MDNA Promo Discussion - "non-traditional campaign"?

Apples388

I think bluejean got it all. The lack of promo is intentional and was planned way before. The first week of album sales didnt impressed me at all. I mean, she did better with hard candy, a first spot is expected by a Madonna album so no big surprise here. I think we all gonna see the album falling free on the charts. I wish be wrong for sure.

But look at the singles! Its embarrassing! Madonna never suffered in her career to have a hit. And now look at this. GMAYL is her worst lead single ever (in the charts) and dont let me start with GGW, is a total flop! I don't know what is happening! I dont blame the radios, because they always played madonna songs before. But this time is different, is like interscope and Madonna doesn't want to be played! Is crazy I know! In my opinion is a total lack of respect with her fans. Seriously, I love the album, I like all singles, I'm sure I will adore the tour. But is not just this. I want to see my idol topping the world chart with amzing songs again!

Maybe I'm crying too much I know. But it is what I'm feeling right now.

Honestly I don't mean to be rude but who cares. Madonna obviously doesn't. I think she's beyond whoring around TV shows to get ONE MORE hit. She just wants to do her work and present her vision. I was a little butthurt at it too in the beginning but I think she's making the right choice. How long can she play that game? OH ELLEN LETS DANCE TO MY NEW SONG GIRL GONE WILD YAY. It's just silly.

Let's just flash back to COADF please -

UK

* Parkinson full hour interview + 2 musical performances

* Interview with Dermot O'Leary

Europe

* MTV EMAs performance

* Pulse interview (Holland)

* Star Academy - 2 musical performances (France)

Australia

* Andy G interview

* Molly Meldrum interview

US

* David Letterman interview

* Grammys performance + Ellen interview

Japan

* SMAP

* TV performance

etc. etc.

+ generic junket type things...

I'm just SAYING...

the only other thing I can come up with is maybe they are looking to sell a live broadcast of the tour and they think the best deal would come if Madonna hasn't been seen live on TV since the SB- with the ratings she got there (higher than the game) that could be a lot of $$$

I don't think anyone would give big cash for a Madonna show after what happened with Confessions on NBC.

Although I have to say the rare public appearances she's made have made headlines.

The UMF appearance and the infamous "Molly" remark did generate huge buzz (for better or worse.)

If she did more interviews on TV then we'd all be bitching about how boring they are. However, a performance wouldn't hurt... she can use the tour choreography for the performance. Only show I can see making much of an impact is American Idol, so they'd have to fly out to LA for the day and I think it's well worth it. On another note, I read some of the remarks fans have made to Guy and a lot of them are uncalled for and embarrassing, no need for people to be so rude to him.

she only does "regular" promotion for things that are not her music...and of course we are madonna fans because of her perfume! or ehr films! or her children books! :lmao:

I think she thinks the music will sell itself without any help...

I don't think anyone would give big cash for a Madonna show after what happened with Confessions on NBC.

I don't blame NBC for being handed a DVD to play and not really bothering to get it an audience. What I mean is something like LIVE from Yankee Stadium (lets say) aired on HBO, I think there's an audience for that?

I think Bluejean really hit the nail on the head there. The major caveat in the story is that Madonna's team had no idea that GMAYL would be such a huge flop. Which is a bit bizarre because, if anything, they should have internalised the reaction from the leaked demo (which was mostly negative, let's face it) and come up with a Plan B.

Although I have to say the rare public appearances she's made have made headlines.

The UMF appearance and the infamous "Molly" remark did generate huge buzz (for better or worse.)

IMO people are AWARE she has an album but have no idea if it's any good, what's on it etc.

IMO people are AWARE she has an album but have no idea if it's any good, what's on it etc.

Most of my friends and colleagues at work had no idea she even had a new album out.

I played it at work and a lot of people were saying, "Oh I had no idea she has a record out."

And most "close friends" that I forcefeed Madonna to (we all do it - don't be shy) have all really liked "Girl Gone Wild" and "Masterpiece".

I've yet to meet a single person (non-hardcore fan) that actually liked GMAYL.

Guest bluejean

As for Guy and his 'talk to me in a year' tweets, he obviously means talk to me in a year when I can flaunt the tours huge earnings. Like Madonna will suddenly have a change of heart and do TV shows in Korea or something. If anything, he should just shut up and stop arguing with fans on Twitter like he's a 13 year old girl. Seriously, twitter worst ever.

Agree 100% with you.

the only other thing I can come up with is maybe they are looking to sell a live broadcast of the tour and they think the best deal would come if Madonna hasn't been seen live on TV since the SB- with the ratings she got there (higher than the game) that could be a lot of $$$

:lol: Nah.

I suppose they may have some sort of arrangement with the major TV shows to have a live 'hookup' whereby professionally-filmed performances from the tour would be shown on the TV shows in their musical segment.

This is what I was thinking. Maybe she'll have do live satellite interviews right before the show? Who knows? It won't kill me if she doesn't go that extra step.

I was also under the impression that Interscope had originally planned lots of promo, but M scrapped the plans cause in her mind, the album will "sell itself." It's odd with it being Interscope, you'd expect all these promotional strategies to take place, yet, we haven't even got that much. Not even one magazine cover, which is just ABSURD in my mind!

If she did more interviews on TV then we'd all be bitching about how boring they are. However, a performance wouldn't hurt... she can use the tour choreography for the performance. Only show I can see making much of an impact is American Idol, so they'd have to fly out to LA for the day and I think it's well worth it. On another note, I read some of the remarks fans have made to Guy and a lot of them are uncalled for and embarrassing, no need for people to be so rude to him.

Agreed. I keep reading that Guy should stop responding. And eventually, that is what he's going to do, and then the fans are going to get pissed about him not saying anything. So no matter what he does, he's going to get shit for what ever he does. Sure, he doesn't have to respond, but then again, some of the fans who are harassing him should shut up as well. Her previous managers wouldn't give fans the "time of day". I realize we live in a different time, but can you imagine Freddy DeMann, putting up with such fans? He wouldn't. Some fans should just quit their day job and run Madonna's career instead. They seem to think they know how to do it better than Guy or Madonna, even though they've been quite successful for the last thirty years.

Guest bluejean

I think Bluejean really hit the nail on the head there. The major caveat in the story is that Madonna's team had no idea that GMAYL would be such a huge flop. Which is a bit bizarre because, if anything, they should have internalised the reaction from the leaked demo (which was mostly negative, let's face it) and come up with a Plan B.

For some unknown reason Guy seemed to believe the response to the leak was positive.

But I think that interview with Solveig revealed otherwise, the one where he said they would have gone with another song if it wasn't for Minaj/MIA and the Superbowl connection. By the time it leaked they were stuck with it as the 1st single otherwise they would have to have ousted the 2 feature artists which they probably thought were a huge selling point :lol: And they were already planned as part of the Superbowl with the whole cheerleader theme which matched the song. So you can sort of see why they stayed with the song. I'm just amazed they ever decided it was good in the 1st place.

I agree, neither single would really work in that setting.

But she can do American Idol, X-Factor, The Voice or any other bullshit americans like.

I can't wait for the next album launch: You can only get a copy by buying a $400 concert ticket.

I guess that's what going to happen from now on. You have to buy the concert ticket to get an (free) album. But hello? She can't fucking go on tour when she turns 60. she'll fucking die on the stage!

Perhaps they're planning on the Truth Or Dare Bundle. Buy an overpriced perfume bottle, get a free MDNA album. is it going to be like this from now on?

I just can't believe that the tour is more important than the album. they should have the same priority! I think it's all SNAFU at interscope/livenation.

Most of my friends and colleagues at work had no idea she even had a new album out.

I played it at work and a lot of people were saying, "Oh I had no idea she has a record out."

And most "close friends" that I forcefeed Madonna to (we all do it - don't be shy) have all really liked "Girl Gone Wild" and "Masterpiece".

I've yet to meet a single person (non-hardcore fan) that actually liked GMAYL.

:thumbsup:

Suedehead, you're so right. Not many ppl know her new album is out YET! And i thought non-traditional promo work. what a joke.

Let's just flash back to COADF please -

UK

* Parkinson full hour interview + 2 musical performances

* Interview with Dermot O'Leary

Europe

* MTV EMAs performance

* Pulse interview (Holland)

* Star Academy - 2 musical performances (France)

Australia

* Andy G interview

* Molly Meldrum interview

US

* David Letterman interview

* Grammys performance + Ellen interview

Japan

* SMAP

* TV performance

etc. etc.

+ generic junket type things...

I'm just SAYING...

even there was a mini concert at Roseland Ballroom for HC promo, and hundreds of ppl were waiting in line just to see her. i can just SIGH!

Honestly I don't mean to be rude but who cares. Madonna obviously doesn't. I think she's beyond whoring around TV shows to get ONE MORE hit. She just wants to do her work and present her vision. I was a little butthurt at it too in the beginning but I think she's making the right choice. How long can she play that game? OH ELLEN LETS DANCE TO MY NEW SONG GIRL GONE WILD YAY. It's just silly.

Well that was the point of my post. I care.

Honestly, can you see Madonna going on Idol to perform in front of JENNIFER LOPEZ and that Aerosmith guy? I know we said the same thing and she did the french Star Acadedmy but I don't know... It just seems beneath her.

It may be "beneath" her. But if she wants to be current, she has to play the game.

Guest bluejean

Agreed. I keep reading that Guy should stop responding. And eventually, that is what he's going to do, and then the fans are going to get pissed about him not saying anything. So no matter what he does, he's going to get shit for what ever he does. Sure, he doesn't have to respond, but then again, some of the fans who are harassing him should shut up as well. Her previous managers wouldn't give fans the "time of day". I realize we live in a different time, but can you imagine Freddy DeMann, putting up with such fans? He wouldn't. Some fans should just quit their day job and run Madonna's career instead. They seem to think they know how to do it better than Guy or Madonna, even though they've been quite successful for the last thirty years.

Yes I agree. It's one thing for us to discuss and speculate it on the board for the fun of it but people who have the audacity to go and tell Madonna's actual manager in such a rude manner how to run her career is just friggin embarrassing. He's an actual professional working in the music industry. He should ignore them. Or maybe interacting with them is part of his "non traditional promo" :lmao:

posted yesterday:

@guyoseary do you already have chosen next single?

Guy Oseary ‏

@fabiodispa we have no idea yet what the next single is.... (emphasis mine)

That screams to me they have no intention of putting out another single, sorry but no full length GB vid, maybe a tour vid if we're lucky.

I guess that's what going to happen from now on. You have to buy the concert ticket to get an (free) album. But hello? She can't fucking go on tour when she turns 60. she'll fucking die on the stage!

Perhaps they're planning on the Truth Or Dare Bundle. Buy an overpriced perfume bottle, get a free MDNA album. is it going to be like this from now on?

I just can't believe that the tour is more important than the album. they should have the same priority! I think it's all SNAFU at interscope/livenation.

You can't be serious? That's where the money is made. Looking at the current scene of lacking record sales, they knew exactly what to aim for. TOUR! Remember, she has a huge deal with LIVE NATION which centers around her touring. And it's not that the album isn't important, but you act like the album is simply forgotten. It's not. It will be hugely represented on tour. That's how it should work. An artist produces an album and then they go out on tour to support it. It may not generate much more sales for the album these days, but the tour itself will generate the revenue LIVE NATION and Madonna is expecting as well as meet their contractual agreements.Madonna is a business as well.

^^

I know the concert is important for her, but they could have done what she did for Confession and Sticky & Sweet Tours. There was a plan for success there. Why reinventing the wheel?

I just think the timeline is all wrong. she should be free from rehearsal on her debut week. Just one week to promote the god damn album!

maybe they should have just postponed the tour a month or so. they're exhausting the queen.

Guest dcfma

It saddens and shocks me to say this, but with the exception of the wonderful SuperBowl push, I miss Warner Brothers.

Madonna used to be so brilliant at marketing/promotion. I don't know what has happened the last few years. How can you release an album

and not even attempt to give a few interviews/have a few magazine covers. How can you be in the entertainment capital of the world (Los Angeles)

and not bother to even do almost any promotion for your new album accept for a chat on Facebook.

I don't whether to blame Madonna or Interscope more. I think I'll blame both. Thousands of arts around the world would die to have the potential

marketing power Madonna can have, and at this stage of her career in regards to her music it seems like it World Tour and money from that and

nothing else matters.

It may be "beneath" her. But if she wants to be current, she has to play the game.

Madonna has been playing the 'game' for 30 years. It makes sense that her priorities have shifted. Also, what's 'current'? Rihanna? Katy Perry? The other one? Madonna is now an elder stateswoman of pop. That has good aspects (respect, instant interest in whatever she does) and negative (radio viewing her as 'old', not being down with 'the kids' etc). Would you really want her to be competing with Katy Perry's 1000th re-release and go on the KIDS CHOICE AWARDS to perform GGW dressed as a knight?

No, she signed with Interscope, they will want her CDs out there to sell.

^^

I just think the timeline is all wrong. she should be free from rehearsal on her debut week. Just one week to promote the god damn album!

maybe they should have just postponed the tour a month or so. they're exhausting the queen.

Do you really think Madonna is some Britney Spears sort of type that gets told 'show up there at that time and learn your moves'? If she wants to do something she'll do it and if she doesn't she won't. In fact I would say that maybe apart from a few business and marketing opportunities, 90% of the decisions in her career come from her and not Guy, that's why she chose someone she could easily manipulate and not some music business dinosaur like Freddy DeMann or Benny Medina or Irving Azoff or whoever.