hell, not even Hard Candy or American Life were. She has yet to make one of those. For an example of an artist who has done that numerous times, look no further than Fanet Fackson.

I think passion is a stupid word to use anyway. Obviously she's not going to be in Ray Of Light/Divine Inspiration mode every single time she makes an album. It's just not realistic, as all artists fluctuate in what is inspiring or informing their work at any given point. It's not that easy, mind you. But it doesn't mean they love what they do any less. Was she in SUPER INSPIRATION GROUNDBREAKING MODE when she made True Blue, an album that came at the height of her popularity and the height of her ambitiousness? Or was she just in the mood to make music that propelled her to wanna perform? She can't be pressured to be experimental and GRITTY & RAW with every single album. On MDNA she definitely seemed driven by a lot of anger and defiance and that comes through in the lyrics and the music too. She doesn't have to feel obligated to reinvent the wheel in order to make a compelling album. Confessions is not an original or experimental album in the least, and yet it's considered somewhat of a renaissance record for her. On the flipside, Madonna was extremely driven by this need to SAY things and deep experimentation with American Life, and it wound up being the album that put a wrench in her very consistent momentum.

It's not passion we should be discussing, it's approach. Her approach may have been more experimental on Ray Of Light, and as a result it may be a more accomplished album because of the risk taking that paid off, but it's also not as emotionally varied as say, MDNA or Music. The point is: MDNA is by no means a sidenote album. Hell, not even Hard Candy or American Life were. She has yet to make one of those. For an example of an artist who has done that numerous times, look no further than Fanet Fackson.

Agreed. Also, I'm completely content if Madonna does not score another huge hit or doesn't make it on radio. The "momentum" is there for me which is what this topic was originally questioning. Sure, I'd love to see her get many more huge hits, but unfortunately, we live in a society which doesn't appreciate older artists in TOP 40 radio.That said, it doesn't lack any "momentum".

Confessions is renaissance Madonna :dramatic: This is the second time I read you writing this 12:51 and I couldn't agree more. It's the perfect word to reference this era. :bow:

When I stop to think in this flop again I get really angry. Last year we all were dreaming about a huge comeback, with hit singles and explosive album sales (at least I was). Because it was a four-year hiatus, all the gaga stuff and finally the Super Bowl. I don't get it. I know about the TOURING being most important for her now, it was made very clear on the forum, but I just don't understand why the 2005/2008 type of promo is not suitable anymore.

She was 47 and 49, this is old too! I don't see the big difference to 53. Old is old! I don't buy the ageism as a reason to whats happenning. If you see the statistics on GMAYL video, you're gonna find out that the major audience is female 13-17. This speaks a lot. Madonna is reaching new and younger fans and they don't seem to care her age. So why she's not promoting?

Confessions is renaissance Madonna :dramatic: This is the second time I read you writing this 12:51 and I couldn't agree more. It's the perfect word to reference this era. :bow:

When I stop to think in this flop again I get really angry. Last year we all were dreaming about a huge comeback, with hit singles and explosive album sales (at least I was). Because it was a four-year hiatus, all the gaga stuff and finally the Super Bowl. I don't get it. I know about the TOURING being most important for her now, it was made very clear on the forum, but I just don't understand why the 2005/2008 type of promo is not suitable anymore.

She was 47 and 49, this is old too! I don't see the big difference to 53. Old is old! I don't buy the ageism as a reason to whats happenning. If you see the statistics on GMAYL video, you're gonna find out that the major audience is female 13-17. This speaks a lot. Madonna is reaching new and younger fans and they don't seem to care her age. So why she's not promoting?

Don't confuse the two. It's not that she is "too old" for such promotion. The lack of promotion was just a different strategy she and her manager decided to take after the huge Superbowl performance. Where "ageism" comes in is when radio or other media outlets aren't willing to play her stuff. I mean; c'mon... "Girl Gone Wild" is exactly the type of song that is being played on radio. It should have been a hit, but if radio isn't going to give it a go, then it's not going to gain much interest. Also, our society IS definitely ageist to especially FEMALE entertainers. You cannot deny it. What happened 4 to 8 years ago doesn't matter. In fact, if you really look at her last successful single, it was a song that many fans will agree that featured Justin Timberlake more than Madonna. That song did as well as it did, because it had TWO HUGE fan bases supporting it. Not only that, you could even throw in the TIMBALAND fanbase as well. I don't think some here are taking that in account. If Madonna alone came out with that song, it wouldn't have done as well. The proof comes with the follow up single which went no where. "Give It 2 Me" is a decent song. Warners didn't give the push that it should have had for radio and Madonna was heading out on tour by the time that song was released.

Again, I think you and others are putting too much stake into "promotion". Such promotion takes time and money which isn't good business sense at a time that most artists are struggling to even sell the amount MDNA has done world-wide. It makes sense to focus on the tour where the real money is being made.

The album is pretty weak. I prefer Hard Candy by a long shot. Shame I was hopeful for something awesome and that didn't sound like Lady Gaga.

I kind of agree w/ this and kind of don't. I just quit listening to MDNA about a week ago. The album is good — the overall "flavor" is quality — but the details. idk. Something is missing that doesn't grab me. I MUCH prefer the singles off HC; not looking forward to 'Turn Up The Radio' at all. Even the picture campaign for HC I'm liking better. Some of my favorite pics now are those untouched photos of her (similar to my avatar). She's older looking but dressing young. The contrast is interesting and very unique these days! I wish M would embrace it more instead of Photoshop overload. She's a cougar, run w/ it! The MDNA photo campaign, or lack thereof, is troubling (to me).

Strange though, bc overall I'm quite happy w/ the era these days. We're getting slightly better videos, the Superbowl (which I adore) and I'm looking SO forward to the tour. Remixes are horrid though and that's a serious problem (for me).

On topic, I could care less about lack of promo. As long as I personally get MY Madonna era every 3 years of so, it's all good. If other ppl don't know about it, doesn't effect me at all lol. Just relax and enjoy the era ppl. A couple more weeks and we get a tour!!!

5. Too much time for the movie, too little time for the album

You can close this topic now cuz that's the answer right there :thumbsup:

[Positive note] I'm confident in Madonna. She'll find the right spots or ways to promote the album throughout the year, whether tour or otherwise, and I'll be there soaking it all in. Moreover, I'll see her live. That is WITHOUT A QUESTION what matters most to me. Seeing my idol and inspiration live, in person, performing her timeless classics and amazing new songs.

[bitchy note] That her SuperBowl performance wasn't enough for fans to hold them over until the Girl Gone Wild release and that THAT is not enough until late May speaks to this terrible culture we are living in. If it were for the 18-25yo demographic, bitch would have to put out a new video every month, a new performance on a TV show every other week, and an album every year. Momentum? Didn't all this JUST happen? And isn't a tour ABOUT TO BEGIN?

Ugh.

I know right! The Super Bowl may as well have been 5 years ago at this point. It's crazy to me how ADD the world has become with everything.

Guest bluejean

I'm completely content if Madonna does not score another huge hit or doesn't make it on radio. The "momentum" is there for me

Me too! I don't understand the obsession with charts and sales. I do think they should be doing more to keep fans excited though.

I would like to see pro shot footage of parts of the show not long after the tour starts. That would be something she hasn't done in ages and would keep us all excited. I know she doesn't like to ruin the surprise but with all the YouTube videos that go up these days they may as well just put some bits of the show up officially.

Also, I think it would be great if she did some acoustic YouTube videos backstage (yes, like Kylie did.) Little things like that and maybe behind the scenes/rehearsal footage too. There's so much cool stuff they could be doing that takes little/no effort, instead they wasted their time doing those crappy interviews on TV shows noone watches.

I would like to see pro shot footage of parts of the show not long after the tour starts.

Also, I think it would be great if she did some acoustic YouTube videos backstage (yes, like Kylie did.) Little things like that and maybe behind the scenes/rehearsal footage too. There's so much cool stuff they could be doing that takes little/no effort, instead they wasted their time doing those crappy interviews on TV shows noone watches.

I would love this too, and we might get it. In fact, that's what I thought was going to happen when Orbit started talking about acoustic versions (as opposed to doing an mp3-only of Love Spent, where Madonna doesn't even sing her part live).

As you say, the fact that these are cost/effective ways of promoting (particularly quick backstage footage) increases the chances of it actually happen. Now, acoustic YouTube videos of decent quality (like

)... that's more doubtful. Though it would be beautiful.

Here's to hoping!

Guest bluejean

Oh I'm not even asking for good quality. But I mean, is it really THAT expensive to pay a decent cameraman to do some backstage videos? They've had a camera floating behind the scenes on the past 3 tours, something of that quality would be great.

PS I LOVE Marina and the Diamonds.

The young generation does NOT give a F*CK about Madge *FACT*

Only older segment of general public(mostly ppl who grew up with her) and her die-hard fanbase are still willing to pay her MEGA expensive ticks for the shows and that's it *FACT*

Just be happy that she is still releasing good music and touring and forget about charts, radio play and the young music fans who are into Riri, Gaga, Katy, etc.

Young gays currently don't like Madonna. They like the young trendy ones, Rihanna, Gaga, Katy, etc. But, as they get older they will look past what's on the radio. They will eventually discover Madonna and become fans, which works out since they will become M fans around the time that they can actually afford to go to one of her shows :lol:

This might be temporary though. If her next album has a radio hit, young gays will like her again. They like whatever is popular at the moment. I don't think M's team cares too much since that demographic can't afford to go to her shows. At most, they will buy a 99 cents single on iTunes and download her album illegally.