MDNA Promo Discussion - "non-traditional campaign"?

Apples388

Do you think that if she appeared in Voice and programs like that singing "Turn Up The Radio" and giving a blast of a performance some casual buyers would suddenly realize there's an album out there? I don't like the song much, but if there's a song that can give some impact on tv performances is that. And it helped a lot before, i recall when Kylie performed 'Wow' on X Factor and people went nuts.

Do you think that if she appeared in Voice and programs like that singing "Turn Up The Radio" and giving a blast of a performance some casual buyers would suddenly realize there's an album out there? I don't like the song much, but if there's a song that can give some impact on tv performances is that. And it helped a lot before, i recall when Kylie performed 'Wow' on X Factor and people went nuts.

Yes, I think that type of promotion would really help the album. She needs to perform her singles on TV. It's the only way for her to really spread product awareness by being in people's living rooms.

yes.

Well, Madonna, WE ARE WAITING. Leave that tour rehearsal and start giving some surprises here. It's not that difficult, simply TAKE THE PERFORMANCE into the tv set and you promote both the tour and the album.

Well, Madonna, WE ARE WAITING. Leave that tour rehearsal and start giving some surprises here. It's not that difficult, simply TAKE THE PERFORMANCE into the tv set and you promote both the tour and the album.

Good point. Whats to stop her from taking a tour performance that's she rehearsing to a tv show?

^ She needs another Teddy. 20 years ago he went and told her "You are having your first flop. You go right now to the VMAs to do Bye Bye Baby". And Madonna said "i'm too busy, do my eyebrows" and he said "you go and do the concert performance".

It's clear she's getting very stupid and needs US to help her.

Madonna Stiffs

Well there goes that paradigm.

The Super Bowl sells tickets, it does not sell albums. Not if you’re an ancient superstar dashing for cash. Oldsters just want to hear the hits, and youngsters…just don’t care.

Madonna should have gone on the Home Shopping Network, like Lionel Richie, it would have helped her more. Hell, if she didn’t pull an album with ticket scam with Ticketmaster, Lionel’s sales would have killed her: http://nyp.st/HdcFYn

We no longer live in one big homogeneous society. Madonna is now niche. Just like Rihanna. Talk to hipster rockers, they can’t sing "Umbrella", they’ve never listened to a single Rihanna track, they don’t have to, now you can ignore the dying mainstream quite easily in America.

And Madonna didn’t realize this.

She tried to play the young person’s game. By associating with the hitmakers du jour, by getting plastic surgery and working out to the point where she can dance the night away. The only problem is young people see her as their mother, she’s got no momentum, and old people, her contemporaries, have saggy, lumpy bodies and cringe at someone clinging so hard to youth.

How could Madonna be so out of touch?

Getting old doesn’t have to be a death sentence. You’ve just got to embrace your age. You can inject your face with fillers, but that doesn’t change the age of your insides, of your heart and mind.

Madonna still believed it was the MTV era, a one outlet game with all of us paying attention. We’ve driven so far from that that not only does MTV air no videos, the newspapers, the conventional media Madonna depends upon is dying. And what did Bob Dylan so famously sing? "He not busy being born is busy dying?" For a while there, Madonna kept reinventing herself. But this time she blinked.

And the hippest outlet online outed her.

The headline of that radaronline.com article linked above is:

"Madonna’s New Album Bombs, Sets Record For Biggest Sales Drop"

The debut week, artificially inflated as per the "New York Post" article linked above, was 359,000. This week, 46,000.

EEGADS!

But the people Madge wanted to impress, all those youngsters who don’t read the newspaper, go to Radaronline all the time, it’s got a reputation for breaking the best gossip, even better than TMZ. In other words, Madonna’s efforts worked against her.

Madonna never should have put out a new album.

Or, if she did, she should have taken a left turn, like Mr. Richie above… Duetting with country stars? Sure, it’s a cheap shot, but at least Lionel knew these country stars had strong constituencies.

Rumor has it Madonna’s ticket sales are great. Then again, who’s going to tell the truth in that organization. But, she’s positively old school. Charging a fortune and playing huge venues. It’s like a going out of business sale. What do you do next?

Now was the time for Madonna to make a change.

Since all the money is in touring, she should have given this album away free, or sold it at a discount via Groupon, before that service goes out of business. She should have known that the marketing was more important than the music. She should have come up with an innovative way of making people aware of the tunes that let them hear them for free. Madonna needed to be inclusive instead of exclusive. Didn’t Lourdes teach her that? Young people are all about the group, baby boomers are into domination. Madonna should have come down off her perch and hung in the pit with the rest of us, illustrated that she’s truly just like us.

And she is, even though she won’t acknowledge it.

Wanna create a commotion? Play unannounced club dates. Have your picture taken with fans. Dish the dirt on "The Talk" or "The View" or Howard Stern. Invest in your future career, your longevity, instead of trying to rip people off one more time.

But Madonna’s lost touch. Put her at the end of an endless line, everyone from executives to artists, from Tommy Mottola to Madge herself, who didn’t realize that times changed, that not only is the music different, but the whole environment.

http://lefsetz.com/wordpress/index.php/archives/2012/04/10/madonna-stiffs/

Markm, this is the last time I'm warning you to shut up. One more time you post another variation of the same thing, you're getting put on mod preview. This thread is on its way to being locked anyway because it's reaching the posts limit, thank god.

You're entitled to your opinion, but spamming the forum over and over with it = NOT COOL.

Madonna Stiffs

Well there goes that paradigm.

The Super Bowl sells tickets, it does not sell albums. Not if you're an ancient superstar dashing for cash. Oldsters just want to hear the hits, and youngsters…just don't care.

Madonna should have gone on the Home Shopping Network, like Lionel Richie, it would have helped her more. Hell, if she didn't pull an album with ticket scam with Ticketmaster, Lionel's sales would have killed her: http://nyp.st/HdcFYn

We no longer live in one big homogeneous society. Madonna is now niche. Just like Rihanna. Talk to hipster rockers, they can't sing "Umbrella", they've never listened to a single Rihanna track, they don't have to, now you can ignore the dying mainstream quite easily in America.

And Madonna didn't realize this.

She tried to play the young person's game. By associating with the hitmakers du jour, by getting plastic surgery and working out to the point where she can dance the night away. The only problem is young people see her as their mother, she's got no momentum, and old people, her contemporaries, have saggy, lumpy bodies and cringe at someone clinging so hard to youth.

How could Madonna be so out of touch?

Getting old doesn't have to be a death sentence. You've just got to embrace your age. You can inject your face with fillers, but that doesn't change the age of your insides, of your heart and mind.

Madonna still believed it was the MTV era, a one outlet game with all of us paying attention. We've driven so far from that that not only does MTV air no videos, the newspapers, the conventional media Madonna depends upon is dying. And what did Bob Dylan so famously sing? "He not busy being born is busy dying?" For a while there, Madonna kept reinventing herself. But this time she blinked.

And the hippest outlet online outed her.

The headline of that radaronline.com article linked above is:

"Madonna's New Album Bombs, Sets Record For Biggest Sales Drop"

The debut week, artificially inflated as per the "New York Post" article linked above, was 359,000. This week, 46,000.

EEGADS!

But the people Madge wanted to impress, all those youngsters who don't read the newspaper, go to Radaronline all the time, it's got a reputation for breaking the best gossip, even better than TMZ. In other words, Madonna's efforts worked against her.

Madonna never should have put out a new album.

Or, if she did, she should have taken a left turn, like Mr. Richie above… Duetting with country stars? Sure, it's a cheap shot, but at least Lionel knew these country stars had strong constituencies.

Rumor has it Madonna's ticket sales are great. Then again, who's going to tell the truth in that organization. But, she's positively old school. Charging a fortune and playing huge venues. It's like a going out of business sale. What do you do next?

Now was the time for Madonna to make a change.

Since all the money is in touring, she should have given this album away free, or sold it at a discount via Groupon, before that service goes out of business. She should have known that the marketing was more important than the music. She should have come up with an innovative way of making people aware of the tunes that let them hear them for free. Madonna needed to be inclusive instead of exclusive. Didn't Lourdes teach her that? Young people are all about the group, baby boomers are into domination. Madonna should have come down off her perch and hung in the pit with the rest of us, illustrated that she's truly just like us.

And she is, even though she won't acknowledge it.

Wanna create a commotion? Play unannounced club dates. Have your picture taken with fans. Dish the dirt on "The Talk" or "The View" or Howard Stern. Invest in your future career, your longevity, instead of trying to rip people off one more time.

But Madonna's lost touch. Put her at the end of an endless line, everyone from executives to artists, from Tommy Mottola to Madge herself, who didn't realize that times changed, that not only is the music different, but the whole environment.

http://lefsetz.com/w...madonna-stiffs/

I just don't understand why it's so difficult for you and other fans to see that it's all about the tour. It seems to me some are just so wrapped up in her promoting the album with silly TV performances or interviews, when she's invested a lot of painstaking hours in this upcoming tour. I don't see her being as "clueless" or "out of touch" when she knows that albums don't sell like they used to. She would be "out of touch" if she actually tried to keep thinking her albums would still sell like they used to. In fact, no one is selling albums like entertainers used to... unless you're ADELE. If anything, she's playing it smart. She's touring... where the interests lies. Other than Adele success, who else has sold as many albums she has this year so far in the two weeks her album has been released? Very few people. It's not that her album has flopped. She seems to be selling at an average rate of what is being sold anymore regarding albums. Now maybe at the end of the year, there will be several artists who have gone beyond that average, but I hardly think Madonna is going to be at the bottom of those statistics since majority of albums don't sell like ADELE is doing.

I just don't understand why it's so difficult for you and other fans to see that it's all about the tour. It seems to me some are just so wrapped up in her promoting the album with silly TV performances or interviews, when she's invested a lot of painstaking hours in this upcoming tour. I don't see her being as "clueless" or "out of touch" when she knows that albums don't sell like they used to. She would be "out of touch" if she actually tried to keep thinking her albums would still sell like they used to. In fact, no one is selling albums like entertainers used to... unless your ADELE. If anything, she's playing it smart. She's touring... where the interests lies. Other than Adele success, who else has sold as many album she has this year so far in the two weeks her album has? Very few people. It's not that her album has flopped. She seems to be selling at an average rate of what is being sold anymore regarding albums. Now maybe at the end of the year, there will be several artists who have gone beyond that average, but I hardly think Madonna is going to be at the bottom of those statistics since majority of albums don't sell like ADELE is doing.

But that's your opinion. Others want her to do some promotion, they are fans and they are entitled to their say.

BTW I only posted the article for others to read.

But that's your opinion. Others want her to do some promotion, they are fans and they are entitled to their say.

BTW I only posted the article for others to read.

Oh, I'm sure ALL of us would love to see her do more than what she's done. But hell if I'm going to trade a couple silly performances for a tour of 20 plus songs on a grander scale. And hell if I'm not going to celebrate this great album nevertheless. I don't need to see high chart success or huge sales to prove that this is anything different for me.

Also, I didn't say you weren't entitled your say, (after all, I'm not the one throwing in the digs about "I can't wait for Kurt or Neutrocks come in with their 5 paragraph essay")... but it seems to me that your say had kept you from actually just enjoying the era "as is"... the album and what's to come. Besides, other than bitch and moan about it, how does it change anything?? Madonna and company's plan was to bring awareness of a new tour which she has with the Superbowl and the album. You say you posted this for people to read, but the truth is that article pretty much re-enforces what you've been trying to express all along.

That's about the dumbest article I ever (half-) read...Ooh hip jong rockers can't sing umbrella,um yes they can...they might not buy the single though...

Guest Not4Pussies

G. Oseary favorited a tweet from a fan about NBC's the voice, and its being taped in NY, so its likely that a performance on a live show could happen..

i thought it was taped in LA.

I love how that "article" completely ignores the Facebook chat, twitter chat, Miami dance event gig, picture with fans at Macy's, rehearsal pics and so forth..

and the fact that the album had huge pre-orders and ticket sales thanks to Super Bowl.

Seems to me that this article is the one "out of touch" with the times..

I think that regardless of how much promotion Madonna does or doesn't do,the main focus of the fans I feel should be on 2 things;the quality of the music that she's released ( I think MDNA is her best work since Music) and the spectacle and entertainment value we get from her tours. Whatever negative articles the press print about her,I couldn't care less about how many records she sells. The main focus that has kept me a Madonna fan now since 1989,has always been the music,and as long as she continues to make great records and put on kick ass shows,that's all that matters.

I think that regardless of how much promotion Madonna does or doesn't do,the main focus of the fans I feel should be on 2 things;the quality of the music that she's released ( I think MDNA is her best work since Music) and the spectacle and entertainment value we get from her tours. Whatever negative articles the press print about her,I couldn't care less about how many records she sells. The main focus that has kept me a Madonna fan now since 1989,has always been the music,and as long as she continues to make great records and put on kick ass shows,that's all that matters.

:thumbsup:

I remember when the rehearsal performance of 'Vogue' from BA was shown on MTV way before the tour - she needs to do something like that (Although obviously not MTV these days)

I remember that too.The very next day,the official "Vogue" video premiered.It would be cool if she could do something like now...a behind-the-scenes look at the tour rehearsals....maybe some kind of TV special?

Yeah we got causing a commotion, express yourself, vogue, bye bye baby, hung up (all in one form or another but close to the tour). We need a bit of a leak, turn up the radio unless its the finale would be great.

I guess the UK isnt getting GGW or Masterpiece now? Just nothing apart a little superbowl itunes job for some song that was on in the middle of the night the other side of the world?

I remember that too.The very next day,the official "Vogue" video premiered.It would be cool if she could do something like now...a behind-the-scenes look at the tour rehearsals....maybe some kind of TV special?

The behind the scenes tour rehearsals thing is a good idea. It might create more interest for the album and tour.

She wouldn't have to interupt her schedule they could do something like they did for confessions mini tour promo on AOL.

Barneyboy GGW has a release date of 14th May. I have posted it in the UK chart thread.

as simple as this! :bow:

I just don't understand why it's so difficult for you and other fans to see that it's all about the tour. It seems to me some are just so wrapped up in her promoting the album with silly TV performances or interviews, when she's invested a lot of painstaking hours in this upcoming tour. I don't see her being as "clueless" or "out of touch" when she knows that albums don't sell like they used to. She would be "out of touch" if she actually tried to keep thinking her albums would still sell like they used to. In fact, no one is selling albums like entertainers used to... unless you're ADELE. If anything, she's playing it smart. She's touring... where the interests lies. Other than Adele success, who else has sold as many albums she has this year so far in the two weeks her album has been released? Very few people. It's not that her album has flopped. She seems to be selling at an average rate of what is being sold anymore regarding albums. Now maybe at the end of the year, there will be several artists who have gone beyond that average, but I hardly think Madonna is going to be at the bottom of those statistics since majority of albums don't sell like ADELE is doing.

If Madonna isnt out their selling new music, keeping casual listeners interested and gaining new fans who the hell do you think is going to go and see her tour, this complete lack of promotion is fucking RIDICULOUS they have fucked up this album BIG TIME, an absolute shame seeing as its probably one of the best pop albums of the past few years.

Because her tours make no difference to her album sales and haven't done for quite a while. This is a great album that is sinking suddenly. Although album sales overall are dropping, individual single sales are now soaring as you can pick and choose which tracks you buy thanks to iTunes. However, even that way, Madonna's not selling well. The first two singles have tanked.

If all she is bothered about is touring to make money, why bother with a new album? She has a vast back catalogue she can promote.