MDNA Promo Discussion - "non-traditional campaign"?

Apples388

Aren't you confusing me with someone else? :confused:

Since when am i talking about the charts or radio??? im talking about promotion for what i care! And that is to se MADONNA on TV, magazine covers, interviews, marketing or whatever they can to put her face everywhere for us to feel the MDNA era as we should. Bu whatever, you are off your rocker while im talking about bananas and you are talking about potatoes! :wacko:

I didn't say you did. I realize I quoted you and initially responded to what you were saying, but my response built on previous posts I've read from others and the idea that some think she needs a hit single/album to tour. No need to get insulting. We're just having a silly discussion. :thumbsdown:

Coming late to this so this may have been covered. From what I can see, it's another example of someone thinking that social media will do everything - they just seed an interview, a video, a remix etc and the fans will distribute it and millions upon millions of people will hear it because their friend recommended it. However, the result just seems like she's done the minimal amout of PR for the US and forgotten everyone one else.

It's just not the same as being there!

Look at GaGa and Bieber. Massive twitter and Facebook followings but their chart results don't exactly match up to the hype. Coldplay's Paradise is an example of song that was failing in the UK but went to No.1 after they appeared on X-Factor.

For the last few albums, Madonna's tours have failed to noticeably stimulate album sales. I imagine Celebration will benefit this time around but it will remain to be seen how MDNA will fair. It's hard to get into a track if you've never heard it and they're playing it live.

You need to get exposure to casual listerners via radio and TV. That's how I often find new music, not when I just stick to my tried and tested favourites.

I didn't say you did. I realize I quoted you and initially responded to what you were saying, but my response built on previous posts I've read from others and the idea that some think she needs a hit single/album to tour. No need to get insulting. We're just having a silly discussion. :thumbsdown:

That's ok. There are lots of people here that are focusing on the charts and we even have a forum dedicated to it. I can understand that obsession because she is a current popstar fighting the battle. But for me, as a fan, i miss Madonna and it is a pleasure to see her playing with her current music, creating new looks, talking about music in interviews, singing and photographing for major publications... but i'm happy with the tour, the perfect scenario to me would be a few more months of MDNA exposure and then a world tour. Like the "tradicional" way or whatever. But as i said, bring it on Madonna. :)

That's ok. There are lots of people here that are focusing on the charts and we even have a forum dedicated to it. I can understand that obsession because she is a current popstar fighting the battle. But for me, as a fan, i miss Madonna and it is a pleasure to see her playing with her current music, creating new looks, talking about music in interviews, singing and photographing for major publications... but i'm happy with the tour, the perfect scenario to me would be a few more months of MDNA exposure and then a world tour. Like the "tradicional" way or whatever. But as i said, bring it on Madonna. :)

Well, it's understandable because certainly I have no objections of her doing magazines, interviews and performing on TV, etc. But for me, I rather her just concentrate on the music and putting on a great show, rather seeing her sit through another interview, pretty much answering the same questions over and over. And I think the lack of promotion is over exaggerated. I just think most people aren't happy with the promotion that there is, and they prefer to see more of Madonna such as in live performances and talking about her songs as you said yourself. But we'll soon see the performances.

I respect her lack of interest in doing the talk show circuit or whoring herself on shows like Dancing with the Stars and instead focusing on putting on a great tour, which makes fans happy and lines her pockets. So if the lack of traditional promotion (or any promotion at all) bothers me, it's because of the overt attempts at scoring hits by "buying" songs or just plain dumbing herself down ("Girl Gone Wild," "Revolver," etc.). What's the point of reducing the quality of your album/career if you're not going to at least do what's necessary to make those songs hits? At least with "4 Minutes," she put in the time and effort doing tons of radio interviews - which truly did help that song become a hit.

I respect her lack of interest in doing the talk show circuit or whoring herself on shows like Dancing with the Stars and instead focusing on putting on a great tour, which makes fans happy and lines her pockets. So if the lack of traditional promotion (or any promotion at all) bothers me, it's because of the overt attempts at scoring hits by "buying" songs or just plain dumbing herself down ("Girl Gone Wild," "Revolver," etc.). What's the point of reducing the quality of your album/career if you're not going to at least do what's necessary to make those songs hits? At least with "4 Minutes," she put in the time and effort doing tons of radio interviews - which truly did help that song become a hit.

I'm coming over to the side that says she's making lighter dance albums because she wants her tour to me a fun affair instead of DWT or TGS.

I'm coming over to the side that says she's making lighter dance albums because she wants her tour to me a fun affair instead of DWT or TGS.

Wasn't TGS fun enough to you? :manson:

surely she has to make a lot of money for live nation, but what about interscope? doesn't she feel the obligation to make the album a success so that interscope doesn't feel like they made a wrong choice?

surely she has to make a lot of money for live nation, but what about interscope? doesn't she feel the obligation to make the album a success so that interscope doesn't feel like they made a wrong choice?

Well, if I recall right, she has a three album deal with Interscope for one million each, so she's already made that back and then some just with U.S. sales.

She doesn't have to do interviews but performances on TV would be nice. Now that she's on Interscope, I'm sure they'd gladly have her perform on Idol.

Ugh no, she would look desperate :manson:

I don't want her to lower herself to that. Idol is good for new artists but certainly not for legends like Madonna.

Guest bluejean

What's the point of reducing the quality of your album/career if you're not going to at least do what's necessary to make those songs hits? At least with "4 Minutes," she put in the time and effort doing tons of radio interviews - which truly did help that song become a hit.

I agree. Although 4 years ago I recall a discussion about those radio interviews, what a waste of time that and the minimal TV promotion she was doing was and "why isn't she performing on TV?" :lol: It seems very clear that the main reason Madonna isn't doing this stuff is because she just doesn't want to.

Guest groovyguy

https://twitter.com/#!/guyoseary

Milos Curakovic ‏ @MilosC89

@guyoseary Fans are worried about this MDNA second week drop in charts...Just tell us everything is gonna be ok, so we can stop worrying...

Guy Oseary Guy Oseary ‏ @guyoseary

@MilosC89 stop worrying.. MDNA will be promoted live all over the world...

Guy Oseary ‏ @guyoseary

@MadonnaSpain I do understand them... Some artists do all tv promotion and tour much after the album comes out.. MDNA tour will be soon..

LOL @ the responses to Guy O's reply:

Xtina & Madonna Fan♔ ‏ @QueenMadonna17

@guyoseary A tour doesn't help album sales. It's tv appearance and live performances that do.

14h Madonna Knights Madonna Knights ‏ @MadonnaKnights

@guyoseary with mdna tour :-D yes

14h Fra Yeshua MDNA Fra Yeshua MDNA ‏ @francescoyeshua

@guyoseary @milosc89 But in USA the tour will be in late summer! So no promo for 4 months in America! ;(

14h Paul Rivas Paul Rivas ‏ @paulrivas88

@guyoseary Would you like to be Christina Aguilera´s new manager? @TheRealXtina Her current one sucks!

14h OSCAR OSCAR ‏ @ogracia

@guyoseary @MilosC89 good answer Guy... So many drama queens in Serbia Lol lol

The campaign was planned in advance. The idea was to launch GMAYL at the Superbowl and the Superbowl was the main promotion for the song as well as the tour. It had a huge radio push and an expensive video with the intention to send it flying up the charts. It didn't happen because the song is crap. They probably blamed that on the leak so they rush released a 2nd single with a video. That flopped. By this stage there were already tour rehearsals planned and the tour dates were already on sale. They can't just drop tour rehearsals and send Madonna on a promo stint when the tour, there IS a deadline for the tour to be ready.

You can't say they didn't try and fix it, GGW came out much sooner than anticipated with a fan pleasing video. As for W.E., that was bad timing but I believe that was out of Guy's hands as he was not managing the whole film release. They could have delayed the album but that would have meant skipping the Superbowl which was a mega opportunity that noone in their right mind would pass up. Guy probably twisted Madonna's arm to commit to that when she had a movie coming out at the same time.

Perhaps the tour could have started abit later but I'm guessing they wanted it all to coincide nicely with the Superbowl (which it did.) And they obviously thought GMAYL was better than it was which is the main mistake imo.

Martin Solveig was surprised that they chose GMAYL as the lead single (clearly, he didn't see it as lead single material), but he said that when he heard about the Superbowl gig, it made complete sense.

I've yet to meet a single person (non-hardcore fan) that actually liked GMAYL.

Ironically (given its lack of success outside the US), I know quite a few teenagers who really like GMAYL.

I wonder if they get their album cut from US ticket sales regardless if they are redeemed. I have a feeling this was all 100% worked out beforehand so that everyone would be happy.

@guyoseary Fans are worried about this MDNA second week drop in charts...Just tell us everything is gonna be ok, so we can stop worrying...

Guy Oseary ‏ @guyoseary

@MadonnaSpain I do understand them... Some artists do all tv promotion and tour much after the album comes out.. MDNA tour will be soon..

@guyoseary A tour doesn't help album sales. It's tv appearance and live performances that do.

@guyoseary @milosc89 But in USA the tour will be in late summer! So no promo for 4 months in America! ;(

@guyoseary Would you like to be Christina Aguilera´s new manager? @TheRealXtina Her current one sucks!

LOL Madonna and Guy aren't the ones worried, and this is their career.

LOL Madonna and Guy aren't the ones worried, and this is their career.

Their? :confused:

Reminds me of GO saying "WE are going to record in the studio..." "WE are working on it..." as if :manson:

Well isn't Madonna Guy's only client (you can tell). If her income goes down so does his percentage.

Isn't he the manager of ARod and that whole Twilight crap that is still going on?

Guest bluejean

Their? :confused:

Reminds me of GO saying "WE are going to record in the studio..." "WE are working on it..." as if :manson:

He's been her business partner for over 10 years. When he starts saying "I'm" it will be time to worry :lol:

I really can't bare to read his tweets justifying everything.

Well, if I recall right, she has a three album deal with Interscope for one million each, so she's already made that back and then some just with U.S. sales.

I remember that $1M figure, but not sure where it came from. That's extremely low. Besides, there's no way Interscope has only spent on $1M on MDNA. $1M probably didn't even pay for the music videos, let alone the TV ads, print ads, online marketing, etc. and the actual production of the album.

well it seems as if guy oseary has something never before seen, extraordinary and spectacular up the sleeves to use mdna to highly promote the album. but im not holding much hope for it.

I wonder if they get their album cut from US ticket sales regardless if they are redeemed. I have a feeling this was all 100% worked out beforehand so that everyone would be happy.

i do think interscope does take a percentage cut of the album part of the ticket sales since they say it's already included in the bundle. if they don't, maybe interscope would complain.

Well isn't Madonna Guy's only client (you can tell). If her income goes down so does his percentage.

lol guy oseary has nothing to fear. madonna will probably be earn usd$200 million when forbes june 2013 celeb 100 list comes out. without oprah being a huge earner now that her cable channel is underperforming, maybe madonna will top for once.

I remember that $1M figure, but not sure where it came from. That's extremely low. Besides, there's no way Interscope has only spent on $1M on MDNA. $1M probably didn't even pay for the music videos, let alone the TV ads, print ads, online marketing, etc. and the actual production of the album.

i don't think that amount was to produce the album. it was more of distribution and some marketing only. the marketing part was probably handled together with live nation, since they also promoted give me all your luvin' to death on the radio. some figures also say $10 million for each album, but i'm also skeptical, since live nation and madonna will both take a cut of the sales, making it a lot less profitable for interscope.

Guy Oseary ‏ @guyoseary

What a mess. :lmao: This is just disgusting and Guy clueless as always. :confused:

from Matt @ Boy Culture

read the full entry here: http://boyculture.typepad.com/boy_culture/2012/04/reloaded-front-loaded.html

" her manager, Guy Oseary, is fielding an awful lot of angry tweets from fans about her lack of promotion.

"You're thinking traditionally. Talk to me in a year," he says. Well, in a year, barring a miraculous radio hit in the form of something like "Turn Up the Radio," Madonna will likely have the most successful solo tour ever (again) and have made lots of money from selling perfume (she has no time to promote the album due to tour rehearsals, but does have an evening to spend promoting the fragrance?), but her album will have sold a grand total of 500,000? 600,000? Not a disaster, but not nearly the big success people thought she had in store after her Super Bowl shuffle and a long wait between albums.

It seems that Madonna, Inc., does not care about the album's fortunes, and I guess that means we traditionalists shouldn't either. Many Madonna fans love MDNA—many more than loved Hard Candy—and it's gotten generally, if not universally, positive reviews. I guess I think if you do an album of which you're proud, you want it to get out there and succeed on every level. In the mind of Madonna, Inc., perhaps performing most of it live to an audience of millions beats selling it, disc by disc, to a similar number. "

from Matt @ Boy Culture

read the full entry here: http://boyculture.ty...ont-loaded.html

" her manager, Guy Oseary, is fielding an awful lot of angry tweets from fans about her lack of promotion.

"You're thinking traditionally. Talk to me in a year," he says. Well, in a year, barring a miraculous radio hit in the form of something like "Turn Up the Radio," Madonna will likely have the most successful solo tour ever (again) and have made lots of money from selling perfume (she has no time to promote the album due to tour rehearsals, but does have an evening to spend promoting the fragrance?), but her album will have sold a grand total of 500,000? 600,000? Not a disaster, but not nearly the big success people thought she had in store after her Super Bowl shuffle and a long wait between albums.

It seems that Madonna, Inc., does not care about the album's fortunes, and I guess that means we traditionalists shouldn't either. Many Madonna fans love MDNA—many more than loved Hard Candy—and it's gotten generally, if not universally, positive reviews. I guess I think if you do an album of which you're proud, you want it to get out there and succeed on every level. In the mind of Madonna, Inc., perhaps performing most of it live to an audience of millions beats selling it, disc by disc, to a similar number. "

:manson: