MDNA Promo Discussion - "non-traditional campaign"?

Apples388

Guest FuckBuddy

Well on the flip side of that, people thought Hard Candy was going to be a huge blockbuster and blow Confessions out of the water (you can even go back to some of the posts circa 2008 when 4 Minutes blew up to see that), and we all know how that turned out.

The hyperbole in here is a little much. Just enjoy the ride. Madonna could very well be making 2 more albums and saying goodbye in 5 years. That's how much longer she has left on her contract.

i'd like to believe genuinely hard core fans were freaking out from the moment it was official she was working with the likes of timbaland and justin. oh well, at least they gifted her with a worldwide smash.

she still likes to think of herself as a relevant pop artist, therefore we should judge her accordingly. if she wants to be regarded as a solely touring act, then she should have never released embarrassing turds such as give me all your luvin that apparently destroyed this era and gone for more adult friendly singles instead.

btw this bitch is not over after her 3 albums contract with live nation ends. we'll be getting new albums for years to come

Guest FuckBuddy

America isn't the only country on Earth where she can maintain steady sales, the album hasn't dropped off the face of the planet :lmao: geez.

america i couldn't give a flying fuck about

she's seriously underperforming in europe, though - that's been her core market for the past TWENTY years.

i'd like to believe genuinely hard core fans were freaking out from the moment it was official she was working with the likes of timbaland and justin. oh well, at least they gifted her with a worldwide smash.

she still likes to think of herself as a relevant pop artist, therefore we should judge her accordingly. if she wants to be regarded as a solely touring act, then she should have never released embarrassing turds such as give me all your luvin that apparently destroyed this era and gone for more adult friendly singles instead.

btw this bitch is not over after her 3 albums contract with live nation ends. we'll be getting new albums for years to come

I know that. After that, I doubt she's going to be making accessible music, she will be 60 years old by then. We're gonna have to say goodbye to the sensationalist aspect of her career after her contract is up, or at least the splashy pop aspect of her career.

Give Me All Your Luvin' was hardly embarrassing either. It may have been a shit single, but American Life, Hey You, Revolver it was not. It was just mediocre and it didn't work. It didn't turn her into a laughingstock.

Like I said before, the way some of you lot are going about, it's almost comical. Leave the hyperbole to a different fanbase. Every megastar bombs now and then, get over it, and Madonna is the only one who can bomb and come back, so pipe down, it's not that serious.

i'd like to believe genuinely hard core fans were freaking out from the moment it was official she was working with the likes of timbaland and justin

Yeah we were, but that wasn't what I was talking about. Love or hate 4 Minutes, it was a big hit, and it set high expectations for Hard Candy that it did NOT meet. So I'm just telling you that all this stuff is very unpredictable. Crying and screaming over it isn't gonna change anything, just listen to the album and enjoy seeing her on the road and let the chips fall where they may.

Guest FuckBuddy

Give Me All Your Luvin' was hardly embarrassing either. It may have been a shit single, but American Life, Hey You, Revolver it was not. It was just mediocre and it didn't work. It didn't turn her into a laughingstock.

1. yes it did turn her to a laughing stock - it was the most embarrassing single of her entire career, there's quite a good reason it peaked at FUCKIN #37 in the uk

2. don't even compare this pile of shit with american life. yup, that was a commercial disaster yet the ideal single to launch its parent album. it would have mattered the most had the real video been brought to public conscience.

1. yes it did turn her to a laughing stock - it was the most embarrassing single of her entire career, there's quite a good reason it peaked at FUCKIN #37 in the uk

2. don't even compare this pile of shit with american life. yup, that was a commercial disaster yet the ideal single to launch its parent album. it would have mattered the most had the real video been brought to public conscience.

:clap::clap::clap:

You can easily compare it with American Life since both songs bombed because everyone hated them. American Life was worse because it displayed just how out of touch and preachy she had become, plus it had that rap that was pretty much ripped apart by everyone.

GMAYL suffers from mediocrity and no one really caring about it, which is in some ways worse, but it wasn't a menopausal embarrassment like American Life was. It's just too throwaway to launch the album, and yes it's the wrong single. But when you're wrapping about coffee and whining about how fame isn't what makes you happy when you're MADONNA, that makes you far more of a dickhead than a subpar Martin Solveig song.

Guest FuckBuddy

Yeah we were, but that wasn't what I was talking about. Love or hate 4 Minutes, it was a big hit, and it set high expectations for Hard Candy that it did NOT meet. So I'm just telling you that all this stuff is very unpredictable. Crying and screaming over it isn't gonna change anything, just listen to the album and enjoy seeing her on the road and let the chips fall where they may.

i'm neither crying nor screaming. why bother? we're just discussing madge, that's all there is to it. no need to be over dramatic. i just find it amusing that a star/brand of her caliber shot herself in the foot by releasing such a freakin SHIT song to launch her album with and therefore pronouncing it as dead on arrival.

i'm neither crying nor screaming. why bother? we're just discussing madge, that's all there is to it. no need to be over dramatic. i just find it amusing that a star/brand of her caliber shot herself in the foot by releasing such a freakin SHIT song to launch her album with and therefore pronouncing it as dead on arrival.

I wasn't talking about you in particular re: the crying/screaming thing

Obviously as you can see this thread is full of that

GMAYL suffers from mediocrity and no one really caring about it, which is in some ways worse, but it wasn't a menopausal embarrassment like American Life was. It's just too throwaway to launch the album, and yes it's the wrong single. But when you're wrapping about coffee and whining about how fame isn't what makes you happy when you're MADONNA, that makes you far more of a dickhead than a subpar Martin Solveig song.

This encapsulates everything I have felt about these two lead singles. :clap:

Anyway....I am sort of over this nonexistent promo campaign. If she ends up doing something on TV that's cool and hopefully it will count, but having been through several commercial FLOP eras already (Erotica, AL, and now potentially this one), we just have to come to expect them once a decade.

Guest FuckBuddy

however there are some facts that most posters over here pretend like they do not make any difference

there are fans not wealthy enough to buy a tour ticket costing 200 freakin euros - i just cannot comprehend those claiming the fans will get the whole mdna experience by witnessing the concert- this means i get shit if i'm poor enough not to attend her concert

besides not touring every fucking country - not that i would travel to see her what with the costs involved- she's trapped into recycling the same old by adding stadium dates that are inappropriate for her pop shows.

But that's been the case since what, 2001? She's always been expensive. U2's shows are expensive. Rolling Stones are expensive. It's just what you get when you're a huge rock music legend. You either go and get shitty seats, or you don't go at all, someone else will take the seats. As for the stadium dates, yes I agree, that part blows, I wish she'd stop that. But it worked with Sticky & Sweet on some level, so there you go.

FuckBuddy you've obviously been spending too much time on Riverwide's board :lol:

however there are some facts that most posters over here pretend like they do not make any difference

there are fans not wealthy enough to buy a tour ticket costing 200 freakin euros - i just cannot comprehend those claiming the fans will get the whole mdna experience by witnessing the concert- this means i get shit if i'm poor enough not to attend her concert

besides not touring every fucking country - not that i would travel to see her what with the costs involved- she's trapped into recycling the same old by adding stadium dates that are inappropriate for her pop shows.

U r entitled 2 NOTHING. Just keep that in mind & ur life will b a lot easier. :fag:

You can easily compare it with American Life since both songs bombed because everyone hated them. American Life was worse because it displayed just how out of touch and preachy she had become, plus it had that rap that was pretty much ripped apart by everyone.

Not to mention the fact that it was an utter SHIT song that was weird only for weird's sake. People who heard it were instantly turned off, whereas I'm sure most who heard GMAYL had nothing more than a "meh" reaction.

I'm so amazed at how so much rhetoric from 2003 has suddenly shifted in order to slag the new material. Most of the hardcore Madonna fanbase were baffled (to say the least) by American Life, now all of a sudden it is some sonic coming of Christ. :lmao:

Not to mention the fact that it was an utter SHIT song that was weird only for weird's sake. People who heard it were instantly turned off, whereas I'm sure most who heard GMAYL had nothing more than a "meh" reaction.

I'm so amazed at how so much rhetoric from 2003 has suddenly shifted in order to slag the new material. Most of the hardcore Madonna fanbase were baffled (to say the least) by American Life, now all of a sudden it is some sonic coming of Christ. :lmao:

Yeah that was a universally hated song right up until now. Even GMAYL had an okay reaction when it officially leaked (not from everyone, but the overall consenus wasn't AMERICAN LIFE-ESQUE DISASTER). Now that it has bombed, all of a sudden it's worse than American Life? I call bullshit. Typical fandom nonsense from those who put too much stock in the fucking music charts.

Yeah that was a universally hated song right up until now. Even GMAYL had an okay reaction when it officially leaked (not from everyone, but the overall consenus wasn't AMERICAN LIFE-ESQUE DISASTER). Now that it has bombed, all of a sudden it's worse than American Life? I call bullshit. Typical fandom nonsense from those who put too much stock in the fucking music charts.

PREACH IT BRUTHA.

"I LOVE WHAT I DO. I LOVE MAKING MUSIC. MUSIC IS EVERYTHING."- Madonna. April 12, 2012

What does Madonna appreciate most about her fans?

"THEIR LOYALTY. I DO NOT TAKE IT FOR GRANTED."- Madonna. April 12, 2012

Praying for some of you in here. The next 10 years of singles/sales are gonna be hard on you guys with your application of promo techniques for 20 year old popstars being applied to a 53 year old woman.

Oh well. Bless you all.

Finally a voice of reason! You are the only one that has made sense in this thread.

It's sad to see it happen but she's defied the odds for so many years now. Fuck she was "old" when ROL came out....then at age 42 she was the "it" girl again (sorta) with Music. It's amazing any of that even happened. A gradual commercial decline is inevitable at some point. As long as the music doesn't decline with the sales then it's all good.

I think people are overreacting. The only bad thing about selling little is when main media decides to destroy you because you have underperformed. After HC and MDNA, Madonna has reached a status where no big sales or big hits are expected from her, but being just herfself and being up there for new artists to be inspired. If Madonna sells suddenly a lot with a single or with an album, oh very good, but if she doesn't NOBODY in general public cares because she's Madonna.

Nobody cares if Bruce Springsteen is selling one million or half million in his first week because he's BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN. And Madonna reached that status long ago, specially after Hard Candy, when it was pretty clear that pop music was moving without her.

The better people accept this, the more they will enjoy every little bit of greatness that is this fantastic era.

I think people are overreacting. The only bad thing about selling little is when main media decides to destroy you because you have underperformed. After HC and MDNA, Madonna has reached a status where no big sales or big hits are expected from her, but being just herfself and being up there for new artists to be inspired. If Madonna sells suddenly a lot with a single or with an album, oh very good, but if she doesn't NOBODY in general public cares because she's Madonna.

Nobody cares if Bruce Springsteen is selling one million or half million in his first week because he's BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN. And Madonna reached that status long ago, specially after Hard Candy, when it was pretty clear that pop music was moving without her.

The better people accept this, the more they will enjoy every little bit of greatness that is this fantastic era.

:clap: