MDNA Promo Discussion - "non-traditional campaign"?

Apples388

Because her tours make no difference to her album sales and haven't done for quite a while. This is a great album that is sinking suddenly. Although album sales overall are dropping, individual single sales are now soaring as you can pick and choose which tracks you buy thanks to iTunes. However, even that way, Madonna's not selling well. The first two singles have tanked.

If all she is bothered about is touring to make money, why bother with a new album? She has a vast back catalogue she can promote.

But again, you are FOCUSED on Album sales. I'm not! It's all about the tour these days. Not that I'm obsessed with how much she makes for the tour, but this is where she's concentrating. She knows these days albums don't sell, so she's going straight to the tour where the money is being made. Why is it so hard to grab that concept? The albums sales mean squat these days. If that is all you're going to focus on regarding Madonna's success, you're going to be deeply frustrated and disappointed. But I'm sure Madonna isn't as along as she's making millions more with her concerts.

At the end of it all, if the album/single/tour flops, the album/single/tour flops. That's Madonna's problem, she's going to be the one who has to deal with the consequences. SHE'S losing money, not any of us. I do want her to do as well as she can and make a bajillion dollars, but if she doesn't want to whore herself on TV, I can't say I blame her. You've seen how sick Rihanna/Gaga/Adele/etc. get because of that, and mama has four kids she needs to raise. Besides, she delivered a quality album that I LOVE, has delivered quality videos that I LOVE, some of her best photoshoots EVER, amazing pop culture moments and I'm sure the tour (my first) is going to murder. That's ALL that matters to ME. Sure, that's selfish, but I can't say I really care. :dazed:

I could be wrong, but I think people and the press are putting the nail in the coffin of MDNA a little early. I still have faith that something can happen to turn the tide.

I hope.....

It dropped 86.7%, not 88%, in its second week in the USA- let's keep the facts straight. :D

The album in no way will return to the U.S. top five- just as none of her other albums in the SoundScan era have after dropping out of the top 10. A performance on The Voice would be fine (though I'd then have to watch that nonsense)- but surprising it wouldn't be Idol, as Jimmy Iovine is on there.

SHE'S losing money

In the end she will not. The tour will be another huge sucess and she will surely be in the Forbes's top list by the end of the year. I don't know about her next tour though, but this one is a surefire money machine. And we will all be there enjoying our queen. :)

534612_387327571299555_209112405787740_1205613_1527462744_n.jpg

534612_387327571299555_209112405787740_1205613_1527462744_n.jpg

You just know Madonna is going to tour into her late 60s and 70s. Its going to be funny as hell looking out at the crowd seeing a sea of nothing but old gay men dancing around. :lol: (Ill be one of them)

Yesterday I had a sunday lunch with my mum and sister, they know I like Madonna, and they asked me why her last album was a total flop? If the info that Mdna is underperforming went to my family's ears, it means that the general audience is believing this "come back" is a flop, even if it's not really the thruth. Same for the concert, here in Europe all the stadiums aren't already sold out, it's not a big deal and it will be in time, but on the other hand gaga is selling out her concerts within minutes, 10 exactly for her london stadium, and I bet Paris is folowing london... She does in france the same venue than madonna, all the medias gonna dished about gaga selling the same stadiums in minutes while madonna in months, and there you have another example of how the general public is going to think that Madonnna's concert is a flop. I'm so angry, I like Mdna, but really, all the singles were so lame, and it's like the album is over right now, the third single won't save the album, I hope I'm wrong. She really should have spent the same energy on her music than on her damned WE

Ok time to crawl back into my cave :electropop:

I think that regardless of how much promotion Madonna does or doesn't do,the main focus of the fans I feel should be on 2 things;the quality of the music that she's released ( I think MDNA is her best work since Music) and the spectacle and entertainment value we get from her tours. Whatever negative articles the press print about her,I couldn't care less about how many records she sells. The main focus that has kept me a Madonna fan now since 1989,has always been the music,and as long as she continues to make great records and put on kick ass shows,that's all that matters.

Totally agree :thumbsup:

The thing is - she sold the tour tickets before the album came.

There's this talk now that the album is supporting the tour instead of the other way round - but that's not even the case. No album was needed for Madonna to have a sellout tour - no-one is buying tickets for this tour based on the album.

Herein lies a problem I think for the upcoming shows. Who wants a Madonna concert where the majority of the songs are things practically no-one in the audience has heard before? That's what's on the cards here.

The MDNA album sales are miniscule in comparison with the MDNA concert ticket sales - and since even the album singles aren't getting any exposure at all on radio or TV - half the songs she performs at these big stadium concerts are gonna be songs only the diehard fans know. Not gonna be good.

DWT played only small arenas and non-fans moaned about songs they didn't know - this time MASSIVE stadiums are gonna be FILLED with people who haven't a notion what on earth she is singing!

Indeed - Madonna out of touch and not knowing that the whole industry has changed but again if she is selling the album in different newish way this is artificial?

Let's moan for the sake of it - and A Big FUXK OFF to whoever wrote the article.

I hope he will enjoy the Born This Way Ball.

The thing is that she's struggling to sell tickets (at least in Europe) so the whole 'it's all about the tour' doesn't make all that much sense. She over-saturated many EU markets with S&S 08/09 and that tour also left many people and causal fans feeling disappointed/ripped off (i.e. due to poor sound, people not being able to see anything etc) thus they are not willing to pay the same or even higher prices this year ...

The MDNA tour won't flop but she needs to realize that she can't live off her reputation forever because - as I said - S&S left a bad taste in many casual fans' mouths and they won't bother anymore

Guest groovyguy

Indeed - Madonna out of touch and not knowing that the whole industry has changed but again if she is selling the album in different newish way this is artificial?

Let's moan for the sake of it - and A Big FUXK OFF to whoever wrote the article.

I hope he will enjoy the Born This Way Ball.

Madonna is so out of touch with the music industry that it must be so shocking that MDNA reached #1 in more than 30 countries, went gold, platinum and double-platinum around the world and sold close to 1 million copies globally in its 2 weeks of release without promotion. Last week, Lionel's tv promo in US helped his album to sell 103,645 (HDD) in the US but sold only 118,000 globally and that is such a huge success. But Madonna, on the other hand, sold only 182,000 globally last week and so she is flopping so hard because MDNA dropped from the #1 position. MDNA is such a flop album despite being one of the top 3 best selling albums among albums released in 2012. And MDNA is such a flop album compared to the young pop princesses who sold so much more with all the promo they did for their latest releases.

Beyonce

First week in US: 310,000

STD in US: 1,176,000

Released: 6/11

Britney Spears

First week in US: 276,000

STD in US: 883,000

Released 3/11

Rihanna:

First week in US: 198,000

STD in US: 779,000

Released: 11/11

Yesterday I had a sunday lunch with my mum and sister, they know I like Madonna, and they asked me why her last album was a total flop? If the info that Mdna is underperforming went to my family's ears, it means that the general audience is believing this "come back" is a flop

something similar happened to me too

roger friedman must be over the moon cuz this has been widely reported even in non-english speaking countries

and i know record sales aren't what they used to be and it's all about the tour [insert neutrocks' broken record here]

but being labeled a 'flop' worldwide is quite a big deal and i hope it isn't over yet for this album

it still has so much potential, all it needs is a hit single

This is why I can't wait until the tour begins.All of these negative news reports on MDNA's sales will be forgotten.The media will be focusing on her dazzling show,and how it's selling out everywhere.

Guest groovyguy

This is why I can't wait until the tour begins.All of these negative news reports on MDNA's sales will be forgotten.The media will be focusing on her dazzling show,and how it's selling out everywhere.

Six more weeks!

MDNA is unlikely to reach the to-date U.S. sales of those other albums, but good points, groovy. :)

Femme Fatale's sales as of the end of 2011 were roughly 736,000; I don't think it's scanned as much as 147K since January 2. Nonetheless, underwhelming total given the singles' radio success.

Totals for Beyonce's and Rihanna's albums stand at 1.187m and 809K.

She passed the point to care about the album performance, so im passing the point already too. I already had endeless discussions about this and i'm frankly tired. The woman is rehearsing for the tour, she won't have time or energy to promote this album, and i dare to say that she is not even interested in it. MDNA is a great album, it deserves to be heard but if MADONNA herself couldn't care less why we should? The general public already made up its mind without even having contact with it. So be it. Bring me the tour and i will happily enjoy it.

Guest groovyguy

MDNA is unlikely to reach the to-date U.S. sales of those other albums, but good points, groovy. :)

Femme Fatale's sales as of the end of 2011 were roughly 736,000; I don't think it's scanned as much as 147K since January 2. Nonetheless, underwhelming total given the singles' radio success.

Totals for Beyonce's and Rihanna's albums stand at 1.187m and 809K.

Thanks for the update, HG!

Here's an interesting article on 360 deals and the decline in physical cd sales:

http://www.hypebot.com/hypebot/2012/03/are-360-deals-a-lifeline-for-the-music-industry-infographic.html

Are 360 Deals A Lifeline For The Music Industry? [iNFOGRAPHIC]

Many record labels - major and independent - along with other music companies like Live Nation have turned to expanded rights or 360 deals to capture revenue streams beyond record sales (merchandise, touring, etc.). If you're Madonna, that's meant a hefty advance; but if you're a develping artist, 360 deals often feel like a land grab. Are 360 deals really a lifleline for the record industry?. This infographic looks at both the history and the bottom line.

6a00d83451b36c69e20168e88698fb970c-450wi

Fuck this era is a mess

And it sucks because the album is so good

And just because somebody wanted to try something new and doesn't want to admit that it fails!

I could be wrong, but I think people and the press are putting the nail in the coffin of MDNA a little early. I still have faith that something can happen to turn the tide.

I hope.....

Roger Friedman?

They need to release GANG BANG to coincide with the launch of the world tour to save the album ASAP. Scrap the plan of releasing TUTR.

btw, they already went the wrong way, and there's nothing much anybody can do. I just hope they don't fuck up the concert as well.

And just because somebody wanted to try something new and doesn't want to admit that it fails!

What difference that would make at this point? Do we want a document signed by Guy Oseary saying "I fucked up, i'm sorry"? He and his team did fucked up and i'm sure he knows that. Madonna knows that too. The point is: there's nothing left to de done. The damage is done and the tour is just around the corner. So be it.

Oprah-deal-with-it.gif

Madonna is so out of touch with the music industry that it must be so shocking that MDNA reached #1 in more than 30 countries, went gold, platinum and double-platinum around the world and sold close to 1 million copies globally in its 2 weeks of release without promotion. Last week, Lionel's tv promo in US helped his album to sell 103,645 (HDD) in the US but sold only 118,000 globally and that is such a huge success. But Madonna, on the other hand, sold only 182,000 globally last week and so she is flopping so hard because MDNA dropped from the #1 position. MDNA is such a flop album despite being one of the top 3 best selling albums among albums released in 2012. And MDNA is such a flop album compared to the young pop princesses who sold so much more with all the promo they did for their latest releases.

Beyonce

First week in US: 310,000

STD in US: 1,176,000

Released: 6/11

Britney Spears

First week in US: 276,000

STD in US: 883,000

Released 3/11

Rihanna:

First week in US: 198,000

STD in US: 779,000

Released: 11/11

:clap:

Thanks for the update, HG!

Here's an interesting article on 360 deals and the decline in physical cd sales:

http://www.hypebot.com/hypebot/2012/03/are-360-deals-a-lifeline-for-the-music-industry-infographic.html

Are 360 Deals A Lifeline For The Music Industry? [iNFOGRAPHIC]

Many record labels - major and independent - along with other music companies like Live Nation have turned to expanded rights or 360 deals to capture revenue streams beyond record sales (merchandise, touring, etc.). If you're Madonna, that's meant a hefty advance; but if you're a develping artist, 360 deals often feel like a land grab. Are 360 deals really a lifleline for the record industry?. This infographic looks at both the history and the bottom line.

6a00d83451b36c69e20168e88698fb970c-450wi

Per usual....thanks for the info groovyguy! :) I'm glad we finally got to see a real breakdown/comparison of the numbers. I find it interesting that between Robbie Williams, Jay-Z and Madonna, Madonna got the lowest advance at $120 million. I was also surprised to see that Robbie Williams deal was made back in 2002!? I had no idea that these 360 deals were being made that long ago. Why was it highly publicized that Madonna was the first to do this??

Seeing the breakdown in numbers, it's no wonder things are the way they are. Since the focus is going to be on tours, here is to hoping M and her team will find new and innovative ways of presenting her music each time she tours to keep things fresh.

So Madonna would have to sell like 35-40 million copies of MDNA to equal what she would make on tour! :lol:

Not enough promo in the world!!

Per usual....thanks for the info groovyguy! :) I'm glad we finally got to see a real breakdown/comparison of the numbers. I find it interesting that between Robbie Williams, Jay-Z and Madonna, Madonna got the lowest advance at $120 million. I was also surprised to see that Robbie Williams deal was made back in 2002!? I had no idea that these 360 deals were being made that long ago. Why was it highly publicized that Madonna was the first to do this??

Seeing the breakdown in numbers, it's no wonder things are the way they are. Since the focus is going to be on tours, here is to hoping M and her team will find new and innovative ways of presenting her music each time she tours to keep things fresh.

So Madonna would have to sell like 35-40 million copies of MDNA to equal what she would make on tour! :lol:

robbie williams deal was for 4 albums. madonna's and jay-z's were for 3 each. jay-z's included roc nation, but madonna's didn't. and madonna's doesn't include copyrights, unlike robbie williams. so in terms of value madonna's could be the highest.

The reason why Jay-Z got more is because much of this money is meant to form a new music label with Live Nation. Don't know how reliable that 160 million figure from Robbie Williams is. I think without having real knowledge of the individual contracts content it's hard to compare. We don't know anything about royalty rates. And this might be even more difficult now. What is Madonnas royalty rate when MDNA is produced AND copyrighted solely by Boy Toy Inc.? In addition I would like to think that the 120 million payment Madonna received is rather a signing bonus than a huge advance (not saying that no advance is included). Let's face it having Madonna on the Live Nation roaster was meant to attract other big names to sign with them. It was a PR move in the first place.