MDNA Promo Discussion - "non-traditional campaign"?

Apples388

It's a shame the album got shafted like that since it's a good album. But as I said before, the most worrying part to ME is that Madonna is being a little short sighted with this whole album vs touring thing. I realize albums don't sell (please neutrocks not another essay) but if you don't want to cross over into Rolling Stone territory completely, you need to be present in the pop scene. Even U2 have songs that are somewhat succesful on their albums, don't they? If Madonna said FUCK THAT to pushing this album, I just hope she doesn't say FUCK THAT to MAKING an album or a worthwhile album next time. I mean albums don't sell, right Kurt?

I don't think it's an issue of making good music since clearly MDNA proves she's still got ideas, I think it's moreso her losing interesting in the selling of it. She's rather making her money from her music the best way she knows how - by touring with it. I mean she keeps saying how touring is her day job.

What annoys me more than the lack of promotion is her laziness with the medium she practically help shape- the music videos. So far this era, she's 2 for 2, but if she stops there, I'll be pist. And yeah like I said before, SHE NEEDS A HIT BAD.

AND I just wanna say that here it is in 2012....Michael and Whitney are six feet underground.....Mariah and Janet are out plugging their weight loss....and Prince hasn't released anything decent in nearly 20 years (thank God he performs like none other). These were/are her biggest contemporaries and Madonna just scored the second biggest opening week she's ever had, her 38th top ten and some of the best reviews of her 30 year musical career and we have the audacity to sit here and bitch that she's not going on Ellen??

BITCH PLEASE!

True. Maybe she'll do a Greatest Hits tour next. I'm in the minority but I'd be up for that actually.

Omg please, please no :lol: She did that with Reinvention anyway.

Maybe for her last tour ever, like Share did. But idk, Greatest Hits tours are so effing CORNY...

Guest bluejean

I don't think it's an issue of making good music since clearly MDNA proves she's still got ideas, I think it's moreso her losing interesting in the selling of it.

But she did go to the effort to record cookie cutter pop songs like GGW to feature on the album, one which we now know for a fact she had very little involvement in writing. Perhaps she thought that's all it would take to sell it?

Guest bluejean

Omg please, please no :lol: She did that with Reinvention anyway.

Maybe for her last tour ever, like Share did. But idk, Greatest Hits tours are so effing CORNY...

Why would it have to be corny? Look at The Superbowl, that was 3 of her biggest hits performed in their original versions and that was nothing short of spectacular.

How many songs from the current album are we expecting to get this time around now that its officially a flop? I'm a thinking 8/20, abit less than the last few tours.

Interesting that he was tweeting about a performance on TV though. Would be bizarre if that actually happened.

too little too late, the album is BOMBING. shame.

Why would it have to be corny? Look at The Superbowl, that was 3 of her biggest hits performed in their original versions and that was nothing short of spectacular.

How many songs from the current album are we expecting to get this time around now that its officially a flop? I'm a thinking 8/20, abit less than the last few tours.

You're right about the Super Bowl, though I think stretching that out over 90 minutes would end up being cheesy like Reinvention. I think Madonna shows are definitely padded by new material - the casual fans stuck in the 80s may not appreciate it when they look at the setlist but in context of the show it's always brilliant.

As for how much of MDNA is on the tour, I hope it's a lot. I think Madonna kept RIT light on American Life material because it was such a sleepy album in general, full of acoustic numbers that would bore people to tears who came to a Madonna show to see her twurk and mince. Hard Candy was hardly an album cycle comparable to Perfections which had 4 sizeable hits on it (Hard Candy only had 1), yet she did the majority of that album regardless. I hope it's the same this time around. MDNA sounds like it was made to be toured with.

too little too late, the album is BOMBING. shame.

Here in the US, a good performance on a high profile tv program is all one needs to spike one's sales tbh. It would definitely help. But we all know it won't happen so whatever *fannyfarts over to Yankee Stadium for the tour*

I can't believe this 88 % thing is a global headline...just read in a serious newspaper that the majority

of 1st week sales were due 2 ticket sales...:rolleyes: & I can't believe FORBES of all publications is at

the basis this inaccuracy.

I can't believe this 88 % thing is a global headline...just read in a serious newspaper that the majority

of 1st week sales were due 2 ticket sales... :rolleyes: & I can't believe FORBES of all publications is at

the basis this inaccuracy.

That's what I really hate the most: all of this negative publicity in the media,thanks to Roger Friedman and his scathing articles.MDNA is a superb album that doesn't deserve this type of media bashing.

AND I just wanna say that here it is in 2012....Michael and Whitney are six feet underground.....Mariah and Janet are out plugging their weight loss....and Prince hasn't released anything decent in nearly 20 years (thank God he performs like none other). These were/are her biggest contemporaries and Madonna just scored the second biggest opening week she's ever had, her 38th top ten and some of the best reviews of her 30 year musical career and we have the audacity to sit here and bitch that she's not going on Ellen??

BITCH PLEASE!

Yes sweetie we all know Madonna has outlasted and in some cases outlived her competition and that's amazing but since she IS getting the best reviews of her career wouldn't it be nice to have something to show for it? And it's not about Ellen which I wouldn't want her to do anyway, it's about having SOMETHING in place, even when your big star is unavailable. It's so weird to me that Interscope didn't have a plan beyond the Superbowl, I'm sure they would love nothing more than having Madonna's first album with them be a hit. I won't even talk about GUY OSEARY since he is obviously useless.

True. Maybe she'll do a Greatest Hits tour next. I'm in the minority but I'd be up for that actually.

I bet they are throwing some big hits on the setlist for the mdna tour as we speak after all the bad press. :lol:

Maybe we'll get Ray Of Light on the guitar with the same backdrop for the 3rd time? :demonic:

That's what I really hate the most: all of this negative publicity in the media,thanks to Roger Friedman and his scathing articles.MDNA is a superb album that doesn't deserve this type of media bashing.

No one is bashing its contents though, they're bashing its dismal chart performance which, regardless of the EMAILS Supernatural surely has been attaching to hundreds of emails trying to get Friedman fired, is fact.

It's a shame the album got shafted like that since it's a good album. But as I said before, the most worrying part to ME is that Madonna is being a little short sighted with this whole album vs touring thing. I realize albums don't sell (please neutrocks not another essay) but if you don't want to cross over into Rolling Stone territory completely, you need to be present in the pop scene. Even U2 have songs that are somewhat succesful on their albums, don't they? If Madonna said FUCK THAT to pushing this album, I just hope she doesn't say FUCK THAT to MAKING an album or a worthwhile album next time. I mean albums don't sell, right Kurt?

I think she's smart enough to stay present in the pop scene, she's Madonna the pop culture juggernaut for goodness sakes, she'll always keep herself out there somehow. And no albums don't sell :lol: . MDNA dropped 88% and still stays in the Top 10, that says a lot about the market in itself. She still has that passion for music and specifically performing and I don't see that passion dying anytime soon. Unless she's planning on reading her children's books to us when on stage from here on out, then I don't think we'll have to worry about her saying "fuck that" to making an album. I don't think she has ever set out to make a bad album or been on autopilot (despite popular opinion) during the creation of any of her albums. I think she just does what she feels and if it connects great. Another thing is, if you look at her videos and live performances over the years, it's pretty obvious she's always enjoyed creating the visuals for her songs the most. More so than even her recorded music, I think it's her reputation as a live performer that has kept her at the status she's at. Now that the industry is more tour focused, it would seem like a win win for her to be able to focus on what she loves most AND what earns her the most money.

Look, I think it sucks too that her hits over the years have gradually gotten more and more sparse, the album sales dwindling, her finger sometimes is beside the pulse instead of always being on it :) but to me it's just unrealistic and a bit irrational to place the same expectations on her that were placed on her in the 80's and 90's. It sucks to say but with all the strikes against her all the promotion in the world wouldn't help her to reach her past highs. Times are different, industry is different, she's different with different top priorities, her fans are different...shit changes.

Guest bluejean

You're right about the Super Bowl, though I think stretching that out over 90 minutes would end up being cheesy like Reinvention. I think Madonna shows are definitely padded by new material - the casual fans stuck in the 80s may not appreciate it when they look at the setlist but in context of the show it's always brilliant.

I suppose that's the thing with a Madonna show, as she stated in that recent interview she picks the themes of the show first and then builds the setlist around that. I guess that's why Reinvention really fell flat because by the final section it was just a matter of slapping together her hits with no real theme whatsoever (unless you want to count Scottish bagpipes and flags of the world as a theme - I don't.) So in saying that a Greatest Hits tour would need to be put together very carefully to avoid being uninspired shit. But I do think its possible to do it without it being Cher esque.

Anyway clearly she won't be doing that this tour, I don't see her changing her ideas based on lack of sales of MDNA. She would know very well the fans love this album and they are predominantly the ones going to see the show. So we can expect a good chunk of the setlist to be MDNA material. The question is simply how much of it?

Guest bluejean

it's just unrealistic and a bit irrational to place the same expectations on her that were placed on her in the 80's and 90's. Times are different, industry is different, she's different with different top priorities, her fans are different...shit changes.

Yes exactly. No artist stays on top forever, some fans are clearly getting their egos bruised with this Lady Gaga stan wars stuff. I find it quite sad personally, the average sane person is probably fans of both.

I think my ambivalence about a Greatest Hits tour stems from the fact that I have heard all of her "Greatest Hits" SO MANY FUCKING TIMES. Madonna isn't like the Rolling Stones or U2, her biggest hits are overplayed TO THIS DAY. I know casual fans don't feel that way, but do I really need to hear Like A Prayer, Holiday, Material Girl, and Like A Virgin AGAIN? :lol: I prefer her current format: 9-10 songs from the current album, 4-5 songs from the last decade, 7-9 bigtime classics.

Guest bluejean

Well I'm in Australia and I haven't experienced any of them live in person. That's probably why a Greatest Hits tour appeals to me.

And I do listen to all her old hits as well as the newer stuff. I never really get sick of anything she's done :lol:

She'll realize she needs to let people know she has an album out once she plays to half empty stadiums in Europe. She's struggling to sell tickets in many markets because they've been oversaturated with the last few tours. People were willing to pay huge amounts just "to see Madonna", but now that she's toured so often this has changed. Not having a hit or new songs played on the radio etc as an incentive, why would anyone that saw her last few tours be motivated to see her again, and pay even more for it?

I will have to go to 3 out of 4 shows alone because no one wants to pay that kind of money to see her again

She'll realize she needs to let people know she has an album out once she plays to half empty stadiums in Europe. She's struggling to sell tickets in many markets because they've been oversaturated with the last few tours. People were willing to pay huge amounts just "to see Madonna", but now that she's toured so often this has changed.

As I've said many times, it wouldn't hurt to LET PEOPLE KNOW there's an album out and a tour coming. That doesn't necessarily need to be performances or talk shows - just make the album more visible.

I will have to go to 3 out of 4 shows alone because no one wants to pay that kind of money to see her again

Is she really struggling to sell tix in Europe? :confused:

I think my ambivalence about a Greatest Hits tour stems from the fact that I have heard all of her "Greatest Hits" SO MANY FUCKING TIMES. Madonna isn't like the Rolling Stones or U2, her biggest hits are overplayed TO THIS DAY. I know casual fans don't feel that way, but do I really need to hear Like A Prayer, Holiday, Material Girl, and Like A Virgin AGAIN? :lol: I prefer her current format: 9-10 songs from the current album, 4-5 songs from the last decade, 7-9 bigtime classics.

Yeah, I feel the same way. I'm so much more stoked about hearing any of the MDNA songs as opposed to Music and Vogue again :lol:. It feels odd to say that because the old stuff is some of the best pop music ever created but we will likely never see a lot of these songs performed live again after this tour (as is usually the case). It's nice to be able to look back and have performances of almost all her songs instead just the hits like many artists.

Yes, unfortunately

I don't wanna jump on the OMG OMG SHES FLOPPING bandwagon, but for the concert in Vienna which went on sale directly after the SB there are still plenty of tickets available for ALL categories including GC/Early Access. That would never have happened during CT or S&S. I have heard similar stories about other European locations.

Her coming on tour is not that big a deal anymore so people seem reluctant to pay the amounts she charges - especially if there's no new hit serving as an incentive

Paris isn't sold out, as Nice. You still find seats, not good ones, but still. From my european perspective, I thought she was more successfull in the US this time. If you said the contrary, then Madonna has to find a new market like Asia, Africa or Groenland for us to agree...

In my humble opinion she really needs a hit. gmayl was her worst leader song in Europe, ggw is a good song but just meh, I was convinced by tutr but right now I don't know, I think she should have stolen "Somebody that I used to know" from Gotye or all adele's 21 album and called it 53. well, who know

Yes exactly. No artist stays on top forever, some fans are clearly getting their egos bruised with this Lady Gaga stan wars stuff. I find it quite sad personally, the average sane person is probably fans of both.

Yes, most people I know don't hate one because of the other. The fact that Madonna's fans expect her to rival Gaga commercially these days is ridiculous and it's quite telling that some of Gaga's monsters feel threatened by a 53 year old pop star far past her commercial peak. THE POWER OF MADONNA....even when she's "flopping" she's the one the little pop whores have to beat.

Can someone tell me what the fuck is happening here in the UK with this album and potential singles? It is one of her biggest markets and two weeks post album release I hear nothing.

I know her tour dates have sold well, Edinburgh is near sold out with only seats at the back of the stadium left, I am sure Hyde Park will have at least 50,000 people at it and Birmingham has sold well, but she can do so much more.

Yes, most people I know don't hate one because of the other. The fact that Madonna's fans expect her to rival Gaga commercially these days is ridiculous and it's quite telling that some of Gaga's monsters feel threatened by a 53 year old pop star far past her commercial peak. THE POWER OF MADONNA....even when she's "flopping" she's the one the little pop whores have to beat.

Quite frankly I think it's the opposite, it's ridiculous that fans of a woman that has NOTHING LEFT TO PROVE are so obsessed with ruthlessly and relentlessly attacking a brand new girl that dares to have success. But you get idiots on both sides I guess

OH WELL WHAT CAN YOU DO

I'm wondering if Madonna is aware of the poor performance. She says she doesn't watch TV or read magazines. She will be getting her updates from Guy and there are enough positives for her to keep thinking the album is performing well - number one worldwide, highest debut sales of 2012 in US etc.

How much does she know?

I can definitely do without those...But there's enough hits in her canon that she hasn't done or not enough.

I think in an Arena her format is perfect, but for a STADIUM it's kinda hard 4 casual fans. Not for me of course :fag:

I'd go 2 S&S part III, like NOW. :D

And yes the tour is still struggling here, although MDNA is the best selling album 4 the second week in a row :angel: