MDNA Promo Discussion - "non-traditional campaign"?

Apples388

^ Oh haven't seen that. I thought Jimmy Fallon was just literally a computer chat, never knew there was video. God I've got so much catching up to do with this era - and since there will be nothing else I better get to it. :lmao:

Guest bluejean

I'm sorry, but I can't believe how seriously some have taken that "i have to pay the rent" comment. I think she said in jest...fuck I KNOW she said that in jest. :lol: That's a total Madonna comment to make. She's said stuff like that in the past "a girls gotta make a living somehow".

Yes. She said the exact same thing when Molly Meldrum said in 1993 how well 'Sex' (of all things) had sold. It's a total Madonnaism and she does not literally mean it.

^ Oh haven't seen that. I thought Jimmy Fallon was just literally a computer chat, never knew there was video. God I've got so much catching up to do with this era - and since there will be nothing else I better get to it. :lmao:

:lmao:

What's your favorite song? "Gang Bang...uh..Hmm. yeah". :asian: Next question... :lol:

Guest bluejean

How anyone could fall behind this era is beyond me :lmao:

lady gags is playing in a small arena in places like the netherlands& belgium. even springsteen and bon jovi couldn't sell out a stadium here. only U2 could.

Sorry Dear, but that's not true. Robbie Williams, The Rolling Stones, Tina Turner ALL SOLD OUT.

Gaga, is playing Antwerp Sports Palace, the third most succesful music venue in the world, it's bigger than Bercy & Madison Square Garden.

The Only reason why she (and Madonna) r playing the "smaller" venue in Amsterdam is 'cuz Live Nation is promoting this brand new venue.

Sorry Dear, but that's not true. Robbie Williams, The Rolling Stones, Tina Turner ALL SOLD OUT.

Gaga, is playing Antwerp Sports Palace, the third most succesful music venue in the world, it's bigger than Bercy & Madison Square Garden.

The Only reason why she (and Madonna) r playing the "smaller" venue in Amsterdam is 'cuz Live Nation is promoting this brand new venue.

Okay, I didn't know. I just heard about Springsteen having to move to sports palace due to low sales and bon jovi playing for half a stadium a few years ago. I rarely hear about artists performing at bauduin's stadium aside from U2 when they're on tour, or other rock bands.

Okay, I didn't know. I just heard about Springsteen having to move to sports palace due to low sales and bon jovi playing for half a stadium a few years ago. I rarely hear about artists performing at bauduin's stadium aside from U2 when they're on tour, or other rock bands.

All that happened in later years, after those acts performed here a few times every couple of years. But Tina is damn impressive, at one point she did Werchter TWICE.

Her last show in Atwerp sold out 5 times. :wow:

All that happened in later years, after those acts performed here a few times every couple of years. But Tina is damn impressive, at one point she did Werchter TWICE.

and i have never seen her live!!!!! damn it! :rant:

thats because tina doesnt tour as often as madonna. madonna toured in 2001, 2004, 2006, 2008, 2009......not hard to imagine that the not so fanatics would pass..

Well for a lot of markets that's not true, in fact it's the opposite. In Many European countries Madonna toured in 2008-2009 for the 1st times, sometimes

just one date. Tina did multiple dates throughout her career.

This has nothing to do with being ungrateful and more to do with not wanting an artist (many fans and myself have followed for several years) to blatantly tarnish if not destroy her own reputation and achievements through extremely poor decision making. Personally, I do not buy the whole 'touring makes me feel connected with my fans' crap...if that were the case then why did it take her 8 years to tour between 1993 and 2001? She is doing the tour for the cash plain and simple. This so-called "non-traditional" promotion is clearly not working. Other fans and myself are anxious because we know just how brilliant the MDNA album is! She is allowing these thoughtless decisions to be made time and again and it is a cause for concern for her loyal fanbase. Call us 'melt-down' merchants or whatever you want - we care...or maybe the fact that we give a shit is our biggest mistake and perhaps we should transfer our passion to other artists who make a more worthwhile effort.

Madonna has always been part business minded and part artistic minded...pretty evenly IMO. It's funny you mention that 8 year gap where she didn't tour because that's back when album sales were the bulk of a performers revenue. BA, GS etc she probably wasn't making as much with those tours as she did with album sales so being the smart business woman she is, she focused on albums. NOW the roles have reversed. Were you calling her selfish, greedy back then for dissing her fans for 8 years? Some of her fans were in meltdown mode back then because we thought she didn't care about performing anymore.

I agree, perhaps if having music, videos and live performances you love isn't enough for you then perhaps a more up and coming artist who is just flourishing would be more for you. They would have a lot more to prove than Madonna does at this point so they pretty much HAVE to do the endless rounds of promo in one way or another. To me it's incredibly sad that despite loving the music fans are turning on her because she isn't doing things THEIR way. I find it sad that a fan needs to feel that involved in her career instead of just sitting back and letting what happens happen. Fortunately (or unfortunately) we have Twitter now to talk with Guy, what about in 1993 though? Would you and others have been standing outside Maverick headquarters demanding promotion? It just all seems soooooo overly dramatic to me especially if you like the work. That's all it boils down to in the end. Ten years from now the tour, the promo all of that will be done, you will still have the music to go back to. Hopefully one day you can enjoy it without all the distraction. :)

Good music + good promo = commercial success. It's not a case of one or the other.

She performed on the National Lottery (!!!) for goodness' sake when Ray of Light was out - similar situation really (first studio album in ages; people were starting to write her off etc.) That show is about as low-rent as it comes in the UK. Result? Best selling album in ages and of course "Frozen" became her first UK Number 1 in eight years.

Things have not changed all that much really. A Facebook online chat and a couple of Twitter chats will just not make do if she wants to reach out beyond her hardcore fanbase.

But I suppose she doesn't.

Madonna has always been part business minded and part artistic minded...pretty evenly IMO. It's funny you mention that 8 year gap where she didn't tour because that's back when album sales were the bulk of a performers revenue. BA, GS etc she probably wasn't making as much with those tours as she did with album sales so being the smart business woman she is, she focused on albums. NOW the roles have reversed. Were you calling her selfish, greedy back then for dissing her fans for 8 years? Some of her fans were in meltdown mode back then because we thought she didn't care about performing anymore.

I agree, perhaps if having music, videos and live performances you love isn't enough for you then perhaps a more up and coming artist who is just flourishing would be more for you. They would have a lot more to prove than Madonna does at this point so they pretty much HAVE to do the endless rounds of promo in one way or another. To me it's incredibly sad that despite loving the music fans are turning on her because she isn't doing things THEIR way. I find it sad that a fan needs to feel that involved in her career instead of just sitting back and letting what happens happen. Fortunately (or unfortunately) we have Twitter now to talk with Guy, what about in 1993 though? Would you and others have been standing outside Maverick headquarters demanding promotion? It just all seems soooooo overly dramatic to me especially if you like the work. That's all it boils down to in the end. Ten years from now the tour, the promo all of that will be done, you will still have the music to go back to. Hopefully one day you can enjoy it without all the distraction. :)

:doh::lmao:

well in M's defense when she came here for the first time they also oversold and even found a way to make space for 5000 more concert goers. :thumbsup: SS was just.. bad. she should have come here with the Reinvention tour for the first time.

AMEN

Oh and this touring thing can only keep working as long she continues to have hit singles and albums

that dont fall off the charts after a few weeks. The general public are not going to attend her shows to

stand and listen to a half a show of music they are not familiar with. Unless of course she decides to do a Cher

and just do her Greatest Hits.

They've been buying her tickets and "standing around not knowing half the songs" for about 20 years now, since Erotica/GS. As I mentioned before, if her new music were always what drew the fans in, then why were so many butthurt over DWT setlist? AND that was her big "comeback" album when she could do no wrong and everything was unicorns and rainbows. :D Yet people still wanted fucking Vogue and LAV.....hit or no hit....the MAJORITY STILL want Vogue and LAV. I think people go to a Madonna show expecting to hear some classics they grew up with and see a spectacle. Fortunately for her she totally obliterates other performers and many leave at least liking the music they heard in conjunction with the spectacle they saw. Doesn't mean their gonna rush out and buy her latest album tomorrow, but they will probably tell a friend how awesome she was live.....good word of mouth is always the best promo! :)

No acunting 4 taste :fag:

:chuckle:

I think Mylene farmer sold out half the stadium in Brussels in 2008. I have no idea were the Madonna ticket tally is at right now.

But the album seems 2 b doing fine. WITHOUT promo :D

Good music + good promo = commercial success. It's not a case of one or the other.

She performed on the National Lottery (!!!) for goodness' sake when Ray of Light was out - similar situation really (first studio album in ages; people were starting to write her off etc.) That show is about as low-rent as it comes in the UK. Result? Best selling album in ages and of course "Frozen" became her first UK Number 1 in eight years.

Things have not changed all that much really. A Facebook online chat and a couple of Twitter chats will just not make do if she wants to reach out beyond her hardcore fanbase.

But I suppose she doesn't.

And let's keep it real here, her key demographic aren't spring chickens anymore. The whole innernet thing...well that boat sailed when her eggs dried up. :fag:

I see what you're saying but I just take issue with the word "ungrateful". A better word for the situation would be "dissatisfied". When you use the word "ungrateful" you make it seem like Madonna is some selfless parent that has slaved away in order to take care of her spoiled, thankless children. Madonna's fans have given her PLENTY over the last 30 YEARS, namely their money!

ABSOLUTELY! Obviously she wouldn't be where she is today without us and she's made it known several times she is grateful for our support. With that said, it's not like she comes to each of us holds a gun to our heads and makes buy her albums/concert tickets. :lol: As a fan I TOTALLY understand wanting to see her do well and see her talk about, perform the songs on TV for the whole world to see. I get all that and I love when she does that too. For me, I feel enjoyment when listening to MDNA so therefore the money I spent on it seems like a good investment. Her lack of promo doesn't change how I feel about the music.

Maybe *I* am old school as I can understand the disappointment of her not doing promo but some of the reactions I've read here and the Tweets I've happened to see are just SO DRAMATIC to me. :lol: I would just feel awkward throwing insults and barking orders at her manager like that. :confused:

She didn't tour in the 90's because she didn't yet cotton on to just how lucrative and important it is to tour for a pop artist. When she reaped the funds after the Drowned World Tour that's when she found out where the real money was at. This whole 'she has nothing left to prove' shit spewed by fans who would happily accept her turd on a plate is simply pathetic. Just because she's an established artist does not mean that she should become complacent or rest on her laurels. It's not a case of fans wanting her to do things their way - it's the case that her album is tanking like a loose haemorrhoid from a 747 window and she is getting bad publicity. She needs to get out there and do some public appearances and performances so that people who can't afford to see her tour will have awareness of her products. It's that simple.

I would be quite happy Madonna didn't learn to slack line and used the time to knock together a TV performance.

I really can't see that adding much to a live show.

AMEN. PREACH!

tumblr_lpduwhRwkz1qhyv7k.gif

She didn't tour in the 90's because she didn't yet cotton on to just how lucrative and important it is to tour for a pop artist. When she reaped the funds after the Drowned World Tour that's when she found out where the real money was at.

?? she was supposed to tour for BS and ROL, but she was tied up with movies.

She didn't tour in the 90's because she didn't yet cotton on to just how lucrative and important it is to tour for a pop artist. When she reaped the funds after the Drowned World Tour that's when she found out where the real money was at. This whole 'she has nothing left to prove' shit spewed by fans who would happily accept her turd on a plate is simply pathetic. Just because she's an established artist does not mean that she should become complacent or rest on her laurels. It's not a case of fans wanting her to do things their way - it's the case that her album is tanking like a loose haemorrhoid from a 747 window and she is getting bad publicity. She needs to get out there and do some public appearances and performances so that people who can't afford to see her tour will have awareness of her products. It's that simple.

:clap:

:doh::lmao:

Would you have been standing outside of Maverick headquarters boycotting if you were not satisfied with her promo in 1993? :horn:

Hopefully Madonna has sold enough MDNA to at least make this months rent right? :(