MDNA Promo Discussion - "non-traditional campaign"?

Apples388

I seriously think they are starting to loose it. This era is becoming an unnecessary mess.

Dreadful decision for GMAYL to be the lead single. No promo lined up,

nothing is co ordinated properly, headlines for all the wrong reasons. How ridiculous to say there is

no time to promote the album but there is time to promote her perfume. The perfume launch should never

have been scheduled in around the album and tour rehearsals in the first place.

They're not losing anything because there's nothing to lose. They're not even going to rush release another single. TUTR 'smells' like the next single or whatever he said? He is obviously completely clueless but I'm shocked the people at Interscope who have the most to lost and Madonna herself who is concerned with public perception aren't doing anything.

I think the promotion revolving around GMAYL and SB was great, at least in the US. However, when that single failed to take off, it's as if they have no plan B. Fast-tracking a second single was a smart move, but the way it was done was such a confusing mess, even for fans following it closely. It's as if they might as well not bother. And let's face it, the third single will be DOA.

Quite honestly, I'm beginning to think that a permanent Vegas gig (like Celine) may very well be in their future plans.

In spite of my displeasure in the (lack of) promotion, I'm not sure about the utility of harassing Guy on twitter. What are fans expecting? A public apology or admission that he screwed up?

I seriously think they are starting to loose it. This era is becoming an unnecessary mess.

Dreadful decision for GMAYL to be the lead single. No promo lined up,

nothing is co ordinated properly, headlines for all the wrong reasons. How ridiculous to say there is

no time to promote the album but there is time to promote her perfume. The perfume launch should never

have been scheduled in around the album and tour rehearsals in the first place.

Now I know why I was so appalled at Guy being on Twitter. He's making a complete cunt of himself and her, digging a deeper hole. :sour: It's ALL about Ingrid, that bytch is quality.

Hmmm...I have to say, as much as I will listen to the argument that Madonna is transitioning to 'heritage' status, I don't really believe that's what they intended with this campaign at all. If that were true, why hire MIA and Nicky, which are distractions really, and only serve to try and keep her 'current'?

And I can't help but wonder what Interscope have made of all this given that they fronted the cash for the albums. I'm sure they care about record sales, even if Madonna and Guy don't. And to be honest, I've never believed that Madonna and Guy didn't care about number of albums shifted; if nothing else, if the album doesn't sell, then it makes it much much harder to sell concert tickets, and that does actually seem to be happening with this tour, with reports of venues not selling out.

Madonna's brand is based on success but so far she's not had a major hit off the album, which is plummeting down the charts and now, possibly, a world tour that could flop, at least by her standards. And then it becomes harder to sell the other 'lifestyle' products associated with her as the brand is seen as undesirable.

To my eyes, it looks like the need to do some traditional promo pretty damn quick. It served them well in the past and there's nothing to say it wouldn't now, as an adjunct to digital media.

I think the promotion revolving around GMAYL and SB was great, at least in the US. However, when that single failed to take off, it's as if they have no plan B. Fast-tracking a second single was a smart move, but the way it was done was such a confusing mess, even for fans following it closely. It's as if they might as well not bother. And let's face it, the third single will be DOA.

Quite honestly, I'm beginning to think that a permanent Vegas gig (like Celine) may very well be in their future plans.

In spite of my displeasure in the (lack of) promotion, I'm not sure about the utility of harassing Guy on twitter. What are fans expecting? A public apology or admission that he screwed up?

:asian:

I'm telling you, i actually don't know if GGW was released or not! :lmao:

I think the promotion revolving around GMAYL and SB was great, at least in the US.

The Superbowl was handled great. Magical performance, great presales numbers and ticket sales and press releases touting her success. It's what happened after that was the problem. I wonder if Madonna's massive touring success didn't lull her into complacency a little bit. And even though she is still selling great, I wonder if she hasn't noticed that ticket sales have slowed down, even a little bit. It's not like her to milk the same cow OVER AND OVER AND OVER.

I know she has a label deal with interscope, but I wonder how things would have went with WARNER, u know a RECORD COMPANY :wow:

*stirs the shit while it's hot*

:chuckle:

@guyoseary will you do some kind of promo during the tour, like interviews or tv in local market?

@fabiodispa thinking about what we could do live from each show.. we are brainstorming..

5:19pm - 11 Apr 12

@guyoseary will you do some kind of promo during the tour, like interviews or tv in local market?

@fabiodispa thinking about what we could do live from each show.. we are brainstorming..

:crazy::clap:

The biggest tragedy is that, after four years away, the anticipation for new Madonna material was huge, and then they go and release a track as weak as Gimme All Your Luvin. It really was that that killed the MDNA era stone dead. A strong lead single would still be hanging around the charts now which would have encouraged people to buy the album. But it's almost as if everyone -fans and public alike - have sort of pretended that GAYL never really happened, but then the rush released Girl Gone Wild wasn't good enough to kick start interest either.

The biggest tragedy is that, after four years away, the anticipation for new Madonna material was huge, and then they go and release a track as weak as Gimme All Your Luvin. It really was that that killed the MDNA era stone dead. A strong lead single would still be hanging around the charts now which would have encouraged people to buy the album. But it's almost as if everyone -fans and public alike - have sort of pretended that GAYL never really happened, but then the rush released Girl Gone Wild wasn't good enough to kick start interest either.

VOICE OF REASON

Well, the damage is done and nothing can change that anymore. We have to accept that and enjoy our CD's waiting for the tour to come to our city. The MDNA era is more likely to be remembered as the 2012 TOUR era. At least we have some good music to enjoy for the rest of the year.

I'm telling you, i actually don't know if GGW was released or not! :lmao:

I dont think it has, has it???? :wacko: I used to be at music stores at 9am for her stuff, I havent got a clue nowadays. I heard the UK were getting masterpiece (was supposed to be out last week and didnt turn up), now ive read we are getting GGW in May. Ive never known such a shambles in my life, and my life is a shambles. I cant get my head around how fucked up this is, its like a really bad apprentice has been set free with this project.

Exactly! Everybody always talks about how GMAYL was the perfect Superbowl song. Why does the theme of the first single and the Superbowl performance have to coordinate? Has anyone else ever done that? Yes, it was the most-watched performance of her career, but that doesn't mean the song has to have anything to do with the game! We didn't need a song with cheerleading chants! I think Love Spent or Turn Up The Radio should have been first. TUTR would have been KILLER performed live on the SB. Next single after that should have been Beautiful Killer. To me, those are the strongest album tracks. After that, maybe Masterpiece or I Don't Give A. But it's just all screwed up now... how would any single of hers pick up enough momentum, at this point, to become a hit and/or generate any extra album sales? It's a real shame, because this is a quality album. Not like Hard Shit. That deserved to fail - I don't think Madonna gave a hard shit about that album.

Poor M seriously! Now she might have to sit down before concerts and talk to some local twat in the next city to move more concert tickets?!

I miss the day's when she could just simply flip off Kurt Loder before the show and have it broadcast live on MTV. :lol:

Poor M seriously! Now she might have to sit down before concerts and talk to some local twat in the next city to move more concert tickets?!

I miss the day's when she could just simply flip off Kurt Loder before the show and have it broadcast live on MTV. :lol:

It says live FROM the show so I'm guessing they will try to beam out performances and not have interviews and stuff. Has Madonna ever done promotion while ON tour (apart from Girlie Talk).

Exactly! Everybody always talks about how GMAYL was the perfect Superbowl song. Why does the theme of the first single and the Superbowl performance have to coordinate? Has anyone else ever done that? Yes, it was the most-watched performance of her career, but that doesn't mean the song has to have anything to do with the game! We didn't need a song with cheerleading chants! I think Love Spent or Turn Up The Radio should have been first. TUTR would have been KILLER performed live on the SB. Next single after that should have been Beautiful Killer. To me, those are the strongest album tracks. After that, maybe Masterpiece or I Don't Give A. But it's just all screwed up now... how would any single of hers pick up enough momentum, at this point, to become a hit and/or generate any extra album sales? It's a real shame, because this is a quality album. Not like Hard Shit. That deserved to fail - I don't think Madonna gave a hard shit about that album.

She became cheesy and cringe. I can't imagine M releasing a song like GMAYL or 4 Minutes 12 years ago...I miss her when she was actually cool!

She became cheesy and cringe. I can't imagine M releasing a song like GMAYL or 4 Minutes 12 years ago...I miss her when she was actually cool!

I guess that's the sad truth - she's not cool anymore. I love her to DEATH - I do!!! But I feel like the only reason I love the new album as much as I do is because I have loved her for so long. Because I feel like I know her, and I can feel her in her new music. There are glorious moments on this album, gorgeous melodies, inventive lyrics (that I hope she wrote). It's not "cool" per se, but that's okay because it's GOOD! But when she tries to be cool, she fails. Like "Heartbeat"... the "HUH! Get down Uh HUH Get down" part... ugh, sounds like she's constipated.

:clap:

Where are Neutrocks and Kurt 420 with the 4 paragraphs about "she is now a touring act "

I bet that gaga woman is loving this messdna era.... :stir:

Maybe. But Caca is not in a very good position either. Her career is fading quicker than a ray of light.

Let's not twist things. "Girl Gone Wild" is the flop that isn't catching on. "Give Me All Your Luvin'" was perfect as a lead/buzz single accompanied by a great video, huge Superbowl exposure and it extended her record of Top 10 singles despite having leaked in the previous calendar year.

"Girl Gone Wild", released just a month after "GMAYL", has been out for 5 weeks now and isn't working.