MDNA Promo Discussion - "non-traditional campaign"?

Apples388

Guest Not4Pussies

when he says once the tour kicks off the whole mdna project will come to life, what the eff is he talking about?

when he says once the tour kicks off the whole mdna project will come to life, what the eff is he talking about?

the tour brings the music to life I guess. In some markets, the album will go back up the charts while she's there.

He stated: "stop worrying. MDNA will be promoted live all over the world..."

So I guess the masterplan is that you get paid when you promote your stuff.

I can see the tour having a good impact in Australia (where she hasn't been for 20 years), but elsewhere I am not so sure it will be a major factor. I am starting to believe that Guy doesn't "know something we don't." He is well aware that the album is going to drop like a rock from now until the tour launch, but there simply isn't time to promote with the rehearsals going on. This is how they planned it and nothing is going to change no matter how many rude fans attack him on Twitter. He should just be real with these folks and say, "Albums don't make that much money anymore, so we are putting all of our focus on the live show." At least it would put an end to the pointless hope for a TV performance.

It would be nice to get at least one more single from MDNA. Perhaps something to kick the tour off and promote the album through the summer? If not, I think we've seen the end of the main promotion for the album.

I think it would be in everyone's best interest to simply look forward to awesome live performances of this album's material. MDNA is one of her best albums in years, and we will definitely get a live show worthy of it.

He stated: "stop worrying. MDNA will be promoted live all over the world..."

So I guess the masterplan is that you get paid when you promote your stuff.

Of course, his plan is going use MDNA Tour footage to promote MDNA album (like a couple months after the album dropped :manson: ). Hope it comes to fucking life as he stated.

from Matt @ Boy Culture

read the full entry here: http://boyculture.typepad.com/boy_culture/2012/04/reloaded-front-loaded.html

" (she has no time to promote the album due to tour rehearsals, but does have an evening to spend promoting the fragrance?) "

:lmao:

Is that true?

Yes!

Madonna at Macy’s in New York this Thursday, April 12 2012 Madonna is having an 'intimate' Q and A session with fans

I really think criticizing her for doing one day of promotion for the fragrance is silly. If she spent that day signing CDs at some nonexistent record store somewhere, it would make zero impact on sales.

Guest bluejean

"Albums don't make that much money anymore, so we are putting all of our focus on the live show."

I'm sure there are reasons why he doesn't come out and say that. Apart from the obvious, that it just sounds bad.

I really think criticizing her for doing one day of promotion for the fragrance is silly. If she spent that day signing CDs at some nonexistent record store somewhere, it would make zero impact on sales.

Agreed. I mean, I understand the frustration about the no-promo campaign, but if she takes out a few hours to plug her whore juice, who cares? The same event for the album wouldn't do anything.

Guest jamesshot

It is only frustrating because it is a damn good album. To expect her touring to help sell the album is...well...it ain't gonna happen. It will have very little impact in most areas. I think the public needs to be somewhat aware of her newer material before they hear it live otherwise there are going to be some...quieter moments...during the show.

She did more appearances for her movie than this CD but I guess we all knew that was going to happen. They are convinced touring is great promotion. Hope they are right.

Guest SuperPop

I blame all the flopping of MDNA on the abysmal first single

surely the no-promo campaign doomed even further the future of the album but the main issue was GAYL

NO-ONE really liked it (except some loons over here) and it flopped EVERYWHERE (surely it must have been her worst ever performing first single..even AL had bigger longevity that this)

I really cannot fathom the fact that they chose the worst song of the album as the first single :manson::manson::manson:

I blame all the flopping of MDNA on the abysmal first single

surely the no-promo campaign doomed even further the future of the album but the main issue was GAYL

NO-ONE really liked it (except some loons over here) and it flopped EVERYWHERE (surely it must have been her worst ever performing first single..even AL had bigger longevity that this)

I really cannot fathom the fact that they chose the worst song of the album as the first single :manson::manson::manson:

Count your blessings. They could have released B'Day Song or Best Friend as the first single.

Guest SuperPop

Count your blessings. They could have released B'Day Song or Best Friend as the first single.

If I also recall well 'Love Spent' initially was included as a bonus track on the deluxe version and not on the regular version of the album..they really do NOT have a clue :manson:

I truly like B-Day song better than GMAYL. At least B-Day song is a song that i don't skip on the CD. :|

Guest Fluorine

i think this non-traditional campaign has flopped, and the only thing stopping mdna from flopping hard is madonna as a brand. the thing is if they want a non-traditional promo to work, they have got to have the goods to back it up so that the momentum can roll on. true, mdna is a good album, but the singles released are just subpar. the first contact anyone will ever have with the album is the single. if the single is mediocore, it just pulls down the desire of the general public to want to get the album. m's team has so many better songs on mdna to choose from, why did they have to choose what they chose?!! if they recognise madonna as a strong brand name, they should know that as long as the song they throw out is very good, people will go for it no matter how uncommercial it may sound, cause well, it's madonna! what's more, do they really intend to rely all on the non-traditional promo? they need to at least have a fall back plan, to promote it with performances and interviews on tv. they can do less of it, but still do it! how can the tour be a reason to cut down on these? the tour can start a month later, and the tickets can still be sold right after superbowl. there would be almost no effect since they can continue to add shows into 2013. the promo however can't wait. once it loses steam it's hard to pick up. and they also lose the chance to hit at any of the chart records. since madonna holds so many records, the right thing to do should be to extend and/or break these records, cause there's no more madonna after she dies. if madonna promoted to death her love child w.e, then why can't she promote mdna? is it not her love child too? is she too love spent from w.e? if only madonna could list herself as a stock and we can own a piece of her lol.

I've actually given this serious thought as a new business model for the music industry. I mean, it seems like nobody really buys records anymore, so why not find a new way to support the artists? In exchange for their investment, shareholders could have first crack at new music and concert tickets and could even help make management decisions if they own enough (just like investing in a company).

Madonna would trade pretty high on this hypothetical exchange, I'd think. She wouldn't be the absolute highest priced (those would be the, err, flavors of the moment), but she'd be a very solid blue chip stock. :p

Looking at the UK, how many tickets have been sold in total? 150,000?

How many of those fans will already have the album? 50%?

When Madonna roles into town, why would that stimulate sales for anyone other than those attending the event? There may be some press the next day but why would that motivate anyone else to go out and buy a new album?

Adele did one appearance at the Brits and it sent her album stratospheric. More than anything her tour did.

I can't wait for the first night to see what happens.

I don't think there is ANY plan to promote this album properly in the UK.

Amazon emailed me last week to say that GGW single was pushed back from Apr 16th to Apr 23rd.

Now it has been pushed back to May 14th.

:zombie:

I've actually given this serious thought as a new business model for the music industry. I mean, it seems like nobody really buys records anymore, so why not find a new way to support the artists? In exchange for their investment, shareholders could have first crack at new music and concert tickets and could even help make management decisions if they own enough (just like investing in a company).

Madonna would trade pretty high on this hypothetical exchange, I'd think. She wouldn't be the absolute highest priced (those would be the, err, flavors of the moment), but she'd be a very solid blue chip stock. :p

i do think its a possible model if there was an alternative stock exchange just for music acts alone. i did, however, check out the listing requirements for nasdaq from here: http://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/121.asp#axzz1rjM1kEcX

the minimum bid price, shareholders and trade volume would be more than easy to reach. as for having one of the next 3 listing standard, madonna easily meets the first. she can shake her legs and easily earn more than $11 million yearly, and of course it's unlikely she would have a net loss in a fiscal year.

in other words, if madonna was a company, she can easily be listed on nasdaq lol.

Well yes, something is not working in here.

it is possible that more people will attend the tour than actual album sold?

I do not know what to think... should we care more about promotion/album sales or album/tour quality?

Does non-promoting means that Madonna does not care? If yes why?

I am really confused by it. Maybe the new show business model is not Madonna because simply is not really Working!

Album sales are not great Kate Perry had so many number one singles in Us with this album but the album did not perform as good; actually to have 6 number one it is quite disappointing (Michael Jackson vs Kate Perry sales)

he just posted on twitter no magazine covers

7 weeks til tour

obviously the album means nothing

Seriously, wtf! The could have done some kick ass photo shoots while she was finishing W.E or recording MDNA. The magazines do this stuff all the time. They sit on the interview/photo shoots and release them when the star's promotion kicks in. I can't ever recall when she had a new CD out and she wasn't on a bunch of covers. I know people say magazines are dead, I would kind of agree, but it reaches out to the non hardcore fans.

Call me crazy or whatever but I feel that she is trying to avoid another leakage of "bad pics" like during the hard candy era... Maybe she feels that those magazines screwed her over.

is it so difficult to destroy the bad pics?

and it seems that GGW won´t be a single in the UK...

Maybe she feels that those magazines screwed her over.

the photos were stolen from her own vaults

whoever responsible hasn't been caught yet but his customers are far more discreet and careful nowadays

so i doubt we'll get another flood of untouched photos anytime soon