MDNA Promo Discussion - "non-traditional campaign"?

Apples388

Pop is a young persons game

So why's she still doing pop then? (btw I'm being facetious I know what you meant)

Pop may be a young persons game, but squillion selling albums are a Coldplay, Adele, Susan Boyle, Amy Winehouse, MADONNA game. Obviously Adele is young but her music isn't. I don't think she has to compete with the Rihannas of this world -for the money they spend promoting Rihanna compared to the distinctly average album sales, they may as well cut out the middle man and just buy the albums themselves. Madonna is in a different league, and when she offers something genuinely compelling, the public gets on board.

She's not done. She simply is in another part of the pop business right now. She will never be done. But being in that part of pop means that she's nearer to Sting and Rolling Stones now than Rihanna, and that's pretty clear looking at what has happened in the last 4 years.

I'm falling in love with you Karby. :clap:

Not to get too deep and away from the topic here but honestly, I think fans tend to view this negatively because Madonna getting OLD means THEY are getting OLD. We want our favorite girl to still be "young and hip" and in the categories with who is hot right now. But let's consider the fact that 9 times out of 10, the Britney's, Rihanna's and Gaga's of the world will NEVER reach the "elite" status that Madonna has entered because they will dry up and fall off because people just don't care about them the way people care about Madonna. She'll ALWAYS have a place one way or another. Maybe not on the pop charts or best selling albums at the end of the year lists (although she prob will this year) but as a performer and star she'll always be above what's currently "hot".

SO MANY PEOPLE would disagree with you on that but I wouldn't. I mean, they're all REAL Madonna, even Hard Candy, no matter how you look at it. It's Madonna.

Being cheeky dear. I know all incarnations are equally Madonna.

Why are people regurgitating arguments that we already went over during (groan) Hard Candy? We already know she's a heritage act, we said that years ago, whatevs. :confused:

And Cherilyn is a hors catégorie, "Believe" was a phenomenal pop song that rarely come about - one that was actually groundbreaking as well and with its vocoder, set the tone for much of what was to come in the 21st century, and even in Madonna's work. That is likely to remain a one-off for a long time. And Madonna's plastic surgeries were a whole lot better than Cher's!

And Madonna had a hit in her 50's with 4M. Of course you will do everything you can to try and dispute that as being a REAL Madonna hit.

I'm so over this fucking comparison to Cher's fluke hit at age 52. Her last hit PRIOR to that was 10 years earlier and 13 years later we are STILL waiting for the worldwide, monster smash hit follow up to Believe.

I'm sorry to say this, but just reading your posts over the years, you seem to take some twisted pleasure in gloating when Madonna underperforms and love to twist it to make it sound like she's underperforming even when she's hugely successful. Forgive me if I'm wrong but I SWEAR I remember you trying to argue that HC/S&S were flops just because of your own personal bad experience at a show. In the post above you are literally ROTFL that she's doing "damage control"....mind you that stuff could've been planned ANYWAYS but now that fans like yourself are about to blow a gasket on Twitter, they are just REVEALING this information so you guys will shut the fuck up. OF COURSE though, you don't even consider that and just run around in every post screaming DAMAGE CONTROL DAMAGE CONTROL...OMG I WAS SO RIGHT SHE LISTENED TO ME...DAMAGE CONTROL!!! So this is just for you.....

:clap::clap::clap:

There's your applause. You are a marketing genius. You know all. Madonna and Guy took your words to heart and you are now a legend. WE LOVE YOU!

:manson:

Oh PLEASE GET A GRIP. I loved the Confessions era, I loved RIT. I loved the ROL era and everything before. I have been to every tour except the Virgin tour (which didn't visit Europe)

I have been to her mini concerts. movie premieres and record store promo. I love almost everything she has done. I have stated before that I think MDNA is a great album - her best ages.

I just think the non existent promo for this album is a mess. I doubt these tv interviews were pre planned as her team said no promo as there is no time they are rehearsing.

for the tour. I do think there is a lot of back peddling over this non traditional promo. I did state that S&S round 1 was awful because I saw it in a Stadium where the sound was dreadful and my experience wasn't great. I saw S&S round 2 in an arena and it was much better not that I have anything explain anything to you. Why don't you use the ignore button? I'm just about to!

So why's she still doing pop then? (btw I'm being facetious I know what you meant)

Pop may be a young persons game, but squillion selling albums are a Coldplay, Adele, Susan Boyle, Amy Winehouse, MADONNA game. Obviously Adele is young but her music isn't. I don't think she has to compete with the Rihannas of this world -for the money they spend promoting Rihanna compared to the distinctly average album sales, they may as well cut out the middle man and just buy the albums themselves. Madonna is in a different league, and when she offers something genuinely compelling, the public gets on board.

Well, Madonna still does pop because she's ALWAYS done dance/pop and that's what her fans enjoy. All the sounds she's explored over the years have their roots based in dance/pop obviously and I don't think she should change that just because she may not be able to compete with Rihanna commercially. Madonna IS in a different league, that's why she can make a quality dance/pop album like MDNA (at least that's the general consensus this time around) and not necessarily play the game with Rihanna and Gaga. Although I feel when all is said and done MDNA will end up a top seller for the year worldwide (on the lines of HC in comparison to it's competition that year...albeit selling less than HC), it may not always be that way. The measure of success of her eras is so much more than radio airplay and album sales....2 major uphill battles for her regardless of quality (as MDNA has proven).

You must have the patience of a SAINT to have the CD sitting there and not put it in. You're in for a treat though, the three bonus songs are excellent.

I know it!!!! I heard a minutes¡ of all of them...but I want to have three new songs next month!!!!

Oh PLEASE GET A GRIP. I loved the Confessions era, I loved RIT. I loved the ROL era and everything before. I have been to every tour except the Virgin tour (which didn't visit Europe)

I have been to her mini concerts. movie premieres and record store promo. I love almost everything she has done. I have stated before that I think MDNA is a great album - her best ages.

I just think the non existent promo for this album is a mess. I doubt these tv interviews were pre planned as her team said no promo as there is no time they are rehearsing.

for the tour. I do think there is a lot of back peddling over this non traditional promo. I did state that S&S round 1 was awful because I saw it in a Stadium where the sound was dreadful and my experience wasn't great. I saw S&S round 2 in an arena and it was much better not that I have anything explain anything to you. Why don't you use the ignore button? I'm just about to!

Because I don't use the ignore button for anybody! You are certainly entitled to your opinion of how the album promo is a mess and many agree with you but let's not act like you've said it in such a calm, matter of fact way as you did in this post. Re-read some of your posts....MELTDOWN doesn't begin to describe it. I'm just sayin.....why does everything have to "spun"?? Not expecting an answer btw...just asking rhetorically.

And it's great to hear your second S&S experience was better because YES if I were you at that first show I would be HIGHLY PISSED.

I am so proud of this thread. It's almost like I gave birth to it. I feel just like Ripley when she identified with the Alien-Human hybrid as her child.

alien-resurrection-ripley.jpg

(yes the Alien-Human hybrid is all 18 pages of this thread)

I am so proud of this thread. It's almost like I gave birth to it. I feel just like Ripley when she identified with the Alien-Human hybrid as her child.

alien-resurrection-ripley.jpg

(yes the Alien-Human hybrid is all 18 pages of this thread)

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Guest bluejean

That is true but unfortunately even her fans don't think Gang Bang would have worked as a lead single. I disagree. Are you suggesting Madonna do adult contemporary music again that reflects her age? I think that just wouldn't work because a) her fans don't want it and b) it wouldn't suit her style of stage show that she puts on.

I think fans tend to view this negatively because Madonna getting OLD means THEY are getting OLD.

:lol: You could be onto something there. I personally don't mind if Madonna flops, I don't live vacariously through Madonna's career highs and lows. I just enjoy the music.

Why are people regurgitating arguments that we already went over during (groan) Hard Candy?

Because people believed that the musical direction was a shit one and that she would turn it around with this album and that that would make all the difference and she'd have a "comeback." Personally I think that could have happened if they'd released a good lead single. But I'm not convinced any of the songs on MDNA had the potential to be huge hits. TUTR could have been top 10 in the UK and top 5 in the US though.

let's not act like you've said it in such a calm, matter of fact way as you did in this post. Re-read some of your posts....MELTDOWN doesn't begin to describe it.

:clap: Here here. I've never heard anyone drone on so much in a repetitive manner. Sorry markm but its true. Lighten up abit. And no I will not use the ignore button either, the drama is too entertaining :lol:

Guest bluejean

I truly feel like in some ways she's setting a new precedent for how success will be determined for a performer. As always, she's gotta be the speedboat and the "Rihanna's and Gaga's" on their "jet skies" will catch up to her eventually.

Well the fact of the matter is there have often been whispers those people are not making alot of money. Gaga was said to have LOST money on her last tour. Rihanna may have caught up since she's a reasonably solid touring act now. One thing is certain Madonna would have made way more money than any of those people.

Guest Coked Up Baby Boy

I haven't got the album yet.

You know, during the hour or so it takes to browse this forum you could just play the album at the same time. You don't need to hear it within 24 hours of it being released, i understand people have lives, but unless you're boating through the RIVER GANGES for the next 6 monhts, i really don't understand how as a fan you haven't heard this record yet after these few weeks it's been out?

That's weird, sorry.

333z8df.jpg

Guest Xanthium

You best believe that if I had BB trouble I would break into someone's house ROBERT DOWNEY JR. STYLE in order to hear the new album. TRUST.

He's an aloof fan. You know, raw. Gritty. Lives on the edge.

Style. Icon. Illuminati. Pose. Real. Grit. The Truth Is Out There. Curtains. Vigilant. Aware. V For Vendetta. Lucky Guy.

- DEAD -

Although seriously, anyone who has not heard the album by now has no business posting in this thread.