MDNA Promo Discussion - "non-traditional campaign"?

Apples388

she never gets huge boots from doing tv anyway, maybe after the over-exposure of Lady Gaga they want to say they did it the opposite way... to sell, the album needs a hit song- will probably happen in Europe with whatever they pick for 3rd single (now that they have the least single worthy out of the way, lol) and America is probably done, but has the album redemption.

I think bluejean got it all. The lack of promo is intentional and was planned way before. The first week of album sales didnt impressed me at all. I mean, she did better with hard candy, a first spot is expected by a Madonna album so no big surprise here. I think we all gonna see the album falling free on the charts. I wish be wrong for sure.

But look at the singles! Its embarrassing! Madonna never suffered in her career to have a hit. And now look at this. GMAYL is her worst lead single ever (in the charts) and dont let me start with GGW, is a total flop! I don't know what is happening! I dont blame the radios, because they always played madonna songs before. But this time is different, is like interscope and Madonna doesn't want to be played! Is crazy I know! In my opinion is a total lack of respect with her fans. Seriously, I love the album, I like all singles, I'm sure I will adore the tour. But is not just this. I want to see my idol topping the world chart with amzing songs again!

Maybe I'm crying too much I know. But it is what I'm feeling right now.

This has happened before: American Life.

First single (AL) did barely scrap Top40 and Hollywood didn't even chart..

GMAYL and GGW did slightly better.

I hope MDNA will flop as hard as possible.

So that Bitch will not take things for granted.

She can't just rely on fans solely.

She needs non-fans to buy her new music as well.

Guest bluejean

^Ok. Those singles did better internationally but were not very big hits there either.

Both peaked at #2 in the UK. That's huge compared to GMAYL and GGW.

Guest bluejean

In fact "American Life" was Number 1 in the UK midweeks but was overtaken on Saturday by that horrible Room 5 song "Make Luv."

It must have been a pretty bad chart week :lol:

If the focus is 100% on tour they won't give a shit about the album sales. So fuck that. I would love some tradicional promo but they've made their decision so be it. :dazed: Bring on the tour Madonna. :)

tumblr_m19etsboII1qd5roro2_500.gif

have we ever had a "why doesn't she do a tour!" thread? :lol:

I betchu from 1995-2000 we woulda been FULL TO THE BRIM of threads like that!

I think it's lame that Madonna hasn't done an amazing promo circuit like Confessions for the last two albums, but with her wanting to tour pretty quickly after releasing the albums, I understand why. This is the fastest she's EVER gone on tour after an album.

Music: September 2000, Tour June 2001

American Life: April 2003, Tour May 2004

Confessions: November 2005, tour May 2006

Hard Poon: April 2008, Tour August 2008

MDNA: March 2012, Tour May 2012 :shock:

If they wanted this album to be more of a success, tehy should have chosen a better song to kick it off. I mean when I heard Turn Up The Radio I was like "UMMM...HELLO?"

In fact "American Life" was Number 1 in the UK midweeks but was overtaken on Saturday by that horrible Room 5 song "Make Luv."

Crazy For You reissue as well by that reissue of The Clash's "Should I Stay Or Should I Go", most notable for the DEFINITIVE Kylie live version of course. :wow:

And I think American Life fell to no 13 the next week, unstable fanbase only single sales.

If the focus is 100% on tour they won't give a shit about the album sales. So fuck that. I would love some tradicional promo but they've made their decision so be it. :dazed: Bring on the tour Madonna. :)

I'm sure I am wasting my time..., but you and some others are only looking at the smaller picture here. After all, what is truly "traditional promotion"? In fact, in past decades (especially before 80's artists came along and changed how we visually see them), it was always record an album and then go on tour to support the album. Therefore, touring is "traditional promotion". That's how it used to be and still is for many acts. Now, I'm not saying that the tour will increase record sales for HER, but for smaller acts it usually does since they don't have the same media exposure that she does. These days, touring for an artist like Madonna is big business. This is where the money is going to be made. After all, she did get a nice chunk of change from Live Nation to tour for the next number of years. So it shouldn't really be a big shock to any one of us that she immediately goes on tour soon after the release of her album.

It's so easy to say... "oh, but she could do some promotional performances or appearances here and there", but honestly how much more is that really going to help especially from Madonna and her company's perspective? Are we really expecting this album to even reach the potential of RAY OF LIGHT, MUSIC and/or CONFESSION sales?? Realistically, NO! This means, she needs to put all her time, money and effort into touring. Wasting her time and money to perform on TV or free gigs to sell a few more albums will not even compare to the amount of money she will generate on tour.

I realize we all wish Madonna would be as mainstream as she used to be on radio and the charts. I know we all want to see her videos and her presence on the small screen like in the past, but let's be realistic. It's very rare for any artist (especially a female artist) over 40 and even more 50, to get the same sort of exposure and sales that she once did. It doesn't even make a difference if the album is phenomenal because the fact is, I've heard plenty of older artists over the years who have made great records yet sales were low. The fact is, they aren't able to maintain the same sort of exposure Madonna use to get. Madonna isn't able to maintain the same sort of exposure she used to get.

Right now, I'd say the exposure and attention she is still getting is far more than normal in the pop world for any woman her age. Considering the state of music business, she's still doing quite well, selling a decent amount of albums and a shit load of concert tickets.

I'd say that she did her part, by taking advantage of a huge event like the Superbowl to maximize attention on her upcoming tour, and released two great videos for both of her singles. Sure, she could have went on IDOL, DANCING WITH STARS, DAVID LETTERMEN, but would that of matter when the objective here seems to me is to maximize sales for concert tickets in a time when the music business is in the tank.

I hope MDNA will flop as hard as possible.

So that Bitch will not take things for granted.

She can't just rely on fans solely.

She needs non-fans to buy her new music as well.

Traditional promotion won't get non-fans interested in a brand (Madonna) they could give a fuck about.

Traditional promotion won't get non-fans interested in a brand (Madonna) they could give a fuck about.

Non-traditional promotion didn't get non-fans interested in a brand (Madonna) they could give a fuck about either. :dazed:

So now what? So now what?

Non-traditional promotion didn't get non-fans interested in a brand (Madonna) they could give a fuck about either. :dazed:

So now what? So now what?

I want to kiss you in Paris...I want to hold your hand in Rome

i disagree-tv performances would help the singles in america

has she ever done a highly popular show like American Idol or The Voice, to her that might seem tacky, but thats how songs seem to chart these days, one performance on there and the singles numbers will jump....maybe radio would then give it a go.

once she goes on tour-thats it-the artist just disappears from the spotlight unless their in ur country on that day or two. other than that no one will care.

I'm sure I am wasting my time..., but you and some others are only looking at the smaller picture here. After all, what is truly "traditional promotion"?

Well, Guy Oseary himself names this strategy as "untradicional". So, there you have it. And regarding the exposure, currently it is solidly based on her name alone.

Well, Guy Oseary himself names this strategy as "untradicional". So, there you have it. And regarding the exposure, currently it is solidly based on her name alone.

For someone who you seem to hold very little respect for, you sure hang on every little word of his don't you? Anyway, I hope you can enjoy the music, rather be so fixated on charts and radio success. In fact, she's proven that she still can sell a shitload of concert tickets on the back of several supposed flop albums... EROTICA/THE GIRLIE SHOW, AMERICAN LIFE/RE-INVENTION TOUR, and HARD CANDY/STICKY AND SWEET. Not only that, she was able to sell another shit load of tickets for this current tour, based on one supposed "shitty first single" and an unheard album. But yeah, some are trying to insist she needs a hit song to sell tickets. :lmao:

For someone who you seem to hold very little respect for, you sure hang on every little word of his don't you? Anyway, I hope you can enjoy the music, rather be so fixated on charts and radio success. In fact, she's proven that she still can sell a shitload of concert tickets on the back of several supposed flop albums... EROTICA/THE GIRLIE SHOW, AMERICAN LIFE/RE-INVENTION TOUR, and HARD CANDY/STICKY AND SWEET. Not only that, she was able to sell another shit load of tickets for this current tour, based on one supposed "shitty first single" and an unheard album. But yeah, some are trying to insist she needs a hit song to sell tickets. :lmao:

You know what gays, he does have a point!!

But all 3 tours were during different music climates.

In fact, now that I think about it, MDNA should have actually been released on the day of the world tour kick off. But logistics in terms of time prevented that, of course.

Something to keep in mind for the next album and "non-traditional promo" then, Guy O: release the record on the same day as the tour kicks off. Or maybe even release the record on the day concert tickets go on sale worldwide (would need a big concerted effort, but can work) - now that would guarantee something like 1-1.5 million+ first-week sales. Who cares about the album having legs, right? :bad:

I'm sure I am wasting my time..., but you and some others are only looking at the smaller picture here. After all, what is truly "traditional promotion"? In fact, in past decades (especially before 80's artists came along and changed how we visually see them), it was always record an album and then go on tour to support the album. Therefore, touring is "traditional promotion". That's how it used to be and still is for many acts. Now, I'm not saying that the tour will increase record sales for HER, but for smaller acts it usually does since they don't have the same media exposure that she does. These days, touring for an artist like Madonna is big business. This is where the money is going to be made. After all, she did get a nice chunk of change from Live Nation to tour for the next number of years. So it shouldn't really be a big shock to any one of us that she immediately goes on tour soon after the release of her album.

It's so easy to say... "oh, but she could do some promotional performances or appearances here and there", but honestly how much more is that really going to help especially from Madonna and her company's perspective? Are we really expecting this album to even reach the potential of RAY OF LIGHT, MUSIC and/or CONFESSION sales?? Realistically, NO! This means, she needs to put all her time, money and effort into touring. Wasting her time and money to perform on TV or free gigs to sell a few more albums will not even compare to the amount of money she will generate on tour.

I realize we all wish Madonna would be as mainstream as she used to be on radio and the charts. I know we all want to see her videos and her presence on the small screen like in the past, but let's be realistic. It's very rare for any artist (especially a female artist) over 40 and even more 50, to get the same sort of exposure and sales that she once did. It doesn't even make a difference if the album is phenomenal because the fact is, I've heard plenty of older artists over the years who have made great records yet sales were low. The fact is, they aren't able to maintain the same sort of exposure Madonna use to get. Madonna isn't able to maintain the same sort of exposure she used to get.

Right now, I'd say the exposure and attention she is still getting is far more than normal in the pop world for any woman her age. Considering the state of music business, she's still doing quite well, selling a decent amount of albums and a shit load of concert tickets.

I'd say that she did her part, by taking advantage of a huge event like the Superbowl to maximize attention on her upcoming tour, and released two great videos for both of her singles. Sure, she could have went on IDOL, DANCING WITH STARS, DAVID LETTERMEN, but would that of matter when the objective here seems to me is to maximize sales for concert tickets in a time when the music business is in the tank.

FIVE PARAGRAPHS :lmao::lmao:

the one thing i hope for is more singles and videos highlighting the dark/introspective side of mdna

cuz it would be a pity if this era ends with only gmayl and ggw representing the album...it deserves better

I had always thought Madonna toured unconventionally from the start anyway. For the most part, her tours were usually a year or so after the release of a major album release. Most artists tend to go out on tour as soon as they drop the album. To me, it seems to tour immediately shows one enthusiasm to showcase their album on the road.

Aren't you confusing me with someone else? :confused:

Since when am i talking about the charts or radio??? im talking about promotion for what i care! And that is to se MADONNA on TV, magazine covers, interviews, marketing or whatever they can to put her face everywhere for us to feel the MDNA era as we should. But whatever, you are off your rocker while im talking about bananas and you are talking about potatoes! :wacko: