MDNA Promo Discussion - "non-traditional campaign"?

Apples388

I am finding the current on-line 'spat' (if you will) between Guy Oseary and the fans on Twitter very interesting. This is the first time that we are actually getting information as close to the horse's mouth as possible. And I think it's good that our voices as fans are being heard - we are venting our frustration about the way the album is being handled.

He seems to give the impression that there is some kind of 'masterplan' in place - but there isn't, really, is there? She won't suddenly stop mid-tour and go on the TV show circuit.

The masterplan, if you will, is to maximise concert ticket sales and keep the 'hardcore' fanbase happy with the quality of the music (which we are). This strategy (or, nonconventional promotional campaign, if you will) places no importance whatsoever on actually selling records.

What do we think? Do we care? Or do we accept that this is what the 3rd/4th decade in her career is going to be all about? Is she biting the bullet and accepting the fact that radio will not play her records and there is no point competing with the Gagas, Katy Perrys and Rihannas when it comes to selling records but is happy to trash them when it comes to selling concert tickets?

I just find it a bit... bizarre.

Guest groovyguy

Guy Oseary Guy Oseary ‏ @guyoseary

@FRNCPV @MDNAFANSUNITE thats because you guys don't have all the info... The focus is getting the show together so MDNA can come to life..

Whatever that means.

Maybe the idea is to save the "traditional" promo (TV appearances, radio interviews, magazines) to the time she's on tour? It would be completely unlike her, but maybe she will go on TV in every country she performs in on her days off? If the show is needed to bring MDNA "to life", maybe it will be broadcast live already during the tour, or segments will be made available online in lieu of traditional videos? I have no clue, but really do hope that there is some "masterplan" in place...

The fact that he keeps saying 'come back to me in a year' suggests there is something more afoot than just the tour, surely? Unless he just means that the tour will be so amazing that it will shut up the detractors, in which case he needs to get out more.

I suppose they may have some sort of arrangement with the major TV shows to have a live 'hookup' whereby professionally-filmed performances from the tour would be shown on the TV shows in their musical segment.

But viewers don't really like that sort of thing. If you watch a Late Night show or Jonathan Ross or Ellen or whatever, you expect the musical performer to perform on the show.. don't know.. let's wait and see..

However, my gut feeling is that we will just get the tour and that will be that. But, really, by then it will be a case of too little too late. Look at the UK, for instance - one of her major markets, completely ignored and completely not warming up to this record. By the time she plays the UK shows the album will be out of the Top 40. If the shows inject any sales increase, it will be something like going from Number 73 to Number 28. EPIC FAIL!

they sort of have ads going on tv (Smirnoff shows the album, TorD perfume plays GGW), friends keep texting me to tell me they saw a Madonna ad- so that's something a little bit different for them. I also walked into Macy's yesterday and was bombarded by the perfume ad everywhere. Honestly, all that's probably as good exposure as going on Ellen and being asked about everything but the album.

They probably didn't predict that there would be no real WW hit, since she normally scores those and just has to worry about the US. Watching American Life flop, it seemed like there was nowhere for that album to go, but there's a lot of great material on MDNA and I think if interscope stands behind it, the album will find its way, more than just having a quick, good opening.

Madonna is doing perfume promo at Macy's, so it is possible to do something minor and near where she is preparing for tour (NYC= Letterman, SNL and tons of morning TV). They are intentionally not doing promo for the album, and I think Jimmy Fallon was asked to point it out because there is all some reason for it (same with all the Tarentino Gang Bang stuff that keeps coming up, seems like there's a reason)- if this is how they want it, they have their reasons and it will be interesting to see what happens. If nothing happens, enjoy the tour!

Caitlin Maurath ‏ @caitlin009

@guyoseary Promote MDNA more, its too amazing of an album to just let it fall to the wayside. #PromoteMDNA

Guy Oseary ‏ @guyoseary

@caitlin009 yes.. MDNA tour will be coming to a city near you... If we do tv, the tour will not be ready.. so???????

Isn't he just admitting that the timing of W.E and MDNA was very poorly planned? The time schedule is the managers job.

The fact that he keeps saying 'come back to me in a year' suggests there is something more afoot than just the tour, surely?

Is he saying that? That's weird because I've pictured for this album nothing but the tour and then a Grammy performance next year (not to start any rumours, lol) so the era would be Superbowl/tour/Grammys.

Guest bluejean

Instead of justifying everything all the time I don't know why he doesn't just ignore all those ridiculous tweets. We already know why there's no more promo. All that talk of a "non traditional campaign" is just silly really.

Guest bluejean

The campaign was planned in advance. The idea was to launch GMAYL at the Superbowl and the Superbowl was the main promotion for the song as well as the tour. It had a huge radio push and an expensive video with the intention to send it flying up the charts. It didn't happen because the song is crap. They probably blamed that on the leak so they rush released a 2nd single with a video. That flopped. By this stage there were already tour rehearsals planned and the tour dates were already on sale. They can't just drop tour rehearsals and send Madonna on a promo stint when the tour, there IS a deadline for the tour to be ready.

You can't say they didn't try and fix it, GGW came out much sooner than anticipated with a fan pleasing video. As for W.E., that was bad timing but I believe that was out of Guy's hands as he was not managing the whole film release. They could have delayed the album but that would have meant skipping the Superbowl which was a mega opportunity that noone in their right mind would pass up. Guy probably twisted Madonna's arm to commit to that when she had a movie coming out at the same time.

Perhaps the tour could have started abit later but I'm guessing they wanted it all to coincide nicely with the Superbowl (which it did.) And they obviously thought GMAYL was better than it was which is the main mistake imo.

The campaign was planned in advance. The idea was to launch GMAYL at the Superbowl and the Superbowl was the main promotion for the song as well as the tour. It had a huge radio push and an expensive video with the intention to send it flying up the charts. It didn't happen because the song is crap. They probably blamed that on the leak so they rush released a 2nd single with a video. That flopped. By this stage there were already tour rehearsals planned and the tour dates were already on sale. They can't just drop tour rehearsals and send Madonna on a promo stint when the tour, there IS a deadline for the tour to be ready which is the biggest priority.

I agree, she can't do a promo tour, even if there was time, that's too much work between all she went through for the SB and all she is doing for the tour, fans have to be realistic there.

I rather Madonna focus on putting together a great show, rather going off doing minimal TV or radio appearances which proved to not do much for previous albums. If the album is that great, then it should speak for itself. I think all the energy, time and creativity going into the Superbowl and two videos is suffice for me. All the buzz and little teasers in between was a lot of fun. So now, I own the album. I'm enjoying it, and I'm looking forward to going to a couple MDNA shows. That's all that matters to me.

I rather Madonna focus on putting together a great show, rather going off doing minimal TV or radio appearances which proved to not do much for previous albums. If the album is that great, then it should speak for itself. I think all the energy, time and creativity going into the Superbowl and two videos is suffice to me.

she has worked very hard this era, and delivered a great album :thumbsup:

at the end of its run she may have the highest grossing tour, ever.

They can't just drop tour rehearsals and send Madonna on a promo stint when the tour, there IS a deadline for the tour to be ready.

They can´t do promo because of the rehersals? there was a time when she used to go to london (or paris, I don´t remember it)and the different journalits go tehre to ask the questions...is not that difficult, they can go to NY, and two ours per day answering questions won´t be so hard for her! and they can performe one song from the rehersals, as they did back in 1990 with express yourself)

"you guys don't have all the info."

Don't you guys realize they're planning the more unprecedented marketing push in recorded music history...six months after the album has fallen out of the Top 100?

But seriously, it's irritating that he's pretending there's some secret genius plan or that we don't have "all the info." Don't insult our intelligence. Just tell us the truth: "We care more about touring so that's our focus. There isn't much money to be made in album sales anymore."

I can't wait for the next album launch: You can only get a copy by buying a $400 concert ticket.

I think bluejean got it all. The lack of promo is intentional and was planned way before. The first week of album sales didnt impressed me at all. I mean, she did better with hard candy, a first spot is expected by a Madonna album so no big surprise here. I think we all gonna see the album falling free on the charts. I wish be wrong for sure.

But look at the singles! Its embarrassing! Madonna never suffered in her career to have a hit. And now look at this. GMAYL is her worst lead single ever (in the charts) and dont let me start with GGW, is a total flop! I don't know what is happening! I dont blame the radios, because they always played madonna songs before. But this time is different, is like interscope and Madonna doesn't want to be played! Is crazy I know! In my opinion is a total lack of respect with her fans. Seriously, I love the album, I like all singles, I'm sure I will adore the tour. But is not just this. I want to see my idol topping the world chart with amzing songs again!

Maybe I'm crying too much I know. But it is what I'm feeling right now.

I think bluejean got it all. The lack of promo is intentional and was planned way before. The first week of album sales didnt impressed me at all. I mean, she did better with hard candy, a first spot is expected by a Madonna album so no big surprise here. I think we all gonna see the album falling free on the charts. I wish be wrong for sure.

But look at the singles! Its embarrassing! Madonna never suffered in her career to have a hit. And now look at this. GMAYL is her worst lead single ever (in the charts) and dont let me start with GGW, is a total flop! I don't know what is happening! I dont blame the radios, because they always played madonna songs before. But this time is different, is like interscope and Madonna doesn't want to be played! Is crazy I know! In my opinion is a total lack of respect with her fans. Seriously, I love the album, I like all singles, I'm sure I will adore the tour. But is not just this. I want to see my idol topping the world chart with amzing songs again!

Maybe I'm crying too much I know. But it is what I'm feeling right now.

well we're used to all that in America, lol

you're right she's very busy with rehearsels BUT one day or even two hours of promo doing regis/kelly, letterman and or ellen doesnt seem that much of a time consumming effort. she could ve gone to ellen and letterman and then back to rehearsels or even call or skype with ellen...she did that in the past. AND why is there time to promote a perfume at macy's?? i'd rather have she spend that time on mdna album promo. the album deserves it..

taking 2 or 3 days off to do press a junkit and tv appearances would've been enough and what gets me is that they didn't even bother to do magazine cover shoot/ interviews

yes it's odd... I wonder if they feared overexposure after SB and didn't line that stuff up. But anyway, it should be clear by now she's not overexposed.

I don't blame her for not doing the usual rounds of silly interviews. She did it for W.E. which she seemed a lot more passionate to push. There's no point in doing it again and answering the same questions. As for the performance, she did the ultimate show which was the Superbowl and now is focusing her attention on the tour like she always does. What else can she do? Go on that silly little Letterman stage and do GGW with Kazaky? I just can't see it. Everything was timed around the Superbowl, ticket sales, album presales. She probably told them that's all she was willing to do. As for Guy and his 'talk to me in a year' tweets, he obviously means talk to me in a year when I can flaunt the tours huge earnings. Like Madonna will suddenly have a change of heart and do TV shows in Korea or something. If anything, he should just shut up and stop arguing with fans on Twitter like he's a 13 year old girl. Seriously, twitter worst ever.

the only other thing I can come up with is maybe they are looking to sell a live broadcast of the tour and they think the best deal would come if Madonna hasn't been seen live on TV since the SB- with the ratings she got there (higher than the game) that could be a lot of $$$

she has worked very hard this era, and delivered a great album :thumbsup:

at the end of its run she may have the highest grossing tour, ever.

I think that IS the intention. I don't think any bad planning went on here. Sure, they probably expected GMAYL to be a big hit. The way it was rolled out was perfect. And while I know some of the fans dislike the song, I think the song is a fun little pop song. Radio eventually abandoned it after the promotional obligations were met. And obviously since that went south, they immediately pushed GGW out. In any event, I think the main goal was to get people to her shows. They know that's where the money is going to be made. I'm sure they didn't have any high expectations for the album to sell like hotcakes with the way the record industry is and her previous albums not doing as well when they did all the promotion. To me, they just cut to the chase, and used the Super Bowl to her advantage. I'm sure Guy didn't have to do much twisting of her arm, when she knew the exposure could be used to her advantage.

So we can sit here and skulk about the supposed lack of promotion, or we can enjoy what most of us agree is a GREAT album, and look forward to a fuckin' awesome tour in the coming months.