WTF Happened...? To all or any momentum...

agclef

Guest bluejean

Young gays currently don't like Madonna.

This is really not true. I have alot of young gays on my Facebook (18-25 age range) and I have seen so many of them post the Girl Gone Wild video or make reference to the song. And most of my Facebook friends are in Australia too, where she is not getting played on radio at all. Not sure if she's getting played in gay clubs, I presume so.

I honestly believe if GGW had been the 1st single and radio got behind it it would have been a moderate hit. All this talk of ageism is exaggerated, GMAYL killed the momentum. Madonna isn't Cher, she's a legend and everyone had their ears open for the 1st single. Pity it was shit.

This is really not true. I have alot of young gays on my Facebook (18-25 age range) and I have seen so many of them post the Girl Gone Wild video or make reference to the song. And most of my Facebook friends are in Australia too, where she is not getting played on radio at all. Not sure if she's getting played in gay clubs, I presume so.

I honestly believe if GGW had been the 1st single and radio got behind it it would have been a moderate hit. All this talk of ageism is exaggerated, GMAYL killed the momentum. Madonna isn't Cher, she's a legend and everyone had their ears open for the 1st single. Pity it was shit.

I was generalizing, I should have said she's not currently popular among young gays. Some do still like her, just not the majority. They are obsessed with the younger gay divas.

Guest bluejean

I was generalizing, I should have said she's not currently popular among young gays. Some do still like her, just not the majority. They are obsessed with the younger gay divas.

Okay. Well it makes sense. Britney still seems very popular actually considering how half arsed she is these days.

:clap:

Oh I'm not even asking for good quality. But I mean, is it really THAT expensive to pay a decent cameraman to do some backstage videos? They've had a camera floating behind the scenes on the past 3 tours, something of that quality would be great.

PS I LOVE Marina and the Diamonds.

They did this to a certain extent for S&S (at least for S&S 2009). Guy posted several backstage/rehearsal/special footage on Youtube

They did this to a certain extent for S&S (at least for S&S 2009). Guy posted several backstage/rehearsal/special footage on Youtube

Wow I have never ever seen this . Thanks !

Oh so cool, I hadn't seen this before.

Wow I have never ever seen this . Thanks !

what?? :shock:

There are quite a few of those. You can still watch some of them via Guy's YT channel

Strangely enough the coolest (backstage) ones are not on there anymore

Here's another one I found

It is worse here. Not only are they obsessed with young divas but they're obsessed with screamers (i.e., Mariah, Charice, Beyonce)

She's old, no one cares as much. That's it. It happens to them ALL if you can stick around long enough. She's a touring legend act from now on like all the other greats that are still around, The Stones, Bowie, Prince ect ect.

This is IT from now on. Accept it and get over it and you'll all be able to enjoy her eras much more.

I agree, her age is the bottom line. It's a shallow, ageist world we live in. She wanted to prove her relevance to a younger market with Hard Candy and barely did, with every year that passes it becomes that little bit harder to achieve, now it's virtually impossible.

MDNA isn't a strong enough come back album either to prove her relevance, the best thing about this era is Love Spent and the music videos. Still, the Superbowl proved she's better than ever at performing.

It is worse here. Not only are they obsessed with young divas but they're obsessed with screamers (i.e., Mariah, Charice, Beyonce)

What on Earth is Charice?

Guest Norig

it's funny when you people say that youngsters don't like MAdonna...have you ever been to a Madonna's concert in Italy, Spain, France, Brazil, Argentina etc etc???? in these countries a HUGE part of her fanbase is young ( 19/26yo) and not old, honestly why some of you generalize so much is beyond me.

Just because in the US she doesn't appeal to teenagers she's to be considered as an act for older people EVERYWHERE ELSE??

So true and probably reason the young aren't fans is because she isn't played on the radio here!

It does seem a shame about this era given that she looks her best, the album is amazing and the Superbowl exposure. I didn't hate GMAYL but it had leaked months prior so they should have gone with something else!

Supposedly Madonnarama is saying they'll be filming May 31st to then promote the tour that way.

I can't quite understand what they expect to do with the filming of the tour. The tours nearly sold out, there's very lttle music television. Who's actually going to show it or anything more than clips? I wonder if they think the general public will flock to youtube to watch it?

I can't quite understand what they expect to do with the filming of the tour. The tours nearly sold out, there's very lttle music television. Who's actually going to show it or anything more than clips? I wonder if they think the general public will flock to youtube to watch it?

Why not just enjoy what's to come, rather dissect every little move they make. I swear, you seem to be obsessed with the promotion, chart and sales success more than Madonna rather than just enjoying the music. I mean; what does it matter to you? Will your world crumble if Madonna doesn't get a hit single or album from this point on, or if she doesn't do promotion the way you want her to do? Why not accept that this is all for the benefit of all her current fans? It's clear to me the main focus is the tour and merchandising as well as the TV/DVD deal that will follow. It's always good to have promotional videos/cuts from the concert to use for future ads for DVD release as well as a future broadcast.

Why not just enjoy what's to come, rather dissect every little move they make. I swear, you seem to be obsessed with the promotion, chart and sales success more than Madonna rather than just enjoying the music. I mean; what does it matter to you? Will your world crumble if Madonna doesn't get a hit single or album from this point on, or if she doesn't do promotion the way you want her to do? Why not accept that this is all for the benefit of all her current fans? It's clear to me the main focus is the tour and merchandising as well as the TV/DVD deal that will follow. It's always good to have promotional videos/cuts from the concert to use for future ads for DVD release as well as a future broadcast.

Why do you persist in attacking people with this drivel? It was perfectly reasonable question.

I come to this forum to discuss Madonna and the various facets of her career. It's a forum, not a lamb fest!

Once again, I find myself having to say to someone, if you don't like the post, go and read another.

We know you've accepted that it's all the touring, we know what you think. Five fucking paragraphs some times when one sentence would do. I Don't Care! If you can't enter into a discussion with anything of merit, go to another post and talk about her hair colour.

Why do you persist in attacking people with this drivel? It was perfectly reasonable question.

I come to this forum to discuss Madonna and the various facets of her career. It's a forum, not a lamb fest!

Once again, I find myself having to say to someone, if you don't like the post, go and read another.

We know you've accepted that it's all the touring, we know what you think. Five fucking paragraphs some times when one sentence would do. I Don't Care! If you can't enter into a discussion with anything of merit, go to another post and talk about her hair colour.

:clap:

You know, it really is a two way street. First of all, I didn't attack. I didn't tell you to stop voicing your opinions. I also didn't insult how you chose to write your response, nor attack you for the length of your reply. Furthermore, we can say we all know what you think as well since you've repeatedly carried on and on about how disappointed you are with the singles, promotions, charts, sales, the way Madonna wipes her ass, etc and seem to be a complete Debby Downer most of the time.

I do offer much merit to the discussion. Obviously, you don't agree with my opinions. Instead of just agreeing to disagree or making a mature counter argument, you resort to demeaning others for writing more than a sentence or two.

Q: WTF Happened... ?

A: Calendar changed from 1986 to 2012.

Listen, Madonna is a lioness in winter. She's retired from the life of hit-maker. The thing is -- she seems to have accepted this, while her hardcore fan base rails against it.

The swell of "This is the next 'Ray of Light' comeback" or "This is the next 'Like a Prayer' masterpiece" that fans have built-up ahead of every album release in the past decade is naive. In the U.S., she's had four top ten hits in the past 10 years. She enjoyed more success internationally -- and in Europe especially -- but still nothing like she experienced in the 80s and 90s. (The brief exception being the "Confessions" era in Europe, which was undeniably huge.)

Madonna doesn't seem terribly concerned with being the biggest star in the world anymore. She seems much more content with charity work, films, other pet projects, and touring. And she is in good company doing just that -- alongside Prince, the Rolling Stones, and quite a few more.

Just be happy that she gave us a fantastic new album. I was dearly worried that it would be another stinker along the lines of "American Life" or "Hard Candy."

You know, it really is a two way street. First of all, I didn't attack. I didn't tell you to stop voicing your opinions. I also didn't insult how you chose to write your response, nor attack you for the length of your reply. Furthermore, we can say we all know what you think as well since you've repeatedly carried on and on about how disappointed you are with the singles, promotions, charts, sales, the way Madonna wipes her ass, etc and seem to be a complete Debby Downer most of the time.

I do offer much merit to the discussion. Obviously, you don't agree with my opinions. Instead of just agreeing to disagree or making a mature counter argument, you resort to demeaning others for writing more than a sentence or two.

You know what, I really don't care. I'm blocking you. I've seen so many posts about people fed up with your attitude and you really just set out to patronise. The board was a really nice place when you went a way for a few months. I'm not the first to criticise you and I'm sure I won't be the last.

I contribute a real variety of opinions - some positive and some negative and lambs like you can't cope with that then fine but stop bringing everyone down for having an opinion different to yours. If you don't like what I say, block my posts. I'd be quite happy with that because I'm just going to block you now. Hopefully, you'll leave the board again and this place will go back to people just wanting to discuss Madonna - Good and bad.

Listen, Madonna is a lioness in winter. She's retired from the life of hit-maker. The thing is -- she seems to have accepted this, while her hardcore fan base rails against it.

The swell of "This is the next 'Ray of Light' comeback" or "This is the next 'Like a Prayer' masterpiece" that fans have built-up ahead of every album release in the past decade is naive. In the U.S., she's had four top ten hits in the past 10 years. She enjoyed more success internationally -- and in Europe especially -- but still nothing like she experienced in the 80s and 90s. (The brief exception being the "Confessions" era in Europe, which was undeniably huge.)

Madonna doesn't seem terribly concerned with being the biggest star in the world anymore. She seems much more content with charity work, films, other pet projects, and touring. And she is in good company doing just that -- alongside Prince, the Rolling Stones, and quite a few more.

Just be happy that she gave us a fantastic new album. I was dearly worried that it would be another stinker along the lines of "American Life" or "Hard Candy."

:thumbsup: BINGO!!

Very well put. This and others made a lot of very valid points and I appreciate everyone's opinions.

Thanks!

Sorry but i don't agree. She wouldn't duet Justin or record tracks like GMAYL if she didn't want instant success. It's pretty clear it's not the path she would naturally follow. If you listen to MDNA, you can clearly say which tracks Madonna enjoyed and which ones were recorded to be instant hits.

Sorry but i don't agree. She wouldn't duet Justin or record tracks like GMAYL if she didn't want instant success. It's pretty clear it's not the path she would naturally follow. If you listen to MDNA, you can clearly say which tracks Madonna enjoyed and which ones were recorded to be instant hits.

I'll have to agree with this.

If she's not interested in having successful singles anymore, why not release Gang Bang and film a killer video for it? Radio wouldn't play it anyway, what does she have to lose (considering that she is NOT interested in multi-platinum singles anymore)? I bet it would be more appreciated even by the non-fans than the atrocious GMAYL.

If she's not interested in having successful singles anymore, why not release Gang Bang and film a killer video for it? Radio wouldn't play it anyway, what does she have to lose (considering that she is NOT interested in multi-platinum singles anymore)? I bet it would be more appreciated even by the non-fans than the atrocious GMAYL.

Well to give credit to both opinions, I think she does have an interest in having "some" relevance, however she is focused on her all her "duties" and preps everything to be a success and if it doesn't succeed, she just keeps moving forward. The initial ideas are always "commercially successful" worthy but if it ultimately doesn't pass, she just keeps moving forward with her fan base. It's the same with American Life (although she did change the video.) the original video was done to capture the concept of the album and throw a little controversey for good Madonna-measure. The same with Confessions, only that worked in her favor and it was just perfect for the radio and it just worked in all areas in the public eye all around the world. She was just coming back from the American Life era and returning to "form" as many people would claim so that also was a good way to resurrect herself. People, as much as they critizes her, were probably like, "damn, M didn't do anything with that last record... :/" and then she sampled Abba and conquered once again.

I think she does care about being relevant but at this point, it's more like, "I'm doing my thing and it's good. If you want to ride the wave, ride it and if you don't, you're missing out and eventually, hopefully with the few tricks I have to unravel, you might end up interested in the end."

I don't think they want this era to fail and in this case the tour is a fool-proof garauntee that it won't, however the little things she will do to keep promoting the record (as little as it may be) might garner a bit of interest if the music is fitting even if it DOESN'T get played on radio. Among her people, I'm sure she has no idea about the album sales as from a business perspective, they are probably just feeding her how amazing the tour is shaping up to be and how much bigger the money signs are in that avenue. I completely get why she is sooo focused on her tours, when obviously she has topped herself tour after tour and is the main focus of success for an artist now and she is the top touring artist ever so why focus on other areas when you are #1 on tours where everyone else strives to be?

I love this era and I love GMAYL but doesn't GGW feat minaj and MIA make more sense to you as the first single?

No. I love GGW. I'm glad she was on GMAYL since wasn't too fond of GMAYL and in retrospect, the addition of Minaj just made me hate it more so I'm glad she didn't destroy GGW but also, I like the way she sounds on I Don't Give A.

Of course.