MDNA Promo Discussion - "non-traditional campaign"?

Apples388

Guest Xanthium

If Madonna doesn't want to do promo, fine. I'm over it. There's plenty of other artists out there who will do lots of promo (*cough*LadyGaga*cough*) and fulfill my needs. I love MDNA (minus a few songs) and I'm sure the tour will be AMAZEBALLS.

i think the gun is being jumped. what if the album could debut at #1 without promo and then just when u think it's over - bam, huge promo campaign to put it back on the map. i'm ok with being wrong, but who knows what's gonna happen.

You're onto something though... maybe not promotional wise, but between the tour and a possible future single, it could definitely bring back the album to new heights. I'm not saying that will happen, but there have been plenty of successful albums that have slowly become huge successes. And let's not forget that many successful albums in the past used to not do their biggest sales on the first week.

Anyway, I do feel like we're jumping the gun since we're still riding high from the initial release here. Next week it will fall from number one, but it will still remain in the top 10. It's possible it can still hang on in the top ten for a number of weeks. Anything can happen.

Bottom line: If Madonna is not concerned about doing traditional promo, then why in the hell should fans be?

Can I get an Amen in here?

And, indeed- I expect the tour to be nothing less than fantastic.

Bottom line: If Madonna is not concerned about doing traditional promo, then why in the hell should fans be?

Amen. :bow:

This is the right attitude :thumbsup: We gotta just enjoy the album and look forward to the tour (which we know will be amazing).

fans at the perfume launch are able to ask her questions in person, should be interesting

The really interesting thing is that she is actually doing the perfume launch. If you take what Guy says as wisdom (if we do TV the show won't be ready, so...), fans with tickets for Israel and the UAE should be worried of cancellations :-P

taking 2 or 3 days off to do press a junkit and tv appearances would've been enough and what gets me is that they didn't even bother to do magazine cover shoot/ interviews

She has a history of cross using photoshoots for magazines and her own stuff. She didn't make ONE single cover this time, and this can't be due to lack of time because she did those photoshoots anyway. Dunno, maybe part of the genious unconventional promo is not having her face on any magazine so people will be forced to buy the album to look at the booklet.

I think Bluejean really hit the nail on the head there. The major caveat in the story is that Madonna's team had no idea that GMAYL would be such a huge flop. Which is a bit bizarre because, if anything, they should have internalised the reaction from the leaked demo (which was mostly negative, let's face it) and come up with a Plan B.

Most of all, they should have estimated the real potential danger of the leak. Which they didn't. There was an initial rush to shut down all the illegal downloads, then there was a change in the guidelines from the HO: "it's just a demo, so it's not dangerous". And downloads started appearing anywhere from Perez to my aunt's personal blog.

GMAYL flopped in terms of sale even more than in terms of audience reception.

You can't be serious? That's where the money is made. Looking at the current scene of lacking record sales, they knew exactly what to aim for. TOUR!

Sorry but I'm not buying this anymore. It was like this three or four years ago, but then a series of new acts proved that you can STILL sell a shitload of copies of the right single and album. The only question is if Madonna is still able to. Without ticket bundling.

Additionally, please let me stress on the fact that ALL the limited, revolutionary promotion was aimed to the US market. An absolute nothing was done for any other territory. And the uncoventional campaign paid well: GMAYL sales with the album pre-order were cut off the UK sales, the album stopped at #2 in France, her first not-number-one in ages, and didn't reach #1 in Germany either.

What worries me is that this will only help Guy to convince Madonna that music doesn't sell anymore. Well, apparently not even her tour does. Dead end.

Amen. :inlove:

AMEN

Although I find the conversation happening here very interesting,

These are my feelings!

And the tour - what with Arianne and Madonna herself has said about it - I cannot wait.

It's as simple as that really. She's made an album I (and many others) consider to be one of the best she has ever given us and she's about to embark on the longest tour she's ever done. As long as the music is still good and she can still rock it on stage the rest really doesn't matter.

Much like COADF, this album has great word of mouth that in itself should keep it from free falling like a stone like AL did. Much like the past 2 albums I believe the tour will also stabilize it, even if it just hangs at the bottom of the Top 200. There is no way COADF and HC would've charted as long as they did without the tours that supported them. Her tours may not sky rocket her albums back to the top 10 but they do keep them hanging around a lot longer than they would.

this is like saying "If Madonna is not concerned about doing music anymore, then why in the hell should fans be?" :manson:

From M Tribe

Macy's Herald Square in New York City is having a private gathering with Madonna as she introduces her new fragrance, Truth or Dare on Thursday, April 12 at 8 PM,

On Wednesday April 11th, be one of the first 200 customers to purchase the exclusive $151 all access "Truth or Dare?" package which includes a 2.5 fl oz eau de parfum spray, 1.7 fl oz eau de parfum spray, 6.7 fl oz body lotion, collectors edition t-shirt, deluxe version of Madonnas new album, MDNA, and Truth or Dare documentary on blu-ray disc.

With purchase, you will receive a VIP pass to attend this exclusive event where 10 lucky guests will ask a question of the ultimate pop icon!

Check out Macys.com for further info and details.

So they are " focused on the tour" but she still finds time to promote her latest perfume

:lmao:

I know it sounds like I'm saying she is trying to transition into dinosaur status with the Rolling Stones and rely on nostalgia but I don't think that's what's gonna happen.

All I ask is for her to visit my country for at least one time. Stop ignoring us for so long! :lol:

TV and radio are only important to gain support from the casuals. But I can accept if the tour is going to be the driving force. She's breaking more records with each tour and I think I can live with that goal of hers.

If she does traditional promo then that would be nice. But I'm not expecting it.

HG, now sashay away! :americanlife:

Guest bluejean

Ah, so she's doing perfume promo. Interesting. There has to be an actual reason why she's not doing promo for this album then. Even if its simply that she CBF.

Amen :thumbsup:

I don't care anymore about promo. If she doesn't want to do it, it's good for me. 740k first week is already amazing and tbh, 1 million WW would already be great for me. I hope she can sold more but if she doesn't, i'm certainly not gonna stop being a fan. Sales doesn't mean anything for her at this point.

And yeah, the tour will be AMAZING, i'm confident about it :thumbsup:

Guy's excuse about lacking time is lame since they could've started the tour a month or two later. Clearly they simply don't care and focus 100% on the tour.

I agree. I think it's strange that they started tour rehearsal so early. It must have been a contractual thing with Live Nation. I blame Guy for not planning that better.

Amen! Bring on the Tour!!

Guest groovyguy

AMEN!

From M Tribe

Macy's Herald Square in New York City is having a private gathering with Madonna as she introduces her new fragrance, Truth or Dare on Thursday, April 12 at 8 PM,

On Wednesday April 11th, be one of the first 200 customers to purchase the exclusive $151 all access "Truth or Dare?" package which includes a 2.5 fl oz eau de parfum spray, 1.7 fl oz eau de parfum spray, 6.7 fl oz body lotion, collectors edition t-shirt, deluxe version of Madonnas new album, MDNA, and Truth or Dare documentary on blu-ray disc.

With purchase, you will receive a VIP pass to attend this exclusive event where 10 lucky guests will ask a question of the ultimate pop icon!

Check out Macys.com for further info and details.

So they are " focused on the tour" but she still finds time to promote her latest perfume

exactly. how reductive. oh, maybe this is another non-traditional promo for MDNA.

Also, as part of the contract with Macy's to sell the perfume, she is probably legally obligated to do a promotional appearance.

Guest bluejean

You would think that Interscope and or Live Nation would have her legally obligated to promote her album too. That's how it happens with movies.

Some of you seemed obsessed with her going on Ellen or talking to Diane Sawyer or whatever it is you want her to do.....does it make the music better for you?? I understand wanting to see her do well but some of you seem fucking obsessed with her not promoting this record. Is it a worry of her not being viewed as successful?? I don't get the obsession. The era is going to be viewed as a success, too much good stuff has already happened for it not to. Album sales are almost secondary these days in terms of defining success of her "eras". Welcome to 2012...welcome to 2008 for that matter. Deal with it!! :americanlife:;)

A kick ass album with lots of bonus tracks/alternate versions, plus 2 kick ass videos (and the album has been out just 2 wks) should be enough. Geez...weren't we all complaining about her videos sucking for like eons now??

You would think that Interscope and or Live Nation would have her legally obligated to promote her album too. That's how it happens with movies.

As far as Interscope is concerned, having the name MADONNA plastered across the front of the CD may be promo enough! ;)