MDNA Promo Discussion - "non-traditional campaign"?

Apples388

From Digital Spy

Madonna will have a special morning dedicated to her on UK television next week when she will be interviewed by Dan Wootton, to be spread across both ITV1's Daybreak and Lorraine shows next Friday, April 20.

Wootton revealed that it will be Madonna's only UK interview this summer as she promotes her latest album MDNA.

In a short clip ahead of next week's broadcast, Madonna revealed what she does and doesn't miss about living in the UK.

"I miss riding my bike everywhere, I miss the British sense of humour," she said. "What [do] I miss the least? The congestion charge."

Madonna will talk about a range of subjects including her thoughts on Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge, Adele and motherhood.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/showbiz/news/a376260/madonna-for-daybreak-lorraine-interview-next-week.html

The words DAMAGE CONTROL and PANIC BUTTON spring to mind. A few weeks ago we were told not to think "traditionally".

Now the album is in freefall in major markets they are back peddling and resorting to more "traditional" promo

:rotfl::rotfl:

And sorry but who the fuck wants to hear about her riding a bike and not paying the congestion charge?

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

This is what we said we were gonna get.

We can all laugh at Guy's idiotic non-traditional argument, but the truth is that all marketing starts with the product. In this case, that product wasn't right. I don't believe that is Madonna's fault, but I believe that she's quite restricted creatively within the Livenation framework. Everything I read from Madonna's lips tells me her instincts are as spot on as ever.

We can all laugh at Guy's idiotic non-traditional argument, but the truth is that all marketing starts with the product. In this case, that product wasn't right. I don't believe that is Madonna's fault, but I believe that she's quite restricted creatively within the Livenation framework. Everything I read from Madonna's lips tells me her instincts are as spot on as ever.

Which product? MDNA? it's fucking fantastic!

What are you yammering about?

in your case, sadly. MDNA is everything. :wow:

Don't you like MDNA? :blink:

It isn't the best thing ever but is far from not be at least decent! :wacko:

I think that being that creative, sometimes she misses the point. And i have my own theory that she decided to sign Live Nation's contract because she could have complete FREEDOM to decide. Remember the 00s? Suddenly Madonna had problems with Warner because of Amazing, and then Warner told her to redo parts of American Life. And then Madonna started moaning and at the end she signed with Live Nation. And SUDDENLY, she releases the most idiotic first single ever.

We like it or not, Warner knew that AL had problems. They invested heavily in Hung Up because they saw that she had done it right... For an artist, having some control from those who can think in a cold way can be good. For example, when a certain person is so busy thinking of how to pose nude and finger her pussy in a book and doesn't pay atention to a song called Vogue.

I haven't got the album yet. I will be doing so; I'm looking forward to it, but I haven't downloaded it. The tracks I have heard so far are Gangbang, GGW, and GMAYL. And the latter two are pretty much what the public have heard too. So they are 'the product'. And notice I didn't make a value judgement on whether they are 'good' I said they're not 'right'. Not right as in not sufficiently differentiated from what everyone else is doing now. Not right as in not aimed at the appropriate target market, going up against Perry and Rihanna. Not right as in being insubstantial and unrelatable. All bad marketing decisions that were taken BEFORE any promotional strategy was agreed upon. There's no point in just making your product and THEN thinking how to promote it. You may as well put lipstick on a pig.

Guest Xanthium

I haven't got the album yet. I will be doing so; I'm looking forward to it, but I haven't downloaded it. The tracks I have heard so far are Gangbang, GGW, and GMAYL.

56975245-wtf.gif

Wait, what?! You haven't even heard the album yet?! No offense but that's kinda strange for someone who posts here on a daily basis.

I think that being that creative, sometimes she misses the point. And i have my own theory that she decided to sign Live Nation's contract because she could have complete FREEDOM to decide. Remember the 00s? Suddenly Madonna had problems with Warner because of Amazing, and then Warner told her to redo parts of American Life. And then Madonna started moaning and at the end she signed with Live Nation. And SUDDENLY, she releases the most idiotic first single ever.

We like it or not, Warner knew that AL had problems. They invested heavily in Hung Up because they saw that she had done it right... For an artist, having some control from those who can think in a cold way can be good. For example, when a certain person is so busy thinking of how to pose nude and finger her pussy in a book and doesn't pay atention to a song called Vogue.

If she thought that, she really was kidding herself. Under the terms of the 360 degree deal she doesn't even have the freedom to decide what she wears to parties. Do you really think they let her decide which singles to put out?

I don't agree with you about Madonna having too much creativity -she knew AL was a harsh, *ugly* song; it was meant to be. So she invested it with a harsh, ugly, controversial clip that was designed to burn it into the public conciousness. Unfortunately she was stopped from doing so. It's not like she recorded it and somehow thought it was the next La Isla Bonita is it?

56975245-wtf.gif

Wait, what?! You haven't even heard the album yet?! No offense but that's kinda strange for someone who posts here on a daily basis.

I suppose it does seem strange -it's the first one since AL that I haven't bought pretty much immediately. But you forget I've been posting here for a long time.

I haven't got the album yet. I will be doing so; I'm looking forward to it, but I haven't downloaded it. The tracks I have heard so far are Gangbang, GGW, and GMAYL.

4b1c123c_crazy.gif

Guest Xanthium

I suppose it does seem strange -it's the first one since AL that I haven't bought pretty much immediately. But you forget I've been posting here for a long time.

No I know you've been a poster here for a long time but it's odd that you haven't even LISTENED to the album. Buying it is one thing but taking a hour of your time to just listen to a leak is frankly odd to me.

No I know you've been a poster here for a long time but it's odd that you haven't even LISTENED to the album. Buying it is one thing but taking a hour of your time to just listen to a leak is frankly odd to me.

Ah ok, yeh I agree it is -I've been in the process of a flat move (end of contract etc.) for a couple of months. Not had BB internet, just a data stick thing with a sim card -it's super slow and unreliable and there's a data limit. It's good for posting here, and e-mail, but little else. I've even switched sigs and avatars off to speed things up. I would certainly have listened online if I could.

Ah ok, yeh I agree it is -I've been in the process of a flat move (end of contract etc.) for a couple of months. Not had BB internet, just a data stick thing with a sim card -it's super slow and unreliable and there's a data limit. It's good for posting here, and e-mail, but little else. I've even switched sigs and avatars off to speed things up. I would certainly have listened online if I could.

Forgot to say also heard Masterpiece obvs.

Guest groovyguy

http://www.madonna-tv.com/2012/04/2012-uk-daybreak-interview-preview.html

2012: UK 'Daybreak' Interview Preview

Watch Preview Video HERE

UK breakfast TV's Dan Wootton sat down with Madonna in New York on the evening of Thursday April 12th 2012 for what he describes as her only British TV interview to promote the MDNA album and tour.

The interview will form part of a "Madonna Morning" across breakfast shows "Daybreak" and "Lorraine" on Friday April 20th 2012 - and here from the "Lorraine" show on Friday April 13th, Wootten talks live from New York about meeting Madonna and shows a brief preview of his interview.

the truth is that all marketing starts with the product. In this case, that product wasn't right.

I haven't got the album yet.

I'm sorry. You don't get to say "the product isn't right" all bold if you haven't even heard the damn thing. :hurt:

When will you actually LISTEN to the album? :manson:

actually, I have listened all the songs, but I am listening it in a "non-traditional" way: only the first cd! a will listen to the second one in a month or so, when I start getting bored of it

actually, I have listened all the songs, but I am listening it in a "non-traditional" way: only the first cd! a will listen to the second one in a month or so, when I start getting bored of it

You must have the patience of a SAINT to have the CD sitting there and not put it in. You're in for a treat though, the three bonus songs are excellent.

Fabulous. :asian:

I listened on the day after release cause I was too tired on the Monday. I often leave things for ages, so many unplayed CDs/DVDs etc but I knew I had to get this one over and done with quickly! Couldn't bear any more spoilers.

Madonna-American-Life-music-video-uncensored1-500x274.jpg

Come back "real" Madonna

SO MANY PEOPLE would disagree with you on that but I wouldn't. I mean, they're all REAL Madonna, even Hard Candy, no matter how you look at it. It's Madonna.

Er, sorry but what is with this defeatist attitude? Madonna CAN have hits if she wants. Maybe not massive, world conquering hits like she had in her heyday (which wasn't that far back in the past anyway) but she can get songs on the radio. What's with the applauding the OH WELL SHES DONE WHATEVER BAI MADONNA posts?

I just look at it as being realistic not defeatist. CUBB summarized everything I feel more succinctly than I can do! :lol: Pop is a young persons game and it's AMAZING she has defied the odds this long as she was "old" even with ROL yet she's seen some of her biggest successes since then. Nobody has been so consistent for so long but winning over radio is just an uphill battle for her though no matter what she releases. She's released some fantastic singles these past 10 years and NONE of them have gotten the exposure they deserve on radio (especially US radio). Even something as perfect as HU had US radio turning their noses up. As huge as 4M was in the US, that song was number one for like FOREVER on itunes yet it "only" managed number 3 because of radio airplay. We all know had that been a song by a "hot" artist, especially with JT, it would've likely topped the charts for a couple weeks at least. Honestly, if Napster hadn't changed the world forever, perhaps she would be more concerned with getting radio hits but with dwindling album sales overall and the fact that she at 53 (and not getting any younger) would have to work double what her "contemporaries" do for the same measly return, it's no wonder she kind of just puts her songs out and let the chips fall where they may.

With ALLLL that said though, it's time to measure her success on different terms. While she may have a hard time competing with the Rihanna's of the world on the pop charts, the Rihanna's of the world will find it hard to compete with her in other ways. I truly think in 10 years time, album sales, single chart placements etc won't be quite the measure of success they are now....they already aren't from just ten years ago. Album sales in general are horrible and radio airplay is so manipulated these days. Madonna obviously has known this which is why she chose to do things differently when WB contract was up. I truly feel like in some ways she's setting a new precedent for how success will be determined for a performer. As always, she's gotta be the speedboat and the "Rihanna's and Gaga's" on their "jet skies" will catch up to her eventually.

:clap: Cher had a hit with Believe in her 50's so can Madonna. She did it with HU and she could do it again.

She just needs a decent song with worldwide appeal, no lame L-U-V cheerleader parts a PROPERLY ORGANISED

promo campaign and BIG PERFORMANCE.

And Madonna had a hit in her 50's with 4M. Of course you will do everything you can to try and dispute that as being a REAL Madonna hit.

I'm so over this fucking comparison to Cher's fluke hit at age 52. Her last hit PRIOR to that was 10 years earlier and 13 years later we are STILL waiting for the worldwide, monster smash hit follow up to Believe.

I'm sorry to say this, but just reading your posts over the years, you seem to take some twisted pleasure in gloating when Madonna underperforms and love to twist it to make it sound like she's underperforming even when she's hugely successful. Forgive me if I'm wrong but I SWEAR I remember you trying to argue that HC/S&S were flops just because of your own personal bad experience at a show. In the post above you are literally ROTFL that she's doing "damage control"....mind you that stuff could've been planned ANYWAYS but now that fans like yourself are about to blow a gasket on Twitter, they are just REVEALING this information so you guys will shut the fuck up. OF COURSE though, you don't even consider that and just run around in every post screaming DAMAGE CONTROL DAMAGE CONTROL...OMG I WAS SO RIGHT SHE LISTENED TO ME...DAMAGE CONTROL!!! So this is just for you.....

:clap::clap::clap:

There's your applause. You are a marketing genius. You know all. Madonna and Guy took your words to heart and you are now a legend. WE LOVE YOU!

:manson: