MDNA Promo Discussion - "non-traditional campaign"?

Apples388

I know this will not happen but I think a way to get out of this PR desaster would be to sit down with Forbes and have a chat. I'm not sure if she has ever done it. All I remember is that she was furious back in 1990 when Forbes had her on the title and called her "The smartest business woman in America". Most likely she enjoyed the praise in that article but the fact that someone took a serious look on her businesses and skills in this area was something she never wanted to happen. It was just not the way she wanted to be portrayed, as a tough business woman. But now, almost 30 years into her career, the ongoing financial success is just as much part of her legacy as the music. So why not adress the issue in the very same publication that started the whole desaster with that horrible Roger Friedman. The article could deal with new ways of distribution in the music industry like having the CD bundled with the concert tickets (hell, people are writing she was cheating to get to number one) and how the "non-traditional promo" worked out. Or not. Why not accept to have made a wrong business decision? You can always say you tried something new and it failed. Once you have accepted the failure you can start all over again. It might be too late for MDNA but who knows?

But what are the most important lessons have we learned here? 1) If you decide to keep promotion on a minimum you need to have a hit that makes customers aware something new and possibly interesting is available. 2) Influence of social media is widely exaggerated when it comes to selling REAL products. Facebook and Twitter just can do so much. They are obviously not able to create a desire that turns into sales. You can spread the news, but in our times that doesn't mean much, not from a marketing point of view. Those outlets fail to create a lasting impression. There are way too many players in the game. And considering the limited sucess of Gaga and Bieber, the undisputed queens of Facebook and Twitter, proves that there is hardly any relation to the number of followers or "friends" you have. Turns out Madonna was actually right when she ignored Facebook and Twitter. After all she's old school and knew that Facebook and Twitter would not be helpful. For what anyway? To get in touch with her fans? Hello????? When was this woman ever interested in getting in touch with her fans? I'm sorry, but I consider her Facekook interview and Twitter sessions the worst of the worst. Not only were those a complete waste of time for everyone involved, it also looks desperate. Desperate at a time when there actually was no need for desperate measures.

She didn't tour in the 90's because she didn't yet cotton on to just how lucrative and important it is to tour for a pop artist. When she reaped the funds after the Drowned World Tour that's when she found out where the real money was at. This whole 'she has nothing left to prove' shit spewed by fans who would happily accept her turd on a plate is simply pathetic. Just because she's an established artist does not mean that she should become complacent or rest on her laurels. It's not a case of fans wanting her to do things their way - it's the case that her album is tanking like a loose haemorrhoid from a 747 window and she is getting bad publicity. She needs to get out there and do some public appearances and performances so that people who can't afford to see her tour will have awareness of her products. It's that simple.

You're right about the reasons for her not touring in the 90's. Album sales were where all the money was at so that was her focus and that was all good. Nowadays, touring is where the money's at and it's her focus and it's bad. Madonna becoming complacent would be her releasing HC Part 2 and S&S Part 2. She's releasing new quality music and putting together a brand new show for her fans and her bank account. ;) The bulk of this "bad publicity" stems from the same asshole who seems hell bent on defaming her name at any opportunity. He even tried to do it last week when the album was on top.

And no she doesn't have anything to prove, she's the most successful and arguably the most influential female artist ever. Don't get me wrong, if I ever stopped like her new material and felt she was no longer cutting it as a live performer, I would find it sad because she was the best of the best for me for many years. However, at this point she's done so much that I'll always like her even if it's just for her past. Fortunately I love MDNA. Are you calling MDNA, Super Bowl, GGW/GMAYL videos turd on a plate?? Because those are the only "gifts" she has given me to "accept" this era. ;)

And quite frankly we really have no choice but to accept how she does her promo. I would just find it sad if someone who loved the actual artistic part of the era to jump ship because they are so upset that she's not promoting, even if they love the work. :(

Guest Xanthium

ABSOLUTELY! Obviously she wouldn't be where she is today without us and she's made it known several times she is grateful for our support. With that said, it's not like she comes to each of us holds a gun to our heads and makes buy her albums/concert tickets. :lol: As a fan I TOTALLY understand wanting to see her do well and see her talk about, perform the songs on TV for the whole world to see. I get all that and I love when she does that too. For me, I feel enjoyment when listening to MDNA so therefore the money I spent on it seems like a good investment. Her lack of promo doesn't change how I feel about the music.

Maybe *I* am old school as I can understand the disappointment of her not doing promo but some of the reactions I've read here and the Tweets I've happened to see are just SO DRAMATIC to me. :lol: I would just feel awkward throwing insults and barking orders at her manager like that. :confused:

Oh I agree some people are being way too melodramatic but I understand where they are coming from. Her lack of promo comes across like she doesn't care. Whether she does or not, I don't know. I'm enjoying the album but I am disappointed that she's putting forth no effort in promoting MDNA. Especially when she has time to promote the perfume tonight. It does comes across as disingenuous. I think everyone has the right to criticize her and everyone has the right to criticize people for criticizing her. This is what makes us fans. It's what makes us a Madonna family. I think it's important to express how we each individually feel but it's somewhat futile to try and change peoples opinions. Believe me, I've tried to do that on certain issues around here and it all falls on deaf ears. That's why it's so important to just accept that people are gonna bitch and complain no matter what and just accept it. If they wanna have a nervous breakdown, let them.

Madonna and her team may do whatever they want to do. But they should not think fans are stupid. This is not a non-traditional campaign, there is no campaign for the album at all. Guy should shut up. Everyone knows tour will no good to album sales at all. This is truly a wasted opportunity. Everbody including non-fans was so ready for a really good 1st single from Madonna and a good album from her. And she and her team blew this opportunity big time! It's a pity, because this album could've been big with a proper care.

She spent crazy amount of time and energy for her movie, which was bound to be a flop.

She didn't give a fuck about the album. The material was good but overall production quality is much lower than her previous albums. That means she didn't spend enough time to produce it.

Timing was all wrong. They waited too long to release the album, they had to start preparing for the tour as summer was coming, so they didn't have time to promote the album.

She didn't care to have a proper hit first single. GMAYL was a joke as 1st single. Literally worst song on the album. Ten years ago this song wouldn't even make on a Madonna album.

She made another mistake for 2nd single. Good song, but bad production and dated sound. Didn't they see lukewarm reaction to "Celebration", why same sound?

I'm afraid, this album will flop so hard that her tour sales will also decline starting with her next your. Don't they know that good music and good promotion is feeding their ticket sales in the long run. If touring is so important just stop making records.

So as 4 a future video, if the rumors r true and Gang Bang will b a video interlude 4 the tour, bitch had better release it! :fag:

Awwww. I was thinking Gang Bang would be great as an opener - then again, if "live" it would be a bit dodge.. a lipped one a la NKM would be amaze.

Good music + good promo = commercial success. It's not a case of one or the other.

She performed on the National Lottery (!!!) for goodness' sake when Ray of Light was out - similar situation really (first studio album in ages; people were starting to write her off etc.) That show is about as low-rent as it comes in the UK. Result? Best selling album in ages and of course "Frozen" became her first UK Number 1 in eight years.

Things have not changed all that much really. A Facebook online chat and a couple of Twitter chats will just not make do if she wants to reach out beyond her hardcore fanbase.

But I suppose she doesn't.

That is true. Though it was an absolute masterstroke cause at the time, THAT in fact was the coveted influential music slot on TV, not the tired TOTP and almost guaranteed a high chart position (some notable failures like Mariah's Buttfly, she is one artist who always does WORSE with promo, even X Factor :lmao:).

Can you imagine Demonna releasing the balls? :lmao: As was custom for celeb guests then. I can't remember what she did, I think she said "good luck everybody!" or something. :rotfl: Wish I had played that week!

Awwww. I was thinking Gang Bang would be great as an opener - then again, if "live" it would be a bit dodge.. a lipped one a la NKM would be amaze.

I imagine it more in the last part, with all the stadium bouncing while she says OVEr, and over and over!!

That is true. Though it was an absolute masterstroke cause at the time, THAT in fact was the coveted influential music slot on TV, not the tired TOTP and almost guaranteed a high chart position (some notable failures like Mariah's Buttfly, she is one artist who always does WORSE with promo, even X Factor :lmao: ).

Can you imagine Demonna releasing the balls? :lmao: As was custom for celeb guests then. I can't remember what she did, I think she said "good luck everybody!" or something. :rotfl: Wish I had played that week!

It was on my 18th B'day! We watched with the entire family...Some my cousins had heard the song on the radio, it was the hot track of the week, they were shocked 2 find out it was Madonna...THE TIMES THEY WERE MAGIC :inlove:

That is true. Though it was an absolute masterstroke cause at the time, THAT in fact was the coveted influential music slot on TV, not the tired TOTP and almost guaranteed a high chart position (some notable failures like Mariah's Buttfly, she is one artist who always does WORSE with promo, even X Factor :lmao: ).

But that's exactly what good promo is about: performing on the biggest show at the time that maximises you audience. So yes, Superbowl was good for her US audience but not for her audience anywhere else in the world. Maybe Madonna and Guy should have listened to Morrissey's "America is Not the World" before they planned the "non-traditional promo campaign" for this album :manson:

But that's exactly what good promo is about: performing on the biggest show at the time that maximises you audience. So yes, Superbowl was good for her US audience but not for her audience anywhere else in the world. Maybe Madonna and Guy should have listened to Morrissey's "America is Not the World" before they planned the "non-traditional promo campaign" for this album :manson:

oh I thought Europe was a country!

It was on my 18th B'day! We watched with the entire family...Some my cousins had heard the song on the radio, it was the hot track of the week, they were shocked 2 find out it was Madonna...THE TIMES THEY WERE MAGIC :inlove:

Awwww :inlove:

My birthday keeps falling on when she releases new shit - late March/spring is Madge time! Though I don't recall one falling exactly on it. This year was damn close.

Guest Not4Pussies

Gang Bang is going to be a video interlude and not an actual performance?

who said?

You guys are overthinking the lack of touring in the mid to late '90s. She didn't tour because of movies. She nixed plans for a tour following BS because of Evita, and she didn't tour after ROL because of The Next Best Thing (and I'm sure Lola being so little was also a factor). It's true that she was able to make more money from album sales back then, so she had less incentive to make it happen, but it was mostly about circumstance.

I know this will not happen but I think a way to get out of this PR desaster would be to sit down with Forbes and have a chat. I'm not sure if she has ever done it. All I remember is that she was furious back in 1990 when Forbes had her on the title and called her "The smartest business woman in America". Most likely she enjoyed the praise in that article but the fact that someone took a serious look on her businesses and skills in this area was something she never wanted to happen. It was just not the way she wanted to be portrayed, as a tough business woman. But now, almost 30 years into her career, the ongoing financial success is just as much part of her legacy as the music. So why not adress the issue in the very same publication that started the whole desaster with that horrible Roger Friedman. The article could deal with new ways of distribution in the music industry like having the CD bundled with the concert tickets (hell, people are writing she was cheating to get to number one) and how the "non-traditional promo" worked out. Or not. Why not accept to have made a wrong business decision? You can always say you tried something new and it failed. Once you have accepted the failure you can start all over again. It might be too late for MDNA but who knows?

But what are the most important lessons have we learned here? 1) If you decide to keep promotion on a minimum you need to have a hit that makes customers aware something new and possibly interesting is available. 2) Influence of social media is widely exaggerated when it comes to selling REAL products. Facebook and Twitter just can do so much. They are obviously not able to create a desire that turns into sales. You can spread the news, but in our times that doesn't mean much, not from a marketing point of view. Those outlets fail to create a lasting impression. There are way too many players in the game. And considering the limited sucess of Gaga and Bieber, the undisputed queens of Facebook and Twitter, proves that there is hardly any relation to the number of followers or "friends" you have. Turns out Madonna was actually right when she ignored Facebook and Twitter. After all she's old school and knew that Facebook and Twitter would not be helpful. For what anyway? To get in touch with her fans? Hello????? When was this woman ever interested in getting in touch with her fans? I'm sorry, but I consider her Facekook interview and Twitter sessions the worst of the worst. Not only were those a complete waste of time for everyone involved, it also looks desperate. Desperate at a time when there actually was no need for desperate measures.

Social Media Marketing is a total fad -Companies think spending a lot on social media ammounts to a promotional strategy these days. The reality is that it is simply another channel, and often not appropriate to the message or the required outcome of a given campaign. And I agree, Madonna's 'aloofness' to that sort of thing, though it may have been unintentional, gave her a certain mystique.

Guest groovyguy

http://drownedmadonna.com/index/item/725-madonna-taping-formal-interviews-tonight-for-nbc-and-more.html

Madonna taping formal interviews tonight for NBC and more

As reported, Madonna will be at Macy's tonight to launch her True or Dare fragrance.

DrownedMadonna.com heard that, not only Madonna is doing red carpet interviews, but she is also sitting down for formal interviews to be taped tonight at a hotel in New York. Among the interviews Madonna is taping, there is one for NBC. It is all part of MDNA promotion as well.

So is she backtracking now?

Because, really, at the Facebook chat she clearly said that this was the "only" promotion she was doing for the album.

I wonder if media outlets will pick up on that and generate even more negative publicity than the 2nd week drop.

God it's just all so shambolic!!

Guest jamesshot

Because, really, at the Facebook chat she clearly said that this was the "only" promotion she was doing for the album.

I wonder if media outlets will pick up on that and generate even more negative publicity than the 2nd week drop.

Clearly, she got a bit cocky. However, America loves a mea culpa. Backtracking is the absolute right call...if she executes this right. What she must do is REALLY turn on the charm, admit they tried something new and it didn't work. She shouldn't deny anything or try to sugar coat it. Just tell it like it is. If she comes across as haughty, smug, indiffernt, or anything other than relatable, it's a bust. She needs to reach down and put on her best, most charming front ( think Carson 87).

I wish she would do 60 Minutes. Every time a singer is featured on this show they end up with a massive increase in sales. No NBC show is going to do the trick tbh.

Clearly, she got a bit cocky. However, America loves a mea culpa. Backtracking is the absolute right call...if she executes this right. What she must do is REALLY turn on the charm, admit they tried something new and it didn't work. She shouldn't deny anything or try to sugar coat it. Just tell it like it is. If she comes across as haughty, smug, indiffernt, or anything other than relatable, it's a bust. She needs to reach down and put on her best, most charming front ( think Carson 87).

I wish she would do 60 Minutes. Every time a singer is featured on this show they end up with a massive increase in sales. No NBC show is going to do the trick tbh.

I totally agree with this. She can turn it around. :thumbsup:

There is some MAJOR back peddling going on. They are scared the Madonna brand is going to be tarnished.

If these interviews were lined up weeks ago we would have heard about it before.

If only she would have done some interviews in the first place. Still they thought "untraditional" was best

:lol: