MDNA Promo Discussion - "non-traditional campaign"?

Apples388

I've been saying this for months. GMAYL is poop. They could have at least followed it up with something that had potential.

Yes. "Superstar" could have worked. TUTR could have worked.

why don't just give away free album then?

a damn shame she didnt promote this album because it is WITHOUT DOUBT her best album since ROL critics and fans agree,could have been the perfect comeback now its backfired into something ABYSMAL :lmao: oh well at least we have that facebook interview to look back on and the tour to see. jesus christ :lmao: they fucked this one up BAD!

Yep. This album is marvelous and I hate that it will be seen as a flop. But, whatever. I will enjoy it in my own little corner of the universe.

^Exactly. If Madonna and Guy do not want to promote it, what can we do?

I'm still going to enjoy the album.

Exactly. I'd take her performing 20+ songs live than some silly interview that never really gets to the music or one song performance on some TV show. Bring on the tour. Meanwhile, I'm playing the shit out of the album. Nothing anyone says will change that.

Guest Xanthium

The huge drop has been making headlines all over the world, even my local newspaper picked the story.

NON-TRADITIONAL PROMO :lmao:

Guest groovyguy

Roger Friedman is LOSING HIS MIND. How wonderful! He is updating rankings of all versions of MDNA on Amazon by the minute :lmao::lmao::lmao: THIS IS NEWS! Forbes can't possibly put up with this much longer.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/rogerfriedman/2012/04/11/madonna-mdna-is-doa-total-sales-collapse-as-amazon-drops-price-to-5-bucks/

Madonna's 'MDNA' is 'DOA': Total Sales Collapse as Amazon Drops Price to 5 Bucks

UPDATE: Since the original version of this story took off on the Drudge Report–someone–Madonna fans? — got motivated. “MDNA” sales perked up quite a bit on amazon.com, sending the $5 download to number 24. The $12.99 physical CD is now number 396, at 10pm eastern. The $15 deluxe edition has gone to number 16. Whew! Not great news, better than when we started tonight. More updates to come…(It’s not easy to keep up: amazon is selling 9 different versions of “MDNA,” digital and physical, with and without special booklets.)

Earlier:

Madonna’s “MDNA” album is dead. It’s really quite amazing. Amazon.com has dropped the price of downloading “MDNA” to five dollars. On iTunes, the only version of the album on the chart is the explicit one, selling for $14.99. It’s at number 46 on their chart. On hitsdailydouble.com, “MDNA” dropped to number 8 from number 1, with an 87% fall off from the previous week.

The amazon.com situation is much worse. As a physical CD, “MDNA” is just gone. (Updated) The actual deluxe CD, has fallen to number 16. It’s the only one of the many versions of “MDNA” that’s selling at all. This is the second week of release. The clean version download — for $5 — is at #733. The dirty one, so to speak, is around 500. “MDNA” is just…gone. It’s a total sales collapse. It makes you wonder, what happened? Of course, Madonna has done very little publicity. And the inflated first week sales–reported here exclusively–are over now as the “bundling” with concert tickets is finished.

But wow. The deluxe version with a special booklet, for sale at $12.99, is showing up on amazon at number 5,706. Five thousand seven hundred and six.

So what did go wrong? The audience wasn’t interested in vituperative songs with the “f” word scattered through them liberally. Instead of dancing, Madonna was cursing. And what does she have to curse about? She’s a gazillionaire. She does whatever she wants, to whomever she wants, whenever she wants. No one stops her. Her charity in Africa was a bust, and the documentary she made about it was ridiculous. She continues to espouse the “philosophy” of the Kabbalah Center. She flaunts lovers half her age. She talks with a haughty accent. Last year, one of her brothers turned up homeless in Michigan. Madonna seemed not to care.

But even more important: those songs. They weren’t uplifting, and weren’t danceable. There’s no humor. Her competitor and successor, Lady Gaga, speaks to kids with hope and faith. And a beat. The kids could relate to it. Lady Gaga created a community. “MDNA” was like a foreign object from another planet.

What to do now: who knows? “MDNA” has turned into “DOA.”

Am I surprised? The great Madonna songs are still great. “Like a Prayer,” “Into the Groove,” “Causing a Commotion,” “Material Girl,” “Borderline”–they’re all still wonderful. Someone joked today that Madonna has to “go country” now–like Lionel Richie–and re-record all her hits with country stars. As if. But it might time for a tribute album, with younger artists performing her songs.

I can't believe Forbes has resorted to such TRASH reporting. Disgusting. That troll should be relegated to his own blog, at most. Shame on the companies that give him a platform to spread his lies and hate, but hey, they just care about page hits, so there you go.

Guest groovyguy

http://madonnascrapbook.blogspot.com/2012/04/roger-friedmans-hate-toward-madonna.html

Roger Friedman's Hate Toward #Madonna Continues and is Funded by @Forbes Magazine.

Roger Friedman, formerly of and fired by Fox News, has publicly had it out for Madonna for as long as I can remember. Everything from her involvement with the Kabbalah, the adoption of her son, pitting her against Mariah Carey and every other female singer. Appalling that Forbes Magazine has hired him and allows his Madonna public smear campaign to continue via their magazine.

Just read the screen cap below.

tumblr_m2cghoYH5J1qlycwjo2_500.png

This says it all: She does whatever she wants, to whomever she wants, whenever she wants. No one stops her.

Remove Roger Friedman from Forbes.

Write Roger's editor at Forbes: Coats Bateman

Cbateman@forbes.com

Guest groovyguy

I can't believe Forbes has resorted to such TRASH reporting. Disgusting. That troll should be relegated to his own blog, at most. Shame on the companies that give him a platform to spread his lies and hate, but hey, they just care about page hits, so there you go.

It's not about the music. That bitter cunt obviously has a personal vendetta against Madonna.

Not sure what version of the deluxe CD he that fool was looking at- perhaps an import? The regular deluxe was still in the upper reaches of Amazon's chart (and it's not even really sale-priced).

Amazon was selling Nicki Minaj's new album for $5 for download this week, too. So? What's his point?

And -- splitting hairs -- she also doesn't use the 'F' word on the album proper -- only on the deluxe edition. "I Don't Give A" never uses the 'f' word. (Technically, I guess, on "Some Girls" the word is audible, but it's not really even her voice, so it's hardly accurate to say Madonna "liberally" uses the f-word on the album.)

"Gazillionaire"? As a publication focusing on finances, Forbes must be so pleased with the accuracy of his reporting. :doh:

His view of GaGa is ridiculous, as well. A song like "Government Hooker" (which I happen to like) does NOT speak to anyone about hope or faith and does NOT create any sense of community. (He is right that it has a beat, but so do 11 out of 12 tracks on MDNA -- and the fact that "Falling Free" doesn't have a percussion track takes nothing away from its beauty and depth.)

Not sure what version of the deluxe CD he that fool was looking at- perhaps an import? The regular deluxe was still in the upper reaches of Amazon's chart (and it's not even really sale-priced).

I'm sure he saw the same version you did, but why would he write anything good about MDNA?

is he Morgan Pierce in disguise? I'm doubting.

Amazon was selling Nicki Minaj's new album for $5 for download this week, too. So? What's his point?

And -- splitting hairs -- she also doesn't use the 'F' word on the album proper -- only on the deluxe edition. "I Don't Give A" never uses the 'f' word. (Technically, I guess, on "Some Girls" the word is audible, but it's not really even her voice, so it's hardly accurate to say Madonna "liberally" uses the f-word on the album.)

"Gazillionaire"? As a publication focusing on finances, Forbes must be so pleased with the accuracy of his reporting. :doh:

His view of GaGa is ridiculous, as well. A song like "Government Hooker" (which I happen to like) does NOT speak to anyone about hope or faith and does NOT create any sense of community. (He is right that it has a beat, but so do 11 out of 12 tracks on MDNA -- and the fact that "Falling Free" doesn't have a percussion track takes nothing away from its beauty and depth.)

these aren't really his opinions he is just looking to write negative Madonna articles.

a damn shame she didnt promote this album because it is WITHOUT DOUBT her best album since ROL critics and fans agree, could have been the perfect comeback now its backfired into something ABYSMAL :lmao: oh well at least we have that facebook interview to look back on and the tour to see. jesus christ :lmao: they fucked this one up BAD!

They are too focused on promoting gyms, clothing, perfume and a movie

that nobody went to see. Warners must laughing their arses off.

Its the best album she has made in ages and they manage to screw it up completely.

HOT MESS!

They are too focused on promoting gyms, clothing, perfume and a movie

that nobody went to see. Warners must laughing their arses off.

Its the best album she has made in ages and they manage to screw it up completely.

HOT MESS!

Why would Warners laugh? They're making their money either way. The bitch is profitable on the road, plain and simple.

Guy and Madonna have obviously adopted the attitude that record sales just dont matter after the first week and have moved on. It's sad, yes, but at the end of the day, the bitch aint gonna be losing any sleep (or dough, for that matter).

This is Madonna's future, guys. It's time to start living with the reality.

The ToD perfume launch:

@guyoseary's Twitter

"there will be a few tv interviews happening tomorrow night for the album.. but then back into Tour mode.."

Yes Guy there will be major media there covering the event BUT I can bet it's just M going down the line of reporters outside giving her 30 second sound bite that will show up on Extra etc. Yes, she might throw out she's working hard on the tour, her mother, and she has a new CD out. Just because she throws out a one liner about the CD is not really great promotion.

" tv interviews" Umm not exactly... :gross:

I hope I'm wrong.

What a wasted opportunity this album is.It already feels like its the end of it's era, and it barely even started. And to think we won't be getting another album from her for another 2 years or maybe even more. sigh. Oh well, im just thankful for the music, its her best album since ROL and im in love with it.

I think they should release B-day Song as the next and last single, just to piss off everyone even more and cement this fucked up era :lmao:

It feels like an era to me so far tbh. The 2 videos are hot, the album is amazing, the visuals are perfect, the Super Bowl was DELUXE, all we need is one more great video and bam I am happy. I think Guy and Madge were extremely sloppy with their timing and the massive 87% drop could have been TOTALLY avoided, but what can we do now? It's done, it's over with, and life goes on. This tour is going to wipe the slate clean and we are going to totally not care about this anymore in a months time. Trust me on this.

They're gonna have to find some way to get Madonna a hit song if they wanna avoid this being a total bomb, though. Guy has never had to deal with this kind of impending floppage (last time Madonna bombed was American Life when she was with Caresse). Hung Up was one of the biggest Madonna hits ever, and the other 3 singles from Confessions did well too. 4 Minutes was massive and once that did its duty they moved on. I am sure they were hoping Luvin' would do the same thing. Womp womp. Now they're gonna have to play catch-up. IF THEY ARE WILLING TO. And they probably won't.

Interesting that he was tweeting about a performance on TV though. Would be bizarre if that actually happened.

I just can't with some of these comments....all I can say is get a clue people. Since GIRLIE SHOW fans have bitched about the new material vs the amount of old material and it REALLY reached a fevered pitch with DWT....the tour that was promoting the UNTOUCHABLE ROL (and Music)....which were peaks in her career.....yet people STILL wanted the 80's stuff. Yet the next tour, on the heels of a "flop" album she managed to have one of the highest grossing tours of the year...and again after that....and AGAIN after that, beating her own records every time.

Yeah, it sucks that this album will most likely be the lowest selling of her career but I can remember predicting that in 2008 when everybody was bitching about the quality of HC. I distinctly remember saying no matter the quality, or critical reception of her next album it will most likely sell less than HC..... well here we are 4 years later and it looks like that prediction is right on track. Just call me Nostradamus. :sassy:

Step into reality folks....this is 2012 album sales are shit, Madonna is 53 and mostly seen as a legacy artist. She may have a fluke hit here and there and she'll probably continue to have very nice first weeks like she did last week. This is the second era in a row where people are losing their shit and this time it's not even really about the music itself as it was last era. STRANGELY enough the loudest voices this time were the loudest last time....lol.....WHAT. A. SHOCKER. :shock:

Oh, so she's going to do a few TV one-liners for the album now?

Thank the Lord for throwing us a bone! :bad:

Too bad it's all just a little too late (JoJo 7" Edit.) The album's over and done with now.