Expect The Unexpected: The Official MDNA Tour Countdown

HOLY SHIT IT'S MAY.

Aka the best month of the year. When was the last time we had zero idea what to expect from a Midge tour? I think it was Reinvention. The last time she had performed prior to Reinvention was the VMAs and by May of 2004, the themes of American Life had long been forgotten. In fact that tour was pretty much marketed as a Greatest Hits tour. When all those Steven Klien pics were unveiled with the weird Marie Antoinette stuff, we all knew we were in for a surprise. Then the tour hit and the iconica Vogue corset was revealed. A very surprising moment after a year of Granny sundresses, buckled shoes, and yes, potpourri.

But once Perfections rolled around, Reinvention was pretty much whatever. The Vogue corset stood the test of time at least.

DROWNED WORLD TOUR PRECURSORS: Roseland Ballroom/Brixton Academy

PERFECTIONS TOUR PRECURSORS: Koko, G.A.Y., Tokyo Performance, and of course... COACHELLA <333

STICKY & SWEET PRECURSORS: Roseland Ballroom II, Radio 1 Festival, Paris Olympia Hall

MDNA TOUR PRECURSOR: Super Bowl (should this count?)

With these precursors, we got a good idea of what she was gonna do on tour, although the Perfections Tour pretty much knocked everyone's sox off with the crazy equine fetishism nightmarish stuff that opened the show. Much darker than we all thought, a true Madonna moment.

Should we count the Super Bowl as a precursor? She's made it pretty clear that thematically, we won't see much of it on this show. No Gladiators, no Cleopatra, no golden throne. We're in for a HUGE SURPRISE. OMLAWD. Countdown COMMENCE

DAY 30

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

If anything, i think the technology of the Superbowl show could be an indication of what we can expect for this tour. She already said that she will not repeat the themes, but i bet that the overall feeling of a high tied direction and care with details are making their way to the MDNA tour. :thumbsup:

I can't wait!

We can definitely expect some hi-tech visuals (and the Super Bowl was BEYOND in terms of that).

But thematically we're completely in the dark. Not one performance to directly support the album outside of the Super Bowl. We have NO idea what anything is gonna look like. OML.

I'm not sure about her not repeating herself because she did mention cheerleaders (and batons) along with the slacklining. I preferred the whole Cleopatra entering Rome Vogue extravaganza at the beginning instead of the cheer section from the SB if she was going to repeat herself.

I'm not sure about her not repeating herself because she did mention cheerleaders (and batons) along with the slacklining. I preferred the whole Cleopatra entering Rome Vogue extravaganza at the beginning instead of the cheer section from the SB if she was going to repeat herself.

Those are minute details though. Pom poms/batons and a slackline are hardly big thematic talking points. Especially since pom poms were present during the Super Bowl yet she was dressed like a character out of Mortal Kombat. She's definitely going to mix it up.

Awesome thread 1251. I just can't wait for Opening night to come around the corner. It's hard to predict what each section will be like thematically based on the rumored setlists. I know this tour is gonna be fucking wild.

It'll be my first Madonna concert ever. How I've waited for this all my life!

Any tips for virgins like me?

Get the best seats you possibly can even if it means going alone.

When I first saw Madonna, I didn't dance or sing along, I just stared the whole time :lmao: Watchign Madonna shows are like watching a movie. It's not a typical concert.

You will never forget it.

I am pretty sure elements of the floor screen thing from Superbowl will be used.

The "Give me All Your Luvin'" choreog will be used - especially that thing she does in the video with the the knuckles and the wink which is so cute.

Slacklining we all know - but she'll be doing it herself.

I have a feeling she'll do "Music" in a similar fashion to Superbowl including the shuffle.

Um.. that's it I think for what I can expect to be "repeated," if you will.

It's going to be amazingtastications, iconica-frenzy and a full on HYPNOTICA* fest and don't you forget it.

* Hypnotica = word of the month in the lead up to the tour.

With these precursors, we got a good idea of what she was gonna do on tour, although the Perfections Tour pretty much knocked everyone's sox off with the crazy equine fetishism nightmarish stuff that opened the show. Much darker than we all thought, a true Madonna moment.

Didn't the W Magazine featuring the saddle dress and equine sex shoot come out before that tour kicked off? I think it did. I think we knew about that one. However, you are right - it was pure GODDESS.

I am actually very excited for what we will be getting...MDNA is a great album (creatively) despite its commercial performance thus far. And if there is one thing I trust about Madonna it's that she turns a good creative album into an even better visual performance. Add the new infusion of the Moment Factory (read: not just Jamie King's ideas) and their genius, PLUS Jean Paul Gaultier = BOOM. Fucking magic is going to shoot out that vagina on opening night.

:thumbsup:

Didn't the W Magazine featuring the saddle dress and equine sex shoot come out before that tour kicked off? I think it did. I think we knew about that one. However, you are right - it was pure GODDESS.

Indeed it did, although I dont remember any of us on here at least knowing that was going to be such a focal point of the tour. After all it was a photoshoot, not a performance, which was just amazing. Rumblings of it being a "thing" on tour came later, but no one could have predicted it was going to be as unique as it turned out to be tbh. We had no idea how she was going to incorporate all that imagery into a performance, with such unique choreography and staging. Nor could any of us have predicted that she'd OPEN the show with all that stuff, with a track like Future Lovers no less.

That was a real moment for me as a fan, because I remember around that time I was kinda wondering where her GRITTY & RAW side went, I thought she was slowly morphing into Madonna-cum-Kylie with the leotards and the pink, and then bam she pulls that out for her tour opening.

The Confessions era really was an unparalleled renaissance.

Guest bluejean

The theme of the album is DRUG music so I expect lots of incredible colourful lights and backdrops similar to what we saw on the floor screens at Superbowl. I can see the catwalk and stage floors lighting up in a similar fashion.

It is not really true 12:51 to say we don't have a clue of what to expect. She has already told us of the transgression theme, and we have seen rehearsal photos of her with a gun probably for Gang Bang. There have been afew clues here and there. But really, there are always plenty of surprises on any tour.

It's a shame she is not repeating the Cleopatra theme but I'm hoping for something equally as extravagent. The cheerleader theme may be repeated for GMAYL but I can't see it being a focal point. I'm hoping we get TIC remix of Like a Prayer like we did at Superbowl. I love that version and I think if she's going to do that song she may as well do it like that.

Guest bluejean

Oh but one thing is for sure, we are not getting a cheap looking castle and embarrassing musical theatre type "acting/dialogue" complete with a narrative that doesn't make sense (unless you're retarded) :lmao:

Guest Not4Pussies

for Drowned World who would've thought we were gonna get such a dark tour

when the Music promo performance at Roseland was so much fun!

It is not really true 12:51 to say we don't have a clue of what to expect. She has already told us of the transgression theme, and we have seen rehearsal photos of her with a gun probably for Gang Bang. There have been afew clues here and there.

We really have no idea what it's gonna look like aside from those minute details. Visually those are like .01% of something much bigger, as it is with all her tours. We don't even know costumes. I mean if someone told us that Madonna was gonna be in Geisha gear and using a gun in DWT could we have imagined what that was gonna turn out like? Not a chance.

Indeed it did, although I dont remember any of us on here at least knowing that was going to be such a focal point of the tour. After all it was a photoshoot, not a performance, which was just amazing. Rumblings of it being a "thing" on tour came later, but no one could have predicted it was going to be as unique as it turned out to be tbh. We had no idea how she was going to incorporate all that imagery into a performance, with such unique choreography and staging. Nor could any of us have predicted that she'd OPEN the show with all that stuff, with a track like Future Lovers no less.

That was a real moment for me as a fan, because I remember around that time I was kinda wondering where her GRITTY & RAW side went, I thought she was slowly morphing into Madonna-cum-Kylie with the leotards and the pink, and then bam she pulls that out for her tour opening.

The Confessions era really was an unparalleled renaissance.

Beautifully written, and my feelings exactly. Although Confessions is not among my favorite Madge reinventions at all. But those first 20 mins of that tour were just pure brilliance, style and dark joy. Unforgettable.

When I first saw Madonna, I didn't dance or sing along, I just stared the whole time :lmao: Watchign Madonna shows are like watching a movie...You will never forget it.

:thumbsup::horn: so true!

When I first saw Madonna, I didn't dance or sing along, I just stared the whole time :lmao: Watchign Madonna shows are like watching a movie. It's not a typical concert.

:thumbsup:

I did the same.

Seeing THE goddess of pop right there in front of you is a mindblowing experience....actually surreal.

To those who haven't see her, you should savour every moment because NO OTHER POP STAR you'll see afterwards comes close.

advice taken! thankyou!

Guest bluejean

We really have no idea what it's gonna look like aside from those minute details. Visually those are like .01% of something much bigger, as it is with all her tours. We don't even know costumes. I mean if someone told us that Madonna was gonna be in Geisha gear and using a gun in DWT could we have imagined what that was gonna turn out like? Not a chance.

Well we did know that and we all assumed she would be doing Nothing Really Matters. So point taken.

Jesus. I am just so excited for this tour. Not even seeing it in person, just the thrill of seeing an official setlist, photos, details and YouTube videos. I DID plan on holding back and keeping it all a surprise for when she comes to Australia but I've already given up on that :lol:

I'm sure its great seeing it without having seen footage. But then IF I had the chance to go back in time and see any of her tours in person now after seeing them a gazillion times on DVD I would still LOVE every minute. It's unrealistic to not watch it on YouTube in this day and age.

Even if the official setlist would look disappointing on paper she usually manages to execute songs in way that makes you forgive her for her song choices.

True dat :thumbsup:

Jesus. I am just so excited for this tour. Not even seeing it in person, just the thrill of seeing an official setlist, photos, details and YouTube videos. I DID plan on holding back and keeping it all a surprise for when she comes to Australia but I've already given up on that :lol:

Me too! This is my first "experience" so I won't be able to control myself anyway.

Me too! This is my first "experience" so I won't be able to control myself anyway.

Me three! There's no chance of being able to hold out until 2013! No Fucking chance :dramatic:

Me three! There's no chance of being able to hold out until 2013! No Fucking chance :dramatic:

it would be legit torture! especially trying not to view all the threads. i cant believe we still have to wait till next year. IM READY NOW!!!