Sticky and Sweet: a record breaking tour. But at what cost?

Apples388

I know that the slow ticket sales for the MDNA Tour (outside of the USA) are due to a multitude of reasons, perhaps the main one being the lack of "traditional promotion" (thanks, Guy O) for the album.

But I can't help thinking that Sticky and Sweet, as colossal and all-conquering as it was (the numbers speak for themselves), left a bit of a bad taste in the collective public's mouth - and not just because of its association with Hard Candy. As slick as the show was, it lacked some of her trademark arty/theatrical sensibilities and the focus was more on the "aerobics," if you will. I also think it officially marked the point where her creative partnership with Jamie King became stale and tired. There was a lot of "been there, done that" as well: "La Isla Bonita" rehashed choreography? "Music" mashed up with yet another recent dance hit? "Rock" reinvention of older songs in her canon? "Ray of Light" with the identical arrangement as the past tour?

(I still think that the MDNA Tour will end up breaking the record she set with Sticky and Sweet though, don't get me wrong.)

What do you think?

Great thread/point!

She need to bring it this tour and don't shoot me for bringing her up but Lady Gaga is touring this year too at the same time & Madonna's tour needs to be different from her last tour and also be special if she wants to keep touring with these numbers. Sticky wasn't for me her best tour it didn't feel authentic, different like all her shows usually are.

I'm sure she's bringing out the big guns on this tour as it's her bread and butter now & thank god for that as that is where the money is in the music business!

I know that the slow ticket sales for the MDNA Tour (outside of the USA) are due to a multitude of reasons, perhaps the main one being the lack of "traditional promotion" (thanks, Guy O) for the album.

But I can't help thinking that Sticky and Sweet, as colossal and all-conquering as it was (the numbers speak for themselves), left a bit of a bad taste in the collective public's mouth - and not just because of its association with Hard Candy. As slick as the show was, it lacked some of her trademark arty/theatrical sensibilities and the focus was more on the "aerobics," if you will. I also think it officially marked the point where her creative partnership with Jamie King became stale and tired. There was a lot of "been there, done that" as well: "La Isla Bonita" rehashed choreography? "Music" mashed up with yet another recent dance hit? "Rock" reinvention of older songs in her canon? "Ray of Light" with the identical arrangement as the past tour?

(I still think that the MDNA Tour will end up breaking the record she set with Sticky and Sweet though, don't get me wrong.)

What do you think?

Only die hard fans think along those lines. The public may not have the money to splurge on a luxury item as a new Madonna concert.

I think for her next tour she should get back to a more theatrical and artistic way of doing things. Something that I feel has been lacking on her tours since 2001. Whilst I found the Sticky & Sweet show entertaining,there was nothing about the show that I felt truly lingered in my memory,the costumes and choregraphy were uninspired,and there were ( for me at least) no iconic "Madonna" moments such as the Drowned World flying/fight sequence or the Live To Tell crucifxion number,as seen on The Confessions Tour. These moments seemed to truly capture both the media and the fans imaginations,and garnered her a lot of media exposure.

Madonna's deal with Live Nation expires in 2017,which is just 5 years away,so if we're lucky we'll get 2 more tours from Madonna. Therefore I would love the next tour (would probably take place in 2015) to just have a strong sense of drama and theatre about it in the way that the Blonde Ambition,Girlie Show & Drowned World had about them. As for her tour after that (lets say 2017) I would actually like her to do a mammoth 150 date greatest hits/farewell tour,and sing nothing but all of her hits,as a thank you to all of her fans,it would probably be a huge success (I think it could be the first tour to gross a $1billion) and be a graceful way to end her touring career. I think it's always best to leave your audience wanting more. What do u guys think? X

I think for her next tour she should get back to a more theatrical and artistic way of doing things. Something that I feel has been lacking on her tours since 2001. Whilst I found the Sticky & Sweet show entertaining,there was nothing about the show that I felt truly lingered in my memory,the costumes and choregraphy were uninspired,and there were ( for me at least) no iconic "Madonna" moments such as the Drowned World flying/fight sequence or the Live To Tell crucifxion number,as seen on The Confessions Tour. These moments seemed to truly capture both the media and the fans imaginations,and garnered her a lot of media exposure.

Madonna's deal with Live Nation expires in 2017,which is just 5 years away,so if we're lucky we'll get 2 more tours from Madonna. Therefore I would love the next tour (would probably take place in 2015) to just have a strong sense of drama and theatre about it in the way that the Blonde Ambition,Girlie Show & Drowned World had about them. As for her tour after that (lets say 2017) I would actually like her to do a mammoth 150 date greatest hits/farewell tour,and sing nothing but all of her hits,as a thank you to all of her fans,it would probably be a huge success (I think it could be the first tour to gross a $1billion) and be a graceful way to end her touring career. I think it's always best to leave your audience wanting more. What do u guys think? X

I don't think Madonna at 53 will only do 1 more tour after this summer's tour. Highly unlikely. She's dating a 24 year and still think she's only a couple of years older than him spiritually ofcourse ;)

I thought the Live Nation deal was to keep her until 2017?

Yes but if I'm not mistaken the deal is for 3 albums and (I'm guessing) 3 tours.

She's already done one tour (2 if you count MDNA Tour as it will be underway shortly) and one album, which leaves 2 albums and 1 tour to take her up to 2017. Unless the number of tours is 4.

I'm speculating here - please correct me if anyone knows better.

Yes but if I'm not mistaken the deal is for 3 albums and (I'm guessing) 3 tours.

She's already done one tour (2 if you count MDNA Tour as it will be underway shortly) and one album, which leaves 2 albums and 1 tour to take her up to 2017. Unless the number of tours is 4.

I'm speculating here - please correct me if anyone knows better.

the numbers of tours is 4. it was signed in 2007, and sticky and sweet was the first.

Ive got a crap memory but im sure it was 4 tours.

Anyways sticky and sweet had its moments and was fun, I went a couple of times. The second leg was better. Yep she needed to lay off the guitar but she has had feedback about it (she even replied to Perez) I dont know whether she has listened. I thought the graphics, screens and costumes were not as good as usual but her dancing was amazing, she really worked it.

I think looking back she was going through a really tough time, we all knew a divorce was coming but not spoken of, the adoption nightmare ect this time I think and hope she is back to 'Madonna' shes putting the work into it thats for sure.

didn't a lot of european fans have bad experiences with the S&S tour? not so much the show itself, but seats, not being able to hear/see, not able to get home from venues etc... seemed any negativity towards the show came from european fans for those reason. That may be why sales slowed there.

Sticky & Sweet was my third Madonna tour and for me, it was the best. I travelled to Europe from Australia to see it and it was worth every cent I paid for the flights, accommodation and Hot Tickets for Dusseldorf and Rome. The set list was amazing (I didn't care that I was seeing "La Isla Bonita" for the third time, or ROL, Music, Hung Up and Vogue for the second). The show was a tonne of fun and I enjoyed every second. I know S&S is maligned by a lot of fans, but I really did love it.

As for the LN contract, it is for four tours and three albums (essentially, three of each once Madonna's contract with Warners expired, since she was still officially a Warners artist until "Celebration" was released in September 2009, which is also when S&S 2.0 finished). I'm not sure that 2017 was ever actually specified as the end date of the contract - I only ever remember seeing "over a 10-year period" specified.

the numbers of tours is 4. it was signed in 2007, and sticky and sweet was the first.

That is correct. When Live Nation did a stockholders conference call (shortly after the deal was announced), they said they intended for Madonna to do 4 tours over the length of the deal. So it would look like this...

1. S&S 2008 (apparently 2009's extension was a one off deal and doesn't count as a separate tour)

2. MDNA Tour 2012-13

3. ???

4. ???

It would make sense too as they are releasing 3 studio albums and each would get its own tour. I often wonder if Madonna will tour into her 60's.

didn't a lot of european fans have bad experiences with the S&S tour? not so much the show itself, but seats, not being able to hear/see, not able to get home from venues etc... seemed any negativity towards the show came from european fans for those reason. That may be why sales slowed there.

It does seem like most complaints came from the stadium gigs (which were primarily in Europe). Just my recollection.

my main problems with S&S were:

1-Arenas! We need arenas for these kind of shows!!! this is not a rock concert! ok, they´ll earn more monery at a stadium, but...I don´t think people enjoy the shows in the same way, not only because they can´t see her,but because the sound is not the same, and the lights of the show don´t work so well in daylight

2-Clothes: uninspired??? please! that is too generous! especially the one for Heartbeat and 4 minutes...

3-The setlist and some of the versions she sang:ROL again? how come they destroyed HU that way?

4-I think they were aware of some of these things, and they changed the setlist a little bit later on the show, adding Frozen and Holiday (by the way, Holiday sounded a little bit boring here, is the first time that I have this feeling with this song).They also changed some of the clothes, I´m remembering now that the clothes for Candy shop suffered a great improvement in the second leg.They even changed some of the background screens (only the one in CS?), in my opinion, to make it look better during daylight...

It does seem like most complaints came from the stadium gigs (which were primarily in Europe). Just my recollection.

You can´t see her, and in some cases, you can´t Hear her! remember London´s problems with the sound???????? and some places are used to have the best or most famous artists of the world every year, I mean, all the artists go to london and paris, so that people are more critic, and they know that she will be back in their city in two years time, so why by super expensive tickets to see practically nothing?

Guest jazzthief

That is correct. When Live Nation did a stockholders conference call (shortly after the deal was announced), they said they intended for Madonna to do 4 tours over the length of the deal. So it would look like this...

but in practice that makes no sense to me. I think in those kind of deals the number of shows matters, not the number of tours. considering her average shows per tour until this deal is about 60, i speculate that she has to fulfill about 4x60 shows within ten years.

In this case i think the tourography within this deal will be like,

2008-2009, SS, 85 shows

2012-2013, MDNA, about 90 shows incl. south america and australia (currently 76 announced)

2016-2017, a deal closer 60+ gig tour.

and than, happy sweet sixty for the queen.

...sure, this is just a bored crazy math speculation - i have no source for confirmation. but then, dont she always make it up for me?

the best one for me was confession tour couse it was in arena...it has very low stage....sound was incredible...i was in first row and it was like i m on stage how close it was...but..then stupid golden circles came later...stupid stadions where you cant see very good the show if you are on the ground..and sound isn t pretty.

i rembember 3 tour but anyway...

...this era is full of overcryticism and overanalysis.

yes, M tours are not rock tours and better designed for arenas, but if people thinks to see her from the opposite of a stadium big and large..well...it's not madonna's fault, and the music remains still entertaining. and jamie king? the 80s NYC segment with the keith harrings backdrop was beyond fabulous nad the show was great and entertaining, so really don't complain about jamie king. moreover, she put some songs on all of her tours, true. but so do all singers in the world (and really hope to see LAP and music again!!)!!!

the concert isn't selling well, or should i have to say not extraordinary well in europe more because of the economic crysis than for other reasons (and with that prices...). if we want to talk about promotion, that's another thing.

hope everybody will enjoy the show (in btw, it will be a success even with few non sellout show......). all of this, imo

What do you think?

Well I beg 2 differ (somewhat) I think Sticky is where she went of the blue print a little, section wise. She opened up her format in what became her most straight

forward show next 2 WTG and RIT. I think the album got in the way more than anything...as far as the general public is concerned at least. I think CT was a lot more

static. I really appreciate the physicality and energy on Sticky...she seemed 2 really enjoy herself...I hadn't seen her like that since the GS.

But the whole mash up thing is getting tired...what's wrong with just playing the record with a kick ass band, it'll always b different than the album but don't lobotomize the shit out of it. :fag: It's not like we ever heard Borderline live b4...and then she goes all Avril Lavigne on us :rolleyes:

i can't believe you guys can't remember the Live Nation deal... it is for 4 TOURS and 3 ALBUMS...

Sticky & Sweet was the first one promoting a WBR album in HC... then a tour for each 3 LiveNation album

i can't believe you guys can't remember the Live Nation deal... it is for 4 TOURS and 3 ALBUMS...

Sticky & Sweet was the first one promoting a WBR album in HC... then a tour for each 3 LiveNation album

call the Madonna police! now! :fag:

Well I beg 2 differ (somewhat) I think Sticky is where she went of the blue print a little, section wise. She opened up her format in what became her most straight

forward show next 2 WTG and RIT. I think the album got in the way more than anything...as far as the general public is concerned at least. I think CT was a lot more

static. I really appreciate the physicality and energy on Sticky...she seemed 2 really enjoy herself...I hadn't seen her like that since the GS.

But the whole mash up thing is getting tired...what's wrong with just playing the record with a kick ass band, it'll always b different than the album but don't lobotomize the shit out of it. :fag: It's not like we ever heard Borderline live b4...and then she goes all Avril Lavigne on us :rolleyes:

I have to agree the whole mash up thing is boring now and her current band minus Monte sucks!

Guest bluejean

I think its only natural that with Madonna touring more regularly than she used to that demand is declining abit. Along with the fact that she isn't having hit singles anymore. I don't think it has alot to do with the quality of the show. Now in retrospect its a pretty bland tour production wise, the opening was particularly dull. But it did feature a very decent amount of her biggest hits and was quite a crowd pleaser. I'm sure the average person would have enjoyed the show especially in countries that she hadn't visited in a long time. If you check tours by other heritage acts like George Michael, Prince and U2 they aren't exactly doing more creative stage shows than Madonna. (Much less so.)

Guest bluejean

And while we're on the subject of S&S, I listened to the audio CD today (by coincidence) and I have to admit I was thoroughly enjoying the Hard Candy tracks. Now I never especially hated Hard Candy (not as good as MDNA) but I always LOVED the live versions even more. Apart from 4 Minutes :lol:

Such energy in the live arrangements. And yes I agree, she needs to do the original versions of the classics this time around. And by original I don't mean Reinvention type original, I mean Superbowl.

However I don't mind genuine reinventions in the vein of Like a Virgin Confessions which takes the essence of the original and makes it new.

And while we're on the subject of S&S, I listened to the audio CD today (by coincidence) and I have to admit I was thoroughly enjoying the Hard Candy tracks. Now I never especially hated Hard Candy (not as good as MDNA) but I always LOVED the live versions even more.

me too! :thumbsup: