MDNA Promo Discussion - "non-traditional campaign"?

Apples388

robbie williams deal was for 4 albums. madonna's and jay-z's were for 3 each. jay-z's included roc nation, but madonna's didn't. and madonna's doesn't include copyrights, unlike robbie williams. so in terms of value madonna's could be the highest.

If I'm not mistaken, it's not a must for Madonna to release any album but it's a must for her to tour.

But if she does (release an album), she'll get advances around $20million for each album.

Per usual....thanks for the info groovyguy! :) I'm glad we finally got to see a real breakdown/comparison of the numbers. I find it interesting that between Robbie Williams, Jay-Z and Madonna, Madonna got the lowest advance at $120 million. I was also surprised to see that Robbie Williams deal was made back in 2002!? I had no idea that these 360 deals were being made that long ago. Why was it highly publicized that Madonna was the first to do this??

Seeing the breakdown in numbers, it's no wonder things are the way they are. Since the focus is going to be on tours, here is to hoping M and her team will find new and innovative ways of presenting her music each time she tours to keep things fresh.

So Madonna would have to sell like 35-40 million copies of MDNA to equal what she would make on tour! :lol:

Not enough promo in the world!!

I think it was because Madonna went with Live Nation who are a concert promoter and not a record company. EMI were a record company (that made a massive mistake with Williams who'd dumped Guy Chambers).

Remeber though, revenue is different to profit. A world tour costs a lot more than album distribution. Take the costs out of the revenue and then see what the final figures are between staging a live show and releasing an album.

This is why I can't wait until the tour begins.All of these negative news reports on MDNA's sales will be forgotten.The media will be focusing on her dazzling show,and how it's selling out everywhere.

No, it will still be a topic of discussion, "the show was heavy with tracks from the album MDNA and many of the audience did not know the songs and came alive for the classics"

If the show is 7-8 MDNA songs, they seriously need to start promoting the album

According to Guy Oseary the tour is the MDNA promotion! :doofus:

No, it will still be a topic of discussion, "the show was heavy with tracks from the album MDNA and many of the audience did not know the songs and came alive for the classics"

Either way people r somewhat of an idiot when going 2 c an artist and don't buy/listen 2 the new album. Regardless of who they go 2 c.

It's been like that since the beginning of rock 'n roll. That's why people tour.

Guest bluejean

I don't even care if Madonna's tour sales decline because those idiots don't know 1/2 the songs. It'll just make it easier for us, the fans, to get good tickets in the future.

Plus look at any tour by any current artist, they rarely do just their hits. Most of them don't even have enough hits to fill more than 1/2 a show. Lady Gaga (dare I use that comparison) only has 11 hits to date.

When I saw David Bowie I only knew 1/2 the songs, and yes everyone got 10x more excited everytime he did a big hit but we didn't walk out of there complaining. It's a good balance. Sticky & Sweet was a good balance and I bet MDNA is as well. If she pulls a Drowned World or Girlie Show well THAT would be a mistake. The days where she can get away with that are gone

Guest bluejean

And why are 1/2 the people on this forum literally obsessed with what haters are saying? If you're a fan you should love this album and be excited about the tour. Do you need the album to sell 10 million copies to enjoy it? I don't. I don't care what anyone else thinks about it/her.

Growing up loads of people thought Madonna was shit/old/untalented/for gay people/a has been etc. Who cares.

And why are 1/2 the people on this forum literally obsessed with what haters are saying? If you're a fan you should love this album and be excited about the tour. Do you need the album to sell 10 million copies to enjoy it? I don't. I don't care what anyone else thinks about it/her.

Growing up loads of people thought Madonna was shit/old/untalented/for gay people/a has been etc. Who cares.

If you don't want to talk about it fine, but don't come to a thread where people DO want to talk about it. Fuck off to another thread to talk about her hair colour.

I don't even care if Madonna's tour sales decline because those idiots don't know 1/2 the songs. It'll just make it easier for us, the fans, to get good tickets in the future.

Plus look at any tour by any current artist, they rarely do just their hits. Most of them don't even have enough hits to fill more than 1/2 a show. Lady Gaga (dare I use that comparison) only has 11 hits to date.

When I saw David Bowie I only knew 1/2 the songs, and yes everyone got 10x more excited everytime he did a big hit but we didn't walk out of there complaining. It's a good balance. Sticky & Sweet was a good balance and I bet MDNA is as well. If she pulls a Drowned World or Girlie Show well THAT would be a mistake. The days where she can get away with that are gone

Also... why would anyone at this point of her career, think they could go to a current show of Madonna's and think she won't perform new songs from her latest album? That's what most artists do. They record an album and that album serves as the soundtrack to the tour, plus whatever older hits the artist prefers to perform. So yeah, I don't really feel sorry for anyone who comes to a Madonna show, and leaves disappointed because she performed her new songs over a lot of her old ones. Madonna isn't the sort of artist who puts on a GREATEST HITS show. Her closest was probably RIT, but even then much of that tour included many songs from AMERICAN LIFE, and from what I can tell a lot of people left quite satisfied.

In other words, don't be a dumb shit and go to a Madonna show expecting she's going to sing all her old hits when she has a bunch of new songs she is excited to perform.

Exactly. It seems to me that there are some fans who are obsessed with her selling millions of albums and charting high, so it will justify it being a great album to them. That's a load of crap. A great album is great album no matter if the masses make it a huge hit. There are plenty of fantastic... if not stellar albums by plenty of artists who don't have even one hit song from their album. If the album is great, then no matter how Madonna chooses to promote it and how some silly critic negatively criticizes shouldn't matter to you.

Okay, so she'll be doing an interview on the Rock Center show. Its a rather serious/political show on NBC (thank god)

During her long career, Madonna has been pretty media savvy. So it’s astonishing that she is talking to low-rated “Rock Center With Brian Williams” this week. Doesn’t she want to get her message out?

Maybe she’s a Harry Smith fan. He does the interview at 9 p.m. Wednesday on NBC (WESH-Channel 2 locally).

NBC News said that Madonna will talk about how her new album debuted atop the charts, then took a huge drop. NBC News also said that Madonna talks about “the difficulties of parenthood, and how she reacted when she found out her daughter Lourdes was caught smoking.”

In other segments, Lester Holt talks to Jamaican sprinting superstar Usain Bolt, and Ted Koppel compares presidential elections in the United States and France, where there are no political ads.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment_tv_tvblog/2012/04/madonna-talks-to-harry-smith-on-rock-center.html

Okay, so she'll be doing an interview on the Rock Center show. Its a rather serious/political show on NBC (thank god)

Madonna will be talking to "Rock Center With Brian Williams" this week.

Harry Smith does the interview at 9 p.m. Wednesday April 18th, 2012 on "NBC" ("WESH-Channel 2" locally).

"NBC News" said that Madonna will talk about how her new album debuted atop the charts.

"NBC News" also said that Madonna talks about "the difficulties of parenthood, and how she reacted when she found out her daughter Lourdes was caught smoking."

source: orlandosentinel

I'm excited to see what she says about Lola :lol:

During her long career, Madonna has been pretty media savvy. So it’s astonishing that she is talking to low-rated “Rock Center With Brian Williams” this week. Doesn’t she want to get her message out?

Maybe she’s a Harry Smith fan. He does the interview at 9 p.m. Wednesday on NBC (WESH-Channel 2 locally).

NBC News said that Madonna will talk about how her new album debuted atop the charts, then took a huge drop. NBC News also said that Madonna talks about “the difficulties of parenthood, and how she reacted when she found out her daughter Lourdes was caught smoking.”

sounds like it'll be more interesting than i thought

thanx nikki!

Guest bluejean

If you don't want to talk about it fine, but don't come to a thread where people DO want to talk about it. Fuck off to another thread to talk about her hair colour.

Last time I checked this isn't the "Omg Madonna is flopping, the world is ending" thread (although it's turned into that.) I do want to talk/read about the promo campaign or lack there of. I was just asking a question and giving my input. No need to tell me to fuck off.

Guest bluejean

Anyway I personally think this album didn't have a strong first single. It's a very strong album but nothing jumps out as a obvious hit first single like Hung Up or Music. Turn Up The Radio would have done better but I don't think it would have been massive. Gang Bang has potential but there's the issue of it being not suitable for radio.

Anyway I personally think this album didn't have a strong first single. It's a very strong album but nothing jumps out as a obvious hit first single like Hung Up or Music. Turn Up The Radio would have done better but I don't think it would have been massive. Gang Bang has potential but there's the issue of it being not suitable for radio.

gang bang for europe and girl gone wild or i'm addicted for the US.. (although I do think that Im addicted with the MDNA references would have been an amazing first single worldwide, but I think most of europe expects something different from Madonna. just my opinion)

Guest bluejean

I'm not sure 'I'm Addicted' would have done very well at all. I think 'Girl Gone Wild' would have done better than GMAYL if it had the push that GMAYL love had. Maybe top 5 in the US.

This is why I can't wait until the tour begins.All of these negative news reports on MDNA's sales will be forgotten.The media will be focusing on her dazzling show,and how it's selling out everywhere.

but maybe it will be a little late for the album

In other segments, Lester Holt talks to Jamaican sprinting superstar Usain Bolt, and Ted Koppel compares presidential elections in the United States and France, where there are no political ads.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment_tv_tvblog/2012/04/madonna-talks-to-harry-smith-on-rock-center.html

better than nothing

To me, it really comes down to the lack of radio airplay. I don't think it matters what song they could have released, I think we'd be fighting the same fight here. I know a lot of people think TUTR would have fared better, and maybe it would have, but I highly doubt it. GMAYL potential seemed logical since it did include a pretty hot rap act of the moment with it. So I totally understand why Madonna and Interscope were on board with that being the first single as well as the tie in for Superbowl. Though, Nicki has over saturated the market with being featured on a lot of tracks in the last year. As for "Girl Gone Wild", I'm sorry to say, but no matter how one wants to try to justify that it isn't the right first or second single, I disagree. It's exactly what radio is playing which goes back to the fact, radio just doesn't want to play new Madonna music. Therefore, TUTR would have and most likely (if it is a third single) fail to do any better.

Those pining for GANG BANG to being a single to help salvage the album, are being unrealistic. I don't even believe on an international level that it would work. I don't believe radio would play it anywhere. It's just too dark and violent for pop radio. Do I think it should be abandoned all together as being featured on the album? No. I do think that it should become a VIDEO single. I think an epic and/or controversial violent video could muster up some interest. This idea of trying to get Quentin Tarentino could work, but the thing is that the longer it sits on the back burner, the more contrived it becomes. With both Madonna and Quentin being super busy it just adds to that complication.

I'm game for whatever her team decides to release. I love the album, but the fact remains, most record companies wouldn't lay out anymore money to the artist for future singles/videos after their first two haven't produced. But anything can happen. I suspect TUTR if becomes a single will get a live concert footage video.

This is the earlier interview from a few years ago she did with this guy

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-500185_162-662223.html?tag=contentMain;contentBody

It says 2009 in that article, but there is no way it was. :lol: It has to be around 2005? I hope she doesn't bully him & I hope he asks some interesting questions. I like the interview she gave about performing on stage, but it was too short.